More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 15:44:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  How exactly can you switch households, bork or no?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How exactly can you switch households, bork or no?  (Read 16619 times)
anyeone
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
How exactly can you switch households, bork or no?
« on: 2009 June 06, 18:36:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did do a search and didn't find the answer I was looking for so here's a new thread, sorry if somewhere using bizarre language I didn't think of it was already summed up.  But here goes.

I started a family.  It spawned many children. Eventually it was too big (Cool, so I moved two of the adult offspring out on their own, and one got married.  Total # of sims in family 1 is now 6, in family 2 (active is now 3).  I want to switch back to family 1.  I don't care about lost wants or anything like that (well, I *do* care but I am choosing to accept that suckage for now), I just want to switch active households. 

Is there a way I can do this?  I can't find any UI to support it, the only thing I can think of is trying to invite someone from family 1 to move in and then seeing if I can move all but 1 other adult sim into family 2, then moving them out again elsewhere and setting them active.  This is however kludgy and annoying.

Is there a better way, oh people of awesomeness?

I'm not megalomaniacal, I just play that way.
timelycorruption
Corpulent Cretin

INTP, Explorer/Killer

View Profile
Re: How exactly can you switch households, bork or no?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 06, 18:38:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't actually have the game, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Change Household option is under 'Edit Town'.

It's not SUPPOSED to be happening, but it apparently is anyway!
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 06, 18:42:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is correct - After the Edit Town UI comes up, there is an icon with 2 houses on the left.  Click that to change active households.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
funnykid
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 06, 21:20:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This just goes to show how poor the UI design is.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 06, 21:28:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's likely hard to find, because you are not meant to do it in an unmodded game.
BobMalarky
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 06, 21:53:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In Edit Town mode there's a little button all the way on the left with two tiny house icons.
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 06, 22:47:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup.  Hover mouse, it says Change Household or something like that.

I've done it, and it works seamlessly.  If your previous active household Sim was visiting   the Sim of the new household, he will still be visiting when you switch.  That's very different from Sims 2.  The problem is, of course, that you lose your Lifetime Rewards, but I can live with that until we get a mod to save them , which I expect won't be that hard once better tools are available and widespread.

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
anyeone
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 07, 05:03:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had never actually visited "edit town" because to me that sounded like it was just building creation which I hadn't gotten to yet.  I was able to do it without any problem once y'all pointed me in the right direction.  I agree though - horrible UI design there. 

I can live with it, although I'd prefer not losing the want progress, it's not a huge deal.  None of the lifetime wants reset but if it is going to "lose track" of things like the "have 10 boyfriends" want (which really should be "have 10 lovers" to keep it gender neutral, but that's another story) then I will just avoid those wants.

I am sure it's sacrilege but I actually like the story progression and seeing what mischief they get up to when I'm watching another household.  It may get annoying with particular sims that I have a master plan for but for others I'm finding it quite amusing.

Salomon
Weeaboo Pee Fancier
Blathering Buffoon

Desperate yet?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 June 07, 05:32:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can live with it, although I'd prefer not losing the want progress, it's not a huge deal.

What about losing your family because the game decided to delete it? I hope you're taking measures against that.

Sorry, I think you can still hold it a bit more...
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 June 07, 06:12:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I am seriously disappointed in the fact that each game is pretty much one household and that's that... (yes, I found that out the hard way tonight - lost about 4 hours worth of house-building/family building when the game decided to award my mommy-sim a short short adult lifespan- she'd be dead by the time her kid got to be a teenager).

Well, anyway...I got to thinking about this, and considering I never was one to play 'legacy style' and the whole 'no cheating' whining thing...oh God, if I could just get my fat fingers around their necks...
oh wait, I digress (it's late here).

One thing I used to do was to take 16 sims (usually 8 female, 8 male) university students and put them in 2 dorms and let them sort themselves out into couples and those 8 couples became the basis for the beginnings of a neighborhood...

Anyway, I'm wondering if it would be possible to make a household with 8 young adult sims (say 4 male or 4 female or who cares, get funky and do what you like) and let them mate and spawn - but now from the OP's post, I'm realizing that even that creates problems with offspring because you can't even switch between houses within the single neighborhood...

Someone at EA really was asleep at the wheel on this and the delay from Feb. didn't help any.

Please, someone tell me, is there at least NO Marsha Bruenig?

Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 June 07, 09:12:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm realizing that even that creates problems with offspring because you can't even switch between houses within the single neighborhood...

You *can* switch households.  It may lead to unwanted consequences but there is absolutely nothing stopping you from clicking "Switch active household" in the Edit Town UI. And they seem to be fairly adept at raising their kids - as in, they're not dropping dead or getting taken by the Social Worker (yet).

sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 June 07, 13:47:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well that is good to know this morning (serious coffee imbibing going on here).

I explained it to hubby with a movie and TV show analogy this morning. I think it's kind of like a combination of Sliders and Groundhog Day...each saved game is it's own little universe (Sliders) and each saved game essentially starts over at day zero with EA made sims except for the family you install (Groundhog Day).

Essentially they sucked the uniqueness that was each of our games right out of it...Even if we each installed the Sims2 right out of the box and played it without ever installing a hack or one bit of custom content, because no two people played the game the same way within a couple weeks of playing, everyone would have a completely different looking neighborhood - and no one's neighborhood was 'wrong'.

And what is up with the scavenger hunting for crap? If I wanted to scavenger hunt for crap I'd go to bigfishgames and buy one of those kind of games (I hate them, in case you haven't already figured that out, too).

Anyway, I think I'm going to try my 8 young adults and see where it goes idea...might be the only way the game stays viable for me.

anyeone
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2009 June 07, 17:00:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can live with it, although I'd prefer not losing the want progress, it's not a huge deal.

What about losing your family because the game decided to delete it? I hope you're taking measures against that.

Yikes!  I suppose I could copy the family and put it in the library but then all the relationships are gone too, if I have to restore from there.  They really ought to have differential behavior for player created families so that even if they "progess" they don't just go poof en masse...

Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 June 08, 03:03:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you talking about a family of eight in one household?  If so, I wonder if they even CAN have children without somebody moving out.  As it is now, Sims in a playable household of eight don't get the option to "Try for Baby."   

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 June 08, 03:08:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You *can* switch households.  It may lead to unwanted consequences but there is absolutely nothing stopping you from clicking "Switch active household" in the Edit Town UI. And they seem to be fairly adept at raising their kids - as in, they're not dropping dead or getting taken by the Social Worker (yet).
That's because when you're not playing a house and they no longer have any active instructions, they get "put on a bus". Meaning the game doesn't actually simulate them anymore, it just abstracts their actions, making assumptions of nondestructivity...for the most part. It's when you forcibly confront them, forcing them to the active high-detail simulation, and then corner them in their homes, that it all goes to shit and they pee themselves and die.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Salomon
Weeaboo Pee Fancier
Blathering Buffoon

Desperate yet?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 June 08, 03:42:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then the whole open neighborhood concept is a big cakelie.

Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 June 08, 06:47:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lie?  Uh, I guess it depends on how much you read into it.  Remember University?  When the dormies went into their rooms and closed the door, we were supposed to imagine they were brushing their teeth, doing homework, whatever.  But really, if you looked in Buy-mode, you could see they were just standing still for a few hours and then walking out with their motives refreshed. 

's the same thing here.  When you can't see Sim townies, they effectively don't exist.  It's Sim-solipsism.

Baron
Tyyppi
Horrible Halfwit

Even more arrows in knees!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 June 08, 07:12:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To be fair that's pretty much the only way they could do it. Simulating every sim in the neighborhood would most likely make your computer explode.

Death-Jester
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 June 08, 09:37:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if this is related to changing households, but I expect it is:

I was playing a Sim, who had convinced a townie to dump her boyfriend and 'Go Steady' with him.
But then I tried making a new Sim and changing households, and I got talking with the same townie. When I asked if she was single she said she was in a relationship with the boyfriend I made her dump with the other Sim.

So it seems like relationships reset if you change houses. At least, they seem to if the girl/boyfriend has not moved into the household.

Just another nail in the coffin for this so-called open town.
GnatGoSplat
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 June 08, 14:18:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BAH!  Changing households also results in the loss of non-purchased inventory.  For example, any of the crap your sim scavenged... seeds, produce, etc.  Gone!  Worse than that, if your sim bought a business, also gone!  I had a sim who had completely bought out 4 businesses.  When I went back to play her household, they were all gone.  Not even sold.  Very annoying.  I had to motherlode her 4-times to give her back the value of her businesses.

I also noticed when you go to change households, a dialog pops up with 3 options, "Yes, Save", "Just Continue", and "Cancel".  I had clicked "Yes, Save" every time, but I noticed you don't lose anything if you click "Just Continue".  At least, not from simply switching households.
Salomon
Weeaboo Pee Fancier
Blathering Buffoon

Desperate yet?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 June 08, 17:30:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Remember University?

It was a big lie as well! You never got to actually see the Sims in a classroom at all, it should have been called "Outside the University" or something.

To be fair that's pretty much the only way they could do it. Simulating every sim in the neighborhood would most likely make your computer explode.

While I agree it needs to be abstracted (because it's pointless to simulate things that the player mostly doesn't care about at a given moment) it should (and could) be abstracted precisely, the sims are just a bunch of values floating around that the game changes, so it should be easy to change them to reflect the same values that you would see if you were playing the family without interacting, without any computer exploding.

But that would lead to the same values for all households (the sims peed themselves and died), so it needs to have good AI first for a real open neighborhood and story progression to ever be "true."

Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 June 08, 17:49:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's because when you're not playing a house and they no longer have any active instructions, they get "put on a bus".

I should have figured that out when I had one Sim call another and was disappointed to see the second Sim protesting in front of City Hall rather than talking on the phone. 

sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 June 08, 22:12:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

biohazard...you didn't believe me did you.

Is it because I'm the sewinglady - and so I couldn't possibly be right?

Look...I'm serious here...each save - each instance you make...each time you enter Create-A-Sim and make a new family and install them in a neighborhood the WHOLE F'ING neighborhood resets.  All the pre-made sims don't know any of the sims you previously made and installed in that neighborhood and the new family you just put there cannot possibly meet the previously installed families you put there because they are in their own Sim-universe which was started the moment you put them there. Sliders and Groundhog Day. Seriously.

I spent yesterday making an 8 sim family. In order save me some brain-ache (or possibly to make me more, I can't decide which), I went with 4 young adults, each with one child - two children, two teenagers. Yes, I installed them all in one house. Yes it is incredibly difficult to play and no it is not fun...so I'm about to start the infernal game again...and as soon as I do I am moving half the sims - two adults and two children into their own home within the same neighborhood - but basically, they've lived together long enough that I've got an idea of who's falling for whom and therefore who's moving and who's staying put...so hopefully playing the game will get a little easier.

Now to figure out the idiocy that is gardening and to find the toaster...or did they give them waffles but no toaster to cook them in?

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 June 08, 22:24:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Waffles go in the oven. Yeah. I know. Kills me, because I use my toaster every other day and my microwave maybe once a week, yet we always have microwaves and no toasters in the game.

Oh, and P&L for having trouble running an 8-sim household including 4 adults. I see your 4YA/2T/2C, and raise you a 2A/2C/3Tod/1B.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 June 08, 23:18:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You win. I'd have to kill someone or rather some sim...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: