More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 23, 23:19:43

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  What, in Heaven's name, is up with traits?! Scary Pic included
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What, in Heaven's name, is up with traits?! Scary Pic included  (Read 69070 times)
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Re: What, in Heaven's name, is up with traits?! Scary Pic included
« Reply #50 on: 2009 June 17, 02:08:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems to me that we judge females more harshly than males when it comes to physical appearance...

Ah, yes.  I wonder when that started.

Please upload that to photobucket/tinypic/wherever rather than hotlinking MTS... you do realize that hotlinking is generally considered to be both very rude and actually IS bandwidth theft, right?

That's right.  We don't tolerate no gol-durned thieves around these here parts.  We got a rope hangin' from a tree ready for 'em.

Unfunny12 could have easily said "poorly trained plastic surgeon" but instead chose to use wording specifically crafted to disparage a large group of people.

I took that a different way entirely.  I think she may have been referring to the "westernizing" plastic surgery that is popular in some Asian countries.  I didn't take it to be a comment about the surgeons themselves.

Here's a before and after example, actress Lindsay Price.  How tragic.
http://www.makemeheal.com/news/images/lindsay-price-plastic-surgery.JPG

http://www.makemeheal.com/news/category/ethnic/asian-plastic-surgery
« Last Edit: 2009 June 17, 04:37:23 by BastDawn » Logged

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2009 June 17, 02:46:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Magicmoon,
All I was doing was being sarcastic on both parts.  Sarcastic and definitely not worth harping over for even a few sentences.  If you've read my other posts (all of them) you'd realize that I used that very word in my own post.  So, I was basically saying "good one!" to the gal who called him a tard.  That's all. Next time perhaps I should clarify.

@Doc Doofus, I love you.

@Crunk, Don't be silly.  Though I may post a link of the picture on imageshack just to quiet people, such as yourself, who will fill up the thread with comments such as yours.  Let's just keep this conversation to debating fuglys and not fugly behavior. *cough*

Adding:
@falln_angel
I was acutally making fun of "isn't she HAWT" concept.  I certainly wasn't actually serious. I feel just as you do,  put off by those "Gorgeous Sim, Talula Mae Lila Jean" posts.

@GnatGoSplat, I agree, most heartily.  And it is the fault of EAxis for making women a little stunted in looks by default.  So, they got the crap end in real life and Sims life.

Edited: For many things that you can't know.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 17, 02:58:02 by OpiumGirl » Logged
crunk
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2009 June 17, 02:57:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Crunk, Don't be silly.  Though I may post a link of the picture on imageshack just to quiet those who will fill up the thread with comments such as yours.  Let's just keep this conversation to debating fuglys and not fugly behavior. *cough*

Oh relax. Your sims look basically the same to me, although I've noticed that extreme masculine or feminine traits aren't translating well to the other gender. Mostly, I think this entire thread shows that most people are so influenced by standardized images of "beauty" that we've pushed those expectations on to not only ourselves and the people around us, but also onto people-shaped pixels that are designed to entertain us. If anything I think this whole thing is a little disturbing, mostly because of the reactions people seem to have to non-feminine-idealized sims. Overall, I'm in the same camp as the rest of the "eh, they be pixels, omgwtfbbq?"

Also, yes, hotlinking is fairly retarded and shows a nice little streak of laziness. I discovered one of your traits - yay!
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2009 June 17, 03:00:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oops, you found me out.  Don't try the whole romance thing on me, though. It won't work because I'm not single.  Grin
falln_angel
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2009 June 17, 04:15:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Judging people by their genetics has always seemed rather petty to me.
I thought we were judging Sims, not people? Sims don't have a personality beyond what the programming assigns to them, which doesn't leave much to judge them on besides looks/genetics.
Please try to keep up. I said that I find her comments in general sort of distasteful because it reminds me of judging real people by their looks, which is mean-spirited. The judging of the people, not the judging of the sims. She then commented on how she found that surprising of someone who has been here for a bit, since MATY is by nature mean-spirited. I was clarifying the difference between judging people by their genetics and judging people by their actions. Not sims.

I guess it was the last sentence that threw me off.

She's pixels. *shrug* I don't see the point in harping over her, probably because it reminds me of what mean-spirited and shallow people do in real life. I prefer to pick on sims for their stupid names, or for their poor fashion sense.

Not that it really matters all that much. I misunderstood. I stand corrected.
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2009 June 17, 04:53:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I took that a different way entirely.  I think she may have been referring to the "westernizing" plastic surgery that is popular in some Asian countries.  I didn't take it to be a comment about the surgeons themselves.

You may have a point as your lamentable illustration demonstrates. However, the before and after Sim pictures did not look like an example of a westernized Asian so I doubt that funnykid was referring to this practice. Besides, which scenario is more likely? Someone who refers to themselves as funnykid made a racist joke, or someone who refers to themselves as funnykid was able to comment on the changing mores of the Asian public?

As funnykid has chosen to remain silent on this issue, there is nothing I can do but wonder why she would allow me to misinterpret her comment without defending herself.

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
Fubuki
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2009 June 17, 08:13:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems to me that we judge females more harshly than males when it comes to physical appearance...

Ah, yes.  I wonder when that started.

Okay, I presume you're making fun of my post. My excuse: it was 7am and I had not slept in over 24 hours. Next time I find myself in that situation, I will lurk moar.

Anyway, I thought of the perfect example of TS3-style genetics in real life: Rumer Willis, daughter of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore. See? Sometimes genetics do work like that in the real world.

Edited for clarification.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 17, 11:28:24 by Fubuki » Logged
minidoxigirli
Feckless Fool

ESFP- I'm a speshul snowflake

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2009 June 17, 18:50:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyway, I thought of the perfect example of TS3-style genetics in real life: Rumer Willis, daughter of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore. See? Sometimes genetics do work like that in the real world.

They have a two other daughters, too.  A little less potato-y, but potato-y nonetheless:

My claim to Sims fame?  I was featured as a Sims 2 fan on an MTV show about The Urbz.  I'm badass like that.
kemowery
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2009 June 17, 19:39:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've actually been quite pleased with the way my born in game Sims are turning out.  A few have had awkward periods (or really unfortunate hair choices that made them look much worse at the outset), but almost all of them have grown up to be rather pleasing looking.

This has been my experience.  I've been playing with a proxy-me, married to Tori Kitamura.  One of the offpsring had a weirdly wide jaw as a kid, but it just looks chiseled as an adult.
timelycorruption
Corpulent Cretin

INTP, Explorer/Killer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2009 June 17, 21:04:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or Val Kilmer and Joanne Whalley's son, Jack. Perhaps a bit early to tell, but he seems to be in the same boat as Rumer, good-genetics-gone-bad wise.

It's like the exact same with Rumer as in TS3. She got Bruce's face. Unfortunately, it does not translate well to females.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 18, 01:33:28 by timelycorruption » Logged

It's not SUPPOSED to be happening, but it apparently is anyway!
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2009 June 18, 06:03:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which one is Rumer Willis?  The youngest just looks like a tom-boy to me and she the most promising of the bunch.  She has a funny little mouth but the rest of her face is quite pretty. I have a feeling she'll be the prettiest of them all eventually.  The others don't stand much of a chance at this stage. The girl on the right of the photo looks a little on the potato-ish side, which is probably why she's trying to stand "sexy" to overcompensate. Funny, I have never heard anyone described as potato-y/potato-ey.   Cheesy
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2009 June 18, 06:15:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rumer is the one on the left.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2009 June 18, 12:05:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This ugly-Hollywood-kid syndrome is explainable.  We movie-goers, apparently select (in the Mendelian sense) successful stars based on their exaggerated sexual characteristics.  Uber-feminine women, uber-masculine men.  And then when they cross breed, the result is unpleasantly androgynous, like Demi Moore's eyes with Bruce Willis's jaw. 

Now, if Demi had spawned with somebody a little more androgynous looking... like, say this guy:

... then maybe she would have had a rockin' hot-lookin' daughter.  As for a son...  eh...

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2009 June 19, 00:28:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This ugly-Hollywood-kid syndrome is explainable.  We movie-goers, apparently select (in the Mendelian sense) successful stars based on their exaggerated sexual characteristics.  Uber-feminine women, uber-masculine men. 

Then there's looks that are acquired via plastic surgery. Starlet / actor gets rid of embarrassing nose or sunken chin or picket fence teeth, then has daughter or son with THAT nose / chin / grin.

Surgical changes, obviously, aren't genetic.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2009 June 22, 05:04:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And here are the results of my child as promised.  I have to admit that I was completely wrong and those of you who noted that she may turn out normal may gloat. Had I listened to you, I would have saved myself days of terror and apprehension.  Grin Definitely looks unique to any Sims I have but took on both parent's physical traits just fine.

She's got the teen "puffy lips" syndrome like her Mom but that may clear up since I've noticed that teens de-puffify once they turn adult in the game.
The son came out much nicer, though.  I've added his pic as well.
Hair 01

Boy

Edited to resize pic to smaller size and add boy image.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 23, 00:14:46 by OpiumGirl » Logged
funnykid
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2009 June 22, 05:12:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, I think that's what's been bugging me about the before, that I couldn't quite put my finger on. She looks too much like fake plastic celebrity pretty.

Yes, yes! Fake and plastic!
I agree. I like the jaw of the "Before" more as well. The "Before" looks more natural, whereas the "After" looks like she had little tweaks done by a Korean plastic surgeon. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

Just so I know what kind of Tard you are, do you have a problem with Koreans, plastic surgeons, or just when a person is both at the same time?

Cheesy!! I didn't know if I shouild be offended by the whole Korean statement.  My gut feeling was "yes", but "tard" may work depending on whether or not that's a politically correct statement by itself.
 Funnykid has the pictures confused, anyway.  It's the first that has a plastic and stretched look about her.

FYI, I'm Asian and one of my best friends is Korean. I certainly do not have a problem with Korean or plastic surgeons. I was referring to the fact that almost all Korean celebrities have had minor to extensive plastic surgery - some with great results, and some leaving much to be desired. I'm sorry if my comment offended you or anyone else. Smiley
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2009 June 22, 05:21:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nah, it's all good. It was just a "unique" comment that I wasn't quite sure I understood. Smiley
Ashkitty
Blathering Buffoon

Now with Less Mania!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2009 June 23, 09:23:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wanted to say that I think the kids turned out quite nice -- particularly the girl, imho.  Though as you say, the lips could stand a bit of de-puffing, that's about it.

Also, I told you so.

*gloats*

Cutlass kitty demands treasure! Yaarrr!
Rockermonkey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2009 June 23, 10:37:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One thing I do is make sure that the fathers have rather feminine jaws and cheeks. Masculinity seems to be passed onto the girls more often then the guys XD.
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2009 June 25, 03:40:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wanted to say that I think the kids turned out quite nice -- particularly the girl, imho.  Though as you say, the lips could stand a bit of de-puffing, that's about it.

Also, I told you so.

*gloats*
Cheesy You deserve your day of gloating, completely. I'm still in shock, though, about the outcome (that you predicted).

I wouldn't know too much about what you've said, Rockermonkey, since this is my first spawn.  From the looks of things, you may be right, though I'm sure it depends on how the parents look in the first place.  I've found that a lot of times, I make sims with similar features, for one reason or another and that definitely caused the children to come out looking similar to one another at times. Perhaps you have a basic "style" of making sims which causes this same sort of theme for the girls.  I may be wrong about that but, it seems feasible given the trend of my experience with Sims 2.

Thanks to Ashkitty for not being too mean about my mistake. Smiley I can give you a gift of a Sim if you want.

chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2009 June 25, 04:51:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

About the puddingspawn: They all seem to look more-or-less the same (as each other) until aging to teen, kind of like how TS2 spawn tended to all look alike, with a few minor differences. In TS2 we got forced cuteness (before the Seasons WTF is with those krazy cheekbones phenomenon), whereas in TS3 we get potatoheads with squidgy noses that tend to look either sad or angry, depending on their eyebrows. Once they reach teen, they look much, MUCH better, and more like they were actually spawned from their parents.

I've determined that the game strives for androgyny. The males tend to look girly, IMO, and the females often look masculine. This is probably intentional, perhaps to avoid drastic face-blending mishaps in spawn. I haven't looked at the code, however, so I could just be talking out my ass.

About the OP's experimental twins: Both females were pretty, in different ways, but the tweaked version looked more like the male, and thus more like his twin. As far as fugliness/prettiness are concerned, my game has produced some fairly ugly puddings, but still nothing that compares to the fish/gorilla anomaly in TS2.

IN T/F J/P. Yeah, I know.
Ashkitty
Blathering Buffoon

Now with Less Mania!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2009 June 25, 04:53:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I would love to get something from you -- namely, the info on what the hell your icon is. So it's an eye, and there's metal bits in it? It kind of looks like a table from above. Kinda. Or bike racks. And the little jutting bits on the sides, I have no idea. What does it MEAN?!!? What are these metal bits supposed to DO? -_o;

Sorry, I just try to figure it out every time i see it lol.

Edit: Yes, I was talking about Opiumgirl. Sorry! I really thought I quoted her, or something, then I kinda forgot about this thread.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 26, 12:22:29 by Ashkitty » Logged

Cutlass kitty demands treasure! Yaarrr!
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2009 June 25, 07:11:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I would love to get something from you -- namely, the info on what the hell your icon is. So it's an eye, and there's metal bits in it? It kind of looks like a table from above. Kinda. Or bike racks. And the little jutting bits on the sides, I have no idea. What does it MEAN?!!? What are these metal bits supposed to DO? -_o;

Sorry, I just try to figure it out every time i see it lol.

It looks to be a chaos star. For chaos magic.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2009 June 25, 08:09:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that Ashkitty was refering to the OP's avatar, not mine. Mine looks nothing like an eye with metal bits sticking out, though morriganrant is correct. My avi is, indeed, a chaos symbol.

IN T/F J/P. Yeah, I know.
Rockermonkey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2009 June 25, 08:13:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For some reason, all my sims kids(even ingame born) Look really good. Here's a picture of my newest born:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockermonkey999/3659519532/

I  made both his parents though, however. But still, all my kids are really good looking.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: