More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 18:38:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Facts & Strategery
| | |-+  Novels - A Guide
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Novels - A Guide  (Read 69644 times)
Rothchild
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Novels - A Guide
« Reply #25 on: 2009 June 20, 10:58:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Conclusion: hells of disappointing.  I was hoping the library'd at least do something, I guess its effect is either a LIE or is limited to skilling.  I'll test that next.
Three tests are hardly conclusive.  I thought I read in one of the XML's that the library gave some percent increase in the chance of hits and best sellers, so I searched through all the GameplayData.package XML's and found this;

In the Book XML it states the library grants a bonus 1 point per minute when reading.
In the Homework XML it states the completion rate modifier from the library is 1.111.
In the BuffPowerStudy XML it states the "working from home" performance (for workaholics) multiplier for the library is 1.5.

Absolutely no mention of any writing bonuses.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 20, 11:47:27 by Rothchild » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009 June 20, 11:03:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The interesting thing is I can't actually find a modifier inside skilling anywhere for the library effect. I can definitely confirm the existence of the homework and work effect, though. It makes "Work from Home" a bit of a misnomer, really.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009 June 20, 11:03:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the BuffPowerStudy XML is states the "working from home" performance multiplier for the library is 1.5.  What "working from home" is exactly, I'm not sure, but I'd guess it's writing reports and articles for your job.

Workaholic Sims have the option to "Work from home", which allows them to raise their performance outside their work hours on a computer.  

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
Rothchild
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009 June 20, 11:54:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The interesting thing is I can't actually find a modifier inside skilling anywhere for the library effect. I can definitely confirm the existence of the homework and work effect, though. It makes "Work from Home" a bit of a misnomer, really.
Is skilling modified by the speed at which you read the skill book? I keep wanting to think PPM is Pages Per Minute, when it's Points Per Minute.  Since the Homework skill gets 10 PPM (3 PPM if you copy homework), 1 PPM doesn't seem like much.
Code:
<kBookLibraryReadPPMBonus value="1" />

Workaholic Sims have the option to "Work from home", which allows them to raise their performance outside their work hours on a computer.
Thank you.  I edited my post.

Book Values...
From the Writing XML I calculated the average pages and average unmodified royalties for each book type to find the royalties per page.  Most of the results were obvious, but I like to have hard numbers when picking the best thing to do.  I was a bit shocked at how well Childrens ranked.

Masterpiece - 1.463
Vaudeville - 1.288
Romance - 1.104
Satire - 1.086
Childrens - 0.857
Fantasy - 0.75
Mystery - 0.652
Historical - 0.644
Humor - 0.638
Drama - 0.562
Article - 0.554
SciFi - 0.433
Trashy - 0.416
AutoBiography - 0.406
Biography - 0.406
Fiction - 0.333
NonFiction - 0.333
« Last Edit: 2009 June 20, 13:20:41 by Rothchild » Logged
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009 June 20, 13:12:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From a game-balance point of view, it makes a certain amount of sense because Children's requires that you develop an unrelated skill.  Of course, that ignores the fact that Biography and Autobiography, which aren't particularly easy to unlock, are the worst sellers on the list.

I slightly resent that a category that doesn't really exist is so high paying.  A "vaudeville novel" is a contradiction in terms - by its very nature, vaudeville is not something that translates off the stage.  It's fairly low-quality entertainment even when it is on stage, so it's annoying to see it as the penultimate literary form.

No figures for the bottom two categories, Fiction and Non Fiction?  Though from experience they're both low.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Rothchild
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 June 20, 13:22:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No figures for the bottom two categories, Fiction and Non Fiction?  Though from experience they're both low.
Thank you.  I totally missed those two.  For some reason they were much later in the XML and not grouped with the rest.  They both rank the lowest at 0.333.  The list was edited to include them.
Nerzhal
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 June 20, 15:26:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

- Reading 50 books caps out your speed bonus, seems to be a very tiny linear speed progression per book read from 0 to 50.
Do you have to read 50 different Books or can you just read the same over and over again?

Edit: do books written by yourself also count?
« Last Edit: 2009 June 20, 16:35:51 by Nerzhal » Logged
hooptytrib
Asinine Airhead

INTP. Delinquent LULZpayer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 2009 June 20, 17:20:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They fulfill reading wishes, so likely yes.
PolecatEZ
Blathering Buffoon

Necatur Americanus - and I vote!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009 June 20, 18:23:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

- Reading 50 books caps out your speed bonus, seems to be a very tiny linear speed progression per book read from 0 to 50.
Do you have to read 50 different Books or can you just read the same over and over again?

Check your "books read" stat in your writing skill page.  I believe repeated books don't count.  You will see the difference when you go to read a book, it will either be "Read XXX" or "Reread XXX".

Yes, your own books count, but only if you read them after you get them in the mail.
Czezechael
Blathering Buffoon

in my mouf...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009 June 20, 18:25:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Three tests are hardly conclusive.  I thought I read in one of the XML's that the library gave some percent increase in the chance of hits and best sellers, so I searched through all the GameplayData.package XML's and found this;

Well, I was honestly hoping more for a bonus in writing speed.  I guess it could just be the RNG and the library actually does give some mysterious invisible bonus to hit/best seller chance, but since most of my experiences with library seemed to make reading, skilling, etc. faster I'd assumed it would have some effect on novel writing rate.

Also, I think rereading books count.  My partner's selfsim regularly got wishes to read many, many books, and rereading books prompted the wishgranting.  Of course my eyes could deceive me, but that's what I recall.
PolecatEZ
Blathering Buffoon

Necatur Americanus - and I vote!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009 June 20, 18:50:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, I think rereading books count.  My partner's selfsim regularly got wishes to read many, many books, and rereading books prompted the wishgranting.  Of course my eyes could deceive me, but that's what I recall.

It may grant the wish, but it doesn't up your permanent stat, just checked.  Under your writing skill tab you will see the stat for the amount of "unique" books you have read.  The good news is that every unique book read makes your reading that much fast for the next one.  Also, short books and articles count just fine, my sim can read a children's book in about 30 game minutes or less.  Fiction, non-fiction, and sci-fi novels go down very easy also.

New question...for everyone.

I parsed the heck out of the xmls and found no bonus to writing for having the "Artistic" trait.  The trait's description mentions that they become better writers, but nothing in the xml code backs that up.

Does the "Artistic" Trait have any global effect on writing, or does it just help one or two genres maybe like other traits?
« Last Edit: 2009 June 20, 18:57:22 by PolecatEZ » Logged
Rothchild
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 June 20, 19:00:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Artistic simply adds a 1.1 multiplier to the speed you learn the Writing skill.  It also multiplies the speed for Guitar by 1.1 and Painting by 1.25.
Czezechael
Blathering Buffoon

in my mouf...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 June 20, 19:26:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It may grant the wish, but it doesn't up your permanent stat, just checked.  Under your writing skill tab you will see the stat for the amount of "unique" books you have read.  The good news is that every unique book read makes your reading that much fast for the next one.

Wait, so reading moar unique books makes you read faster?  Does this apply to reading skill books too?  Do we have any inkling as to what rate it increasificates at?
moonluck
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009 June 22, 04:03:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How does one gain the ability to write a Childrens novel?

Or I could be totally wrong...
dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009 June 22, 07:27:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe by having a certain level of painting skill - level 4 or possibly 5.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009 June 22, 10:54:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe by having a certain level of painting skill - level 4 or possibly 5.

Level 4.  Or by having the childish and/or playful traits.
Soggy Fox
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009 June 23, 23:25:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Children can write novels too - and they seem to get the option for children's books without painting [I think], but I can't confirm it since my sims tend to learn painting first.
cuthbert
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009 July 04, 07:34:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sim got an option to write Political Memoir while she's in the Politics career(9). Problem is, I can't figure out the exact condition to unlock it. When she got an opportunity to write a Political Memoir and bring it to work, I thought it was a one-time thing only available through opportunity like Biography since no one in MATY mentioned 'Political Memoir' except PolecatEZ. Anyway when she got that opportunity she was level 9 in the Politics and reached 10 that day. After finishing writing the memoir she quit the job without completing the opportunity, because completing the opportunity would lose the book forever and I wanted to keep the book in her home. But the option to write Political Memoir is still on her computer. She maximized all of her skills except writing(8-9) and painting(8-9).

Sorry for any grammatical errors, I'm Korean and I'm not good at writing in English.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009 July 04, 07:49:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry for any grammatical errors, I'm Korean and I'm not good at writing in English.

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question - but your English is just fine. More than fine, it's bloody good.  Grin

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
FrickinIdjit
Corpulent Cretin

ENTJ

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009 July 10, 17:38:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone know if reading skill books, recipes/bait, and learning songs adds to the "#Books Read"?
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009 July 11, 04:39:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, they do.  I've completed "read X books" wishes with reading recipes and skill books.  I don't know if it works for songs, since learning a song doesn't use the Read interaction.  If you do it properly, anyway, instead of reading the songbook.

- Gus

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009 July 11, 17:46:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will have to try to get the Vaudville one. Childrens one looks like a good deal though. I didn't realize reading books helped you write either. Or going to write at the library, but makes sense. Does having more logic also help? It seems that helps a lot of things.

And good god does the masterpiece ever take long to write. I just had my sim finish one took FOREVER and that was with constantly using the damned moodlet soother too and with all the bonuses like the speed bonus for making $30k from books. But on the upside it was a best seller and she's getting 6 payments of $15K!!  Shocked

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
ingeli
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: 2009 July 13, 18:08:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll ask this here too, probably a better place for it than the Awesome Wish Thread Tongue. So, I want my sims novels to be buyable, and I have tried selling them to the bookstore. They don't show up as buyable books. Do they have to be bestsellers for that or what? They are all in the library. Selling them to the bookstore just made them vanish from my sims house, which is sad.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009 July 13, 21:08:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They never show up in the bookstore, despite hints to the contrary.  They show up in the library, but otherwise the free copies you get for writing them are the only copies in existence.

- Gus

Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009 July 13, 21:33:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They never show up in the bookstore, despite hints to the contrary.  They show up in the library, but otherwise the free copies you get for writing them are the only copies in existence.

They can also show up as Book Club books (for bookworm Sims).

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: