More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 20:43:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  AWESOMEMOD & SCRIPT HACKS: CRASH ISSUES THREAD
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: AWESOMEMOD & SCRIPT HACKS: CRASH ISSUES THREAD  (Read 199917 times)
WerewolfOfTheWater
Asinine Airhead

derp

View Profile WWW
AWESOMEMOD & SCRIPT HACKS: CRASH ISSUES THREAD
« on: 2009 June 07, 08:15:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems that I need that enablescripterror.package in order to ensure it doesn't crash. Maybe you could include that with the mod/framework? It works, though.

You don't even
Windom Earle
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 07, 08:39:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Latest Awesomeness doesn't work well with enablescripterror.package - it crashes at starting screen almost every time...
Without enablescripterror.package it works OK though...
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 07, 08:51:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This version of Awesomemod caused my game to CTD on the loading screen (just after the intro video).

Note: I played with the 2 previous versions with no issues or crashes, on repeated loads. This morning after installing this version, I had repeated crashes, even after deleting ALL the cache files.

When I removed this version and replaced it with the previous version, the game loaded.

I have never used enablescripterror.package.

More F than you
Lavandula
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 07, 09:15:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have this version installed and it works fine, no crash. I just want to know if the 'lifetimehappiness' cheat has been removed? I keep getting 'unknown command'. I had been using this cheat with the previous versions.
Indiasong
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 07, 09:31:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Won't load, I get busy only.
Stormibrooke
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 07, 09:33:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I Just wanted to add my experience with the crashing issue in case it's useful. I didn't have any crashes with the first version of the mod, and with the second one I added the enablescripterror.package at the same time as I updated the mod yesterday and I crashed on startup. Took out the enablescripterror.package and tried again and it loaded fine. I have XP sp2. I haven't yet tried this newer version.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 07, 10:01:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The random crashing seems to occur anytime you change versions of anything. It seems to help if you purge your caches.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pythia
Asinine Airhead

Just lurking

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 07, 10:10:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awesome mod truly is awesome. Love the configurability, an elegant solution to the Highlander style of modding TS3 forces on us.

The slider option makes me say: Thanks, this is geat!

I've just tested for crashing and was getting 50/50 on crashing vs loading. I left in the enablescripterror.package and didn't clear any caches between attempts. Crashing was random and out of 6 tries I got 3 loads and 3 crashes. Damned if I know what's causing it to choke.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 June 07, 10:11:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So purge the caches every time.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 June 07, 11:11:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Am I purging enough caches, or are there more in other directories?

I am getting rid of all the caches in C:\Documents and Settings\My Username\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3, ie:
CASPartCache.package
compositorCache.package
scriptCache.package
simCompositorCache.package

The game persistently crashes before the dice logo comes up. Also, the game seems to be generating error logs on each crash, I have attached one in case it would be helpful at all. It refers to an "access violation."
« Last Edit: 2009 June 07, 15:29:51 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

More F than you
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 June 07, 12:05:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not all of us are having a crashing problems Wintermute. My game's been stable with all these updates. When I purge the caches it takes much longer for the game to regenerate everything. I'd rather not have it forced if it's not needed.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 June 07, 12:06:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If your programs require things to be purged write code to auto purge so it works seamlessly. Requiring end users to fiddle every time you want to play is annoying.
Here's the thing: We don't KNOW why it does that. There is no apparent logical reason why it even DOES. At this point, we're just proposing "Voodoo Debugging" panacea solutions

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 June 07, 12:16:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, it's basically a completely unclear process of WHY it does that. We are suggesting cache purges as basically a panacea, as it seems to help, but there is no apparent rhyme or reason WHY this happens: I rarely see this issue, and when I do, it tends to appear after a fresh build, and tends to go away with a cache purge or reload attempt.

mandababy
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 June 07, 13:15:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a question that's probably dumb on my part, and I blame no sleep, but for the things that say "optional- default: enabled" these are automatically enabled on the normal versions correct? Or does that mean for those that pick and chose with the configuration tool?
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 June 07, 13:24:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mac report - retail version

The new awesome (+ aweconf) crashes on loadscreen, just before the dice icon appears. Purging all the caches doesn't help. Without aweconf, same crash. Crash 4/4 tries.

enablescripterror.package fixes and the game loads flawlessy.

Now testing the gameplay.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
dDefinder
Blathering Buffoon

An Acronym

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2009 June 07, 14:31:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was having CTD problems on load until I deleted userPresets.package. What is this file?

No matter what variables there are, it all adds up to total and all-encompassing tedium.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 June 07, 14:59:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is data is all very baffling and it seems like it is all voodoo. NONE of this should have any effect on the crashing, but for some reason performing seemingly random acts resolves the crashes?

I was having CTD problems on load until I deleted userPresets.package. What is this file?
That's where your CAS saved recolors are kept. There absolutely no logical reason why THAT would crash anything or stop crashing anything.

This entire business makes even less sense than Windoze does.

Sam the Limey
Asinine Airhead

Lawn Gnome Liberation Front

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 June 07, 15:13:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still using the older one now I've figured out how to make it work.

For me, honestly just deleting scriptcache.package before starting the game seems to work every time.

...But I am lured by the face slider fix... I'll fiddle with it later and keep a backup of the mod version I'm using now in case I encounter any more borking.
Stormibrooke
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 June 07, 15:24:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

An update on my side of the crashing issue.

Firstly, I had deleted the script cache when I did the update I mentioned above, that had crashed. Only removing the enablescripterror.package allowed it to load correclty. I apologise, I should have mentioned that.

Second, I tried this latest version, it crashed on start up repeatedly, after I deleted the script cache, and then tried deleting them all. Same deal. Oddly, putting the enablescripterror. package IN this time, allowed it to load.

So yes, this all looks very strange, and I don't think there is an ideal answer the suits everyone.  Considering the many crash issues people are having with the vanilla game, I think at this point it's all red herrings and guesswork.  I am grateful for this mod, and a little fiddling with files is no biggie if it means I can use it.  If I can ever reproduce this issue in a reliable way, I will post back.

Rothchild
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: AWESOMEMOD & SCRIPT HACKS: CRASH ISSUES THREAD
« Reply #19 on: 2009 June 07, 15:35:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just tried it for the first time and followed directions exactly.  First load went fine, loaded a saved game, typed showconfig to confirm the mod was working, saved, exited perfectly.  Second load worked great, but I didn't load a saved game.  Third and forth time it crashed during loading so I deleted scriptCache.package again, but it still crashed on the fifth attempt.  I added aweconf.package and it loaded perfectly six times in a row, including saving a game in the middle of those.
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 June 07, 15:43:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Installing the new mod, it crashed on startup here but in the mydoc~ folder it created several crash log files and a copy of the borked cache files which let me know which ones were messed up! So, if you see these logs in your folder, delete them and the cache files!
Rothchild
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 June 07, 15:55:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I edited my aweconf.package to this;
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<base>
  <Current_Tuning>
    <SmarterChairFinder value="True">
       <!--Smarter Chair-Finding Behavior: favors in-room chairs, similar to TS2-->
    </SmarterChairFinder>
  </Current_Tuning>
</base>
So it would basically be default and it crashed on my second attempt to load.  I put back my old aweconf.package and it loaded perfectly three times in a row.  The changes from default in my old aweconf.package are SmarterChairFinder, LessWhiny, BooksNotMagicScrolls, AthleticAutoSelect, NoWorkPromoForceDayOff, and DisableTraitCaps are all set to false.  I'll try them one by one and see if any of those are the cause of the crashes.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 June 07, 15:59:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's the thing: None of those options crash. The crashing is purely magic and apparently is triggered or suppressed purely by changing things. There is nothing the code there that would randomly crash: In fact, at the point you are crashing at, none of it is even running!

GiLaNg
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 June 07, 16:09:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is data is all very baffling and it seems like it is all voodoo. NONE of this should have any effect on the crashing, but for some reason performing seemingly random acts resolves the crashes?

That's where your CAS saved recolors are kept. There absolutely no logical reason why THAT would crash anything or stop crashing anything.

This entire business makes even less sense than Windoze does.

Well, apparently that method works for me. But every time this file is regenerated, the game cannot start again. So I need to deleted it again. But this means that we can't save any custom recolor/style.
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2009 June 07, 16:15:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My findings, let me show you them.

ok. So I install new awesomemod. Try to load game, CRASH!
I take out the cache files. Try to load game, CRASH!
Do nothing and try to load game again. WORKS!

So I think that you just have to keep trying to load the game. Second time after removing cache it worked.

I think that when the game sees new code coming in, whether it be mod or new cache file, it gets stupid and confused and just crashes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: