More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 06:21:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Objects I miss
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Objects I miss  (Read 96266 times)
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Objects I miss
« Reply #25 on: 2009 June 10, 22:56:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I miss the pool table (billiards).

I miss drums.  Kids can play drums.  Drums are in orchestras.  Can no longer sim Jack and Meg. (We've got money and a little place to fight now).  I'm shocked they killed off the other instruments, except that it's obviously a money making opportunity for EA, particullarly when they can just reuse the recorded bits from TS2.  I had felt the instruments from TS2 were the most impressive part of the game.  yep, Plenty of room for a 'Music' EP in TS3. $30 please.

Optional Cell phones!  One thing that drives me crazy is when my sims out on the town and they keep getting harassed by callers.

Turn off ringer?  I don't know if that stops the sound wave tho.
daisywenham
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009 June 10, 23:43:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose we should be grateful that the guitar isn't the flypaper that the older musical instruments were.  I stopped buying most of them in TS2 because guests would beeline for them and then play until they got too tired, hungry, or had to pee, and leave.

- Gus

I beg to differ.  My sims flock to the guitars I buy, especially when their career or LTW has nothing to do with it.  I'm constantly having to chase someone off the guitar so my musicians can skill for promotions. Tongue
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009 June 10, 23:50:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not an object, but I miss the old romance animations. The TS3 "kiss" animation is essentially a tiny peck, and the "make out" animation is just a series of pecks that lasts for about 15 seconds. The TS2 animations were over the top but at least they conveyed emotion. And there were some really sweet animations like the slow dance, etc. Romance in the TS3 is so dry and boring. I used to love pairing sims up in TS2 but that's lost its appeal in TS3.

I also miss the cuteness of toddlers in TS2. The TS3 ones are dead eyed and creepy, and although it used to annoy the hell out of me when TS2 toddlers wandered everywhere I find it unsettling how TS3 toddlers can stay in one spot for hours and not go anywhere.

Also, not having a piano, or at least a violin, is stupid since classical musicians are highly unlikely to have gotten their start playing on a guitar. And the lack of any classical instruments is doubly stupid given that the game actually has a classical music career branch.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009 June 11, 00:32:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose we should be grateful that the guitar isn't the flypaper that the older musical instruments were.  I stopped buying most of them in TS2 because guests would beeline for them and then play until they got too tired, hungry, or had to pee, and leave.

- Gus

I beg to differ.  My sims flock to the guitars I buy, especially when their career or LTW has nothing to do with it.  I'm constantly having to chase someone off the guitar so my musicians can skill for promotions. Tongue

Stick the guitar in the sim's inventory then only that sim can use it, and they will be able to use it under free will.  This is how you can avoid TS2-style flypaper-instruments.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
JediMaster
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009 June 11, 01:42:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stick the guitar in the sim's inventory then only that sim can use it, and they will be able to use it under free will.  This is how you can avoid TS2-style flypaper-instruments.

Agreed, that is what I have to do as well. 
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 June 11, 02:02:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Agreed, that is what I have to do as well. 

"Have to do"?  You make it sound like a chore or hardship.

I think it's one of the plusses of TS3, that I can click on the sim's inventory and have them start playing guitar wherever they are, whether at home, at a comm lot, or visiting a friend. Not to mention that I know the guitar isn't being used by some random sim when I want a particular sim to use it.

Not sure if it was worth giving up pianos (and 6's music skilling) for, but I love the feature.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 June 11, 03:58:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Optional Cell phones!  One thing that drives me crazy is when my sims out on the town and they keep getting harassed by callers.

Turn off ringer?  I don't know if that stops the sound wave tho.

If you only turn off the cell-phone ringer, the sim still gets the sound waves.  If you turn off the Main phone in the house, then no more sound waves.  And my sims still get those random opportunity pop's, without having to stop what they're doing to answer the phone.

Larva and Toddlers are no longer interesting to me.  I totally enjoyed having spawn and sproglets in TS2, but for TS3, it's a chore in order to get to the interesting stages.

I also miss genetics that actually produced something interesting to look forward too.  Now each generation is the same as the last generation, because they all look the same.  I've got one line of males that spans 6 generations and they all look exactly the same.  EAxis went and gave the "First-Born" effect a whole new meaning.

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
Czezechael
Blathering Buffoon

in my mouf...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009 June 11, 05:08:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not an object, but I miss the old romance animations. The TS3 "kiss" animation is essentially a tiny peck, and the "make out" animation is just a series of pecks that lasts for about 15 seconds. The TS2 animations were over the top but at least they conveyed emotion. And there were some really sweet animations like the slow dance, etc. Romance in the TS3 is so dry and boring. I used to love pairing sims up in TS2 but that's lost its appeal in TS3.

This and the complaint about genetics, also the new WooHoo icon, which honestly looks like an irradiated mutant cartoon heart, melting and crying from the pain of it all.  Also the new baby model.  I have never seen a larvoid baby in my entire life, save for maybe in a hospital.  You do not take them home and continue to enlarvanate them.

Fie on the "scale up" system of social interactions, maybe I'm tactless or something, but I don't have to make stupid faces before I can tell jokes, my partner and I don't have to flirt before we kiss, it's just another stupid time-eating aspect of the game.  I miss not having this stupid system.
Ezura
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009 June 11, 07:46:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also miss the cuteness of toddlers in TS2. The TS3 ones are dead eyed and creepy, and although it used to annoy the hell out of me when TS2 toddlers wandered everywhere I find it unsettling how TS3 toddlers can stay in one spot for hours and not go anywhere.

Also, not having a piano, or at least a violin, is stupid since classical musicians are highly unlikely to have gotten their start playing on a guitar. And the lack of any classical instruments is doubly stupid given that the game actually has a classical music career branch.

I agree with everything you said here.

The "First kiss" looked like something very special in Sims 2, they made a very big deal out of it, the Sims 3 "First kiss" looks like 8 year old kids giving each other a kiss for the first time...
I loved in Sims 2 where they looked nervous to give their first kiss, puckering their lips and closing their eye... then realize they actually liked it!
That emotion isn't present in Sims 3.
Romance has also become so tedious when you have to get other Sims "in the mood", then they suddenly are in a bad mood and push you away like you are some kind of pervert.

Even though toddlers have 90% of their original animations, I think there's just something very wrong with their sounds.
When they play with a toy, they sometimes scream at the top of their lungs, which doesn't sounds like they are playing.
First time I heard it I would drop everything I did, because I thought the babysitter was abusing the kid.
I liked it better in Sims 2 where they were giggling, even if they giggled "loud", but it didn't sound like child abuse.
The same thing happens with adult interactions too, it sounds like you offended a person badly and they scream at you, yet they get plus points on their friendship bar.

I have high-functioning autism.
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009 June 11, 08:03:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...  I thought the babysitter was abusing the kid.

I knew something fundamental was missing from the game.  And the parents could stand around and cheer.

dorquemada
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009 June 11, 10:35:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I miss the green glow milk, because unjustifiably much more time has to be wasted on larvae now. The little buggers themselves, well, they were annoying in Sims 2, they are annoying and  has longer life stage in Sims 3.

Oh, and genetics. The main reason why I'm certainly back to 2 as soon as I beat 3 -- legacy style is not for me, it appears. Lemme go back to my breeder ways.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 11, 11:06:26 by dorquemada » Logged
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 June 11, 11:03:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1. Pianos
2. PIANOS
3. Shelves
4. - 10. FUCKING PIANOS !!1
11. Water plants*

* or am I blind? The Landgraabs *do* have water plants, but I've been unable to find them in build mode.

At least we have fountains and rugs - the lack thereof drove me mad in the TS2 base game.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 June 11, 11:24:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

11. Water plants*

* or am I blind? The Landgraabs *do* have water plants, but I've been unable to find them in build mode.

Water plants are just lumped in with regular plants.  I remember seeing cattails and possibly some water lilies.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009 June 11, 11:29:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Water plants are just lumped in with regular plants.  I remember seeing cattails and possibly some water lilies.

Hm... I was sure that I'd examined every single plant in all three categories (flowers, bushes, trees). Will look again, thanks.

ETA: Yes, found them. Thanks again, Roflganger Smiley
« Last Edit: 2009 June 11, 11:39:39 by sloppyhousewife » Logged

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009 June 11, 11:31:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just checked - cattails and lilies are under "shrubs". 

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
sirnh
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009 June 11, 11:32:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really miss Cooperative games, Shelves, Half-walls, cheap coffeemaker, genetics, Hot Tub, seasons, ...

Sims making food and then actually eat it (for some reason they create something to eat when they are hungry, but at the last minute they decide to do something more important then eating like... reading a book...)

I also hate how every baby seems to be born with cell phone in their hands. (Why can't cell phones just be optional...)

Lot's of custom clothes, make-up and hair...

"Today you'll see me crash and burn, but I'll be back tomorrow."
daisywenham
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009 June 11, 11:38:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stick the guitar in the sim's inventory then only that sim can use it, and they will be able to use it under free will.  This is how you can avoid TS2-style flypaper-instruments.

Yes, I know about sticking it in inventory.  The point is that they do in fact seem to have a disproportionate attraction to them.  The sims I have with guitars in their inventory tend to whip it out and start playing it every time I let them idle as well.

Sims making food and then actually eat it (for some reason they create something to eat when they are hungry, but at the last minute they decide to do something more important then eating like... reading a book...) 

I keep seeing people complaining about this and my sims have never done it that I've noticed, unless they're either not hungry or they've burnt it.   I like the fact that they don't automatically cram a plateful down their gullet regardless of how green their hunger bar is. 
« Last Edit: 2009 June 11, 11:44:31 by daisywenham » Logged
eaglezero
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009 June 11, 11:55:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This isn't an object, but I miss Physiology. My sims are so tired all the time now! Also, I dislike new coffee. The "buzzed" and "crash" things may be realistic but they are also ANNOYING.

I also miss some career and lifetime points rewards, like the edumacation bookshelf and the lie detector machine (it was lolworthy).

And, of course, the exaggerated facial expressions/movements the sims would make. I feel that Sims 3 sims are much more static than Sims 2 sims, which is taking away some of the delight.

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
- WC Fields
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2009 June 11, 12:56:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not a fan of the larval babies either. I liked their little flailing legs. Also, they're rather boring as you can't do anything with them, really. I mean, sure, I love that you can sit around on the couch watching tv while holding them now, but meh. Not even a danglemaster? Or will that come in an expansion pack? STOP NEGLECTING THE BABBYZ!

And what's the point of potty training toddlers if you still "change their diapers" after they are trained instead of bathing them?

The lack of instruments is incredible and sad. I would love a music related stuff pack, with TONS of new instruments. It would be nice to bring back the saxophone (it was there in TS1, but not playable), viomolin, bass, effing PIANO, drums, maybe even some bongos, tambourine, flute? Would it be too much to ask to be able to play more instruments? Tongue I just want something that children can play. Why can't they play the guitar? I had guitar lessons when I was a 6! Tongue

If you want to go with portable instruments, then a keyboard instead of a full piano would be cool. most of the rest of the instruments I suggested are fairly, if not completely, portable. Tongue

I'm with Zaza on the more board games front. More games in general. But no fucking myshuno, kthx.

It'd be nice if they could play/swim on the beach. I'm sure they'll open that later Tongue

I also wish there was a shelf with the tv where you could place the video game system. Because we all don't have our systems on the floor, do we? Tongue Mine are on the tv's lower shelf with the dvd player. Tongue

Beds need to be more powerful. It takes too long to sleep now. Tongue LESS SLEEPING DO WANT!

Quote from: ezura
Why EAxis thought that baby/toddlers only could fall asleep at near fainting when other Sims falls asleep anytime puzzles me.
Clearly, you've never experienced a real toddler. Wink They go until they drop, literally.

Fish tanks instead of bowls. It would be cool if you put the wrong kinds of fish together they'd eat each other. Tongue

Toddler table only being half functional is LAME.
Hitch
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009 June 11, 13:34:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The things i miss most are seasons and the hot tubs.  I always loved seeing it raining or snowing added some nice realism to the game that was sorely needed.  As for the hot tubs they were a great way to socialize.  Cram 4 people into one and let them bake for a couple hours.

I agree. Except Seasons killed the hot tubs... or made the hot tubs kill the sims.
daisywenham
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009 June 11, 13:47:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fish tanks instead of bowls. It would be cool if you put the wrong kinds of fish together they'd eat each other.

OMG THIS!  I was just thinking that the other day.  There is a ltw to have 13 perfect specimens of fish in bowls.  Right. Because I want every available tile in my home to contain a coffee table with several fishbowls on it.  I don't know if you have to have them all in separate bowls at once but it's the principle of the thing. Aquariums would add a whole new dimension to keeping fish.  You'd have to separate the salt water from the fresh water ones and make sure you were putting the right species together etc. 

Along with most people I think it's exceedingly lame that there is nothing you can do with metals and gems other than clutter your house or inventory with them.  Opening up functionality with xpacks is one thing but putting an item in the game that's essentially useless just looks like laziness.  Finish it or leave it out EA.  Angry
spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009 June 11, 13:51:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fish tanks instead of bowls. It would be cool if you put the wrong kinds of fish together they'd eat each other. Tongue

I really hate the fish bowl, I feel bad putting anything other than a minnow in it. I wish that they'd give the sims the ability to look at their fish again and not just feed them, isn't that the whole point of pet fish?

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin
mibsywibsy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009 June 11, 13:51:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess this is not so much a "miss" as a "why the fuck didn't they put that in to begin with", but a cheap freaking laptop would be nice. The ability to use items from inventory is really one of the best features about TS3, so why why why isn't there a cheap laptop option - like maybe equivalent to or slightly more expensive than the cheapest computer. It's doubly annoying given how badly hacking pays as a "career"; it's a fourth of their starter money if I want to have my Computer Whiz sims go hack in the park. A cheaper gaming console would be nice, too.

Whoever was talking about lack of social games was dead on. I really miss Myshuno, the dart board, the hand-held gaming system and especially the mp3 player from Uni - the "rocking out" animation was so great. Pretty much anything (especially anything cheap) that Sims could do together and build social/fun with is missing, except for chess. I suppose I can accept them not wanting to put in too many items from expacks, but there was so little in Uni anyway and they already gave us cellphone.

AVAST YE NERDS
Gimfalisette
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009 June 11, 15:45:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just played a pregnancy/baby/toddler for the first time last night, and I have to agree with everyone else that the ultra-larval babies are weird, at best. Pregnancy seems to have gotten some interesting changes, but babies now creep me out, instead of just being a timesuck.

This is not a missed object, but someone above mentioned objects being too attractive, like guitars--another one is the garden sprinkler. Every time a Sim is idle now, s/he wants to go play with that stupid sprinkler. This would make sense for kids or those with the Childish trait, but a Neat Sim just traipsing off to get messy in the sprinkler? I don't think so.

And I really, really miss the ability to customize lot sizes. About half the lots in Sunset Valley are far bigger than I like to build on. I want compact, dense residential areas, not sprawling McMansions and suburban horrors.
ZeKat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009 June 11, 16:03:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is not a missed object, but someone above mentioned objects being too attractive, like guitars--another one is the garden sprinkler. Every time a Sim is idle now, s/he wants to go play with that stupid sprinkler. This would make sense for kids or those with the Childish trait, but a Neat Sim just traipsing off to get messy in the sprinkler? I don't think so.

Seconded. I really want to stomp the autonomous playing with the sprinkler. I had a scientist with a nice garden + well-stocked pond, and he used to fish whenever he was idle, but now that he got a sprinkler, he spends hours in it. Strangely, his kids seemed to prefer reading pregnancy books when idle. They weren't even bookworms. And pregnancy books for 6s? Colour me confused.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: