More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 07:00:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Objects I miss
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Objects I miss  (Read 97099 times)
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Objects I miss
« Reply #75 on: 2009 June 13, 20:14:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

***Thou do not have the right to complain about what has not been present in The Sims 2 base game***

Says who?  TS2 base was 5 years ago, and for many players, many, many dollars ago.  Where's this rule that says we have to accept being given as little as possible in the base game just so they can milk more money out of releasing the same recycled EPs?  How about they start giving us more value in the base game and concentrating on actually delivering new, interesting content for the game they've promised would be such a remarkable evolution from TS2?  I don't feel like spending 20-30 bucks on an EP just to get the same exact shit we got in Nightlife or University, etc.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
tyleetwen
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2009 June 13, 20:17:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I'm missing more than anything else wasn't a maxis object, but the toddler floor blanket. I hate having to pull someone away from what they're doing just to put the dang things to bed, and I mostly just end up cheating their energy back up.

Also, spiral staircases. I know they weren't in base game, but they've been making em since Unleashed, I'd think they'd have the hang of it by now. I've been playing George Dean in his refurbished firehouse in Riverview, And I wanted to turn the tower part into a multilevel playroom. Too bad there's no spiral stairs and the regular ones won't fit.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2009 June 13, 20:20:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

***Thou do not have the right to complain about what has not been present in The Sims 2 base game***

Says who?  TS2 base was 5 years ago, and for many players, many, many dollars ago.  Where's this rule that says we have to accept being given as little as possible in the base game just so they can milk more money out of releasing the same recycled EPs?  How about they start giving us more value in the base game and concentrating on actually delivering new, interesting content for the game they've promised would be such a remarkable evolution from TS2?  I don't feel like spending 20-30 bucks on an EP just to get the same exact shit we got in Nightlife or University, etc.

Actually, I kind of wonder this too. I remember somewhere in another thread, I was complaining about missing the shiftable paintings option from TS2 (which I still do, btw!), to which someone replied that we didn't get that until AL. This seems like incredibly odd reasoning to me-- if we had to wait for the objects or features in TS2, shouldn't they be available sooner in TS3? We already waited 4+ years for it the first time.

I sing along with elevator music.
Plum
Juvenile Jackass

WTF is she on about now?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: 2009 June 13, 20:38:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is the most depressing thread ever. I miss everything everyone has mentioned, and am now in a state of infinite sadness. Or something.

I want more paintings and I want them shiftable dammit!! I don't understand why bastard EA would refuse to let paintings be shiftable in the basegame. That's just assholery right there.

Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2009 June 13, 20:50:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's important to keep in mind that game development costs money.  If TS3 included everything from TS2 and the expansions, it would have cost as much to develop as all of the above.  Well, perhaps a bit less, but it's fairly obvious that the engine had enough of a re-write that code re-use was problematic.

As it is, the game included a fair number of key elements from the TS2 expansions if not all the chrome.  My complaint was more in the way of really basic stuff that somehow got omitted this time around, even as they stuffed in lots of new features.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
MaryZg
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2009 June 15, 19:15:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I missed everything - from the coffeemaker to the bowling alley. I even missed Komei Tellerman and Goopy GilsCarbo! They suddenly appeared appealing and attractive to me, compared to these fugly faces! Missed? Yes - I don't miss it anymore - I play TS2 again, never stopped.
Fortunately, I got the pirated version of TS3 - wanted to test it out, to see what's the big deal. So at least I had the sense not to run out and buy the thing.

While I see the point Gus is making - it takes time and money - I can't think of a reason I would now even consider playing this game when there's perfectly good game on my hard drive already installed, over which I have total control and which satisfies me greatly with both its original and custom contents. And a corporation like EA has money and resources, they are just not giving it for this. They want to suck out some more money, as someone else said here, for the same stuff. FUCK THAT!

So I guess I'll CONSIDER buying it after a couple of years, when all the stuff is back in again, and ONLY if the community comes up with the way to mod it similarly as TS2. 

The only thing better in TS3 are the loading times. Actually, TS3 tought me to appreciate TS2 better. And for that I thank EAxis. Not even the loading times of TS2 bug me now - at the end of that rainbow awaits my hood, replete with gameplay I enjoy and control.
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2009 June 15, 20:02:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's important to keep in mind that game development costs money. 

Sadly, I think that a significant portion of that money is going into Humble's pocket. 

While I can see not including everything from all expansions, or even lots of things from the expansions, there are some omissions in this game that just baffle me.

I fear that they are more interested in Sims 3 base being a platform for profits from the Store than anything else.  I envision expansions to this game where, for the $39.99 purchase price, you get the big honor of being able to purchase from exclusive areas in the Store.

Danger: Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard, 4th Level
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2009 June 15, 20:04:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I even missed Komei Tellerman and Goopy GilsCarbo! They suddenly appeared appealing and attractive to me, compared to these fugly faces!
I have to agree. As ugly as they were, they had a personality about them. They were unique, and recognisable. But I just don't recognise sims in this game. They all look the same, and it's so hard to tell them apart unless they are seriously deformed or something.

The only thing better in TS3 are the loading times. Actually, TS3 tought me to appreciate TS2 better. And for that I thank EAxis. Not even the loading times of TS2 bug me now - at the end of that rainbow awaits my hood, replete with gameplay I enjoy and control.
Heh, for me The Sims 2 runs flawlessly and has much faster loading times than The Sims 3, which is horrifically sluggish. So the argument that "The Sims 3 runs smoother and has less loading times than TS2" is a moot point to me.

And for expansions, I wouldn't be surprised to see them merely sell retail packs containing only gameplay enhancements and a few critical objects, with everything else having to be bought from the store.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2009 June 15, 20:20:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was deathly afraid that hideous townies were going to make the game unplayable for me.  I went to great lengths to correct this in TS2, what with replacing the face templates and sometimes completely replacing the default Townies because I was sick of Goopy and company.  And you know, I feel exactly the opposite of how you do about TS3's faces.  Yes, puddingface is a problem, but the worst puddingfaces are acceptable, versus the hideous gorilla-fish hybrids that TS2 regularly generated.

I can't go back to TS2 after playing TS3.  The vastly improved Want system, the wealth of personality traits versus just 7 aspirations - one of which is a joke, and one (pleasure) that I find deadly dull - the entire neighborhood as one seamless lot, the ultra-powerful recoloring tools, even the way the entire neighborhood ages.  There's stuff missing that shouldn't be, and I'll continue to bitch about that.  But I just can't go back.

Sadly, I think that a significant portion of that money is going into Humble's pocket.
It doesn't work like that.  Design leads don't get profit sharing at the project level at EA.  At most, they get to participate in the Employee Stock Purchase Program, which is sort-of like free stock options - you pay the cheaper of the price at the start or the end of the period.  So if the stock goes up, you can make a good bit of money, provided you set aside some of your salary for that.

If you're going to ascribe mercenary motives, target EA management, not the development team.

I envision expansions to this game where, for the $39.99 purchase price, you get the big honor of being able to purchase from exclusive areas in the Store.

I was put off by the Store at first as well, but then I realized it was pretty much the same as the TS2 "Stuff" packages.  None of which I bought.

- Gus

Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2009 June 15, 21:26:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I believe that even the stuff packs were a better deal than the store, if you can believe that. Estimates for everything in the store are somewhere around the $275 range, from what I've read here and at GOS. The stuff packs were about $20 each where I live, and you got 1-2 object sets and a handful of clothes. Even though the store has more stuff, it's definitely NOT almost $300 worth of stuff.

Fake edit: Here we go! Google is my friend.

I sing along with elevator music.
Nerzhal
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2009 June 16, 00:39:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really do miss the Servo.  Cry Ahhh, good old times, when you could just do whatever you wa... Oh wait.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2009 June 16, 01:05:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really do miss the Servo.  Cry Ahhh, good old times, when you could just do whatever you wa... Oh wait.

Servo?  The servo was never a decent replacement for the TS1 robot.  I still miss the TS1 robot.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2009 June 16, 01:46:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't work like that.  Design leads don't get profit sharing at the project level at EA.  At most, they get to participate in the Employee Stock Purchase Program, which is sort-of like free stock options - you pay the cheaper of the price at the start or the end of the period.  So if the stock goes up, you can make a good bit of money, provided you set aside some of your salary for that.

If you're going to ascribe mercenary motives, target EA management, not the development team.

Mr Humble is EA management. 

Danger: Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard, 4th Level
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2009 June 16, 03:28:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I stand corrected.  I rather assumed that the way his name is bandied about, that he was the team lead.  Apparently, he's "VP in charge of the Sims division."  That's something else entirely.  In my experience, people that far removed from actual development don't do much.  Beyond annoy the development team, of course.  Touting a VP or an executive producer in connection with the title rather than the real lead designer is a typical PR department move.

I was curious who the actual team was, and that doesn't seem to be readily available information.  I guess EA is more interested in The Sims 3 being an "EA Game' rather than a "Will Wright game."

- Gus

Nerzhal
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2009 June 16, 11:33:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really do miss the Servo.  Cry Ahhh, good old times, when you could just do whatever you wa... Oh wait.

Servo?  The servo was never a decent replacement for the TS1 robot.  I still miss the TS1 robot.

Wasn't this robot called Servo? I thought it'd be called like that.

nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: 2009 June 16, 12:20:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This. I want a robot that behaves like a robot and does the chores and doesn't count as a family member. Ts2 servos were bad and broke too damn often.
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2009 June 18, 17:30:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This. I want a robot that behaves like a robot and does the chores and doesn't count as a family member. Ts2 servos were bad and broke too damn often.

They did to Servo in TS2 what they did to ghosts in TS3 - gave them personalities.

I don't want collections of microchips walking about like demented Chobits persocoms in much the same way as I don't want ghosts going around acting all friendly. I miss the TS1 servo - it did what it was told and didn't answer back!

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: 2009 June 18, 17:43:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't mind the ghosts with personalities. I just wish they haunted better. They're kind of getting there.

What EXP did servo come out with? OFB? I wonder if they will be released with the L&P business exp people are spreading.
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2009 June 18, 18:01:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently there's a gold plated Servo in one of the rabbit hole windows (the science building I think).
blyndgesser
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2009 June 19, 03:54:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Snapdragons from OfB.
bloodredtoe
Corpulent Cretin

Less awesome than some of you

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2009 June 19, 15:12:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's all hugely marketing. I remember talking to a guy who designed and animated 3D figures. He said it's would be quite easy to create a system allowing each player to create custom hairstyles in the sims. EA won't ever introduce that, though, since if they did, they wouldn't be able to mooch money from hairstyles in sim store.

Stick the guitar in the sim's inventory then only that sim can use it, and they will be able to use it under free will.  This is how you can avoid TS2-style flypaper-instruments.
Yeah, but they also like to use it all the time, also at 3AM in a room where everyone is sleeping:(
I agree with all people who mentioned there should be more musical instruments and the skill hold name "music" or something of that kind.

And I really, really miss the ability to customize lot sizes. About half the lots in Sunset Valley are far bigger than I like to build on. I want compact, dense residential areas, not sprawling McMansions and suburban horrors.
I kinda took it for granted that I'd be able to shape the city to my will, like I could in SimCity games. But poop. I can't even place lots where I like. We're back to the sims 1.

I also really miss NL-style chemistry and dating. Right now it feels like there's no reason to have a Sim choose any other Sim in particular for a match-up, other than "My biological clock is ticking, I need a mate NOW, and you're standing in front of me." Sims are not turned on or turned off by other personality traits, they don't care about hair color; I haven't played a Snob Sim or one with a LTW related to money, but I somewhat doubt those Sims will really care much about the financial status of romantic possibilities, either. Love is simply a vending machine in TS3.
Oh yeah. I'd also love to see sims completely love-dazzed and ready to completely change their appearance, just so they seem attractive to the chosen one. Oh, and I wish I could play match-maker - you know, make some neighbors meet and try to get them hooked together:D It could've been hilarious.

I know it's not an object, but I miss LOTFULLOFSIMS the most right now. 6 screaming larvae isn't enough for me! I can fit in at least 22 more before the first one toddlers up! Someone make this possible, please!
I've been searching for that. You can't even marry off a sim with household full and if you move them out, they will never marry their partner or produce a child the natural way. I know I could handle 12 buggers under one roof.

I'm actually surprised there aren't any shelves, I just end up holding all collectibles in inventories or selling them off, because the aligning on drawers/tables is somehow borked.
The next in line I miss are hot tub and wedding arch. Big aquarium for fishies and something like that for bugs, too (or alternatively nailing them to a board on a wall >:})

I also kinda hope some forgotten items from sims1 will be recycled someday, eg. the lab or the cool brick oven in which you could make bread... (I hope for an EP as good as MM for sims 3, witches in AL really sucked).

I'm wondering when EA finally decides to add bunk beds. It'd unbelievable there aren't any so far:(

From interactions - they're rather good, though could be better - eg. it's kinda dull you can't interact with neighbors' kids they're carrying around. Or I got a situation in which my sim was visiting her neighbor, they were watching TV and the set broke down. My sim had "good" trait and 9 in mechanics, so I made her fix it, the neighbors found it inappropriate. There should be an option "offer repair", because I believe it's what a good person knowing something about repairs would do in such situation.
simmilk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2009 June 22, 13:33:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I miss spiral staircases.   Undecided
Leticron
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2009 June 22, 14:38:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A big aquarium dammit! I refuse to keep 13 fishbowls in my house. I want one big one with room for 10-15 types of fish. Then you'd look more like a fish enthusiast and less like some crazy fish hoarder.
Same here...much more annoying to me: Fish stay perfectly fine 6 Month+ in a fridge but they die in a fishbowl if not fed within 24hrs.

Even though realism is not a goal in Sims since you can put saltwater and freshwater types together in one pond (hell even my pool has the fish option  Cheesy).
Reasonably well fed fish can easily survive a 2 week lent period.
So I would like to be able to set the feeding minima to about once a week or so and .
I still hope that bigger fish tanks will be popping up at the store eventually.

-le

Edit: OK, one problem solved:I just found CyberOps No Dead Fish for 365 days  which keeps the fish alive as long as you feed it once a year  Grin Grin

« Last Edit: 2009 June 24, 12:49:28 by Leticron » Logged
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2009 June 22, 14:40:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I miss spiral staircases.   Undecided

Me too  Embarrassed

marjchaos
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2009 June 22, 17:14:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I miss most of what people have mentioned as well.  I really miss attraction/dating though.  The romance bit seems a bit boring.  Connected to that I miss ACR (which I know is TwoJeffs, not EA).  I hate micromanaging my sims love lives.  It does seem odd that you have to go through the whole dating rigamarole to kiss your spouse.  Also, I'm the only one I'm sure, but I miss pets.  I'm the one who actually liked that expansion. 
Someone pointed out how annoying it is that sims can't play guitar til' they are teens.  Why can't child sims garden?  As a kid, weekend weeding was a normal part of my chores.  I said I would use hacks and stuff for awhile, but I already have awesome mod, default skins textures, and default eye textures.  Still, I am finding it just as addictive as I found first Sims 1, then Sims 2.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: