More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 10:20:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Awesomod discussion/questions/helpful tips thread
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 134 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Awesomod discussion/questions/helpful tips thread  (Read 1722821 times)
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: Awesomod discussion/questions/helpful tips thread
« Reply #150 on: 2009 June 27, 17:37:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seriously, it's not that hard. Ya'll are making it more difficult for yourselves. My patch hiccuped four times and I figured it out. How? By paying attention to what file it was on when it barfed. Biohazard, you want the file C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\skuversion.txt. Change the 2 to a 1. Save. Don't touch your registry. Don't trust the Launcher; it's a dumbass and never recognized .632.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Malapietra
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 2009 June 27, 17:39:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am having the same problems as others trying to install the patch. I'm getting the region error.

The problem is twofold for me - firstly, I did not install any RLD > RZR patch, I installed the Razor version directly.
Secondly, there is no registry entry for SKU anywhere. I am running on Vista x64. There is no 'Sims' directory, other than in HKCU/Software/Electronic Arts, and even then there is no mention of SKU.

Please help!

Edit: I should add that the launcher states my version is 1.0.631.0002

The "problems" you mentioned are not really related to the problem you are experiencing with the regional error.
 A bit obvious but are you downloading the appropriate version?  Are you downloading from the direct links?

http://na.llnet.eadownloads.ea.com/u/f/sims/sims3/patches/Sims3_1.2.7.00002_from_1.0.631.00002.exe
Death-Jester
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 2009 June 27, 17:45:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope, didn't work Pes. Tried changing it to 00001, and tried both version of the patch. I'm going to try and reinstall and see if that works.
Crash
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ WTF?

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 2009 June 27, 19:31:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I managed to get the patch beyond the skuversion.txt, but now the patch stops at TSLHost.dll. I stopped the launcher from phoning home, could that be the reason?  Roll Eyes

Edit: nope, that wasn't it. I let it phone home and it patch still can't get past TSLHost.dll.
Edit2: Okay I managed to patch the game - I replaced the TSLHost.dll with the one on the Razor disc, and that did it.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 27, 19:49:49 by Crash » Logged

Don't argue with an idiot. He will just drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
anillee
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 2009 June 27, 19:41:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A quick question--I was under the impression that God's Chosen People (tagged sacred) were not subject to aging unless being played, just like they aren't subject to regular Storymode nonsense.  Is this true or false?

DAMN THE OPPRESSIVE GHEYZ WITH THEIR SHOWTUNES AND SWATCHES.
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: 2009 June 27, 20:25:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is answered in the Awesome Mod thread:

1.  God's Chosen People
     Control-Clicking a sim/house will offer the option to "Make Sacred" or
     "Remove Sacred", giving that household or sim immunity to StoryProgression
     and other assorted random toadings. The Chosen receive a gold halo on
     their house and on their tracking tags when tracked on radar. You may
     switch instantly between the Chosen household with CRTL-RClick if
     the "Supreme Commander" playmode is enabled.

Read More!

I'm an apathetic sociopath, I'd kill you if I cared.
Daimon
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 2009 June 27, 20:29:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have read every page in this thread and I have noted that while a lot of people are having problems with the patch, unfortunately no one seems to have the same problem I do. I hope there is a simple fix and that someone will be around to clue me in!

I have an, ahem, less than legally acquired international version game which decided to start crashing at random after I tried to install EA's new patch. Since the install aborted due to the launcher being removed from my computer, I figured oh well -- and habitually updated AwesomeMod now I was at it anyway. Only then did I, in my extreme morning alertness, notice that the latest AM requires the patch.

Is there any way I can undo the mess I've made without reinstalling the entire game? I have random crashes right and left every 4-5 minutes, rendering the game pretty much unplayable. In a worst case scenario, can I reinstall on top of my existing game and at least rescue my neighborhood?

Thanks in advance and apologies for being less than Windows literate.
Death-Jester
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 2009 June 27, 20:32:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just thought I'd let you know that a reinstall sorted my problem and I successfully installed the patch.
anillee
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 2009 June 27, 20:34:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is answered in the Awesome Mod thread:

...Read More!

You're a little tardy to the party.  I did, infact, read, and researched on the boards.  I wasn't aware of what he meant by "toadings", and I did do more than a few "advanced" searches on the board to see if it had been addressed in another thread...  

You know where to stick that sharp stick..have a lovely day, though Smiley

DAMN THE OPPRESSIVE GHEYZ WITH THEIR SHOWTUNES AND SWATCHES.
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 2009 June 27, 20:47:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you're talking about the RLD to RZR update then you will need to do some registry editting to get it to work properly.  Locate the SKU file in your registry by either searching (CTRL+F) "SKU" or manually locating the Sims 3 folder.  In Vista64bit edition, it's found in this directory:  HLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sims\The Sims 3

If you use CTRL+F make sure it's the Sims 3 folder and not some other folder  Look at the directory to verify.

Next right-click on SKU and change the value from 7 to 2.  That should fix it.  Enjoy!

I'm using Windows XP so I do not know which registry file to edit from your instruction it is different.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Electronic Arts
Contains one key that says (value not set)

\Sims 3
has nothing

\Launcher\Settings
has six items in it,
CCDisabled
DateTimeOffline
FirstRun
PageIndex
UpdateMode

Could the last one be it? Data says 0x000...1 (1) Someone can tell me who knows this if that is safe to change or not?
Changing only the skuversion.txt did not help it to start. I am talking about the RLD TO RZR update, which seems like it was a bad idea now.
Also in case anyone inquires, file permissions are correct - so I really don't know why it complains about the version number :/
Kitran
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 2009 June 27, 20:54:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gotta love how everyone's so nice here. Cheesy Just had to post and say hello.  I'm seriously considering getting this mod because I can't depend on EA fixing this problem.  I've read this thread and the one where it says all the features of this mod.  My question is this:  If I install it and find I don't like it, is it easy to uninstall and will there be any lasting impressions on the game when it's restored or would it require a complete reinstall of Sims 3?

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.  --  Douglas Adams
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: 2009 June 27, 20:57:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you can install and uninstall without any problems unless you are using the Supreme Commander feature of the mod. And yes, we are lovely here aren't we. Very helpful to unstupid people.

Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 2009 June 27, 20:58:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I install it and find I don't like it, is it easy to uninstall and will there be any lasting impressions on the game when it's restored or would it require a complete reinstall of Sims 3?

If you don't enable Supreme Commander, you can just remove the hack and all will be fine.  However, according to the posts in the AwesomeMod thread, enabling Supreme Commander pretty much means you have to keep AwesomeMod in, or risk completely borking your game.  

What Emma said.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: 2009 June 27, 20:59:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uh, I just said that.

Kitran
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 2009 June 27, 21:02:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. Smiley  I'm still considering.  Gonna talk to the other player of this game to see what she thinks of it before I make my decision.. but from everything I've been reading, I think this will be just the thing I was looking for.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.  --  Douglas Adams
Kitran
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 2009 June 27, 23:01:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mmkay, I followed the directions in the readme and installed the mod as it told me to.  When it tried to load, it got about 1/8 of the way loaded and crashed.  I know this was mentioned somewhere in this forum, but either I'm glancing over it or what, I can't find where it was discussed.  In the xcpt file that was created, it says this:

[Exception info]
date: 2009-06-27
time: 18.48.40
type: ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x00000008
address: 0x004df11b "E:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe":0x0001:0x000de11b

Followed by stack data and then this:

[Instruction data]
004df09b => DasmX86Dll.dll not found.

Okay, so I guess I'm missing that dll file?  Forgive me if I sound noobish to you guys.. I've never had a need to mod any Sims game until this one.

RockerRocker
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 2009 June 27, 23:07:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hello do you really need Patch 1.2.7 for this?
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 2009 June 27, 23:19:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mmkay, I followed the directions in the readme and installed the mod as it told me to.  When it tried to load, it got about 1/8 of the way loaded and crashed.  I know this was mentioned somewhere in this forum, but either I'm glancing over it or what, I can't find where it was discussed.

Is this what you're seeing?
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15185.msg444342.html#msg444342

Hello do you really need Patch 1.2.7 for this?

Pescado is not going to keep versions of AwesomeMod for each patch level.  So, if you want to use AwesomeMod, you should install the patch.

Quote from http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15185.0.html
"COMPATIBILITY:
Base Game Version 1.2.7"
« Last Edit: 2009 June 27, 23:25:01 by Mootilda » Logged

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 2009 June 27, 23:28:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you can install and uninstall without any problems unless you are using the Supreme Commander feature of the mod.

If you disable Supreme Commander, can you then uninstall AwesomeMod? I'm not planning on doing so anytime soon, but it would be good to know.

IN T/F J/P. Yeah, I know.
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 2009 June 27, 23:35:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you disable Supreme Commander, can you then uninstall AwesomeMod? I'm not planning on doing so anytime soon, but it would be good to know.

From Pescado's warning, it would appear not.  I suspect, from a very uneducated point of view, that Supreme Commander alters game files in some way that would cause VBTs if AwesomeMod were no longer present.

WARNING!
Supreme Commander is experimental and permanent! Once you turn it on, uninstalling AwesomeMod may destroy your neighborhood! Once you start down the path of the Dark Side, forever will it dominate your destiny.

(bolding mine)

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
Trinity
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 2009 June 28, 00:11:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From Pescado's warning, it would appear not.  I suspect, from a very uneducated point of view, that Supreme Commander alters game files in some way that would cause VBTs if AwesomeMod were no longer present.

WARNING!
Supreme Commander is experimental and permanent! Once you turn it on, uninstalling AwesomeMod may destroy your neighborhood! Once you start down the path of the Dark Side, forever will it dominate your destiny.

(bolding mine)

I think as long as you don't use Supreme Commander AND SAVE you can uninstall just fine. I used Supreme Commander in one neighborhood, I quit and saved,  I started having problems with CTD, I took awesomemod out and real life called ..... anyway I started the game (loaded hood previously saved with Supreme Commander enabled)....... let's just say it wasn't pretty. Once you use the supreme commander, and save, it isn't a good idea to take it out, it's a VBT.

It is fixed as I didn't save after the bad load and things seem to be working fine, but as the RTFM states there is no going back.
Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 2009 June 28, 00:16:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

WARNING!

(bolding mine)

I think as long as you don't use Supreme Commander AND SAVE you can uninstall just fine. I used Supreme Commander in one neighborhood, I quit and saved,  I started having problems with CTD, I took awesomemod out and real life called ..... anyway I started the game (loaded hood previously saved with Supreme Commander enabled)....... let's just say it wasn't pretty. Once you use the supreme commander, and save, it isn't a good idea to take it out, it's a VBT.

It is fixed as I didn't save after the bad load and things seem to be working fine, but as the RTFM states there is no going back.

I would make a back up of your saves folder just in case if you are unsure whether or not you want to keep it installed.

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow. If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Link
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 2009 June 28, 05:16:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I need some clarification on

Allow NPC Work Performance Gain [Optional - Default: Enabled]
     Sims not part of the active household continue to gain work performance
     for going to work, and can therefore be promoted.

Does this apply even with story progression off, or only when it's on?

EDIT: Additional dumbness. How/where is the XML file you have to edit/tweak. Are we referring to something locally or when you download the file?

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by this, but I think during all the Patch and Compatibility hubbub my question was overlooked.  Cry
Kitran
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 2009 June 28, 05:58:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mmkay, I followed the directions in the readme and installed the mod as it told me to.  When it tried to load, it got about 1/8 of the way loaded and crashed.  I know this was mentioned somewhere in this forum, but either I'm glancing over it or what, I can't find where it was discussed.

Is this what you're seeing?
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15185.msg444342.html#msg444342

Yes, that's the error.. and I did just now install the 3booter.exe file and it hasn't helped.  I fail.... epically.  Undecided

I didn't install the enablescripterror.package file... just did and now it seems to be working.  I'll keep you guys informed. Smiley
« Last Edit: 2009 June 28, 06:06:33 by Kitran » Logged

Simius
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 2009 June 28, 06:28:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I need some clarification on

Allow NPC Work Performance Gain [Optional - Default: Enabled]
     Sims not part of the active household continue to gain work performance
     for going to work, and can therefore be promoted.

Does this apply even with story progression off, or only when it's on?

EDIT: Additional dumbness. How/where is the XML file you have to edit/tweak. Are we referring to something locally or when you download the file?

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by this, but I think during all the Patch and Compatibility hubbub my question was overlooked.  Cry
Don't worry about tweaking xml files.  That is modding stuff and you don't need to do it unless you make a mod.

I imagine the job promotions work even without story mode on... Since story mode is basically random events and the job promotion is tied to things that are actually happening in your game.  I always keep story mode on... So I'm not 100% sure though.  To test it turn story mode off and also turn "require valid bosses" off (so he doesn't get promoted when someone else does....  Then make a sim and send him to the gym to gain 3 athletic skill points.  Get him a job in the military career.  Then switch to another family and wait for your first sim to have worked for 5 days.  Go back and check on him and see if he has been promoted and see if his job performance has improved.  Report your results.

I'd do it myself but hey, you want to know and I use story mode anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 134 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: