More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 19:54:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  I would like a Smoking Mod - Can it be done?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I would like a Smoking Mod - Can it be done?  (Read 70722 times)
Budgie
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: I would like a Smoking Mod - Can it be done?
« Reply #50 on: 2009 June 25, 02:05:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

whereas smockers sims would immediately have an urge for a death stick if they smell that odor.
Yeah, that would be a cool feature. As for the idea of addiction, I don't know how complicated it would be to implement, but what if the lasting negative moodlet/deisre for a death stick depended on personality traits? Like a lucky sim might have an easier time quitting, or maybe one that's a coward might have a harder time kicking the habit.
WatersMoon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2009 June 25, 17:09:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I understand it, for addicts, the craving to smoke cigarettes never goes away.
It really depends on the person. I quit over a year ago and have no cravings, and I was addicted for 12+ years. I have a buddy who quit like three six years ago and he still drools at the thought of a cigarette. In my opinion if you still want to smoke after not smoking for that long, then you quit wrong. He gets pretty irritated when I say that.

Edit to fix math error.
Did you have cravings to begin with? I was never addicted, because I was able to just quit with no cravings at all. I think maybe people who still want to smoke after quitting probably didn't really want to quit to begin with. So, the way I figure it are only the addicts who still have cravings, as opposed to people who have smoked, enjoyed it, but never gained that strong physical and mental addiction in the first place. Many of the people I know that have quit weren't addicts to begin with, and so have a much easier time quitting. Then there are those people who quit for many years, and then start smoking again in stressful situations.

Those people are who I think of, when I think of cigarette/other-forms-of-tobacco addiction. People who simply have decided with their entire mind that they just don't want or need to smoke anymore, they don't crave it. Or at least, that is my interpretation of it, given all of the smokers and ex-smokers and ex-ex-smokers that I have known. I don't actually know all of the specifics of tobacco/nicotine addiction.
Yeah, that would be a cool feature. As for the idea of addiction, I don't know how complicated it would be to implement, but what if the lasting negative moodlet/deisre for a death stick depended on personality traits? Like a lucky sim might have an easier time quitting, or maybe one that's a coward might have a harder time kicking the habit.
I like the idea that traits might influence how Sims smoke and become addicted (or don't). Perhaps a cowardly Sim might be scared to try smoking in the first place? And maybe Genius Sims might refuse to smoke cigarettes at all.

Don't step on the Mome Raths.
Blech
Garrulous Gimp

Moar Stanky Than You

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2009 June 25, 17:32:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Saying that you are not addicted to nicotine after ingesting it for years is like saying you are the one speshul snowflake who doesn't burn when exposed to fire. It is extremely addictive to all humans, that's kinda the point. You don't gain any points for being the one person who can quit without cravings, and you are inadvertently helping Big Tobacco by saying that this drug is not addictive. They can't even say that anymore, (because it has been proven to be a LIE over and over again), so it's good for them when their customers or former customers do the lying for them.

You may think you're being inspirational when you say it's possible to quit without cravings, but in fact it's extremely detrimental to the morale of someone trying to quit when they hear this crap about how they wouldn't want a smoke if they were serious about quitting. IMHO, it's equivalent to telling someone addicted to crack that if they just really really want to, they can quit at anytime, without all that sciencey crap to help them. Why don't you guys go do some more research about the effects of nicotine on the brain before spouting bullshit that flys in the face of modern medicine?

Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Evil is profitable only when everyone is not evil.
Moar words of wisdom from our wise and bearded Fearless Leader.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2009 June 25, 17:44:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cravings don't exist. They're purely a figment of your imagination and exist only in your head. Just ignore them. Anything incapable of actually exerting physical force to stop you can simply be ignored.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Blech
Garrulous Gimp

Moar Stanky Than You

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2009 June 25, 17:53:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cravings don't exist. They're purely a figment of your imagination and exist only in your head. Just ignore them. Anything incapable of actually exerting physical force to stop you can simply be ignored.

LOL I am going to print this out and carry it around, when I try to quit.

superransom
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2009 June 25, 18:10:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I understand it, for addicts, the craving to smoke cigarettes never goes away.
It really depends on the person. I quit over a year ago and have no cravings, and I was addicted for 12+ years. I have a buddy who quit like three six years ago and he still drools at the thought of a cigarette. In my opinion if you still want to smoke after not smoking for that long, then you quit wrong. He gets pretty irritated when I say that.

Edit to fix math error.
Did you have cravings to begin with?

I was hooked for those 12+ years I smoked. I attempted quitting more times than I can remember during that span. In the end all it took was reading the right book at the right time.

Saying that you are not addicted to nicotine after ingesting it for years is like saying you are the one speshul snowflake who doesn't burn when exposed to fire. It is extremely addictive to all humans, that's kinda the point. You don't gain any points for being the one person who can quit without cravings, and you are inadvertently helping Big Tobacco by saying that this drug is not addictive. They can't even say that anymore, (because it has been proven to be a LIE over and over again), so it's good for them when their customers or former customers do the lying for them.

You may think you're being inspirational when you say it's possible to quit without cravings, but in fact it's extremely detrimental to the morale of someone trying to quit when they hear this crap about how they wouldn't want a smoke if they were serious about quitting. IMHO, it's equivalent to telling someone addicted to crack that if they just really really want to, they can quit at anytime, without all that sciencey crap to help them. Why don't you guys go do some more research about the effects of nicotine on the brain before spouting bullshit that flys in the face of modern medicine?

You read into a lot when I've said very little. I never said nicotine isn't addictive, nor did I say I never got "cravings". But I have quit for a year and I don't get them anymore (you're welcome to hand me out points for this, but I can tell you that my lack of missing nicotine after quitting is not unique). My intention in pointing this out wasn't to be inspirational, as this is not a how to quit smoking forum. It's talking about smoking and the effects that it would have on our sims. My point is that some people can quit and nicotine no longer effects affects them, and some can quit and it continues to dominate their lives. I'd hate to have my sims have a negative moodlet FOREVER because they smoked and then quit, and that's why I brought this up.

Incidentally if you are trying to quit, I can recommend a really good book for it.

Edit to fix grammar error.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 25, 18:22:56 by superransom » Logged
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2009 June 25, 22:39:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Typically it's been people with patterns and habits involving smoking that get the most cravings. There is a guy I know who is addicted to pot. Pot is not physically addictive but it is mentally, because he has patterns that he follows with it. He wakes up before work, smokes, gets stressed out, smokes, smokes before bed... yadda yadda. Biggest pot head I know. He is actually incapable of controlling his angry rages on his own any more because he relied upon pot every time he got worked up. Most smokers have patterns and just the motion of taking a drag can become a habit. One guy I know did successfully quit certain cigarettes with no craving for them, by taking up Clove cigs. This kept the motion and the habit, while reducing the nicotine. He doesn't crave the nicotine anymore, but still has to have a focus after those activities that he would have lit up for. My grandmother quit smoking years and years ago, only she did it by replacing cigarettes with something else. She is obsessed with gum and chap stick. Mainly the chap stick, she replaced the original motions with something else, no cravings for nicotine. She will fiend for a tube of chap stick though.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 26, 00:39:05 by morriganrant » Logged

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
vincemw
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2009 June 26, 00:31:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My dad's been smoking since he was 13, and he's now 46. He never quit once
Bass Junkie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2009 June 26, 00:45:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My dad's been smoking since he was 13, and he's now 46. He never quit once

What a role model, teaching you to never give up!
Aaroc
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2009 June 26, 03:08:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm 26 and I've been smoking since I was 12 or so. The only times I've ever quit was when I simply had no choice. such as when I went to Marine Corps Boot Camp. Not allowed to smoke there of course, but the day I got home I bought some cigarettes immediately after having gone without even a fiending for one in 3 months.

Of course I had to quit again for a month a month later because of MCT. I've simply never really had a want to quit. The only thing making me consider it now is because of the ridiculous prices.
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2009 June 26, 04:26:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I have another idea.  If we HAVE to give the cigarettes unpleasant side effects, let's not make it so grim nobody wants to play with it.

I suggest that smoking Sim-cigarettes should make your Sims have gay lusty thoughts.  It should give them wants to flirt/kiss/woohoo with any nearby sims of the same sex, regardless of their relationship level.  (Maybe it makes gay sims have straight thoughts?) 

Now that could create some interesting gameplay opportunities.  And I'm sure there is an interesting moral message in there, somewhere, although I'm not sure what.

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Bass Junkie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2009 June 26, 04:34:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, I fail to see how that is even remotely related to the effects of nicotine.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2009 June 26, 04:49:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I have another idea.  If we HAVE to give the cigarettes unpleasant side effects, let's not make it so grim nobody wants to play with it.
There seems to be plenty of people in this thread who would play with it if it was that grim. Part of the fun here is ruining their little sim lives. I could also see it and a useful teaching tool for kids. Anyway, I seriously doubt most of this thread could be implemented at all. It's just idle musings.

I suggest that smoking Sim-cigarettes should make your Sims have gay lusty thoughts.  It should give them wants to flirt/kiss/woohoo with any nearby sims of the same sex, regardless of their relationship level.  (Maybe it makes gay sims have straight thoughts?) 
Sounds more like X to me.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
timelycorruption
Corpulent Cretin

INTP, Explorer/Killer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2009 June 26, 19:21:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now that could create some interesting gameplay opportunities.  And I'm sure there is an interesting moral message in there, somewhere, although I'm not sure what.

Wasn't it said by Pescado that sims have no predetermined gender preference in TS3?

It's not SUPPOSED to be happening, but it apparently is anyway!
Zouflain
Blathering Buffoon

"Who set all these labmonkeys free?!"

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2009 June 28, 00:31:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...I suggest that smoking Sim-cigarettes should make your Sims have gay lusty thoughts... And I'm sure there is an interesting moral message in there, somewhere, although I'm not sure what.
Smoking leads to being gay?  I seriously hope you're kidding, lol.

Originally I cringed away from the idea of cigarettes in The Sims, probably because I can't stand the habit and many of the people around me who've succumbed to it develop an entitlement complex (I want to smoke, so you have to breath it too, and if you say anything about me breathing my cancerous death fumes down your throat, you're persecuting me!), but if it weren't a positive or encouraged thing, then I could see having it in game.  To incorporate something like that though, I think it would be a lot of work for little real gain.  Instead of smoking, other addictions might be more feasible, like chewing tobacco, as it doesn't require a massive host of new animations.
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2009 June 28, 01:41:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

many of the people around me who've succumbed to it develop an entitlement complex (I want to smoke, so you have to breath it too, and if you say anything about me breathing my cancerous death fumes down your throat, you're persecuting me!)

Waah, waaah, I don't know why I have to breathe car exhaust if I want to jog on the sidewalk.

I see it more as succumbing to bullshit civil rights, rather than any complex.  It seems similar to anything else so many other things where someone wants to do something legal, and someone opposes it.  Usually, the opposition just has to STFU.

Like if I have to tolerate that quart of Chanel #5 that broad near me is wearing.  It doesn't matter if I'm getting sick and dizzy and I swear I'm breaking out in hives... she is entitled to wear it.  I doubt she has an "entitlement complex" -- which I don't believe is a correct term.

A more fundamental example would be the freedom of speech.  So, people can say what they want, when they want, keeping in mind certain legal responsibilities, like avoiding harassment and liable, and local provisions such as decibel level and time of day for disturbing the peace.  Most of the time, if someone says something you don't like, you just have to suck it up.  They are entitled to speak -- they don't have a complex.  Unfortunately, we do not have the right to silence.  They are entitled; we have to tolerate.  Being entitled isn't a complex.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 28, 01:51:55 by McCrea » Logged
Zouflain
Blathering Buffoon

"Who set all these labmonkeys free?!"

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2009 June 28, 05:56:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Waah, waaah, I don't know why I have to breathe car exhaust if I want to jog on the sidewalk.

I see it more as succumbing to bullshit civil rights, rather than any complex.  It seems similar to anything else so many other things where someone wants to do something legal, and someone opposes it.  Usually, the opposition just has to STFU.
I think you misunderstand to whom I was referring.  Certainly smoking in a legal area is something I'd just have to deal with.  I mean the kind of people who will walk up to you/your group, light a cigarettes next to or upwind of you, then get enraged if you ask them to kindly smoke somewhere else - especially when you're in a state mandated no smoking area.  Or people who think it's funny to stand in a vortex so that passing air pulls their smoke into the aforementioned building, as is the case I so frequently have to encounter.  They feel entitled to fuck with other people for no apparent reason.  Certainly it's within someone's rights to smoke, but being an asshole about it is something else entirely.
jonas
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2009 June 28, 08:04:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Me again, I've been away a few days with school stuff and other annoying rl things plus the patch temporarily killed my playtime.

I see this thread is showing some evidence of erosion into the realm of a smoking debate.  While I also have strong feelings in that arena, I will keep them to myself to stay on-topic here.

Again, mostly what I'm looking for is for my sims to have their Simbacco habits made graphically representable and as a boon for storytelling.  The mod with moodlets and death extras is an exciting additional possibility and this thread is here to see how such a mod could be accomplished.

That being said, there have been some cool suggestions/implements and one..other one.

For a special death by Simbacco a spontaneous combustion would be awesome. The sim would just burst into flames, scream a bit then curl up.

Maybe a coffee clone could do it as it already has a good moodlet when immediatly drunk (the energy one), then a bad one a couple of hours after (the grumpy one). Adding some moddlets ideas for that: a bad breath moodlet that would only go away by brushing your teeth and a bad smell one that would annoy non-smoker sims whereas smoker sims would immediately have an urge for a death stick if they smell that odor.
EDIT: typo

Love this idea of the coffee clone being used.  Maybe it could even be tweaked for a more powerful moodlet swing!  While I still like the thought of the sim choking as smoke envelops them to death, Spontaneous combustion is always nice and fun to see in the Sims and probably a lot easier to implement animation-wise than the smoking one.

But cigarettes are actually a stimulant. Would it maybe be possible to decrease the amount of time they can exercise, but add a tiny bit to their Energy meter. I think that would work best, if it were possible. Or maybe a custom moodlet that would prevent them from exercising, sort of like Fatigued by shorter.

Fatigue is independent of energy in the sims 3.  So we could do both... a slight boost to energy but an increase in fatigue.  Maybe whatever moodlet we'd use for "just smoked" would work like the caffeine moodlet in that the being tired moodlets would be suppressed while it is active.

Simious and Watersmoon's thoughts on the caffeine moodlet and higher fatigue is something I would think is a must for this mod.

side note from ex smoker :: add less hunger, as a lot of people smoke instead of munchies on food.
Again, this should be a feature.

If I ever support them into the game, I'm going to refer to them as Death Sticks. Like the caffeine buzz crash, your sim will then get a negative moodlet of "Could use a Death Stick". To prevent the negative moodlet, you must then give your sim another death stick, and thus the cycle of addiction continues.
  Totally cool with the Death Stick name (want stogies and pipes too, though) and I think this is a great way to implement the addiction.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to add a new skill to the game, but having a smoking "skill" which would really serve as an addiction instead, would be a way to keep track of how severely the need for a cigarette would affect the sim in question.

For example, if you only had one smoking skill point, you might get a positive moodlet from smoking a cigarette, that actually increases your mood a bit, but by the time you have 8 or 9 skill points, you get a -50 moodlet if you haven't had a cigarette in the last hour or so.

And then of course when you master the "Death Stick Skill" You die.

The only problem with this method is that a sim could never quit smoking without dire consequences because of a permanent -50 moodlet. But what's worse.. that moodlet, or dying by maximizing the skill?

This idea cracks me up as well and could be an interesting and fun way to show the addiction - the massive hit to the sim's moodlet accurately portrays most smoker's (certainly my own) mood when going too long without.  There would have to be a way to kill the permanence though eventually - like how the "furious" relationship bar goes down in time....somehow.

I want to give you the Bunny with a Pancake image for this one, but that belongs to Pescado on this site.  I also want to call you names reserved for people with fewer mental capacities but instead I'm just going to go WTF??!?!??!?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2009 June 28, 08:11:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or people who think it's funny to stand in a vortex so that passing air pulls their smoke into the aforementioned building, as is the case I so frequently have to encounter.  They feel entitled to fuck with other people for no apparent reason.
Oh, that one's easy. Just discreetly dump a chamber pot on them.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
edejan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2009 June 29, 15:51:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd love to see a smoking mod with extreme chain smoking.  I have a character who badly needs this mod.  And I don't care about all the political/health crap.  That's real life.  I just want my sim (his mother actually) to be able to walk around with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth and an ashtray in her hand.  And the ability to tap her cigarette ash off on the side of the ashtray in her hand or just randonly on to the floor just like the real old time smokers did.  And putting down the ashtray on every table corner she walks by.  No big health problems, nothing complicated...maybe a contentment/relaxation moodlet or relief from anxiety.  That would be cool and fun.  I don't see this as glamorizing smoking, it was just a fact of life for many people.
Blech
Garrulous Gimp

Moar Stanky Than You

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2009 June 29, 16:34:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd love to see a smoking mod with extreme chain smoking.  I have a character who badly needs this mod.  And I don't care about all the political/health crap.  That's real life.  I just want my sim (his mother actually) to be able to walk around with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth and an ashtray in her hand.  And the ability to tap her cigarette ash off on the side of the ashtray in her hand or just randonly on to the floor just like the real old time smokers did.  And putting down the ashtray on every table corner she walks by.  No big health problems, nothing complicated...maybe a contentment/relaxation moodlet or relief from anxiety.  That would be cool and fun.  I don't see this as glamorizing smoking, it was just a fact of life for many people.

But if you remove the element of torture, it's not fun anymore. You can't have the carrot without the big stick. Sad

simsdesperado
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2009 June 29, 17:07:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe they should just add the coughing and choking animations the sims do while eating. My sims always do them and they're so annoying, especially considering the food is most of the time great, excellent or perfect quality. It would make more sense for smokers to have bad coughing fits, thogh I know most of them don't usually. maybe every now and then would be nice.
edejan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2009 June 29, 23:51:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But if you remove the element of torture, it's not fun anymore. You can't have the carrot without the big stick. Sad
[/quote]

LOL - good point!

And I love the idea about the coughing.   Smokers I know cough constantly!!   
WatersMoon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2009 June 30, 20:32:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe that you are referring to MDMA.

I've never seen a Sim choke on food, but that would be perfect for a smoking mod. I wonder if certain Sims could be made to have an autonomous action to Lecture Smoking Sim? That would be pretty funny. Maybe it could lead to fights sometimes?

Don't step on the Mome Raths.
Hitch
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2009 June 30, 21:23:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or people who think it's funny to stand in a vortex so that passing air pulls their smoke into the aforementioned building, as is the case I so frequently have to encounter.  They feel entitled to fuck with other people for no apparent reason.
Oh, that one's easy. Just discreetly dump a chamber pot on them.
That's one of the problems of this modern age in which so many of us live... not a enough filled chamber pots around when you need them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: