More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 13:17:36

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  I would like a Smoking Mod - Can it be done?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I would like a Smoking Mod - Can it be done?  (Read 70738 times)
jonas
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
I would like a Smoking Mod - Can it be done?
« on: 2009 June 20, 06:31:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would like my sims to be able to enjoy the rich, smooth satisfaction that comes from smoking.  I'd like some of my sims to be able to visit Marlboro Country with a cigarette, some sim professor sorts to embellish a smart pipe and of course a big stogie would be available for either the big shots or the wifebeater-clad sort.  For the ladies, an elegant cigarette holder would be great as well.

Basically, what I see needs to happen for this mod (eventually - I know we're not there yet) is for these objects to be made as accessories that employ a simple smoke animation dubbed from one of the in-game animations already present.  I'm not sure which one would work best - I'm keeping my eye out.   The smoking objects would primarily be placed in mouth although a "ring" placement might be easier at first to achieve.

If that's all that is done with the mod someday then that's great, but ultimately, it would be nice to have an actual smoking animation, perhaps an addiction of sorts, a purchase option, and of course an optionally added death possibility in the choking arena for the older sim smokers.

So I'm just putting this out here for ideas on how this could be accomplished.  Feel free to discuss the ways some of this idea could or could not be implemented or add new possibilities for it.  I'll be checking back.

Really not looking to get into some smoking/anti-smoking thing ok? 
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
Re: I would like a Smoking Mod - Can it be done?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 20, 07:46:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Too early and we haven't tackled animation yet.

It will take ages for such a mod to come out but it will come.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 20, 08:55:26 by Giggy » Logged

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
Bass Junkie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 20, 08:29:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would be better off doing it as a food item rather than an accessory - that way a pack of smokes could be the same as a stacked meal, and instead of grabbing a plate, you'd grab a smoke. Could also be purchased in your groceries. I think the only real benefit for performing a mod of this type is to say we can.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 20, 09:20:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When the capacity for animation exists to do such a thing, I will most certainly look to implementing it, complete with the odors, the lung cancer, and all those other fun things you can only get from inhaling a lungful of burning tar.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
morgy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 20, 09:21:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When the capacity for animation exists to do such a thing, I will most certainly look to implementing it, complete with the odors, the lung cancer, and all those other fun things you can only get from inhaling a lungful of burning tar.

Perhaps add something in that will take days away from your sim's lifetime? Tongue  LOL   
jonas
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 20, 09:23:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh I know it's way early yet.   Wink   I just want to get some thinking going on it.  

A food item is not a bad idea.  Would they try to eat it though?  That might be getting into a whole mess of stuff.  But it would make it easier to go purchase them.

I think the only real benefit for performing a mod of this type is to say we can

Mostly, I want it to add character to the sims.  It could really add some interest into screenshots and stories.  Especially movies if we get the smoke animation included.  I picture an evil Cruella-type sim with the cigarette holder or in contrast, the glamorous movie star type. I just have to have a mob boss with a stogie.  Then you have the classic James Dean-y thing with the cigarette.  It just brings more flavor to the sims for the most part.

But the extras could be really cool as well.  I love the ideas of the offensive smell moodlet and days taken away!

Does anyone know how difficult it looks to make new objects at this point?  What kind of knowledge/program will that require? Until the animation gets figured out, there's always the objects, which are basically colored cylinders or tapered cylinders.  
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 20, 09:37:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really not looking to get into some smoking/anti-smoking thing ok? 

Then stop trying to make it sound glamorous.  Or balance the glamorous movie-star imagery in your posts with some imagery of the ugly side of smoking.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 20, 12:22:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then stop trying to make it sound glamorous.  Or balance the glamorous movie-star imagery in your posts with some imagery of the ugly side of smoking.

Kyna, lighten up!  Smoking IS glamorous.  See?

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
MaclimesZero
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 June 20, 12:56:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suspect there was a bit of tongue-in-cheek going on in that first post. I and all of my friends are smokers, and I cannot imagine any of us describing any "rich, smooth satisfaction" and all that silliness. I think he was being at least mildly sarcastic.
timelycorruption
Corpulent Cretin

INTP, Explorer/Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 June 20, 13:27:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Was there a smoking mod for TS2?

It's not SUPPOSED to be happening, but it apparently is anyway!
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 June 20, 13:50:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suspect there was a bit of tongue-in-cheek going on in that first post.

Yes, I thought the same at first, which is why I didn't comment on the first post.  Then he repeated it in a subsequent post.  Once is tongue-in-cheek.  Twice, and it's starting to sound like he works for a tobacco company and is trying to sell us on the glamour aspects of smoking.

And yes, I admit I am a little over-sensitive on this issue as 4 months ago I quit after 30 years of being a heavy smoker.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Blech
Garrulous Gimp

Moar Stanky Than You

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 June 20, 14:03:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My self-sim won't be complete until she has this to show you her stoopid. Another one of the negative moodlets could be waking up with a "sore throat" every god damn day. Or getting super pissy when you run out, until you get more you can only do mean socials.

Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Evil is profitable only when everyone is not evil.
Moar words of wisdom from our wise and bearded Fearless Leader.
WatersMoon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 June 20, 15:24:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is certainly ages away from being possible. I don't think a smoking mod for Sims 2 came out until at least after OFB. The one from 2 was a modified food (actually a glass) item. But I think there were only cigarettes and joints - I never found any usable pipe or cigars.

It would be great to have custom moodlet if smoking is made for the Sims 3. Soar Throat, and maybe some sort of Cigarette Addiction (like a negative moodlet that only goes away after a cigarette - and then comes back after a few hours. Smoking a cigarette would probably raise energy slightly and make the Sim a little less hungry. But maybe a (recolored gray) "stink" would stick around for a while - so that other Sims would think a smoker or recent smoker smelled bad. Also, it would be very cool if smoking shortened a Sim's lifespan! Maybe, if teens smoke on a public lot, the police would pick them up - like with curfews.

Personally, since I don't smoke cigarettes anymore, I'd rather see a pipe or joint - with negative and positive moodlets. Moodlets like the Munchies (a renamed clone of the hungry or really hungry moodlet), perhaps a High moodlet, which would give like an hour + to mood. Smoking a joint would cause a Sim to become very hungry. Maybe Sims could have a slight boost to gaining friendship and a faster social gain with other Sims that are High? And it would have to frequently trigger the Contemplate Surroundings and the Think Hard actions, while also having the random queue drop giving by the Absentminded trait temporarily.

But yeah, cracking into the animations of the game isn't going to be possible for some time. Perhaps also, someday, a grow-able tobacco plant and cannabis plant could be made. After someone figures out how the Sims 3 plants work at all stages. I wish I were helpful into such matters, but I really can't do much without a tutorial to tell me. I am not awesome.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 20, 16:30:16 by WatersMoon » Logged

Don't step on the Mome Raths.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 June 20, 15:49:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And yes, I admit I am a little over-sensitive on this issue as 4 months ago I quit after 30 years of being a heavy smoker.
Yay for Kyna. I've lost too many people in my life to it, basically everyone who smoked consistently for the majority of their life. I have one smoker cousin left, and he's already having problems at "30".

In other news, I want a pony.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 June 20, 17:45:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jonas
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 June 20, 20:28:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That pony bit was fuckin' awesome.

Alright, onto the post.

First, didn't really intend to come off one way or the other with my posts regarding the "glamorous" side of smoking.  Was I being funny? Yup, I'm always throwing humor into my posts.  However, I used those examples as classic stereotypes because that's how I see them getting used in my game.  So there's that...   However, I DO think the cigarette vastly improves the image of Butterfly shirt trailer woman up there. If she would only move her hand over that mustache... Cheesy

But on to the nitty gritty:  

@ Watersmoon:  I would quote your whole post as it's filled with great ideas.  The power of moodlets! Using moodlets to create the addiction, the smell, all the aspects you mention with pot and smoking are freakin' perfect for this sort of mod.  I keep forgetting moodlets when thinking about possibilities and it's really all about them now.  Basically everything you thought of should be a part of this mod.

I'm thinking that new accessories aren't far away since there is already some simple clothing alteration going on.  I'm sure people are dying to get some better accessories in their game like maybe rings on the other hand?? So hopefully, the first element of this mod won't be too far off.  I want to make the objects myself if I can, but I don't know anything about 3d creation yet or even what program I'll need to learn about.  

Also, what goes into pulling already in-game animations out for objects? Is there generally a lot of coding required for that?
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 June 20, 20:38:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yay for Kyna.
In other news, I want a pony.

I quit 3 weeks ago after 19 years.  Wonder if that's why I finally became confrontational enough to post here.   Grin

There's a fine line connecting the facts that I smoked Camels and that I quit cold-Turkey.

Camels trump ponies.  I want a camel.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 June 20, 22:47:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a fine line connecting the facts that I smoked Camels and that I quit cold-Turkey.
Camels trump ponies.  I want a camel.

If you only quit 3 weeks ago, I don't doubt it at all.

Tribulatio proxima est
Ashkitty
Blathering Buffoon

Now with Less Mania!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 June 20, 22:53:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*lights up a cigarette, drags, instantly offends 90% of people in an eight mile radius*

Quitting is on my list of "things I really need to do but don't actually have the willpower to accomplish."

I never had this fancy animated smoking pack from Sims 2 ya'll are talking about. All I had were some clothing accessory cigarettes. I am jealous. I love the idea of moodlets though. I think sore throat is a little silly.. if you got a bad case of that when you were first smoking, we'd have many less smokers yet. I propose the first moodlet be "Nicotine Euphoria" (a positive bonus); that little happy feeling fresh lungs get when they first hit. Nice little head high there. It's how they get you. Then after a while, this would stop appearing entirely; no bonus. But you have to keep smoking. If you stop, then you get the "Nicotine Fiend" negative moodlet. You need a cigarette, or you get angry, grouchy and sad. I think, after that, and after a length of time has passed -- say a sim month, who knows -- the "sore throat" would be more viable. Or Black Lungs.

I would buy this mod for 56,185,166 ZWD.

But, I would also be content with a little ciggy, joint, and swisher sweet clothing accessory so I can at least take awesome looking screenshots.

Oh by the way Jonas, I thought your initial post was hilariously worded.

Cutlass kitty demands treasure! Yaarrr!
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 June 21, 01:09:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Katy from the now defunct PCSims (?) made the smokable cigarettes. The files are probably still floating around if you still play TS2.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 June 21, 04:05:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Claw made smokeable cigarettes (or weed) for TS1, still available at 8DS as far as I know.  It was a lame animation.  They just stood there and raised their arm up and down a few times.

I think this would be quite feasible if you kept your ambitions small.  I think a cigarette mesh for an accessory item would do the job.  I'd kind of like Bella to have a long cigarette holder.  Sure, she would poke everybody's eye out with it, but hey, that kind of thing never bothered Crammyboy very much, so why sweat the small details?

Cwieberdink, that pic looks just like most of my townies!  We're halfway there!  Now if we could just overcome that small "accessory item mesh" hurdle...

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Caraleede
Retardo Lander

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 June 21, 04:11:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lung Cancer moodlet: -50 Mood + Death.

Roll Eyes

Without negative side-effects, this mod doesn't deserve to even be discussed.
Simius
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 June 21, 04:32:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lung Cancer moodlet: -50 Mood + Death.

Roll Eyes

Without negative side-effects, this mod doesn't deserve to even be discussed.
Which thread are you reading?

So far we have being smelly, withdrawal, buying new smokes, shortening of lifespan, sudden death.  Or do you think those are positive things?

Back on topic... The withdrawal time should be related to how many cigs you have smoked.  Someone who is quiting after smoking 20 cigs should have a harder time than someone who only smoke 1.  I also really like the "nicotine euphoria" for new smokers appearing for a while after they smoked slowly being replaced with "nicotine fiend" for old smokers who haven't smoked in a while.  That seems pretty true to life.
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 June 21, 04:53:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup. A pickuppable object (cigarette) with custom animations.
In TS3 with the great accessible inventory this could be all that's needed.

This mod wasn't actually that great at all, though it sufficed.  All the mods that site produced were ALMOST awesome.  They were just never polished and finished like the ones here though they were some of the greatest projects ever started for the game.  The projects they took on were too big and were never fully implemented without a ton of errors and no real testing after they were  "finished". Still, much of what they did was quite ingenious, if a little rough around the edges.

I always hoped something better would come out for smoking, or that mod would be updated, but that's all that ever came around.  I definitely hope the Sims 3 has a better one.  If Pescado works on it, that you can bet it will be interesting.  Roll Eyes

I am always prepared to see at least one whiner whenever a smoking mod is mentioned.  It's so utterly boring.
rosess
Dimwitted Dunce

I caught you a deelishus bass

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 June 21, 06:59:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found this TS2 guy dancing around with smoke coming from his hand and did a double-take.

Turns out the garage was too small to finish painting the car, and when the repair was interrupted the spray-paint animation continued.  For a second I thought I had a real rebel in the game, with his own supplier.   Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: