More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 19, 05:58:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6510 Members
Latest Member: TGTams
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  IMPORTANT DESIGN POLL
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Does anyone here actually play this game without a scrolly wheel?  (Voting closed: 2009 June 24, 17:22:35)
Yes - 29 (8.6%)
No - 308 (91.4%)
Total Voters: 336

Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: IMPORTANT DESIGN POLL  (Read 44330 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
IMPORTANT DESIGN POLL
« on: 2009 June 17, 17:22:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have come to a point where the design of Awesomeware may come to REQUIRE a scrolly-wheel in the future, as I cannot discern what keyboard substitutes permits one to do without it. Does anyone actually NOT have one?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Death-Jester
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT DESIGN POLL
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 17, 17:36:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Scroll wheel mice are incredibly cheap - I have seen basic ones go for about £3-4 in PCWorld.

I think that if you can afford the game (*ahem* Wink) and afford the computer the play it on, then a cheapo mouse should not be a problem.
Things like that should not be a roadblock when you are trying to improve the game as you have been. If people are unwilling to pay for a mouse with a scroll wheel they don't have to use your mod, do they?

In conclusion - Sod 'em!
Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 17, 17:44:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why not use keyboard substitutes z and x like TS2 does? Otherwise, yeah. Mice are cheap. Are they even made without scroll wheels anymore? Even laptops have scroll wheel functions on the touchpad.

INEPT INTP
Hanlon Razor
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 17, 17:47:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Laptops. But I'm not using one of those. So go for it! Moar shiny is moar better.
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 17, 18:09:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a bit of a freak and use a tablet for everything(this one) it does have a touch ring on it that I use to zoom in and out so I have the functionality without an actual mouse with a wheel.

So I may have only answered "No" to toss a wrench in the works but you did ask.

I'm an apathetic sociopath, I'd kill you if I cared.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 17, 18:10:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a scrolly-wheel on my mouse, but I do not use it.  I'm not even sure what functions it would fulfill.  Whatever they are, I don't use keyboard substitutes.  I use edge scrolling and point-click with the mouse.  Does this help?

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 17, 18:12:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why not use keyboard substitutes z and x like TS2 does?

Actually, I think TS3 still does that.  I just glanced in the game manual that someone uploaded, and under "Key Commands" it says:

Zoom in/out    Z/X or =/- or Num Pad + / Num Pad -

EDIT: And testing in the game, all three do work.

brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 17, 18:16:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I play with the scroll wheel on the mouse, so it's no problem. I forget too much to use 'hotkeys'.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 June 17, 18:19:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm afraid that requiring a scrolly-wheel could be a problem for me.  What feature is going to require it?

This is not a monetary issue for me, but an issue of ability; I am unable to use a standard mouse.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
kattenijin
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 June 17, 18:24:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use a trackball mouse, but functionally, it's pretty much the same as a scrolly-wheel.
simmilk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 June 17, 18:34:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use the scroll wheel to zoom and pivot, but I wouldn't have a problem swapping to hotkeys...  unless you plan to have it dim all the lights in the living room, start up the fireplace, and set the stereo to play sexy 70s love-making music.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 June 17, 18:36:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a scroll-wheel, but I hate using the feature. Over-using it can cause some sort of tendonitis-adjacent condition that has me in pain for days. I play using directional keys, z/x, number keys for speed and camera presets. Mouse is only used for commands.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 June 17, 21:02:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On mac the scroll wheel settings can become pretty annoying for TS2 so I am not sure about TS3. I play on windows for TS3 right now, and the scroll wheel "button" works when it wants to :/
moondance
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 June 17, 21:07:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I couldn't stand to play TS2 or TS3 without my scroll wheel.  I had to, with TS2, briefly, when my old trackball-with-scrollwheel died, and having to deal with the keyboard for moving around made me grumpy. With these two games, and some others, the only times I ever touch the keyboard at all is for cheats, or to name something.  If I wanna use a keyboard to play a game, I play Nethack.  Cool
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 June 17, 21:56:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I couldn't stand to play TS2 or TS3 without my scroll wheel.

I tried sims 3 on my brothers computer briefly where the scroll wheel wasn't working for some reason.  Needless to say i couldn't do anything since i use the scroll wheel for adjusting the view constantly.  I told him to fix the damn scroll wheel and well he did.
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 June 17, 22:12:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I couldn't stand to play TS2 or TS3 without my scroll wheel.

I tried sims 3 on my brothers computer briefly where the scroll wheel wasn't working for some reason.  Needless to say i couldn't do anything since i use the scroll wheel for adjusting the view constantly.  I told him to fix the damn scroll wheel and well he did.

Yup, I agree completely.

How can anyone NOT use a scroll wheel?

Captain Swooptie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 June 17, 23:00:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup, I agree completely.

How can anyone NOT use a scroll wheel?

As stated before, by being physically unable to use a standard mouse.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 June 17, 23:07:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's just my habit not to use the scroll wheel, doubtless from having a mouse with no scroll wheel for so many years.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Ashkitty
Blathering Buffoon

Now with Less Mania!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 June 17, 23:15:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*quietly contemplates what awesome awesomemod feature needs scrollies*

I can't think of anything. x_x

Yeah, I use my scroll wheel constantly. I could understand a backup set of keys, though; the Z X or + - combo would be awesome since there are three sets of keys that do it already. Bit excessive..

Cutlass kitty demands treasure! Yaarrr!
EdenNintyNine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 June 17, 23:49:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Give me scroll wheel or give me death?

To aid those who do not scroll wheel, would it be possible to have two versions of AWESOMEMOD- one for the wheel inclined and one for those stuck in the stone age?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 June 17, 23:57:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm afraid that requiring a scrolly-wheel could be a problem for me.  What feature is going to require it?
I have discovered that the menu for the  Interaction Tones, once the list grows longer than can fit on the screen, can only be scrolled using the scrolly wheel. Z and X are not acceptable substitutes, as these keys are bound to zoom-in/zoom-out and respond as such when pressed under those conditions. Right NOW, it's not a problem at all, but I am forward-facing.

This is not a monetary issue for me, but an issue of ability; I am unable to use a standard mouse.
Does whatever you use have an equivalent analogous functionality? The actual presence of the wheel is not as important as the ability to issue the command. If you have a means of scrolling a page or zooming in and out without resorting to Z/X or the arrow keys, then you still have a scrolly wheel.

I'm a bit of a freak and use a tablet for everything(this one) it does have a touch ring on it that I use to zoom in and out so I have the functionality without an actual mouse with a wheel.
Then you do, in fact, have a scrolly wheel, regardless of its physical form.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zazu
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 June 18, 00:06:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I actually play without a scrolly wheel.
BrokenRobot
Dimwitted Dunce

sekrit Republican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2009 June 18, 00:08:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm, I have one, but I've never even thought to use it while playing a Sims game.  Shouldn't be a problem, though.
minidoxigirli
Feckless Fool

ESFP- I'm a speshul snowflake

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 June 18, 00:08:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm on a laptop, so I don't have a scrollwheel.  I sometimes use my mouse, but the scrollwheel has been acting up lately (it will scroll, but clicking and holding it does nothing).  For scrolling, I can use the side of the pad, and for clicking and holding the scrollwheel, Sims 3 allows me to hold down both the right and the left mouse buttons.  That doesn't work in all games, though.  So basically, I have the capabilities to use a scrollwheel, but in different forms.  I hope that wouldn't be a problem.

If Awesomemod does end up needing a scrollwheel, give us a little advance notice, so that us strangeos can take care of our system.

My claim to Sims fame?  I was featured as a Sims 2 fan on an MTV show about The Urbz.  I'm badass like that.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 June 18, 00:15:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The arrow keys or page up/page down won't work?

*has a scrolly wheel and will be happy to use it, is just curious*

Unsouper
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: