More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 14:15:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Awesomod discussion/questions/helpful tips thread
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 134 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Awesomod discussion/questions/helpful tips thread  (Read 1722965 times)
Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
Re: Awesomod discussion/questions/helpful tips thread
« Reply #975 on: 2009 August 05, 06:18:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I put it in on the fly ... overwriting the previous file ... and had not shut down and restarted the game, so I'm not sure if that matters.
Does that work?  lol  See, I guess I'm still stuck in TS2 mode where that would have just been impossible.

TS3: it's really cool if you don't look too closely! - bottles
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: 2009 August 05, 06:28:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I put it in on the fly ... overwriting the previous file ... and had not shut down and restarted the game, so I'm not sure if that matters.
Does that work?  lol  See, I guess I'm still stuck in TS2 mode where that would have just been impossible.

Haven't heard back from Pescado, so I'm not really sure.  However, I have been able to install custom content with the game running and it sees it, so I thought it would work.  Otherwise, I guess I look like a fool! Embarrassed

In the (should be) immortal words of Ron White:  "You can't fix stupid!"
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: 2009 August 05, 06:31:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's possible to in-place-overwrite a script while the game is running, but the changes will be ignored until the game reloads.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: 2009 August 05, 06:38:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's possible to in-place-overwrite a script while the game is running, but the changes will be ignored until the game reloads.

Okay, so I guess that was due to "old-versioned", since the game would not recognize the changes.  Well, that's good.  Still, it was pretty funny and provided LULZ!  I hadn't really thought too much about what was really going on behind the scenes with those "romance" messages and when I started to read the various posts, I was compelled to check.  My bad!

Falin
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: 2009 August 05, 07:31:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is a bug of the old version. Are you using the latest version? If so, type "checkromances" and see how many broken messages show up. Be sure you are using the latest!

I'm seeing the same thing, I have a Flirty sim that has 3 romantic interests other than his wife by the end of the first Sim day of the neighborhood.

I've downloaded the most recent build posted in the top thread several times (clearing my cache files each time), but when I try "checkromances" (no quotes) in the console it tells me it doesn't recognize the command.

How can I tell if I'm running the very latest version?  I'm downloading what's posted now, but the fact that checkromances isn't a recognized console command makes me nervous.
Simius
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: 2009 August 05, 08:07:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is a bug of the old version. Are you using the latest version? If so, type "checkromances" and see how many broken messages show up. Be sure you are using the latest!

I'm seeing the same thing, I have a Flirty sim that has 3 romantic interests other than his wife by the end of the first Sim day of the neighborhood.

I've downloaded the most recent build posted in the top thread several times (clearing my cache files each time), but when I try "checkromances" (no quotes) in the console it tells me it doesn't recognize the command.

How can I tell if I'm running the very latest version?  I'm downloading what's posted now, but the fact that checkromances isn't a recognized console command makes me nervous.
Clear your browser's cache.  It is possible that it is downloading the old version simply due to that.

Then download/extract the mod.  It should be the 08/04/2009 11:19pm CST one.  If that is what you have downloaded... then you are on the right track.  Now install the mod.  Now go and double check where it installed to.  If it is the correct version there... you have the most current version.

I tried checkromances and it worked earlier... So it should work now.  But if it doesn't let me know and I'll check my version and see if anything is up.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: 2009 August 05, 08:32:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Clear your browser's cache.  It is possible that it is downloading the old version simply due to that.

Then download/extract the mod.  It should be the 08/04/2009 11:19pm CST one.  If that is what you have downloaded... then you are on the right track.  Now install the mod.  Now go and double check where it installed to.  If it is the correct version there... you have the most current version.

I tried checkromances and it worked earlier... So it should work now.  But if it doesn't let me know and I'll check my version and see if anything is up.
[/quote]

Thanks, Simius!  I never realized the caches could actually affect what file is being downloaded.  Anyway, I did as you suggested (cleared all 4 cache files & re-downoaded AwesomeMod, noticing that time is 08/04/09 11:19 CST on this one).  However, I am now getting "Flagrant System Errors" almost constantly.  I'm too tired to deal with it right now, so I'll see what happens tomorrow and try to post the errors if it's still happening.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: 2009 August 05, 08:35:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's a debug command, so you may need to setconfig enabledebugcommands on first.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Shadowed
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: 2009 August 05, 09:44:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hope i'm asking this in the right thread. I downloaded Awesome mod and the framework. For some reason I can't get the config file. I go to AwesomeMod Configuration Tool make my choices click generate and all I get is config.htm. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Cocomama
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: 2009 August 05, 11:12:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Click on the picture of the dinosaur to generate the config file?
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: 2009 August 05, 13:23:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After some more playing I noticed the latest storymods has made my sims too picky. Absolutely nobody has any available romance victims, except for the flirty ones (a grand total of two in the entire hood), who only seem to fool around, and don't get married.

Seems like the pendulum has swung too far to the non-romance side?
Solmyr
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: 2009 August 05, 13:42:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm actually a bit concerned that houses require cribs in order for families in them to have babies. Since most of the default houses don't have cribs that would mean a baby-less neighborhood, which was one of my biggest problems with the original AM. I'm not really looking forward to editing every house making sure they have enough cribs for all their future needs...
Cocomama
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: 2009 August 05, 15:15:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I actually had a good laugh when Don Lothario complained about the lack of romance victims. Why not just make him a few?

And I love it that we need cribs and beds for the families to grow, it is like a bit of birthcontrol right? The families I control will all grow as big as I want, and the townies only if I provided lots with cribs. If you want lots of babies within the townfamilies surely placing a few cribs is not a big deal?
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: 2009 August 05, 15:43:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm also getting a bunch of tries that come up lack of romance victim in the latest build and I have lots of singles in town.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Enelen
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: 2009 August 05, 16:09:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe romance sims should be able to flirt with any other sim, not just another romance one? Say, the unflirty and family oriented sims would be safe, but the others not?

Also, is there a way to see updates for things like births and deaths, that were not caused by story mode? I only played for 4 sim days yesterday, but all I saw was "XY has no available romance victims." while 3 families had babies - but they were not story driven, I made them myself  Grin

I also had a LOL moment when I first got that message, after the sugary "Is there no one in town for poor single XY" by Indie Stone Cheesy

Falin
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: 2009 August 05, 16:49:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How can I tell if I'm running the very latest version?  I'm downloading what's posted now, but the fact that checkromances isn't a recognized console command makes me nervous.
Clear your browser's cache.  It is possible that it is downloading the old version simply due to that.

Then download/extract the mod.  It should be the 08/04/2009 11:19pm CST one.  If that is what you have downloaded... then you are on the right track.  Now install the mod.  Now go and double check where it installed to.  If it is the correct version there... you have the most current version.

I tried checkromances and it worked earlier... So it should work now.  But if it doesn't let me know and I'll check my version and see if anything is up.
Yep, that's the version I was trying to get to work all night last night.  8/04, 11:19PM.

It's a debug command, so you may need to setconfig enabledebugcommands on first.
...and that's why I could never get checkromances to work.  Ah well.  I'll try again the RIGHT way when I get home from work tonight.  Thanks, Pescado.

Just to make sure what I'm seeing isn't expected behavior...

With that build of Awesome and Awesome Story Mode enabled, I have a couple of sims who are developing "Romantic Interests" extremely quickly, and I'm getting the "hookin up in the theatre" type messages a lot from these sims.

I have a self-made Flirty sim who is married, and ends up with 3 other Romantic Interests besides his wife by the end of the 1st sim day.  He's generating "boinking in the theater" messages with all 3 of these sims frequently.

All 3 of the sims he's interacting with in this way have either Flirty or Hopeless Romantic, and all 3 are also married to other sims.  Sims in my neighborhood that don't have either of these traits don't seem to be getting involved with anyone else so far.

Is this expected behavior?  A bit of infidelity definitely adds some fun to the neighborhood, but if what I'm seeing isn't some sort of weird problem somewhere, I believe that this bevavior is very heavily overtuned and needs to be toned down quite a bit.
varmint
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: 2009 August 05, 17:23:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We have people saying the sims are too picky now, and other saying the romantic interactions are overtuned, is there no making you people happy?

Actually, I think the frequency of public trysts is fine, but it does seem to hone in on a few sims with the romantic traits. I have 5 or 6 flirty/hopeless romantic sims in my hood and they are getting all the action, all the time. I'd like to see it spread out a little more. Give sims with no committed relationships a chance to do some public boinking even if they have no romantic traits. And maybe add a couple traits to the ones that are currently producing the serial adulterers, maybe Daredevil and Inappropriate, for example.
simwit
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: 2009 August 05, 17:29:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I share the concerns of (most of) the previous posters. I've been playing about one sim week with Awesome Story Progression and, for now at least, Indie Stone Mod isn't going to lose its fanbase (or should I say 'fanboys').

- Nobody seems to have any romance victims, so no new marriages. When I saw "Romance: X and Y at City Hall" I actually thought X and Y were getting married.

- No new babies were born. I guess not enough cribs or beds. Why don't they dump their babies and toddlers on the floor like all good parents. I only ever want to play one household. Other households should buy their own beds and cribs and put them outside in the cold night rain, for all I care. I did actually visit one household, made them selectable, bought them some furniture, but I don't want to do that boring stuff for the entire neighborhood.

- I accidentally moved a lesbian couple into a house with a crib. If they don't adopt a kid, I'll probably do it for them by making them temporarily selectable. I just have to try that.

- Several elder sims retired. No problem with that of course.

- Several sims quit their job. That's probably for a good reason. Wrong job for them? Lousy job performance because of ISM? I guess they just need to change careers according to ASM. Fine with me.

Here's an example of what happened with ISM: I moved Gwen Glover in with Don Lothario. They got married and had two kids, almost as if ISM was taking my hint. Obviously this doesn't always happen, but it has happened more than once and it's fun.

Well, after my early TS3 addiction I'm getting a little bored with the game anyway (the 'been there done that' effect) so I'm going to let ASM do to my ISM neighborhood whatever it wants. It's obvious that ISM dishes out promotions, weddings and babies like candy, but I think that's why lots of players love it. I guess it's why other players hate it, but I'm assuming there's more love than hate for ISM.

I hope Awesome Story Mode will eventually create a reasonably populated, but not overpopulated neighborhood, without too much input from me, or preferably without any input from me at all. There's no rush, though.

And finally, my current sim gets a lot of messages that he has learned that X has a job in the Culinary arts (or other career) without even talking to X.
JBoat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: 2009 August 05, 17:35:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I share the concerns of (most of) the previous posters. I've been playing about one sim week with Awesome Story Progression and, for now at least, Indie Stone Mod isn't going to lose its fanbase (or should I say 'fanboys').

AwesomeMod's Story Mode is purely in development and experimental status right now - hopefully most of the AM users out there realize that.  I'd call it somewhere between an Alpha and a Beta, with the possibility of screwing up a neighborhood in one fashion or another.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't use it however, just make a lot of saves and realize if it is on, you're a tester.

I believe Pescado has Story Mode right up on the top of his list, now that we have our grubby hands on it.

P.S.  Lemmy and Binky just dropped Indy Stone, so their user base *is* going to take a dive in the short term.

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: 2009 August 05, 17:42:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

- No new babies were born. I guess not enough cribs or beds. Why don't they dump their babies and toddlers on the floor like all good parents. I only ever want to play one household. Other households should buy their own beds and cribs and put them outside in the cold night rain, for all I care. I did actually visit one household, made them selectable, bought them some furniture, but I don't want to do that boring stuff for the entire neighborhood.

I argued with Pescado until I was blue in the face over this and I didn't get anywhere. I'm tired. Your turn. Tongue

Sometimes his insistence on realism is too much imo. I am not playing those houses so I don't care. I'd just rather not be arsed with tedious neighborhood 'crib management'. Besides, it is possible to have and raise a child completely without a crib. I know people who have.

I hope Awesome Story Mode will eventually create a reasonably populated, but not overpopulated neighborhood, without too much input from me, or preferably without any input from me at all. There's no rush, though.

This is exactly what I want as well. I just want the neighborhood to run itself in a reasonable fashion and not implode due to over or underpopulation. If the townies actually did stuff besides breed it would be nice too but that's the bare minimum.

Indie Stone is rather overzealous and capricious in it's events, but AM in some cases is too picky or too cautious to me.

There's a fundamental design difference too, not just top down/bottom up, but Pescado and others play multiple houses at the same time so they are more concerned with what goes on in those other houses because they will see it later. I just play one house. I just want them to be townies and do stuff, have kids, simulate a neighborhood but I don't want to run the neighborhood. I think some people who play this game do want to run the neighborhood.
« Last Edit: 2009 August 05, 17:52:24 by Motoki » Logged

Falin
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: 2009 August 05, 17:44:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We have people saying the sims are too picky now, and other saying the romantic interactions are overtuned, is there no making you people happy?

Actually, I think the frequency of public trysts is fine, but it does seem to hone in on a few sims with the romantic traits. I have 5 or 6 flirty/hopeless romantic sims in my hood and they are getting all the action, all the time. I'd like to see it spread out a little more. Give sims with no committed relationships a chance to do some public boinking even if they have no romantic traits. And maybe add a couple traits to the ones that are currently producing the serial adulterers, maybe Daredevil and Inappropriate, for example.

I don't know, having a happily married Flirty sim turn 3 complete strangers into "Romantic Interests" he's sleeping with in slightly more than 24 sim hours seems like a tiny bit of overkill to me...

Simply adding "Flirty" to a sim shouldn't make them completely disregard their current committed relationship and boink everything that moves, like I'm seeing in my neighborhood.  Maybe some combination of traits should have that effect, but not a single trait like Flirty or Hopeless Romantic.

Of course, I'm not convinced that what I'm seeing isn't some sort of problem with my neighborhood.  If it IS working the way it's supposed to, though, I wanted to toss my 2 cents in and say that I think it needs to be tweaked.
JBoat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: 2009 August 05, 17:53:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I argued with Pescado until I was blue in the face over this and I didn't get anywhere. I'm tired. Your turn. Tongue

Sometimes his insistence on realism is too much imo. I am not playing those houses so I don't care. I'd just rather not be arsed with tedious neighborhood 'crib management'. Besides, it is possible to have and raise a child completely without a crib. I know people who have.

I have to agree with you here Motoki.  When I fire up a new Sims 3 game, I play it to play one family only, from start to finish (whatever that eventual end is).  I don't jump around and touch other houses, unless I'm curious what's going on in there or want a peek at a prospective mate for a sim.

Sure you can switch around to your heart's content, but many of us play one family as our only, and can't be bothered with managing the entire neighborhood, nor do we want to.

Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: 2009 August 05, 17:56:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe some combination of traits should have that effect, but not a single trait like Flirty or Hopeless Romantic.
Ok, if this trait is considered one of the "boink anything that moves" traits, then I'm a bit mad.  It actually conflitcs with Commitment Issues, so I thought it was one of the "manogamious" traits (if there even is such a thing?).  Maybe this expains a marriage that happened with Awesomestory where the guy was Flirty/Commitment Issues, and the girl was FamOriented/Good/HoplessRomantic -- if the code sees Hopeless Romantic as a "romance trait" and considers her a good match for a guy who actually has the conflicting trait of Commitment Issues.  Honestly, I was totally scratcing my head at that one.  In fact, I don't think Commitment Issues sims should be getting married much if at all.

TS3: it's really cool if you don't look too closely! - bottles
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: 2009 August 05, 18:21:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe could they buy crips if they meet the requirements for baby and have extra income?

INFP or something
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: 2009 August 05, 18:27:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe could they buy crips if they meet the requirements for baby and have extra income?

Well then that brings the issue of placement. Autonomous sims really can't place furniture in any sort of reasonable manner. I suppose they could shove it in the family inventory, but I am sure to have a baby in the house and have the crib stashed away in the family inventory would fail the Pescado test of realism. Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 134 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: