More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 09:56:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Playing The Horror with a dual core processor
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Playing The Horror with a dual core processor  (Read 7822 times)
vikitty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Playing The Horror with a dual core processor
« on: 2009 June 18, 13:22:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyone else having speed/lag issues? My system is more than capable of running The Horror but someone at N99 said it could be because The Horror does not like my dual core processor and I should try and run it using just one processor?

Vikitty is dumb and does not know how to do this. D:

Each processor is 2.13GHz so that should be enough for The Horror (which requires 2GHz).

Please advise! Smiley
I.Am.She
Asinine Airhead

Fanny Lips

View Profile
Re: Playing The Horror with a dual core processor
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 18, 13:32:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dont think it should make much difference. But when TS3 is running, open task manager, right click on TS3.exe click affinity or something along those lines, and uncheck the second processor.
VacantBlue
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 18, 13:38:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not having any lag issues with my 3.0 GHz duo core processor.

There are quite a few other things that could be causing your lag.  You may want to post all of your computer specs; so, we can see the whole picture.
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 18, 13:53:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am playing the game on a dual core processor, with no lag issues. The speed of time is slow anyway. Long time ago I changed the gaming to one processor, got the info from windows. ( I don't know your OS) I.Am.She. has reminded me.

Also I optimized my dual processors by downloading a dual-core optimizer from the manufacturer. I am not sure what it does, but it was suggested when I had lag-problems playing TS2.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
vikitty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 18, 14:14:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting. I set the game to run on its own processor and the performance went waaaay up. Before, the game was laggy, jumpy (as in animation would stop/start) and jerky -- doing anything would have a delay of about 5seconds which was VERY frustrating in CAS. It's now more smooth and reactions are faster.

Specs:
Intel(R) Core 2 CPU
6400 @ 2.13 gHz
2.00 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE (256MB memory)
128GB free hard drive space

I did do a disk defragment last night -- would that also have had an effect?
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Horrible Halfwit

DON'T PANIC!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 18, 18:01:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would imagine that part of your lag has to do with that graphics card, too.  It's not that spectacular of a gaming card (even though it's labeled by Nvidia as one) as it's rather low-end now.  As a friend once put it, "Never buy a card with LE or SE anywhere in the name.  LE = lags on everything, and SE = sucks at everything."

What resolution are you playing in and what are your graphic settings in the game?

Too many retards
cum heer n tipe jus liek dis
ENGLISH, LEARN YOU SOME

INTP, if you care about that.
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 18, 18:12:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When turning on anisotropic filtering yesterday in the Nvidia control panel, I came across an option to optimize multi CPU (not GPU) usage and while I haven't had any serious performance issues to begin with, I have to say it's made a noticeable difference. 

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 18, 18:33:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah should have known it was just observer bias.  Oh well - like I said, it's not like I had any performance issues anyway.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
WerewolfOfTheWater
Asinine Airhead

derp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2009 June 18, 23:39:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a dual core and it runs just perfectly for me, rarely ever any lag in anything, even when I'm recording.

You don't even
vikitty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 June 19, 01:01:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for the advice, everyone. I am trying it again with both processors and it is running smoothly s well, so I'm wondering if it was more the defrag that helped.

Will ponder a new graphics card. I've never updated my computer and I'm a bit cautious, both financially and technically.
Mooingloudly
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 June 20, 04:36:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My Geforce Graphics card is a 7100 model  which I presume is lower than yours model wise. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to run it but I haven't had any problems. I have even set a couple of the graphic settings set to high. Not all of them mostly Sim Details and such. Once in a great the window goes black for a moment. (not my entire monitor but the windowed sims3 session. But it's not often enough to even be annoying. I'd post my specs but that would be redundant as I have a thread kicking round here somehwhere.
farmersimmer
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 June 20, 09:58:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahh maybe that is why my sims wife can go out and find her husbands exact clone ( same name) hanging in the park? Dual clones dual processor Smiley
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 June 20, 10:26:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No. The reason THAT happens is because the game is snarfing entries from the library and cloning them into your neighborhood. We're working on preventing that.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
JacquiES
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 June 20, 15:33:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No. The reason THAT happens is because the game is snarfing entries from the library and cloning them into your neighborhood. We're working on preventing that.

Awesome, because I just found a complete clone family living in a house pretty much down the road from the original.  I thought I had deleted the family out of the library in time, but obviously not.  The little girl was riding her bike home and passed her clone also riding her bike.  Very strange.
vikitty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 June 20, 16:15:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Happy to report that even with my ghetto card, preformance has improved a LOT since the defrag. I'm still going to upgrade my card down the road but for now I'm enjoying playing the game Cheesy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: