More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 06:12:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Awesomod discussion/questions/helpful tips thread
0 Members and 5 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 134 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Awesomod discussion/questions/helpful tips thread  (Read 1722668 times)
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: Awesomod discussion/questions/helpful tips thread
« Reply #1100 on: 2009 August 14, 03:02:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you kidding me?  In order for my story progression to work properly I must have cribs in all the houses?  I can't believe that would actually be the problem. Huh

Unfortunately, it is not a jest but relentlessly stubborn Pescadoist rules in action.  Grin

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
shinygobonkers
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: 2009 August 14, 03:21:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i tried with two different sims with no results...will try with the name included and see if that helps. sadly not on same sims as i already edited the larvae and drowned the senile old man Cheesy
DMDye
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: 2009 August 14, 04:30:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let me know while I'm still in a giving/experimenting mood.
kittie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: 2009 August 14, 22:02:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I keep hearing about these 'extra traits" that awesomemod incorporates into the game? One of my sims turned up with a tealdeer trait and I was pleasantly surprised to see it, I think it's great! My question is, is there a way or place I can find out about what the other traits possible are? Not the ones that come with the game but the ones that are thanks to awesomemod. I've looked seemingly everywhere and not been able to find a list of the traits. Huh
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: 2009 August 14, 22:18:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They've been mentioned quite a few times in various threads. There's pedophile, pedobait, registered sex offender, incontinent, tealdeer and tealdeer immune.

keirra
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: 2009 August 14, 22:23:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I keep hearing about these 'extra traits" that awesomemod incorporates into the game? One of my sims turned up with a tealdeer trait and I was pleasantly surprised to see it, I think it's great! My question is, is there a way or place I can find out about what the other traits possible are? Not the ones that come with the game but the ones that are thanks to awesomemod. I've looked seemingly everywhere and not been able to find a list of the traits. Huh

They've been mentioned a bit here http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,16231.0.html

ETA: Adding to Georgette's list there is also Narcolepsy
kittie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: 2009 August 14, 22:37:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks alot!   Grin
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: 2009 August 14, 22:42:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Clicking the Thanks button would have done the trick  Wink

Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: 2009 August 14, 23:10:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been a bit confused about the "maxmotives" command.  It says in its description that it's supposed to affect all the sims on the lot, but in my expirence it seems to affect all the sims in the entire hood.  I don't like to use this command for my active sims, but I have been switching to other houses and using it so the stupid inactives can actually go to work/school instead of peeing themselves and passing out.  The good thing is that I only have to type it in once and the whole hood is Sqeeky Clean, Well Rested, and Having a Blast.  The problem is, it affects my main household as well which is kind of cheaty.  Tongue

TS3: it's really cool if you don't look too closely! - bottles
whoachica
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: 2009 August 14, 23:37:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you kidding me?  In order for my story progression to work properly I must have cribs in all the houses?  I can't believe that would actually be the problem. Huh

Unfortunately, it is not a jest but relentlessly stubborn Pescadoist rules in action.  Grin

If that's the case, why aren't new people moving into my town?  All but four of my houses are empty!
simbolic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: 2009 August 15, 04:26:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FYI monkey installer (right  clicking) seems to have  kept trying to put in yesterday's version rather than today's  for some reason.  Huh  I was playing yesterday's version without knowing it tonight.  May explain issues I was having in the past.  I finally just manually installed it to get the right version.  Check your properties on the file and make sure the date is right. Grin

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: 2009 August 15, 07:48:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If that's the case, why aren't new people moving into my town?  All but four of my house are empty!
There is currently no population generator in AwesomeStory. Population is generated purely by the EA Job System. The reason there is no immigrant generator is simply because I have no idea what are good rules to use that will not tend up being displeasing to a significant number of people. If I try to populate every single house, people are going to complain that there is now a massive housing crisis worse than there already is. If I don't populate houses, people will complain that there aren't enough. There is, unfortunately, not a good answer in a situation where neighborhood space is nearly cripplingly finite. I have some ideas for how to resolve this, but for this, I require a mesher, someone who is able to produce the results I require within the fast-moving timespan I require. We also have to get this done in time so I can declare a final release before the next expansion comes out, as once the expansion is out, I will have to upgrade the code to support it and it may become completely untenable to thus support an obsolete version.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Gary
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: 2009 August 15, 08:04:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm content with no immigration, since I cribified my hood they're breeding like crazy.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: 2009 August 15, 08:28:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And now you see why cribs are part of the equation: Without some kind of bounds check, the population would explode.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Solmyr
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: 2009 August 15, 10:29:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could check the total number of bed space across all houses in the neighborhood and then let us set a percentage in the config that we would like filled. So say if we have 100 bed spaces and set the percentage to 50% then ASM would generate immigrants until there are at least 50 people in the neighborhood.
Gary
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: 2009 August 15, 12:03:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want immigrants you could just have npcs use your active sim as a halfway house.
Buzzler
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: 2009 August 15, 12:38:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are there any experiences on roughly how much cribs are needed to have a more or less stable population size? I don't want my 'hood to die out but I don't want them to "breed like crazy" either...

There is currently no population generator in AwesomeStory. Population is generated purely by the EA Job System.
And this is perfectly fine IMHO. Randomly generated Sims are ugly, have weird trait combinations and wear ugly clothes that don't suit their characters. People who want randomly generated Sims can just randomly generate them in Create-a-Sim IMHO.
whoachica
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: 2009 August 15, 12:51:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I'm sorry to drag this on, but I don't think I have given you all of the facts.  I am not running AM's story mode, I know it sounded like I was because I said I was.  I looked up my config and realised it was disabled (I was a dumbass and thought it defaulted to enabled).  Anyways, I was running AM with default settings and using EA's story progression when my hood started to die out.  Could there be some clash there?  Or am I just completely retarded and the crib thing still applies? 
Whatever the matter is I ghetto-rigged it to work with ISM...
Enelen
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: 2009 August 15, 13:00:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And this is perfectly fine IMHO. Randomly generated Sims are ugly, have weird trait combinations and wear ugly clothes that don't suit their characters. People who want randomly generated Sims can just randomly generate them in Create-a-Sim IMHO.

What's wrong with adding a switch to Enable/Disable Immigration? That way people, who want to populate their hoods can turn it on, and others, like me, who hate random townies can turn it off. Also, you can turn it off, if you notice your neighbourhood is starting to explode.

The only kind of immigration I would like is if townies (not homeless, but people with actual homes) would check the npc pool for possible mates if they can't find a suitable one between themselves. You could hunt for npc spawn with hidden special traits between your innocent looking neighbours  Smiley

Also, does the Ancestral Home system still work? What happens, when I turn it on for say, two families and they marry between each other?

Okay, I'm sorry to drag this on, but I don't think I have given you all of the facts.  I am not running AM's story mode, I know it sounded like I was because I said I was.  I looked up my config and realised it was disabled (I was a dumbass and thought it defaulted to enabled).  Anyways, I was running AM with default settings and using EA's story progression when my hood started to die out.  Could there be some clash there?  Or am I just completely retarded and the crib thing still applies? 
Whatever the matter is I ghetto-rigged it to work with ISM...

No, the default doesn't need cribs, but with immigration off (I think that's default, though I'm not sure) it will pretty much ghostify your town in no time. Try either IS or ASM, they are much better, even when bugged. IMHO ASM is already better than IS, WIP or no.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: 2009 August 15, 13:17:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are there any experiences on roughly how much cribs are needed to have a more or less stable population size? I don't want my 'hood to die out but I don't want them to "breed like crazy" either...
Nope. That's why this is all experimental.

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: 2009 August 15, 13:58:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is currently no population generator in AwesomeStory. Population is generated purely by the EA Job System. The reason there is no immigrant generator is simply because I have no idea what are good rules to use that will not tend up being displeasing to a significant number of people. If I try to populate every single house, people are going to complain that there is now a massive housing crisis worse than there already is. If I don't populate houses, people will complain that there aren't enough. There is, unfortunately, not a good answer in a situation where neighborhood space is nearly cripplingly finite. I have some ideas for how to resolve this, but for this, I require a mesher, someone who is able to produce the results I require within the fast-moving timespan I require. We also have to get this done in time so I can declare a final release before the next expansion comes out, as once the expansion is out, I will have to upgrade the code to support it and it may become completely untenable to thus support an obsolete version.

Hmm, what sort of meshes are we talking about here?

And now you see why cribs are part of the equation: Without some kind of bounds check, the population would explode.

I still think it's an annoyingly tedious and manual solution to something that could be configured in other ways. It's also something that the default EAoid neighborhoods were not set up for. I'm sorry but when it starts getting to the point where you have to jump through hoops to setup your game to work with a mod it just becomes a huge pain in the ass.

What's wrong with adding a switch to Enable/Disable Immigration? That way people, who want to populate their hoods can turn it on, and others, like me, who hate random townies can turn it off. Also, you can turn it off, if you notice your neighbourhood is starting to explode.

The problem with that is by the time you notice you are probably already well into BFBVFS territory. There's no set number you can code to look out for and not go over population wise either because it's completely system dependent.

Indie originally had emmigration turned on and sims would leave town if it "got too crowded" but people complained that families they wanted to go back to play or just wanted to stay around were leaving so he switched it off by default. It also was never really clear just what constituted "too crowded" anyway.

Enelen
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: 2009 August 15, 14:09:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with that is by the time you notice you are probably already well into BFBVFS territory. There's no set number you can code to look out for and not go over population wise either because it's completely system dependent.

Indie originally had emmigration turned on and sims would leave town if it "got too crowded" but people complained that families they wanted to go back to play or just wanted to stay around were leaving so he switched it off by default. It also was never really clear just what constituted "too crowded" anyway.

Well, then you just have to count the immigration notifications and quit at the desired number? Or, Pescado could add a configurable number instead of hard code for desired population, and leave it up for the user to set it to something sensible instead of, say, 1 million? There still would be people who set it too high, but then, there are people who think that if you have a dirty HD, you have to wash it with warm, soapy water...
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: 2009 August 15, 16:35:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's an idea: have there be a configurable setting involving a ratio of played (sacred and/or active) sims to NPCs of their age rank. If more babies/toddlers/children are needed, sims begin spawning. If more teen/ya/adult/elders are needed, families start moving in. So I could set, say, 5 non-played to one playable, and every time my sims have a kid, five other families would spawn. You could then stagger it a little, so it takes a few sim days for the slots to fill instead of having five all at once, but the beauty of it being configurable would be that if our played families get bigger than we expected, we can turn down the ratio to compensate.

INFP or something
Buzzler
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: 2009 August 15, 18:01:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's wrong with adding a switch to Enable/Disable Immigration?
Nothing except the fact that I like almost everyone around here am a greedy leech and find it preferable if Pescados implements/improves features that improve the overall gaming experience and immersion instead of spending time on working on a feature that even at the best of times can't be anything more than half-assed.

Nope. That's why this is all experimental.
Is there any way to estimate the chance of breeding?

I just did some dirty math and based on the default normal life spans (the relations shouldn't be much different for the other life spans) about 7% of a population should be elders past their minimum life span (Marathon Runners ignored and presuming an age distribution relative to the AgingStageLengths). So for a population of 100 Sims set to normal life span, there should be one Sim dying of old age per day. Does that sound about right? Accordingly the ~40% of Sims which are physically capable of breeding would have to hatch one larva per day to preserve the population size.

At any rate the more I think about the crib dependency the more I like it. It's just beautyfully simple and a given numer of cribs should leave to a specific and stable population size without the need of a cheaty global top-down feedback loop simply because the breeding chances decrease if the population is bigger making it more difficult for families to find breeding space and the other way round. That is as long the player doesn't do something incredibly stupid like killing off the entire 'hood without adding a sufficient number of CAS-created Sims to preserve the 'hood from extinction. And even if there are to many cribs to reach an equilibrium the population will just be hard-capped by the number of beds. You just have to admire something that's beautyfully simple and at the same time presumably just as effective.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: 2009 August 15, 18:44:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay well then when one of ya'll figures out the perfect mathematical ratio for cribs and beds in a neighborhood then place them all and put up a save for us to download because I don't want to deal with that sort of micromanagement headache. Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 134 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: