More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 11:27:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Awesomod discussion/questions/helpful tips thread
0 Members and 4 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 134 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Awesomod discussion/questions/helpful tips thread  (Read 1722934 times)
Olop
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Re: Awesomod discussion/questions/helpful tips thread
« Reply #425 on: 2009 July 07, 21:27:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Put the config.php and awesome.package into the sims3/mods/packages dir.

I think you might have your browser incorrectly configured: you shouldn't have downloaded a config.php file, but an aweconf.package. Althought I suspect the content is the same, the name is different, and that could explain why it's not recognized by the game and maybe why it crashes.
Try renaming the config.php in aweconf.package, and/or redownload.

So now I deleted the php file and just used the standard awesome.package:
Still the same.. With noscripterror the game crashes instantly and without it doesn't start to load and doesnt play the loading screen music no matter how often I try Sad
zachcole
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: 2009 July 07, 22:12:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So i just installed awesomemod into my game and I have a question about one of the features.  I though that now if I switched between households I wouldn't lose wants or opportunities but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Is this feature supposed to be turned on or something?
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: 2009 July 07, 22:20:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So now I deleted the php file and just used the standard awesome.package:
Still the same.. With noscripterror the game crashes instantly and without it doesn't start to load and doesnt play the loading screen music no matter how often I try Sad
Jordi's comment will help- you must have missed it!
Olop: You should not download config.php, it is the page where you can generate the config file to be downloaded. Just click the link, configure, and then put the generated aweconf.package in the same folder you put awesome.package in.
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: 2009 July 07, 22:34:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims in my inactive houses will refuse to go to work and school.

I thought about that.  No solution possible, except to maybe teleport them to work/school from home.  You wouldn't want every kid in the village swarming the school entrance at the same time?  And just think of all the buses spawned going to and from school.  Same thing with adults with jobs. 

Keep in mind that after future expansions, the number of sims in the town are likely to increase, only making the problem worse.

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Kitran
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: 2009 July 07, 22:40:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims in my inactive houses will refuse to go to work and school.

I thought about that.  No solution possible, except to maybe teleport them to work/school from home.  You wouldn't want every kid in the village swarming the school entrance at the same time?  And just think of all the buses spawned going to and from school.  Same thing with adults with jobs. 

Keep in mind that after future expansions, the number of sims in the town are likely to increase, only making the problem worse.

Still needs to be a way to make it so that the sims go to work and school.  Me and my girlfriend both play this game and I really don't like to come back to my family after she's played hers for a week in game to find my Sims failing in school and getting fired from work.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.  --  Douglas Adams
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: 2009 July 07, 22:47:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I said it.  Teleportation.

I don't think going to school/work is adequate, though.  They never do their homework.  All my townie kids are getting Fs in school, but they still graduate, as long as you don't play them as your main family.

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: 2009 July 07, 22:52:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think going to school/work is adequate, though.  They never do their homework.  All my townie kids are getting Fs in school, but they still graduate, as long as you don't play them as your main family.
One of the tricks you can use to stop your sims from being fired is to set them on Supreme Commander. In the next version, Supreme Commander also handles homework. Incidentally, what grades they get doesn't matter when you're not playing them, if they age up while not being played, they'll just get random traits anyway.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Kitran
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: 2009 July 07, 22:58:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is Supreme Commander more stable now then?  I don't want to enable it and then have it crash my system or something.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.  --  Douglas Adams
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: 2009 July 07, 23:22:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you very much for the clarification!  I will now take the Sacred tag off a few of mine because I'd like them to randomly marry and breed just to see what weird combinations they come up with.

So there is no option for job security?  A pity...
[/quote]

Random toadyings refer to the ridiculous things that story agression - er, progression - can do to your Sims. Mr. Pescado described the various possible actions in this thread: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15408.0.html

Making your sims sacred is supposed to stop all these actions, but for whatever reason it is not protecting everyone's sacred sims from all the random toadyings that can happen, especially in regards to jobs and school. Since the game was designed to be one family's very large neighborhood lot, and all sims that aren't in your active family are not only treated just like all other townies, they aren't even rendered (they are essentially put in a form of suspended animation until looked at again; I sometimes call them doughboys since a lot of things in the game looks like white bread dough when you aren't looking at it), I think that what JMP has accomplished with AwesomeMod so far is pretty amazing, even if it's still a work in progress! (And I am not trying to suck up by saying that, it's flat out true! Cheesy)

All that said, the odds that anyone who IS subjected to story agression - which are all sims not in your active family and that are not tagged as sacred - would actually marry and have children appears to be extremely small, also according to a previous JMP post. So if I were you, I would not take off the sacred status unless you really don't care what happens to them anymore, but that's just my opinion.

Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: 2009 July 07, 23:33:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Question about the Supreme Commander.

The fact it's a no-return point, is valid for the game (neighborhood) actually played or for any other existing saved games, providing they aren't loaded while the SupCom is active? Do TS3 (and the linked SupCom) "touch" all the saved games when runs, like TS2 did with all the neighborhoods, or leaves them alone until loaded?

I'll make a backup anyway, but some more infos beforehand would be useful (so I can pretend to understand and looking smart).

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
anillee
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: 2009 July 08, 00:26:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Question for Pescado..

I was reading a thread about a Story Progression mod called Indie Stone, and in the thread, it was suggested that it might be possible to create a version of said mod that would be Awesomemod friendly.  I'm wondering if you might consider at some point incorporating more Story Mode aspects into Awesomemod or is that just never going to happen?  (The creator of that mod gave a reason as to why they wouldn't do it themselves but I forget what exactly it was)

DAMN THE OPPRESSIVE GHEYZ WITH THEIR SHOWTUNES AND SWATCHES.
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: 2009 July 08, 00:45:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Marriage, babies: Here's what ought to happen, pseudo-code style, in story progression:

ChanceOfUpgrade := 0.20;
MaxBabiesForTownies := 2;
simX := first(listOfAllSims);
while simX <> null do begin
   if age(simX) <> TYAE then continue;
   if random() > ChanceOfUpgrade then continue;

/* Find some sim to mate with */
   simY := highestNonFamilyRelationshipSameAge(simX);
   if simY == null then simY := nonFamilySimSameAge(simX);
   if simY == null then exit;  /* no sims to mate with */
   /* Now we have a Sim we are going to increase romantic relationship with. */
   do case relationshipLevel(simX,simY):
      Acquaintances:
         setRelationship(simX,simY,BestFriends);
      BestFriends:
         setRelationship(simX,simY,RomanticInterest);
      RomanticInterest:
          if not isCommittedAlready(SimY) then
             setRelationship(simX,simY,GoingSteady);
      GoingSteady:
         if age(simX)<>TEEN then setRelationship(simX,simY,Engaged);
      Engaged:
         setRelationship(simX,simY,Married);
      Married:
         if not isPregnant(simX)
            and not isPregnant(simY)
            and children(simX)<2 then begin;
               if isMale(simX) then makePregnant(simY,simX);
               else makePregnant(simX,simY);
            endif;
         end;
   endcase;
endwhile;

Using this method, CAS-made townies would have their first child in about 12 sim-days.  Townies that grew up as teens in the game would have steadies usually around their sixth day as teens, and would have their first baby around their sixth day as adults.  There is a lot of room here for easily made tweaks relating to individual traits or same-sex pregnancy or creepy pedo mods.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: 2009 July 08, 00:49:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was reading a thread about a Story Progression mod called Indie Stone, and in the thread, it was suggested that it might be possible to create a version of said mod that would be Awesomemod friendly.  I'm wondering if you might consider at some point incorporating more Story Mode aspects into Awesomemod or is that just never going to happen?  (The creator of that mod gave a reason as to why they wouldn't do it themselves but I forget what exactly it was)
Story Mode aspects are on the to-do list, although we have slightly different priorities here. My only interest in "Story Progression" is to, eventually, tune it so the population will sustain itself and generally create the appearance of live-itude, whereas ISM seems to want to "fake" an entire neighborhood's worth of interaction that you will never get to see or participate in, something I consider to be mildly abhorrent, as it violates the principle of "Show, Don't Tell". As such, while making it so the neighborhood doesn't die out entirely is definitely on the to-do list, it is unlikely that anything will ever approach the level of "Story Progression" that ISM will create.

As for intercompatibility, I will discuss the matter with the creator.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Link
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: 2009 July 08, 02:45:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just curious about any additional details about these "top position showdowns/battles" and other boss/work related stuff that was mentioned in the latest build. There's no mention of toggles or if it's defaultly enabled or what. Hopefully I didn't overlook anything anywhere.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: 2009 July 08, 02:52:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just curious about any additional details about these "top position showdowns/battles" and other boss/work related stuff that was mentioned in the latest build. There's no mention of toggles or if it's defaultly enabled or what. Hopefully I didn't overlook anything anywhere.
It's an integral feature like No20K. You don't get to disable it because the alternative is just too fucking stupid.

Link
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: 2009 July 08, 04:29:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds good. I like the concept for sure.

Let me just make sense of this here:

Whoever makes the most money AKA has the most raises, gets to be the top dog. If you're up for a promotion but don't make as much as the current top dog, you just get a raise instead. Whenever your income/pay beats out the top dog, you become the new top dog in your field?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: 2009 July 08, 07:05:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If a sim loses out when up for the top promotion in their field and receives a raise instead, do they then get another chance to become top dog later, and if so how long?
Any time you fill your performance meter, you get a shot. Your sim will succeed in displacing the incumbent when the quantity of "raises" earned exceeds that of the existing incumbent. Therefore, each raise earned improves your ability to displace an incumbent and resist being displaced as an incumbent. Note that NPCs can also advance and displace YOU! As a rule, random NPC sims are not particularly resistant to displacement and once you have earned at least one raise from anywhere, you should be able to displace them with ease, but if you are vying against your own sims who have better qualifications and work ethic, you may be in for a tough haul. That's life.

Otherwise it'll cause big problems for sims with the lifetime want to be top in a field.  I don't really want to have to go make another sim retire to get my sim their lifetime want.
Well, not everyone can be an astronaut. Tongue

Whoever makes the most money AKA has the most raises, gets to be the top dog. If you're up for a promotion but don't make as much as the current top dog, you just get a raise instead. Whenever your income/pay beats out the top dog, you become the new top dog in your field?
Correct. If your sim receives a raise, say, for X, he is now at +X. He can therefore displace an incumbent who has less than +X, but cannot displace someone who has X or greater. If you try to advance against an incumbent that has a better bonus than you, you will instead simply receive a better bonus, to try again with next round. How fast you can accumulate these boosts determines how quickly you can advance if you want to compete against an existing competitor.

People you step on in such a manner may not react well.

moondance
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: 2009 July 08, 07:33:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Otherwise it'll cause big problems for sims with the lifetime want to be top in a field.  I don't really want to have to go make another sim retire to get my sim their lifetime want.

Or just have them read Browning and be philosophical about it:
"What I aspired to be,
And was not, comforts me."
 Tongue
Quill
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: 2009 July 08, 08:41:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If a sim loses out when up for the top promotion in their field and receives a raise instead, do they then get another chance to become top dog later, and if so how long?
Any time you fill your performance meter, you get a shot. Your sim will succeed in displacing the incumbent when the quantity of "raises" earned exceeds that of the existing incumbent. Therefore, each raise earned improves your ability to displace an incumbent and resist being displaced as an incumbent. Note that NPCs can also advance and displace YOU! As a rule, random NPC sims are not particularly resistant to displacement and once you have earned at least one raise from anywhere, you should be able to displace them with ease, but if you are vying against your own sims who have better qualifications and work ethic, you may be in for a tough haul. That's life.
Ok, that makes perfect sense. 

Well, not everyone can be an astronaut. Tongue
No, but there can be and are multiple astronauts and those who manage to qualify for the position do not become the one and only astronaut.  However, I can understand that there really should only be one Emperor of all Evil or whatever. 

I wanted to mention that I attempted to delete my post after realizing that I'd somehow missed Link's post and basically repeated it, but I couldn't get the page to load.  Then, after I returned to it now, Pescado has commented on it but my post is gone. 

Why, why, why does MATY sometimes just not load pages without me refreshing repeatedly for days at a time, and then work fine other times?  I never have this problem with unimportant sites!   Wink
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: 2009 July 08, 08:53:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why, why, why does MATY sometimes just not load pages without me refreshing repeatedly for days at a time, and then work fine other times?  I never have this problem with unimportant sites!

I have the same problem. Sometimes pages don't load at all, other times they load immediately. It's very inconsistent.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: 2009 July 08, 09:31:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It has to do with the fact that it is a very long and cluttered Intertube to Malaysia. Feel free to contribute more money for a mirror server elsewhere, though.

Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: 2009 July 08, 10:00:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why, why, why does MATY sometimes just not load pages without me refreshing repeatedly for days at a time, and then work fine other times?  I never have this problem with unimportant sites!

I have the same problem. Sometimes pages don't load at all, other times they load immediately. It's very inconsistent.

Welcome to the internets

IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: 2009 July 08, 10:08:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Welcome to the internets

It's not quite as inconsistent with most other sites, at least not for me. The tubes to MATY give me more trouble than my other regular sites. But I'll live with it.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
OC
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: 2009 July 08, 10:08:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really like the Harder Jobs / MOAR fight feature! A simple yet very brilliant idea.

Btw I've got a few questions out of curiosity:

1. how many quota does each job level have?
is it like generally: level 10 - only 1 sim; level 9 - 2 to 3 sims... and so on.
or Pescado actually did tailor-adjust the quotas for different professions?

2. if my sim has outranked the boss, and there isn't a higher rank sim at the moment, will a boss be assigned out of nowhere? or my sim will remain "boss-less" until another sim reaches a higher job level?

and if my sim will remain "boss-less", what if his job has "Boss" as one of the requirements?

3. if my sim has reached the highest job level, does it mean he will never have a boss, until he's demoted?

again this Harder Jobs thing is very brilliant and "lively". thanks Pescado.  Wink
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: 2009 July 08, 10:33:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not quite as inconsistent with most other sites, at least not for me. The tubes to MATY give me more trouble than my other regular sites. But I'll live with it.
Yes, but most other sites are not in MALAYSIA. The quality of Malaysian Internets is not particularly high.

1. how many quota does each job level have?
is it like generally: level 10 - only 1 sim; level 9 - 2 to 3 sims... and so on.
or Pescado actually did tailor-adjust the quotas for different professions?
It varies widely. Some quota limits are set logically, for instance, jobs with the Highlander Rule imposed on them, like "Governor" or "President". Others are per-workplace, for instance, the company can only have one CEO, but multiple CEOs are permissible if you plop multiple companies. Others are just chosen somewhat more arbitrarily, to a somewhat higher, but still limited, number, just to reduce too-many-chiefs syndrome.

2. if my sim has outranked the boss, and there isn't a higher rank sim at the moment, will a boss be assigned out of nowhere? or my sim will remain "boss-less" until another sim reaches a higher job level?
If you require a boss, one will be chosen for you, and if there is simply NO one, one will be generated for you.

3. if my sim has reached the highest job level, does it mean he will never have a boss, until he's demoted?
There is only one level 10 career that still has relboss as a metric, and I'm pretty sure it was caused by a copypasta error, so it will be removed in the next version.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 134 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: