More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 10:21:38

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  What, in Heaven's name, is up with traits?! Scary Pic included
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What, in Heaven's name, is up with traits?! Scary Pic included  (Read 68537 times)
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: What, in Heaven's name, is up with traits?! Scary Pic included
« Reply #25 on: 2009 June 16, 05:54:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

She's pixels. *shrug* I don't see the point in harping over her, probably because it reminds me of what mean-spirited and shallow people do in real life. I prefer to pick on sims for their stupid names, or for their poor fashion sense.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
purplehaze
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009 June 16, 06:14:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In all fairness, you chose the most unflattering picture of her in the lineup. She's actually quite attractive in the other pics.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes."
MasterDinadan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009 June 16, 06:38:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

She's pixels. *shrug* I don't see the point in harping over her, probably because it reminds me of what mean-spirited and shallow people do in real life. I prefer to pick on sims for their stupid names, or for their poor fashion sense.

Can't tell you how much I agree with this.  I know that these are not real people we are judging, but it still seems sad to me that our society focuses so much on superficial details.  Some of these Sims may not be perfect but I honestly think people are getting a little bit out of hand with their criticisms.  I have found in general that the Sims we have in TS3 are pretty good looking.  Were people expecting every randomly generated CAS Sim to look like a super model or something?

And I think it is much more likely than some people here realize for two beautiful parents to have an "average" or even below average looking child, and vice versa.
dramamine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009 June 16, 07:17:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Our society has been trained for a few generations to judge people on their looks, so you honestly can't expect everyone to be able to discard their life's programming. It took me years to realize that judging people by their looks is a bad idea. In a game where we can control everything that happens, it's easy to understand some peoples' dislike towards aesthetically displeasing Sims.

Personally, I like having some fugly puddings in the game. It allows me to recoil in horror at the EAxis' ability to create the next Fugliest Pudding Ever.

Now, on the example recently added, she looks like a genetically deficient Cameron Diaz with a hint of young Demi Moore. I find her personally repulsive and possible useful to breeding some less desireable traits out of my gene pools.

I like to think fuglies like her are great to have, much like a pure breed dog. The pure breeds have several flaws that come with the breed. A good example is heart problems with a Great Danes. When you make a mutt out of the pure breed, you have something called hyrbid vigor. You get the best traits out of each parent. So cross a Dane with say, a Mastiff. You take the heart problems out, you balance the hip problems, but the down side is you have a weird looking dog.

Much with these Sims, save for the problems. Their problem is that they're fugly. Cross them with another fugly and you should run a pretty good risk of getting a semi-attractive or less-fugly-than-their-parents Sim. You would hope, but I know this isn't the case 100% of the time. It's just nice of having that option seeing as nothing but attractive Sims have produced some pretty scary shit.
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009 June 16, 07:38:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please remember that I've said, more than once that I don't mind fugly sims in my game! No one is judging anyone.  As I also said, I just want normal looking sims to have normal looking offspring. The problem with that sim is that she is classified by a few as "gorgeous" and, that's just, well, retarded as some here might say!

Mean-spirited? Here on this forum? Never thought I'd hear that from any member who has survived so long here.  I have seen some of the most hideous forms of meanness known to man right here.  Cheesy
All of the other pictures of her are just as scary. I picked that image because it was the preview.  I can't imagine the creator would have picked the worst (as someone called it) pic as the main one.  Roll Eyes Not on purpose, anyway. But, since it's becoming more than a joke and politics are poppin' up, I'm going to remove the pixelated scary lady. (maybe)

I can't even begin to think that someone considers this too mean-spirited here of all places.  Never, never did I think, especially a long-standing member. Perhaps you're a creator and are sensitive but I'd think that being called a tard would make a person feel pretty bad!
Not much worse than a joke about a scary sim.  
I know there are lots of cats that are snickering behind their computer screens but who will not dare speak up for what is truly fugly. *cough*

« Last Edit: 2009 June 16, 07:50:19 by OpiumGirl » Logged
Fubuki
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 June 16, 07:49:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I may be wrong, but I don't think she was calling you mean-spirited, OpiumGirl. She said it reminds her of mean-spirited, shallow people in real life. I think I know where she's coming from.

It seems to me that we judge females more harshly than males when it comes to physical appearance, and we're so conditioned to it that we don't even notice this glaring double standard. People continue to point out "fugly" girls and women in TS3, but so far I have yet to see one person complain about the looks of the guys. It reminds me of high school when everyone seemed to think that ugly was the worst possible insult you could throw at a girl; apparently, I was the only one who thought that stupid and boring were far worse.

Even in a virtual world, women are under constant visual scrutiny. I find that just a little unsettling.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 16, 13:36:18 by Fubuki » Logged
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 June 16, 07:58:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I promise you, I already have seen about ten fuglified male sims in a few days of seeking out Sims 3 dls. I could re-find and post, though I think it's best to leave that one alone..I request, humbly that you take my word for it. It was the order of my creation that caused it to rest on the poor lady. 
But, I am not discrediting what you've said about women having to meet a much higher standard in real life.  It is absolutely true.
Blech
Garrulous Gimp

Moar Stanky Than You

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009 June 16, 09:30:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

People keep pointing out "fugly" girls and women in TS3, but so far I haven't seen one person complain about the looks of the guys.

By the third generation of my game, the males at my teen female's high school were so OMFG FUgly, I changed her whole story and made her a lesbo.

Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Evil is profitable only when everyone is not evil.
Moar words of wisdom from our wise and bearded Fearless Leader.
dorquemada
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009 June 16, 10:27:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know how you people even tell ugly from pretty in TS3, because they all fucking look the same. Some of the default families do have a few distinctive specimen, and yet, adult Mortimer Goth looks a lot like that bitchy kid-hating guy who lives in the posh mansion on the seaside.  It's really hard to breed the bastards when a daughter is almost exact copy of a mother.
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: 2009 June 16, 11:25:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not seeing the same-ness. Maybe in the pre-mades, but born in game sims look different enough to me. For example, here's a set of triplets shortly after becoming teens:

The middle one most closely resembles the made-in-CAS father, so any oddness there is not the game's fault, exactly. (Though that blasted smiling made the mouth rather difficult.)

crunk
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009 June 16, 11:57:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are outside links to pics allowed?  I can't locate anything against it. Many may hate me for this...but, let's just have a laugh!
*cut hotlinked pic*

Please upload that to photobucket/tinypic/wherever rather than hotlinking MTS... you do realize that hotlinking is generally considered to be both very rude and actually IS bandwidth theft, right?

Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 June 16, 12:55:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy!! I didn't know if I shouild be offended by the whole Korean statement.  My gut feeling was "yes", but "tard" may work depending on whether or not that's a politically correct statement by itself.

I don't understand how you can be a member of this site since 2006 and yet not understand the MATY use of the word tard, but evidently, you need to lurk moar. Xenophobic tards have no place here.

The "Before" looks more natural, whereas the "After" looks like she had little tweaks done by a Korean plastic surgeon.

You didn't know if you should be offended by this statement, which means you weren't offended, but rather asked yourself if being offended was the politically correct thing to do.

Would you have continued to be ambivalent if unfunny12 had used your race or country of origin instead of Korean? What if he had said Afro-American plastic surgeon? Would your politically correct conscious then tell you that you should be offended?

Unfunny12 could have easily said "poorly trained plastic surgeon" but instead chose to use wording specifically crafted to disparage a large group of people.

I'm not trying to pick on you, OpiumGirl. No one else in this thread seems to be concerned that two sovereign states and an entire race were denigrated, so I guess it's OK to demean anyone that happens to reside in Onebiglumpistan. That is, until someone with authority tells us that it is politically incorrect, at which point we should modify our behavior and pretend that was our stance all along. Because there are neither rights nor wrongs, just political correctness, and thinking for ourselves is just too much of a hassle.

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
VacantBlue
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 June 16, 14:26:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I understand that in real life, certain traits don't translate well between sexes but, something just seems so off.  Look at the jaw and tiny nose on the woman.  It's just wrong. Everything just looks wrong. The fellow has a very normal jaw, even a little wider on the scale and yet, she shows up like this. 
Is there something wrong in the transition, bug-wise?

I agree that the jaw did not translate well to the female clone.  It should have been more square.  I also don't know where she got that brow.  He does not appear to have that huge, silly clown-like arch in the eyebrow. On the other hand, I think that the nose translated very well to the female version.  The male's nose is a bit high on the face which actually suits him well.  However, with the female shrunken nose, the distance is too enlarged and the nose appears way too high.  It almost appears as if she smells some foul odor.

Your tweaked female looks much more like the sister of the male Sim than the clone to me.  I don't think beauty has anything to do with it - the clone simply appears to have an odd combination of features not are necessarily ugly, but they are odd.  The features for the tweaked female simply are more in tune with one another and she looks much more like a sibling to the male. 

It's probably not a bug.  Just stupid EA.  I think TS2 did a very similar thing to the female/male version of the faces.  It has never made a whole lot of sense to me.
GnatGoSplat
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009 June 16, 15:30:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can't tell you how much I agree with this.  I know that these are not real people we are judging, but it still seems sad to me that our society focuses so much on superficial details.  Some of these Sims may not be perfect but I honestly think people are getting a little bit out of hand with their criticisms.  I have found in general that the Sims we have in TS3 are pretty good looking.  Were people expecting every randomly generated CAS Sim to look like a super model or something?

When most people in real life are more attractive than the Sims, I'd have to say the criticisms are deserved.  I would have expected at least some of the characters in an idealized game world to be attractive, but I didn't find that to be the case at all.

Quote from: Fubuki
It seems to me that we judge females more harshly than males when it comes to physical appearance, and we're so conditioned to it that we don't even notice this glaring double standard. People continue to point out "fugly" girls and women in TS3, but so far I have yet to see one person complain about the looks of the guys. It reminds me of high school when everyone seemed to think that ugly was the worst possible insult you could throw at a girl; apparently, I was the only one who thought that stupid and boring were far worse.

When it comes to physical attractiveness, double-standards are definitely obvious.  Like it or not, they'll always be around because there are psychological and biological forces driving them.
Actually, many of the Sims 3 guys actually look okay to me.  There are a few uggos of course, but I've found many that don't look too bad.  I think this is part of the reason most of the females look so ugly.  Where in Sims 2 there were drastic differences in facial structure between male and female (even the head size/shape differed), in Sims 3 these differences don't seem as pronounced.  The pre-made faces tend to lean towards more masculine features, like wide jaws and large chins which looks okay on males but makes females less feminine and therefore less attractive.
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009 June 16, 15:47:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to agree that a lot of the males haven't turned out too bad (not great, but not horrific). But as for the females... Bar one or two that looked okay, the majority of them are hideous as they tend to suffer more from puddingface and masculine features. Elders look pretty bad as well, as the game seems to automatically give them extreme pudding faces regardless of what they looked like before. My sim, who I thought looked decent enough to not make me vomit, now looks vomitworthy as an elder because of this.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009 June 16, 17:05:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I may be wrong, but I don't think she was calling you mean-spirited, OpiumGirl. She said it reminds her of mean-spirited, shallow people in real life. I think I know where she's coming from.
Actually, I think she is, but I'm not really in the mood for a fight today.

I can bitch and poke with the best of them, but that is all done according to the target's personality, not their genetics. You can't control genetics. You can control how you act/think/relate. Judging people by their genetics has always seemed rather petty to me.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
falln_angel
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009 June 16, 18:11:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not going to weigh in on whether or not any of these Sims is attractive since the whole "Do you think my Sim is hawt?" thing completely put me off. Beauty is so subjective that my personal opinion is, or should be, meaningless to anyone but me. (Besides which, I think Patrick Stewart is one of the sexiest men alive which probably disqualifies me as a judge of physical attractiveness.)

That said, I personally prefer the second female Sim, not because the first one isn't pretty, but because she's too generic. She looks basically the same as every other 'pretty' female TS3 Sim I've seen. This is the biggest problem with the game's genetics/traits system in my opinion. There was clearly a fair bit of work put into making the original male look distinctive, not a small feat in a game where most of the characters look like they share at least one parent, and to see these features all but vanish in the female version of the Sim pretty much sucks. I'd definitely be disappointed if I'd worked on a unique-looking male Sim, only to find that it's impossible for him to visibly pass on those genetics to his female offspring. Where did his jawline go? And more to the point, what does the male version of the second female look like? I'm picture a grossly exaggerated jaw, not unlike the one one this poor bastard.

To be fair, though, this problem exists in TS2 as well. I've lost track of how many times one of my CAS females has surprised my by spawning a male child with a huge schnozz or Neanderthal brow ridge that clearly did not come from the father. Further experimentation in CAS reveals that several of the more subdued or natural female features have an unrelated and sometimes grotesque male counterpart. I like this, as it adds some variety to the game, but I can understand it upsetting some players.

Judging people by their genetics has always seemed rather petty to me.

I thought we were judging Sims, not people? Sims don't have a personality beyond what the programming assigns to them, which doesn't leave much to judge them on besides looks/genetics.

It's people taking someone's judgement of their virtual doll personally that I find disturbing. I happen to like Blythe dolls. I think they're adorable. I own two. Nearly everyone I know thinks they're the sorriest excuse for a doll they've ever seen. I'm not going to take offence on the dolls' behalf, and I don't see any point in taking the criticism as a personal insult either. You don't like what I like? Great! That's what makes this world interesting.
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009 June 16, 18:38:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Making sims in TS3 is a process in learning for me. I am more interested in facial characteristics that pass from generation to generation, hopefully leaving pudding faces behind.

I like the "after" picture more because I want to see features, not round faces. Smaller jawlines are fine for a few sims in my game, but I would like more of the larger jaws and high/low cheekbones that will make them look different. I don't really care if they are unattractive, just want more than round faces.

What is up with the elders having heads bigger than their bodies? Now that looks unattractive to me.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009 June 16, 18:54:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like them both. The first one is actually not that bad looking, a different haircut would make a world of difference though. I am also an artist and have had classes.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009 June 16, 19:05:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(Besides which, I think Patrick Stewart is one of the sexiest men alive which probably disqualifies me as a judge of physical attractiveness.)

Lots of people think Patrick Stewart is hawt. When I was a 12 I didn't see the attraction, but now as a 30 I do.

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009 June 16, 19:09:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought we were judging Sims, not people? Sims don't have a personality beyond what the programming assigns to them, which doesn't leave much to judge them on besides looks/genetics.
Please try to keep up. I said that I find her comments in general sort of distasteful because it reminds me of judging real people by their looks, which is mean-spirited. The judging of the people, not the judging of the sims. She then commented on how she found that surprising of someone who has been here for a bit, since MATY is by nature mean-spirited. I was clarifying the difference between judging people by their genetics and judging people by their actions. Not sims.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009 June 16, 19:30:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please try to keep up. I said that I find her comments in general sort of distasteful because it reminds me of judging real people by their looks, which is mean-spirited. The judging of the people, not the judging of the sims. She then commented on how she found that surprising of someone who has been here for a bit, since MATY is by nature mean-spirited. I was clarifying the difference between judging people by their genetics and judging people by their actions. Not sims.

Quite so.  And at MATY we continuously judge people by their statements, their opinions, their grammar, and their reading comprehension.

Tribulatio proxima est
dramamine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009 June 16, 19:38:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lots of people think Patrick Stewart is hawt. When I was a 12 I didn't see the attraction, but now as a 30 I do.

When I was 10 watching Star Trek: The Next Generation I thought Patrick Stweart was hot. Cheesy

As an adult, I'm not attracted to aged bald men, but I still think he is still damn fine to look at. Which that leads back to the beauty/beholder crap. I find too many unattractive people (unattractive by societial standards) really interesting and pleasing to look at.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009 June 16, 21:07:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Judging Sims on their appearance is still judging people-shaped flat images on a computer screen, not actual human beings. Just because they look like peple does not mean they ARE people, or that someone's desire not to have "ugliness" in their personal game is somehow wrong or bad, or comparable to being sexist / sizeist / blindly accepting of the fashion industry / beauty industry / mass media's widely-promoted nearly impossible standards of beauty.

If you're cool with letting free-range Townie fug run amok in your 'hood, that's on you.
If you want to BURNINATE them all, that's also on you.

Let's try being a wee bit less F-ly over PIXELS.

Also, as was noted before, the puddings are bad, but Sandy Bruty (Gorilla Fishlips) in TS2 was FAR worse. The TS3 puddings mostly just look too much alike, which is mostly because we only have, like, 3-4 hairstyles that aren't completely horrific, and only 4-5 outfit shapes that don't make you want to throw up, and the default head size is FAT, 100% tapioca and FAIL.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
GnatGoSplat
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009 June 16, 21:14:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, as was noted before, the puddings are bad, but Sandy Bruty (Gorilla Fishlips) in TS2 was FAR worse.

The spikey-haired townie in University was worse than that.
One time I killed off every passing townie with cow plants and the game regenerated new townies, every 1 of 4 had that face.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: