More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 13:15:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Re-Installation Misery
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Re-Installation Misery  (Read 3381 times)
January
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Re-Installation Misery
« on: 2009 June 19, 15:26:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried to install Open For Business, and it destroyed the game, as, I learn, is not unusual. So I uninstalled everything, hoping that, upon reinstall, things would be de-destroyed -- but on 23%, after I insert the second disk, the install freezes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: I apologise if I haven't included sufficient information. I'll try to reply promptly to any requests for further details.

EDIT: I can haz Goolgol plz: here has a fix for the exact problem described above, involving a manual install (making a file named 'Disk Images' containing four files ('Disk 1' - 'Disk 4') and manually c&ping from each CD, but I still, on the fourth CD which appears to have lots of compressed files in, get the error message "cannot copy compressed: invalid ms-dos function," which Google is not so helpful with. The CD looks relatively unscathed, but it has a ripe vintage (dating back to when the game first came out). Should I give the CD up for dead, or could the problem possibly be blamed on something else? If the former, does anyone know of somewhere good to make a little pirate, just for the last little handful of files?
« Last Edit: 2009 June 19, 22:10:33 by January » Logged
January
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Re: Re-Installation Misery
« Reply #1 on: 2009 August 19, 13:22:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I have returned to the house where I play the Sims and am still trying to make the installation work.

I have tried the manual install again and no joy, was unable to "copy compressed" most of the way through disk 4, same as last time. So my latest attempt - on the advice of a friend - is to try and make a disk image of disk 4 and then burn that to a CDR and then copy and paste the files off the CDR instead of the original CD. So I install ImgBurn and lo and behold, after 20 attempts at this one error section (78%), it gives up and tells me:

I/O Error!

Device: [1:0:0] HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B E106 (D:) (ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: BE 00 00 F2 BB 00 00 01 10 00 00
Interpretation: Read CD - Sector: 193211

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 64 00 00 00 00 00
Interpretation: Illegal Mode For This Track

The CD that is calling all these problems iis pretty immaculate, and it'd be a real bugger to have to buy a whole new box for just this one piddling bloody bit of disk 4. Is there any way of getting this ruddy little piece of data from anywhere else? If anyone has any ideas, it would be really great if you could advise me on what, if anything, I can do.
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2009 August 19, 15:22:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I don't know a lot about copying disc images, but I solved the problem with the freezing when trying to insert the second disc by turning off my internet and antivirus temporarily for the install.

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

January
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 August 19, 19:58:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Both auto and manual install attempted without internet, antivirus or success. Same problems as before - freezes at second disk 23% on auto, and almost all the way through disk 4 on manual, claiming to be unable to "copy compressed" because of an "invalid MS-DOS function."

Thanks for replying though. Any other thoughts, anyone?
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2009 August 19, 20:04:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, according to the site you linked:

A CRC error normally occurs when the CD/DVD is damaged.
Try performing a manual installation.

Which you did.

If you still get the CRC message then return the game to the place of purchase and get it replaced.

It thus seems pretty obvious that your disc 4 is scratched or damaged.  IIRC there are devices for removing scratches from discs, but if that doesn't work then you'll either have to buy the game again, harass EA to give you another copy, or arr.

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: