More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 10:38:48

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  The whole thing is becoming a big pain in the $%%
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The whole thing is becoming a big pain in the $%%  (Read 19735 times)
LadyVatrovia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
The whole thing is becoming a big pain in the $%%
« on: 2009 June 10, 02:05:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want Riverview....but I don't want their blasted download manager.....it doesn't work anyway. Anyone know how to do that? I DO have a registered game
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
Re: The whole thing is becoming a big pain in the $%%
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 10, 03:08:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, for heaven's sake!  If you have a registered version, you just click on the "download new neighborhood" option on your registration confirmation email.  The download will use the launcher (yes, I know that's bad) and you can download and install Riverview that way.  I don't have the download manager installed either.

Tribulatio proxima est
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 10, 03:23:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you know, I downloaded Riverview and installed it...and near as I can tell down to the sims and the stores it's the same. The only difference is topographical details...so if you want another neighborhood just clone sunset valley if you're loathe to deal with the download manager.

I know, the anti-sucurom people go bananas, but I've never used my DVD player in this computer to do anything except for to install two games. I don't download and burn cds or dvds or anything of the sort. If I did, I'm sure I'd be as bananas about it as y'all are...in fact, maybe moreso.

sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 10, 03:44:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

that part I get. I don't want it there, nor like it there...we just aren't going into it tonight, okay?

Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 10, 04:16:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know, the anti-sucurom people go bananas, but I've never used my DVD player in this computer to do anything except for to install two games. I don't download and burn cds or dvds or anything of the sort. If I did, I'm sure I'd be as bananas about it as y'all are...in fact, maybe moreso.

Just as a word of warning, Securom doesn't just screw with the burning aspect of your drive, it can screw with the reading aspect of your drive(s) as well. My friend went through two different CD/DVD drives before she finally agreed to let me take Securom off of her computer. She hasn't had any problems since we got it taken off.

Do with that what you will, I suppose.

I sing along with elevator music.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 10, 06:52:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A lot of people use their DVD players to burn family photos on to DVDs so that they're not taking up room on their computer's HD or their camera's memory card.  It's not always about the piracy.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Chain_Reaction
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 10, 09:36:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you know, I downloaded Riverview and installed it...and near as I can tell down to the sims and the stores it's the same. The only difference is topographical details...so if you want another neighborhood just clone sunset valley if you're loathe to deal with the download manager.

No? The sims are all different. There's also several new buy mode objects and new rabbit holes that come with it. It's a lot better than Sunset Valley in my opinion.
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 10, 10:06:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Makes you wonder why they're actually giving it away for free.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 June 10, 13:16:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I noticed that.  The hospital, town hall, etc. all seem to be the same as in SV (with slightly different landscaping).  In fact, apart from the island, which is nice, SV is a superior hood (I'm very fond of the park/central square).  I think the inability to build a real custom hood is one of the main annoyances I have with TS3.

IIRC, the Launcher does not carry securom.  Securom does not seem to be a major them in the "Why you should hate the launcher" thread (although there are other reasons to hate it).  The launcher also seems to have managed to install Riverview without glitches in my game, which I gather is something of a surprise.  That said, I am not making a habit of using it and will be getting the multi-installer.  The real bother with TS3, in my view, is the Download Manager, which does sit in startup, constantly phones home, installs useless registry entries that fry your system performance, etc.

Tribulatio proxima est
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 June 10, 13:58:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Where is this multi-installer of which you speak?

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 June 10, 14:08:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I saw reference to it somewhere here.  *runs search again*

Okay, search shows that Delphi did one, but the Jfadetool (3viewer - http://forum.jfade.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=466 ) is supposed to be better.  I have that and will be using it in future.

Tribulatio proxima est
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 June 10, 14:14:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A lot of people use their DVD players to burn family photos on to DVDs so that they're not taking up room on their computer's HD or their camera's memory card.  It's not always about the piracy.

I have whole separate from my c drive drives for photos. So that's not an issue. I take photos a 'batch' at a time, remove them from the memory card, clean them up, then load them up to my website...then use them to sell my stuff.

As I said, it's not that I don't have issues with it, and I will tell you that dirty words were said in my household and it WAS removed from my husband's computer when it was discovered there (and not from any sims CD). I will also tell you that other types of anti-piracy software have given me complete fits - on music CD company was so hellbent on keeping everyone from copying their music onto their computer it also kept me from being able to play the music cd in my car or in my home stereo. I, too, understand the need to protect copyright, but making things worthless and unusable doesn't generally do the trick and that is what securom seems to do on some peoples computers - others not so much (and that's a whole other discussion about Microsoft and PCs and I don't have a headache this morning and let's keep it that way, okay?).

Anyway...didn't realize the sims were different (I really pay as little attention to the ones that come with the game as possible) and I had forgotten about the saloon swinging doors and overalls, etc. So yeah, there might be a want for it. But if it's a bugaboo for the OP because of the way she's got the game installed...if the OP could use JFadetool and install it, that would be cool.

edited so the grammar police don't get me.

snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 June 10, 14:29:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IIRC, the Launcher does not carry securom.  Securom does not seem to be a major them in the "Why you should hate the launcher" thread (although there are other reasons to hate it).  The launcher also seems to have managed to install Riverview without glitches in my game, which I gather is something of a surprise.  That said, I am not making a habit of using it and will be getting the multi-installer.  The real bother with TS3, in my view, is the Download Manager, which does sit in startup, constantly phones home, installs useless registry entries that fry your system performance, etc.

I can confirm that the EADM is a huge DNW.  I am convinced it was causing major issues (including crashes) until uninstalled, because I am <SURPRISE!> no longer having these issues.  You mentioned, jolrei, that you cleaned your registry of the remaining EADM filth.  What am I looking for?  I need targets for my deletion rampage of rage.

I used the launcher to install everything from The Store.  But will be using jfade's program from now on.   
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 June 10, 14:47:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can confirm that the EADM is a huge DNW.  I am convinced it was causing major issues (including crashes) until uninstalled, because I am <SURPRISE!> no longer having these issues.  You mentioned, jolrei, that you cleaned your registry of the remaining EADM filth.  What am I looking for?  I need targets for my deletion rampage of rage.

I found the information around here somewhere (not being vague on purpose - just can't seem to immediately recreate my search). 

I am across town from my game computer at the moment, and can probably provide more specific registry location info later today, but in a nutshell, if you're in the registry using the "regedit" command, hunt for the "Electronic Arts" section (in one of the SOFTWARE subdirectories)  If you see keys related to Core and EAL, those would be the suckers to delete.  My registry had three sub-folders under Electronic Arts:  Core, TS3, and EAL.  I left only the TS3 one, for reasonably obvious reasons.

I would, of course, advocate strongly that you make a backup of your registry prior to deleting anything.

As you say, zorching the EADM solved all manner of problems.

Tribulatio proxima est
MaryH
Garrulous Gimp

I can haz Polar Bearz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 June 10, 14:55:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Over at RYG and Prism we've tested the game for any trace of DRM. This is our statement on the issues:

Sims 3 Testing Results

The staff of RYG are still very bothered at the fact that EA did not choose to be honest about disclosing who designed the copy protection for Sims 3. However as a site we have a responsibility to honestly report on the effect of that copy protection.

The Reclaim Your Game/Prism Staff have spent most of the last few days exhaustively testing the DRM for Sims 3 on the Disc Version.

These are the results:
-The copy protection does not appear to leave any files on your PC
-All of the files are digitally signed by EA (as opposed to Sony DADC)
-This new copy protection is not blocking any legal software-for example, it doesn't disallow the game from operating if Nero is on your pc
-The new copy protection for Sims 3 appears to be well coded and contained on the .exe file (on the Disc)
-All free items from the Sims 3 store are stable and free of SecuROM. (we have not tested the paid items at this time, but will keep you updated)
-Gamers are able to install Riverview via the EADM and then remove the EADM and continue playing with that neighborhood.

However, we are not able to test for all possible issues. For example, if the new SecuROM causes hard drives to crash, it will likely take at least a few weeks for that issue to show up. At this stage, based on the available evidence, we are 90 percent certain that the copy protection is relatively safe.

The available evidence suggests that many of the issues experienced by gamers on the Sims3 forums are due to the following:
-Gamers who had previously installed the leaked copy of the Sims 3 and had not properly removed Securom, the registry files and any other files left behind from the leaked copy before installing the legal game on their PC
-Gamers with out of date drivers (Graphics Cards and Optical drives) and corrupted or out of date Direct X.
-Gamers who have not defragmented their PCs or done a System/Registry clean up recently.
-Gamers with specific older models of DVD drives

We suggest before installing Sims 3, that you:
-defrag your pc. If you do not have a defrag program at the moment, Auslogics is free, quick and excellent
-Clean out your Registry. We recommend Midfingr's tune and clean program which can be downloaded from here.
-Update your drivers, especially your graphics drivers.
We have quite a few people on the forum who have followed the above steps, including those with older PCs. They have had few if any issues with their game.
-Ensure you clean out all SecuROM and Safedisc files from your PC (including the Registry). To remove all SecuROM you can use Midfingr's *NEW* Automated SecuROM Removal Tool.
-Once all of that is done, you should then restart your PC.

Then once you've installed your game and done your registration and gotten all the downloads you want from the TS3 site through the EADM, then it's good to do another restart before you play your game, which stops the EADM from continually running in the background.

http://reclaimyourgame.com/

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
LadyVatrovia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 June 10, 16:31:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, for heaven's sake!  If you have a registered version, you just click on the "download new neighborhood" option on your registration confirmation email.  The download will use the launcher (yes, I know that's bad) and you can download and install Riverview that way.  I don't have the download manager installed either.

Why so nasty!?  It's not that easy for me. I have my Sims on it's own drive. No internet connection and nothing running but the essentials......I come here for help not snooty ass people that run others off with their superior little insecure attitudes! Not every is a tech know how...If I brought you into my expertise....could diagnose an ill pet, can clean and stitch properly....most likely not
ZeKat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 June 10, 16:43:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why so nasty!?  It's not that easy for me. I have my Sims on it's own drive. No internet connection and nothing running but the essentials......I come here for help not snooty ass people that run others off with their superior little insecure attitudes! Not every is a tech know how...If I brought you into my expertise....could diagnose an ill pet, can clean and stitch properly....most likely not

Why so nasty? This is MATY. People here are More Awesome Than You, and are thus superior. The attitude helps keeping children and tards off Pescado's lawn. If you don't like it, try a different forum. There's plenty of "nice" forums. Like the BBS  Roll Eyes
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 June 10, 16:45:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why so nasty!?... I come here for help not snooty ass people...

Good lord, really?  "Snooty ass" people R us.  Surely our reputation is not so badly known.

It's not that easy for me. I have my Sims on it's own drive. No internet connection and nothing running but the essentials...

Well, somehow you are going to have to download Riverview.  You can get a non-launcher version from links in this thread:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15100.0.html

After that, you can use the s3 recompressor (in the Armoire of Awesomeness) and the s3viewer to install it.  The thread I just linked, and the download link for the s3viewer (provided earlier in this thread) should help you with that.

Tribulatio proxima est
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 June 10, 16:46:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why so nasty? This is MATY. People here are More Awesome Than You, and are thus superior. The attitude helps keeping children and tards off Pescado's lawn. If you don't like it, try a different forum. There's plenty of "nice" forums. Like the BBS  Roll Eyes

Precisely. And when someone comes crashing in the doors, posting new threads willy-nilly, it annoys us.

LadyV, if you had bothered to look around, you would see that Riverview and all SimsStore objects are available and linked to in a subsection of this very forum. You could have helped yourself to it, less one EADM, in a couple of minutes. Instead, you started shit and have been waiting around for a day for someone to spoon feed you.

For those who did, instead of P&L and telling her to open her eyes...for shame.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 June 10, 16:50:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

could diagnose an ill pet, can clean and stitch properly....most likely not

Here at MATY we have people in a range of professions, as well as people who are not currently in paid employment.  Many of us do have pets, houses to look after, families we are raising (or have finished raising), and/or an interest in crafts (knitting seems to be the most popular, but there are also a few cross-stitchers, embroiderers, etc).

So ... what was your point?

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 June 10, 16:59:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Over at RYG and Prism we've tested the game for any trace of DRM. This is our statement on the issues:

-Gamers are able to install Riverview via the EADM and then remove the EADM and continue playing with that neighborhood.

So the launcher and the EADM are the same thing, or no? I had assumed they were two different things, but this almost sounds like they are the same. I've used the launcher to install the Riverview available here in the store thread, and I'm trying to figure out if I may have inadvertently installed Securom on my mac. Unfortunately, since there's no registry I'm not able to check for it that way.

I sing along with elevator music.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 June 10, 17:00:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

could diagnose an ill pet, can clean and stitch properly....most likely not

Here at MATY we have people in a range of professions, as well as people who are not currently in paid employment.  Many of us do have pets, houses to look after, families we are raising (or have finished raising), and/or an interest in crafts (knitting seems to be the most popular, but there are also a few cross-stitchers, embroiderers, etc).

So ... what was your point?

I believe she was trying to imply that I could not turn my cat into a tea-cosy through the magic of cross-stitching.  I am wondering what about this would be desirable.

Tribulatio proxima est
ZeKat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 June 10, 17:04:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

[quote author=jolrei link=topic=15301.msg440591#msg440591 date=1244653232
I believe she was trying to imply that I could not turn my cat into a tea-cosy through the magic of cross-stitching.  I am wondering what about this would be desirable.
[/quote]
But... I always wanted a cross-stitched cosy-cat! My OCD likes the alliteration. Where can I place my order?
rosess
Dimwitted Dunce

I caught you a deelishus bass

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 June 10, 17:22:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not every is a tech know how...If I brought you into my expertise....could diagnose an ill pet, can clean and stitch properly....most likely not

Patently untrue!  Everyone can diagnose pets.  Behold!

Sleepy!

Dopey!  Grumpy!

Chilly!

Also Chilly!

Not a Toomah

Not a Pet

Frickin' Lazorbeameyetis

Mane'g
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 June 10, 17:32:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not every is a tech know how...If I brought you into my expertise....could diagnose an ill pet, can clean and stitch properly....most likely not

Patently untrue!  Everyone can diagnose pets.  Behold!

Hur! Excellent comeback. +10 points.

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: