More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 23:22:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  How do you protect your right to piracy?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How do you protect your right to piracy?  (Read 19339 times)
rosenshyne
Dimwitted Dunce

I/ENFJ

View Profile WWW
How do you protect your right to piracy?
« on: 2009 June 07, 04:18:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been torrenting for some time, and tonight my internet was abruptly shut off, with this message from my service provider displayed in my browser.

I wasn't leeching M&G, I was seeding it, and have been for at least a month. While this was likely the work of a mole, I wanted to ask if there are any precautions the more experienced among you use to hide your tracks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Re: How do you protect your right to piracy?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 07, 05:10:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Crikey, that's a bit of a shocker. I'd be livid. My sympathies.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
rottenelle
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 07, 05:16:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use satellite internet provided by Hughenet. Costs more but they don't care what I look at or download as long as the bill is paid every month. I'm not financially well off but I budget for it because it's a priority. Pay for better service get more free stuff.
Exiled
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 07, 06:07:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Were you trying to encrypt the BitTorrent traffic in any way?

Apparently there's a service called Torrent Privacy that is billed as the only secure way to torrent privately, but it costs $100 a year to suscribe.  At that cost I might as well buy the stuff I'm torrenting.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 07, 06:10:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wasn't leeching M&G, I was seeding it, and have been for at least a month. While this was likely the work of a mole, I wanted to ask if there are any precautions the more experienced among you use to hide your tracks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
There's your problem right there. Change your IP and loadout more frequently than that!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
rosenshyne
Dimwitted Dunce

I/ENFJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 07, 06:33:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks like I need to learn a new skill.

Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 07, 07:16:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Peer Guardian is also your friend.

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day." - Dean Martin
<Pescado>   Because hey, sometimes you have fun, and sometimes fun has you.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 07, 07:20:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Peer Guardian" is a useless waste of space. Just don't sit around seeding things for months. Tongue

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lonesome Dove
Asinine Airhead

It's not my fault!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 June 11, 01:18:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do you change your IP? The only way I know is to use Tor and from what I understand that's frowned upon because it hogs the available resources. Correct me if I'm wrong. Like you wouldn't.

I normally only torrent pretty obscure stuff, ebooks and old music, stuff like that. But I torrented Sims 3 because I wanted to see if it was the POS people are saying it is before I plunked down cash for it. I seeded for a while but got nervous and shut it off. I hate being a leech but I can't afford to pay for privacy service. I do continue to seed the other torrents I've downloaded as I doubt they'll draw any interest from the powers that be. Maybe I'm wrong there, too.

One other question: The notice rosenshyne got says she can reactivate her connection once she's removed the M&G file from her computer. How can they tell whether she did or not, unless she resumed that specific torrent? Is Big Brother that big?
Rhayden
Retarded Reprobate

WaffleCat's ambassador to the Artichoke Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 June 11, 05:09:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use satellite internet provided by Hughenet. Costs more but they don't care what I look at or download as long as the bill is paid every month. I'm not financially well off but I budget for it because it's a priority. Pay for better service get more free stuff.

Satellite internet is crap. Get a real ISP.

What, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Rhayden.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 June 11, 12:22:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Satellite internet is entirely serviceable for non-latency-sensitive operations, like Torrentry. It is a supplement to, not a substitute for, real Internets.

Chain_Reaction
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 June 11, 22:43:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do you change your IP? The only way I know is to use Tor and from what I understand that's frowned upon because it hogs the available resources. Correct me if I'm wrong. Like you wouldn't.

I normally only torrent pretty obscure stuff, ebooks and old music, stuff like that. But I torrented Sims 3 because I wanted to see if it was the POS people are saying it is before I plunked down cash for it. I seeded for a while but got nervous and shut it off. I hate being a leech but I can't afford to pay for privacy service. I do continue to seed the other torrents I've downloaded as I doubt they'll draw any interest from the powers that be. Maybe I'm wrong there, too.

One other question: The notice rosenshyne got says she can reactivate her connection once she's removed the M&G file from her computer. How can they tell whether she did or not, unless she resumed that specific torrent? Is Big Brother that big?

You can unplug your modem and wait a few minutes if you have DSL. If you have cable, It's not as easy. Try googling for more info about your modem or ISP and see if it's possible and how to do it. It's really not going to make much a difference if you do switch your IP, they keep records of who has what IP. If you've been caught, it's already too late.

As far as rosenshyne's notice, I highly doubt big brother is scanning her PC. They likely had bots out downloading torrents and picking up the IPs then just routing the IP to that page when they busted her. They will know if she didn't delete it if the bot finds her same IP seeding again.
Lonesome Dove
Asinine Airhead

It's not my fault!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 June 12, 18:07:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the response.

I do have cable and I know my IP is static. When I first started looking into torrents I searched for ways to stay anonymous and that's how I found out about Tor. The info I got said that you shouldn't use Tor for torrenting, though (sounds odd when you put it that way, doesn't it? You'd think something called Tor would be made for Tor-renting.) and that if too many people did it, they might even shut it down. I'm not geek enough to know how or why, it's just what I read. Every other method I found requires payment, except Peer Guardian, which I read everywhere is a worthless POS. Pescado thinks so, too, and that's the final word as far as I'm concerned. If you know of an effective anonymizer that's free please let me know!

I haven't been caught but I guess everybody who torrents worries about it. I avoid really popular stuff and recent releases. Most of that doesn't appeal to me anyway. As I said, I risked downloading Sims 3 because there's so much negative buzz about it and for me it's a lot of money to throw down for something I might not like and can't return.
Crash
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ WTF?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 June 14, 13:44:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Step one is, as everyone here has already informed you, getting a better ISP. Secondly you have to make sure you make it hard for the ISP find out what you are doing, since they automatically monitor certain types of traffic. If you're not already using a torrent client that has protocol encryption and tunneling options, you should switch to one that has it - it is also good for the ISP's that are throttling torrent traffic.To let you seed for longer times, you can change the seeding options in your client.

As for further security when torrenting, a secure VPN service is the best (unless you have other connections) - they are usually not pricey and more and more is popping up. The load times get slower, but nobody will know what you are doing.

Tor is not to be recommended - torrenting over the Tor network is very slow (slower than a vpn) and the network isn't designed for that kind of traffic - you might even piss some people of by using it for torrents.

Don't argue with an idiot. He will just drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Nimrod
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 June 14, 16:19:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow.  I can't believe so many of you are so n00bish when it comes the arring.  SHEESH.  Step one would be get rid of all your P2P junkware and ARRR for real.  In fact, the only necessarry step is for you to leech from files that are, usually, readily available from the original, tried and true servers of speech and share.  NEWS SERVERS, ya bunch o' dorks.  And to make things much easier, if you're like me and not invited to join newzbin, search for Usenet Explorer.  You must PAY for the program, mainly because it uses its own indexing server and hackers can't crack that with lasting success.  The program is well worth the costs, I've paid for it twice (18 month license) and it save tons of time by avoiding the task of downloading headers and sifting through them to find what you're wanting.  Actually, it's much like yer junkware only not as pretty and a little more complicated.  In addition, if your ISP doesn't provide good news service with high retention (mine leases access from giganews, which is about as good as it gets, plus I use Usenet-news.net as a backup) then you'll need to pay for usenet access from a third-party.  If you want to avoid a monthly payment and download less than 10GB per month, you can buy datablocks from Usenet-news.net that do not expire.

SO, to sum up, a very small investment will help you avoid yer stupidz P2P woes.  Oh, and if your arring isn't worth, say, $20 usd per month for a quality news services, then I don't know what to think.  I guess that's why stupid P2P and websites have such success preying on yer stupidz cheap azzez.  Oh yeah, and arring is intended to be TRIALWARE.  If you enjoy something after testdriving it, you should buy the damn thing and if you don't pay the dues, then I think you have no voice to criticize and should shut the fuck up with yer whining.  Get real, in a small, hickville southeast US town, I just spent $47.xx on a dinner meal for TWO.  In contrast, $49.99 for a game that I've had weeks of fun with.  Hmmm.  How can anyone not see the entertainment's worth in that small fee?  Huh?  Some of you people baffle me, just how fuckin' cheap are yoU?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 June 14, 19:30:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nimrod, your lack of knowledge about the general belief system is showing:

Agreed that some are doing it wrong, but then so are you. Paying for Arring defeats the purpose.

FYI, I am fucking cheap. $47 for dinner for two in hickville? Please. Two good meals here, in Chicago, cost about that. In my smallish town in Indiana, average dinner for two is $20-$25.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 June 14, 19:55:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I know people need to seed but as soon as I get the torrent I get off as quickly as possible. I might let it seed for a few hours but certainly not for weeks. I do not want to draw attention to myself.

Nimrod
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 June 14, 22:12:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zazazu, that wasn't an average price, it is mid-range, just an example of what I had spent the night before (and I actually compared the price to what I had spent on TS3 as I was paying).  Seems like the pricing up there and here are the same though.  No fair, you guys earn higher wages.   Tongue

Coincidentally, I just returned from an early Father's Day outting with my three daughters.  An outting that included Red Lobster... now if only I could have ARRRed that meal!  It was funny watching glimpses of their expressions as they tried to hide them while reviewing the bill.  HAha.  So, I snatched the bill, thanked them for their time they had spent with me and paid it myself.  But that's just me, I enjoy paying for things when I find them worthy and these days, getting all three of my daughters together at once is worth quiet a bit... apparently.

Lastly, I'm not the only one paying for my ARRing, I just go steps futher to get quality, reliability and privacy!  If you pay for internet access, then you're paying for yer ARRing.  In this light, the only ones who do it right are the ones who also leech off their neighbor's unsecured/poorly secured wireless access.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 June 14, 22:40:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zazazu, that wasn't an average price, it is mid-range, just an example of what I had spent the night before (and I actually compared the price to what I had spent on TS3 as I was paying).  Seems like the pricing up there and here are the same though.  No fair, you guys earn higher wages.   Tongue
Actually, I make nothing since I'm laid off, except for a bit of income from a temp job a couple weeks ago. However, rent on a decent one-bedroom apartment 6 miles from downtown will run you about $900 here. And a condo? You can find places for around $130k, but you wouldn't want to live there unless you like getting shot at. A two bedroom, smallish place runs around $200k. In this market. There are little houses in my neighborhood that go for 1.5 mil. Yeah, we make more. We pay more, too. Food prices just aren't too bad if you stick to neighborhood joints (not downtown where there is an additional tax) and know the specials.

And I just almost had a panic attack, thinking it was Father's Day. My poor little dad would have been heartbroken if I forgot to call him.

I'll seed for a couple hours, too, but no longer than that. My Internets! Mine!

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 June 14, 22:58:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You PAY to eat out? That seems STUPID. If I actually can be bothered to go OUT, I expect to find my food for FREE. Try some of that free-range, organic, 100% all-natural, automotively processed meat.

Nimrod
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 June 14, 23:44:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, Zazazu,  you're right, I apologize.  It's just that the scene has suffered severly because of P2P methods.  But alas, to each his own, ARRR. 

And our Presidente is a riot!  Road kill imagery on such a stuffed stomie though, that's tough.  Lips sealed
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 June 14, 23:45:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, Zazazu,  you're right, I apologize.  It's just that the scene has suffered severly because of P2P methods.  But alas, to each his own, ARRR.
Then the "scene" is suffering the same malaise as the industry: Failure to adapt to the changing landscape. Just like the industry, it must learn to adapt and become stronger and more efficient, or die. It is the way of things: The strong survive, the weak perish.

Nimrod
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 June 15, 00:57:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True, but I wouldn't consider any P2P method, what with its many restrictions, such as low bandwidth and reliance on end-users, to be something that is stonger nor more efficient to the trusty news servers.  Which, with the fact that there continues to be a premium cost,  the evidence is clear that some things are simply worth those costs.  I'll gladly pay the fee and have my nice, single channel connections that blast my stuffs to me at full 1.5 MBps sppeeedz, with no IP sniffs logging my activities to boot!  Heh, perhaps that's the crop cream, pay just a little for true anonymity... at least until "they" decide otherwise, becuase right now, usenet is the only thing not being fucked with, except the idiots that are flooding it with old trojans and various maleware. 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 June 15, 01:43:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True, but I wouldn't consider any P2P method, what with its many restrictions, such as low bandwidth and reliance on end-users, to be something that is stonger nor more efficient to the trusty news servers.  Which, with the fact that there continues to be a premium cost,  the evidence is clear that some things are simply worth those costs.
See PURPOSE DEFEATING. If you're going to PAY MONEY for that, you've defeated the entire point!

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 June 15, 01:57:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your earlier suggestion that the price is the reason most people ARR is missing a point that is very relevant in the Sims community.

Many of the simmers I know that ARR their games (myself included) did not start ARRing until BV & SecuROM.  For this group of simmers, it's not about the cost of the game or not being able to afford the game, it is about refusing to pay for spyware that damages computers - including the computers of my adult daughter and at least one other person we know in real life.

As TS3 does not come with a version of SecuROM that installs itself onto your computer, my daughter and I have returned to buying the game.  Yes, we ARRed the pre-release version, but on release day we headed down to the local computer store and each of us handed over our $100 AUD to purchase the game - that's about $80 USD each.  We could each have paid for a couple of nights out at local restaurants for that.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: