More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 22:51:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  How to install "awesome" mod on a mac (lots of images, yay!... slow loading...)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How to install "awesome" mod on a mac (lots of images, yay!... slow loading...)  (Read 57471 times)
Djcz
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
How to install "awesome" mod on a mac (lots of images, yay!... slow loading...)
« on: 2009 June 20, 16:04:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright, so I had a pain in the butt trying to install this thing because there aren't exactly the most accurate instructions for mac users. If you unzip where the current posts tell you to without removing the files from the folders and such it gets all messed up, so this is my solution. I hope it makes life easier for someone, because it took me about 2 and a half hours to get this mod installed (though admittedly it was my first time using a sims mod, so that had a lot of effect on the matter).

Before you get started you'll need to download these files,
The awesome mod itself: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ts3/base/awesome.zip
and the framework for the mod: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ts3/base/framework.zip
If you want to make life easy on yourself so you can copy me step by step then save them into a folder called "downloads"

Due to the size of this image I'll be linking it, it can be found at this url: http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/752/installingawesome.jpg

Anyways there you have it, enjoy.
(one last thing, I know the awesome files get copied into two locations and they probably don't need to be... but it worked so I'm not messing with it lol).
Quill
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: How to install "awesome" mod on a mac (lots of images, yay!... slow loading...)
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 23, 06:09:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm fairly certain that you have two copies of AwesomeMod in your Mods folder, one in the AwesomeMod folder and one just in the packages folder.  You should only need one.  I'm not sure if you have the Resource.cfg that allows for subfolders inside of the packages folder or not; you could test and find out by removing the one that isn't in the AwesomeMod folder.  I don't know if the one from MATY allows for subfolders or not, because I haven't been using them personally. 

Awesome guide!
DjczReturns
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: How to install "awesome" mod on a mac (lots of images, yay!... slow loading...)
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 23, 16:06:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm fairly certain that you have two copies of AwesomeMod in your Mods folder, one in the AwesomeMod folder and one just in the packages folder.  You should only need one.  I'm not sure if you have the Resource.cfg that allows for subfolders inside of the packages folder or not; you could test and find out by removing the one that isn't in the AwesomeMod folder.  I don't know if the one from MATY allows for subfolders or not, because I haven't been using them personally. 

Awesome guide!
Lol I forgot my pass so I had to make a new account. Anyways you're right, there is two copies and thats because when I made the guide I wasn't sure which one was the working one but the fact of the matter was it worked so I just left it like that. I'm pretty sure the folder + its contents aren't needed, but I don't see a reason to mess with it if its working. This will get it running for Mac users and from there if they want to mess with it to get rid of that folder they can, but I don't really see a point unless you need the space for other sub-folders or what not in which case if they are doing that they probably know what their doing by that point anyways.
smellslikecatfood
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: How to install "awesome" mod on a mac (lots of images, yay!... slow loading.
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 24, 00:46:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow - thank you so much!  I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to install the mod.  I just recently started using a mac and I'm still learning how the file system is set up....
DjczReturns
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: How to install "awesome" mod on a mac (lots of images, yay!... slow loading.
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 24, 18:34:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow - thank you so much!  I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to install the mod.  I just recently started using a mac and I'm still learning how the file system is set up....
Your welcome, and trust me I was feeling the same way. I just started using a mac the day before this game came out, it was driving me insane for awhile -_- (I had used it for other stuff for school, but not as something I actually have to live with... I hate how impossible it is to find some of the files and folders, like there is no way to get to them except to right click and say "show packaged contents"... wtf?)
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 24, 21:02:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your welcome
Sorry, I HAVE to point it out: YOU'RE, not "your". It makes my teeth grind.

I hate how impossible it is to find some of the files and folders, like there is no way to get to them except to right click and say "show packaged contents"... wtf?)

That's because Mac it's not supposed to work that way (I hope this might make you feel better  Wink); it's a trick we have to use because of the half-hassed way EA did the porting on Mac OS X.
Granted, it's an easy and quick way, and it works - I'm not really complaining about that - but it's not exactly the best or more professional way to do this kind of stuff.

The trick of "show package content" is meant to allow you to examine and alter an application; it's stuff for programmers, advanced tech users and the like, not for the regular use of the Mac.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 July 07, 18:52:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and the framework for the mod: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ts3/base/framework.zip
If you want to make life easy on yourself so you can copy me step by step then save them into a folder called "downloads"

Hi... for several wordy boring reasons I won't trouble you with I have used awesomemod and love it but never on a mac, and now I've got TS3 on my bf's macbook.  Anyway, my question is, is there any chance that installing awesomemod on this macbook could screw up the macbook outside of the game itself? I'm not very computer savvy and what I do know pertains to pcs, not macs. I don't mind messing up my own computer so much but it would REALLY suck to screw up my bf's.
I don't use supreme commander or any of the functions that Pescado warns are experimental.
I played for a while on the macbook yesterday, and it's so nice because it is such a better system (my pc's graphics card is not really up to par), but I MISS awesomemod.

INTP.
DjczReturns
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 July 07, 18:58:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi... for several wordy boring reasons I won't trouble you with I have used awesomemod and love it but never on a mac, and now I've got TS3 on my bf's macbook.  Anyway, my question is, is there any chance that installing awesomemod on this macbook could screw up the macbook outside of the game itself? I'm not very computer savvy and what I do know pertains to pcs, not macs. I don't mind messing up my own computer so much but it would REALLY suck to screw up my bf's.
I don't use supreme commander or any of the functions that Pescado warns are experimental.
I played for a while on the macbook yesterday, and it's so nice because it is such a better system (my pc's graphics card is not really up to par), but I MISS awesomemod.

Don't worry Mac's are built to be a bit different then a Windows computer, if anything fucks up you simply delete the Sims folder out of your applications and documents. At that point there is almost no trace of the program left, however you don't need to worry because as far as I've seen there are no real issues with it at all. If you want to post the system specs of his machine I can tell you more accurately if its up to par to run the game or not, the only thing you should really be worried about is if the graphics card won't be able to handle it but even then if it can't you just restart the computer and delete the game.
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 July 07, 22:07:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't worry Mac's are built to be a bit different then a Windows computer, if anything fucks up you simply delete the Sims folder out of your applications and documents. At that point there is almost no trace of the program left, however you don't need to worry because as far as I've seen there are no real issues with it at all. If you want to post the system specs of his machine I can tell you more accurately if its up to par to run the game or not, the only thing you should really be worried about is if the graphics card won't be able to handle it but even then if it can't you just restart the computer and delete the game.

Thanks for your quick response!
The specs:
13.3" MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, SuperDrive - Aluminum unibody (MB466LL/A)
I copied that off a site so I don't know if that last parenthetical is useful, but I figured I better include it in case.

INTP.
sudaki
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 July 08, 01:07:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyway, my question is, is there any chance that installing awesomemod on this macbook could screw up the macbook outside of the game itself?

No.  Awesomemod only affects the Sims 3 game.  TS3 may manage to fuck up the computer, or Awesomemod might manage to fuck up TS3, but Awesomemod will not fuck up the computer.
DjczReturns
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 July 08, 05:51:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for your quick response!
The specs:
13.3" MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, SuperDrive - Aluminum unibody (MB466LL/A)
I copied that off a site so I don't know if that last parenthetical is useful, but I figured I better include it in case.
It should run fine if you don't pump the graphics up to max, keep them on low or medium and it'll be okay. My MBP with 4 gigs of ram can have a hard time and it has a better graphics card if I pump them all to max. Anyways if you don't already have a program called "SMC fan control" then I suggest getting it. It'll let you set your fan speeds in your computer, just pump them up to nearly max and it should help keep your computer cool. Small laptops tend to have issues with heating up while playing TS3 because its so graphics intensive.
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 July 08, 11:31:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It should run fine if you don't pump the graphics up to max, keep them on low or medium and it'll be okay. My MBP with 4 gigs of ram can have a hard time and it has a better graphics card if I pump them all to max. Anyways if you don't already have a program called "SMC fan control" then I suggest getting it. It'll let you set your fan speeds in your computer, just pump them up to nearly max and it should help keep your computer cool. Small laptops tend to have issues with heating up while playing TS3 because its so graphics intensive.

I did notice it was getting very hot, so I appreciate this advice. Is the installation of SMC fan control easier than installing the mod (I hope)? Again, no risk to the computer, right? I wouldn't be so anal about it but as I mentioned, the mac's not mine.
Would you please direct me to any existing guide to installing it on a mac? Thank you so much for your help!

INTP.
Reilune
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Installing on a mac!
« Reply #12 on: 2009 July 08, 17:56:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm trying to install AwesomeMod for TS3 on my Mac.  I tried following the instructions given, but it did not work... Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to accomplish this successfully?
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Installing on a mac!
« Reply #13 on: 2009 July 08, 18:32:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/752/installingawesome.jpg

I used this to help me install it.

Not sure who uploaded the link in the first place, but this issue has already been posted somewhere.

Enjoy, anyway.

simbolic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Installing on a mac!
« Reply #14 on: 2009 July 08, 18:54:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a macbook, but have been playing mainly on the PC. I haven't  installed any mods yet but when I do I will give this utillity a try.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=349349
DjczReturns
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 July 08, 23:38:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did notice it was getting very hot, so I appreciate this advice. Is the installation of SMC fan control easier than installing the mod (I hope)? Again, no risk to the computer, right? I wouldn't be so anal about it but as I mentioned, the mac's not mine.
Would you please direct me to any existing guide to installing it on a mac? Thank you so much for your help!
Its very simple, you just download and install like a normal application. Anyways its fine it won't ruin your mac. The only worry would be that running your mac fans at max rpm can wear them out faster but thats better then burning up your computer. Anyways if you have coverage you can get the fans replaced, I know my mac has a faulty fan that buzzes... so I need to get it changed myself before I play the sims3 again. I don't want to buff the rpms up to max when I have a fan loose xD
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 July 09, 06:35:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you like to be informed of what happens in the hardware inner guts of your mac all the time, I suggest iStat Menu and/or iStat widget here. They're really great.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
simmilk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 July 13, 13:26:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just switched from PC to mac yesterday and this tutorial was invaluable--it only took 2 attempts to get it up and running.  Wink

Semi-related... can any mac people recommend a free 7z, rar, etc. general (de)compression tool? 
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 July 19, 20:28:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just switched from PC to mac yesterday and this tutorial was invaluable--it only took 2 attempts to get it up and running.  Wink

Semi-related... can any mac people recommend a free 7z, rar, etc. general (de)compression tool? 

What does this do? Is it like the Installer Monkey? I assume the monkey doesn't work on macs?

INTP.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 July 20, 00:35:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What does this do? Is it like the Installer Monkey? I assume the monkey doesn't work on macs?

Erm. Define "this".
The tutorial? 7z? rar? Decompression tool?

------
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 July 21, 08:32:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Erm. Define "this".
The tutorial? 7z? rar? Decompression tool?

"a free 7z, rar, etc. general (de)compression tool"
- the above sounded like it referred to one specific thing. I thought maybe it was an installer of some sort. However, as I don't know what 7z is, and have a tenuous grasp of the rest of the phrase, I thought I might be totally off-base.

Other question: does the link in the OP go to the most current version of Awesomemod? I only ask because there are now two links on the Awesomemod page (Mirror 1 and Mirror 2)--any reason I might need to dl one of these specifically?

INTP.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 July 21, 17:09:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"a free 7z, rar, etc. general (de)compression tool"

Ahh, ok, fine then.
In short, 7z and rar are two widely used general compression types, i.e. not sims-related. They're like zip, gz, sit... only better.
Quite often, stuff online is archived in these formats, so having a decompression tool at hand will not hurt anyway.

Other question: does the link in the OP go to the most current version of Awesomemod? I only ask because there are now two links on the Awesomemod page (Mirror 1 and Mirror 2)--any reason I might need to dl one of these specifically?

If in doubt, just download from the main Awesomemod thread; mirrors are identical copies, they exist just because if for any reason one of them results wonky/slow/busy/broken/down, the other will work.

------
theherbalbody
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 July 29, 08:59:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Should there be 1 or 2 resource.cfg files? I have one in the The Sims 3 folder and one in The Sims 3/Mods/Files folder?
theherbalbody
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 July 31, 08:31:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes.

Yes what?
theherbalbody
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 August 11, 01:38:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shocked

I have one in the The Sims 3 folder and one in The Sims 3/Mods/Files folder?
Yes, that is normal.
*thumbs up*
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: