More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 22:14:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  No chess match
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: No chess match  (Read 18069 times)
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
No chess match
« on: 2009 June 11, 08:52:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have played a couple characters to grandmasters before, but...

I have a child who's not getting the option to play a ranked chess match.  She has the wish.  She did Invite Over Next Ranked Chess Opponent, or IONRCO, so that now, the option is greyed out and says "you next chess opponent ... is already on this lot."  The opponent is here, and in fact this is the second day I've tried to play the match.  Clicking on the board does not give the third option to play a ranked match.  I can only practice, it seems.  My sim has not played a ranked match yet. The sim is a child with rank 4 logic.

I checked Prima in case children can't play ranked matches, but didn't see such a limit.  I tried buying a new table and moving it around, just incase the table was broken.

I use awesome mod.  Any tips?  Are there commands to maybe list her current chess skill level?  I dunno, any help is appreciated.

_____

I started a new town, new family.  Child played chess to logic 1.  Child went to call next chess opponent, but next opponent was member of household.  Still, child had no ranked match option.

Can anyone confirm that children cannot play ranked matches, please?

« Last Edit: 2009 June 11, 10:05:10 by McCrea » Logged
El Lectro
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Re: No chess match
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 11, 21:07:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have this problem as well.  It doesn't appear children can have ranked chess matches, although they can invite them over.  Mine even has the ltw to become a chess legend.  

Have you seen if their parents can challenge the ranked opponent to a match?  I tried, but it appears the option isn't available while the ranked opponent is having a practice match, so I'm not sure if the option is 100% borked.
Ayana
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 11, 23:02:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you try clicking on the chess opponent? The command might be there, instead of the board. Which is bass akwards, but hey, it's EAxis.
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 11, 23:19:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you try clicking on the chess opponent? The command might be there, instead of the board. Which is bass akwards, but hey, it's EAxis.

Yes, I tried.  I am chalking up my first bugfind.  WOOT1 RAWR or not, if bugs are bad.
Ayana
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 12, 01:59:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No competitive chess for my kids either. Which is stupid, because they roll the wants.
Pythia
Asinine Airhead

Just lurking

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 12, 12:50:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In typical EA stupid logic you have to 'Invite Inside' the opponent first to make them play a ranked match with you at home. Took me a few tries to work this out  Tongue

ETA: Reading comprehension FTW. Just realised that it's kids you're having trouble with. If Invite Inside doesn't help then yes, it's borked and yes they shouldn't be getting those wishes if they can't fulfil them
« Last Edit: 2009 June 12, 12:57:50 by Pythia » Logged
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 12, 13:06:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

YEah, as said, you have to invite the opponent inside. Or place the chessboard outside.

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 12, 14:31:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sim child got the wish satisfied by playing his mom, she is level 8. I wasn't looking or trying for the wish, as it came up while playing his mom. I think his mom is considered a ranking chess player.  I do send the child to the beach to play, often to play others. Don't know if this is the only way for him to play another ranking chess opponent.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 June 12, 17:04:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sim child got the wish satisfied by playing his mom, she is level 8.

Well, it does seem that you're the only one.  Are you sure your 'child' isn't rather a 'teen'?

My original case was taken care of right after she aged up.  No option for rated --> blow candles --> option for rated.

brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 June 12, 17:12:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope, still a child. Pop-up said he beat a rank chess match. Now I didn't save the wish, so really don't know if it was satisfied for sure, but the wish went away after playing his mom for 3 sim hours. I know, assuming...

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 June 13, 03:53:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, that confuses the hell out of me then  Angry  I wasn't confused when I thought is was always borke.  Thanks for the feedback, Brown, but I'd obviously like you better if you agreed with me.

I played 2 more childs today.  I still have not had one play a rated match before teen age.  Finally had one with the grandmaster lifetime wish, which didn't help any.  Also tried playing in the park, with no luck.

I checked without mods installed yesterday, still could not.

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 June 13, 07:20:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope, still a child. Pop-up said he beat a rank chess match. Now I didn't save the wish, so really don't know if it was satisfied for sure, but the wish went away after playing his mom for 3 sim hours. I know, assuming...

Just to clarify, as your posts are a little ambiguous:  Was the option to play a ranking match available when your child sim clicked on the chessboard?  That's the part people are having trouble with.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 June 13, 08:05:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry about that. I really wasn't paying much attention to the mom and boy playing chess, as I was focused on the father at the time. I would check each one's wishes and see if it can be satisfied easily or in the moment, then I would save them. I saw the boy wanted to play chess with a rank opponent (don't know the correct wording) but didn't save it. Mom had been beating him and after 3 sim hours of playing chess with mom, a pop-up came up saying he beat a ranked chess opponent. That was when I was sending the father home after his night on the town.

Now I am not sure if it satisfied his wish, cause it was gone by the time I checked. Hard to determine if he got the "fullfilled" moodlet cause he got one by gaining the logic skill. That I do know.

Hope that clears it up.

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 June 13, 08:20:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So you don't know for sure that your sim child had the option of "play <ranked player>" (or whatever the text is) as an option when you clicked on the chess board, as this was apparently autonomous behaviour.

That's the central issue.  Whether the wish was satisfied or whether it rolled away on its own in your game aren't the issue here.

It sure would suck if the only way to get a child to satisfy this wish was via the sims' autonomous action - i.e. putting them in a room with their opponent and a chessboard and nothing else to do, taking away the door, and waiting for them to decide to play a ranked match (not just play a game) of their own free will.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 13, 08:26:28 by Kyna » Logged

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 June 13, 08:28:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't realize that. I haven't played that lot in a while, been playing a new game. Maybe I can see if that is another among many useless wish in the game. I guess it was autonomous.

Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 June 13, 08:29:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I played 2 more childs today.

Children. The plural for child is children.

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day." - Dean Martin
<Pescado>   Because hey, sometimes you have fun, and sometimes fun has you.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 June 13, 08:56:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess it was autonomous.

You guess it was autonomous?  Surely you would know whether it was autonomous or not.

Either you told the sim to play a ranked match (non-autonomous behaviour), or you didn't tell them to play a ranked match and they chose to do so under free will (autonomous behaviour).

I'm getting frustrated here as your answers keep skirting around the issue.  I've asked you the same direct question several times now.  Could you please give a direct answer, not something vague and uninformative that starts with "I guess ..."
« Last Edit: 2009 June 13, 09:02:24 by Kyna » Logged

brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 June 13, 09:20:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wrote earlier that I didn't make them play a ranked match, it happened as they were playing. That's why I think it was autonomous. I don't know how to make it more clear.

vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 June 13, 12:53:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For what it is worth, I have had a child beat a number of ranked chess opponents without problems. As mentioned by cyperangel you have to invite the person inside (if that is where the chess set is) and then click on the chess board for it to work. If that still fails, try buying another chess set as maybe that one or the chairs with it got borked.
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 June 14, 04:21:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I played 2 more childs today.
Children. The plural for child is children.
Yes, I typed it to distriguish "The Sims 3 Child (TM)" from "The offsping of parents".  I am not talking about the toddler, teen, young adult, adult, or elder with parents.  I am talking the child as defined by EAxis, not as defined by English.

For what it is worth, I have had a child beat a number of ranked chess opponents without problems. As mentioned by cyperangel you have to invite the person inside (if that is where the chess set is) and then click on the chess board for it to work. If that still fails, try buying another chess set as maybe that one or the chairs with it got borked.

Christ.  Ok, "what it is worth" is nothing.  Your contribution to my problem has been TRY HARDER and U R DOIN IT RONG. We should be more correct and helpful with our posts, or at least entertaining.  I am most assuredly pissed off, not entertained.  Which is why I have waited a calming day before replying, since it's hard to proofread when I keep putting my head through my monitor.  We are at an impasse where I say it doesn't work, you say it does.  Let us attempt higher methods of conflict resolutions.

To which, my response is that I am not doing it wrong, and I will continuously try harder until we reach a consensus.  You cannot convice me that you are not the one doing it wrong when you state falsehoods and you cannot read (as clarified later).  Since you cannot read or state facts very well, I can only assume you may have yourself been doing it wrong, perhaps confusing a child for a teen, since such nuggest have already been mentioned.

To convince the audience I am not doing it wrong, I have considered videos.  My first video is not too great a success:  the viewer could hopefully see that I do not click "invite" or "greet" or anything before I click "challenge".  (So very easy to do, when the sim is not a child.)  I will not post the video and hope my word is good enough.  However, if I do need to produce it to give evidence that the following (STUPIDPOINT 1) is true, let me know.  Further more, I just corrupted my codecs so the lame-ass proof will not appear this hour, and hopefully isn't necessary.  I am simply "trying harder."

STUPIDPOINT 1:  You do not have to invite or greet the opponent to commence the rated match.  If, and only if, the opponent is on the lot, the [third] option to "Challenge Harry Donkey to a game of Chess" will appear on the chess table menu, and the rated match will commence unless the action queue is stomped by path-finding failure or what have you.

Along with that being wrong in the previous post, you also failed to read -- in the very first post -- that I had tried buying new chess sets, which yes, did include chairs.  All in all now, please keep in mind I've done this a couple dozen times under various circumstances, and I have never been able to have a child play a rated match.

please consider:
  • Child is younger than Teen.
  • Rated matches result in a message box that you have won [or loss] a rated match; Match results under the chess skill are not necessarily rated.
  • I speculated that wishes, traits, and other factors are probably irrelevant.

TEST 1:  I've had consistent (100% of at least 6) results with:
  • remove mods
  • start a new Sunset Valley game
  • select the child Mortimer Goth
  • "Visit Central Park"
  • "Call Sim / Invite Over Next Ranked Chess Opponent"
  • Jared Frio? "Yes"
  • Jared Frio and Connor Frio will arrive via light blue pickup.
  • click chess table: "Challenge" does not exist == FAILURE

If anyone can slightly adjust those step to produce SUCCESS, please convince me.

Trivial followup steps suggesting it is only an age problem:
  • Greet or Introduce so he might not leave while aging. (irrelevant, however)
  • Buy cake
  • Blow candles
  • Wait to be teen
  • Click table "Challenge Jared Frio to a game of Chess" == SUCCESS
Best effect when when opponent doesn't leave.  No Challenge Possible -- Blow Candles -- Challenge Suddenly Possible.  But of course that's just me.  And the first guy that replied. Everybody else got the bug free version, I reckon.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 June 14, 04:38:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

McCrea, I feel your frustration.  I have the same issue. 

In my game (legit version installed over the RELOADED version): If the sim is a child, the option is not available on the chessboard.  Period.  It doesn't matter whether the chessboard is inside, outside or on a comm lot, and it doesn't matter whether the opponent has been greeted or not, has been invited in or not, or is a household member.

This is why I got so frustrated with Brownlustgirl with her ambiguous remarks along the lines of "I guess it was autonomous ..." and "I think it was autonomous ..." instead of stating clearly "this was autonomous behaviour".  It turns out that the behaviour in her game was autonomous, so she can't tell us whether the option was there when she clicked on the chessboard with the child selected (since she didn't click on the chessboard).  Also, we really didn't need the red herrings she dragged through this thread about wishes maybe being satisfied or maybe they rolled away, when wishes have almost nothing to do with the central issue of this thread.

Czezechael
Blathering Buffoon

in my mouf...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 June 14, 05:04:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't imagine that they would allow children to play ranked chess matches, considering the Activity Ghetto that is younger sim age.

I'd actually like to corroborate with the statements that you must invite the ranked opponent in prior to challenging them, cos it's been like that with all my my adult chess players, but you've done that already.

I've never tested it with children, I've just always assumed it was unavailable.  I'll have to check, I'm in the retail from RLD boat, too.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 14, 05:38:30 by Czezechael » Logged
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 June 14, 05:26:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least my frustration was productive.  I did get some new codecs reinstalled, and started learning our SIMS camera (still have to learn youtube tho).

McCrea, I feel your frustration.  I have the same issue. 

Yep, great,  I feel much better with your veteran support.  That's 3 confirmations, I guess it's PROVEN,  lol.   Smiley  You understand I couldn't just leave the thread with an questionable "works for me!" post, because it's broken. 

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 June 14, 05:59:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If anyone else wants to join the "it works for me in my game, so you must be doing it wrong" group, please supply proof in the form of a pic.  Your pic would need to show the simology tab, so that we can see it's definitely a child that is currently selected, as well as (obviously) the option on the chessboard to play the ranked opponent.

Zucabr
Furry
Asinine Airhead

I/ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 June 14, 06:14:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the XML file S3_03B33DDF_00000000_506A9A7E2BB5930C_PlayChessWith_ChessTable%%+UNKN it says:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<base>
<Interaction name="Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.HobbiesSkills.ChessTable+PlayChessWith+Definition" />
<Object name="Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.HobbiesSkills.ChessTable" />
<Current_Tuning>
<Disallow DisallowAutonomous="True" DisallowUserDirected="False" DisallowPlayerSim="False" />
<BaseAvailability>
<Age Children="True" Adults="True" Toddlers="False" Teens="True" Elders="True" />
So Children can Play Chess... but!
In S3_03B33DDF_00000000_CC9223D663E67120_ChallengeSimToGameOfChess_ChessTable%%+UNKN it says:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<base>
<Interaction name="Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.HobbiesSkills.ChessTable+ChallengeSimToGameOfChess+Definition" />
<Object name="Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.HobbiesSkills.ChessTable" />
<Current_Tuning>
<Disallow DisallowAutonomous="True" DisallowUserDirected="False" DisallowPlayerSim="False" />
<BaseAvailability>
<Age Children="False" Adults="True" Toddlers="False" Teens="True" Elders="True" />
Which means that Children cannot Challenge <Sim> To A Game of Chess.
I've attached a package file. If anyone is interested, could they test it out to see if it indeed enables Children to Challenge a Sim? Possible side effects include the game not recognizing it as a sanctioned ranked chess match, or animation distortions.

* AllowChildToChallenge.rar (1.01 KB - downloaded 249 times.)
« Last Edit: 2009 June 14, 07:09:38 by Zucabr » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: