More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 15:10:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Hackintosh : Sharing core Horror files between OSes
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Hackintosh : Sharing core Horror files between OSes  (Read 3820 times)
LMahesa
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Hackintosh : Sharing core Horror files between OSes
« on: 2009 June 16, 15:50:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I installed OSX in a 15Gb logical partition last friday, so I'm now quad booting DOS/XP/Gentoo/OSX. Under XP, I have TS3 installed on an NTFS partition, which is visible with full RW capability under OSX using Paragon's NTFS driver.

Now that I'm fully patched up to 10.5.7, I want to take some games for a spin - starting with TS3. However, I only have 3Gb left on the HFS+ drive.

What I want to know is, is it possible, even theoretically, to have TS3 read the data files from the TS3 folder in my Games partition? I noticed that, after examining the contents of the Mac-side TS3 installer it is effectively a Wine wrapper (BAD, Lazy EA!). Can I unpack this manually and edit whatever config files necessary?

Alternatively, as it uses Wine anyway, is there a way to make Crossover run it direct without going through the whole installation-in-a-bottle process again?
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
Re: Hackintosh : Sharing core Horror files between OSes
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 16, 19:57:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, pretty much ALL the data files are inside the .app, wineserver and stuff included, so I'm afraid it's pretty much impossible to split them. The Sims™ 3.app is 5,91 Gb.

Elaborating more: AFAIK, the binary executable links directly to the data inside the .app; the .app itself is a sort of bottle, I didn't find anything to configure which could lead cider (the executable) to launch stuff located in a different path.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 16, 20:06:53 by Marhis » Logged

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
LMahesa
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 17, 00:33:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Marhis, your explanation's helped me form an idea actually.

I'll mess around with it when I get back from work, and post the results should I be successful.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 17, 00:45:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Elaborating more: AFAIK, the binary executable links directly to the data inside the .app; the .app itself is a sort of bottle, I didn't find anything to configure which could lead cider (the executable) to launch stuff located in a different path.
ln -sf?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 17, 06:54:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ln -sf?

Heh, I'm actually doing experiments on links, both symbolic and hard, but with no much success. There's something weird about those; I think it's also because of Mac OS X refuses to consider .app directories like proper directories in any way, and acts weird with the files included, linked or not. Plus, windows shortcuts are different - no way the two systems recognize their link files each other properly.
I'm in the process of trying to sort out something useful - I made an installer similar to Delphy's Monkey, but for Mac - but it's harder than I expected to.
Well, I'm also not the best in these matters, but that's another story Tongue.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
LMahesa
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 17, 07:50:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ln -sf?

Heh, I'm actually doing experiments on links, both symbolic and hard, but with no much success.

Heh, well that's pretty much killed my primary idea.
LMahesa
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 17, 10:49:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Semi success!

Totally ignoring the installer, I unpacked The Sims3.app folder, dragged it to the Applications folder, and edited the following files :

\Applications\The Sims3.app\Contents\Info.plist
Code:
	<key>CedegaGameDir</key>
<string>D:\The Sims 3/Game/Bin</string>
<key>CedegaGameName</key>
<string>D:\The Sims 3/Game/Bin/TS3.exe</string>

\Applications\The Sims3.app\Contents\Resources\Preferences\config
Code:
[Drive D]
"Path" = "\Volumes\Games"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "Games"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

By double-clicking the app, the Launcher appears. When I click Launch Game, it asks for a CD.

I went to the terminal, navigated to \Applications\The Sims3.app\Contents\MacOS and ran .\cider

A window appeared with the green plumbob. Then the screen went blank, and I got roughly 5 seconds of the loading game music. Then nothing. I had to reset the computer because, being a n00b, I didn't/still don't know the keyboard combination to restart.

Now, the drive I have it installed on is actually NTFS, and currently read only. I wasn't expecting TS3 to demand write privs, so perhaps that's the problem.

Anyway, I'll go back to OSX a bit later once I finish chatting to some birds.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: