More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 14:55:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Facts & Strategery
| | |-+  Gardening and fertilizing
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Gardening and fertilizing  (Read 123010 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Gardening and fertilizing
« Reply #100 on: 2009 July 11, 03:27:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe they stack.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2009 July 19, 14:30:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been reading this thread with interest as I was researching fertilizing.

However I now feel compelled to report that I have also been able to revive Death Plants at least 3 times. The sim in question is Green Thumb, Super Green Thumb and has Level 10 Gardening Skill.

I don't know anything about Xml codes or whatever I can only tell you what happened in my game.
FrickinIdjit
Corpulent Cretin

ENTJ

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2009 July 19, 19:07:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What percentage of attempts does that represent, Holly?  My sim - with the same trait, skill, and perk - is running at 50% success.
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2009 July 19, 21:22:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

4 tries, 3 of which are succesful, and the fourth that kills the plant completely. That, as far as my math goes, is a succesrate of 75%.

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
fatkitty
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2009 July 19, 23:06:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sim who also has green thumb, super green thumb as is a level 10 gardener has always been able to revive the death plant once.  Second try and it dies.  This is out of about 100 death plants thus far.
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2009 July 22, 18:08:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sim in question has never failed to revive the Death Plant. I'd guess that is just dumb luck

He had 4 plants that he did 3 times. After that I got bored and deleted the plants.
DentedLemons
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2009 July 22, 22:41:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never, ever had a Death Plant revive more than once either. Gotta be up around 60 of them by now.

I grow them now just to see if they'll revive more than once :p
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2009 July 23, 02:53:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Death Plants can't revive more than once, because they are set to produce one death flower, then die. If resurrected, they can produce one MORE death flower, but then they go barren, which is like "All Dead", whereas the first time it was just "Mostly Dead".

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Aaroc
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2009 July 23, 05:29:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado, you might want to inform my game about that then, because I've had one of my sims revive one twice and had the option to revive it a third time, but I just deleted it because he had already harvested quite enough death flowers for each member of the household. Not that they really needed it or anything though, since you really have to try to get an 'accidental' death, thus making death flowers overall pretty useless.
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2009 July 23, 05:54:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had multiple revivals on them too. I know it is linked to trait GreenThumb, but there must be some other variable because this has not happened to all Sims with GreenThumb, only some. Maybe is bug?

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
Aaroc
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2009 July 24, 05:47:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe is bug?

That's about what I'm thinking.
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2009 July 29, 00:56:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't see this mentioned in this thread, and I did a search and didn't find anything specifically addressing this elsewhere, so hopefully this isn't a repeat of something similar that's already been already posted.

The other day I was sorting through the seeds in a Sim's inventory, and when I grabbed one I noticed that the money symbol next to the pics of her inventory said §37. I took that one out and put it on the ground, since you can't see how much a seed is worth until you grab it and look at the money symbol. The next one I grabbed from the stack in her inventory was worth §27. So then I began to wonder if the price of the seed affected the type and/or quality of the produce grown and I started taking all the seeds out of her inventory (and she had a lot of them) and laying them out on the ground so I could see what they were all worth (yeah, rly - don't ask me why I started doing this tedious task; I think my Sim was painting, I was bored, and I decided to have her plant something after she finished). I started working on the Special seeds and after pulling out a few more seeds priced at §27 dollars, the next one I grabbed was worth …choke… §12,000!!! Holy Schmoly! Another one after that was worth §9,000. The next day I sent her seed hunting again with the Collection Finder and she ended up with 2 more Special seeds worth §15,000 each and 3 seeds priced at §20,000!!! By golly the Sim girl is rich! She's a level 10 gardener with the green thumb trait and the green thumb perk and is doing a hell of a lot better financially than her Rock Star husband, who only brings in a measly few thousand simoleans a week (for a Rock Star! - how lame is that?!). Altogether, not even counting the seeds worth less than 6,600k, she could have sold them and had around §129,000. Amazing! Yet another way to get rich, it seems. Oh, and I think most of them came from the area around the Science Building. I'll have to experiment with where the higher priced seeds are found, too, to see if there is any relationship there.

I didn't sell any of them right away, though, I just left them lying on the ground near their garden. One strange thing I noticed is that when I grabbed them again to move them a few hours later, all three 20k seeds were suddenly only worth 18k and the two 15k seeds were now worth 13,500. The other higher priced seeds didn't change (two at 9k and one at 6,600.) Tonight when I checked them again, the seeds are now worth 16k and 12k. Is this a feature or a bug? Too early to tell, really. <shrugs>

But back to my original thought: does seed price = quality and/or type of plant? Since she's got so many gardening perks and quality can be affected by fertilizer etc., I figured it wasn't likely that I could see any connections between quality and seed price, but there are several types of plants possible for each classification (Uncommon, Rare, and Special), so I wondered, is each type represented by a certain priced seed? So far I have planted 5 uncommon seeds, all worth §27 and they are all lime trees except for two watermelon plants (unless those were errors on my part and different seeds slipped in there, but I don't think so). (Just FYI, four limes are great quality and two are very nice; I don't know yet about the watermelons.) Tonight I planted one of the most expensive seeds and finally decided to sell one of them before risking that they go down further in price. My family has been sinking all their cash into building their beautiful legacy home overlooking the ocean (and there's still work to do on it!) and they didn't even have a car yet - thanks to that no good Rocker hubby who can't seem to get any lucrative record deals at all.  Tongue

Anyone else found anything from experimenting with something similar to this? I'll keep experimenting with the seeds that I have and update my post with results, for anyone who might be interested.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2009 July 29, 03:09:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I started taking all the seeds out of her inventory (and she had a lot of them) and laying them out on the ground so I could see what they were all worth
There's an easier way.  If you have a stack of anything, seeds, vegetables, food, whatever, you can click on the triangle in the upper left corner of the inventory icon.  You'll open up a new window where you can examine each item in the stack individually.

Items are always sorted by quality in this window, with the highest quality items first.  This makes it easy to select the highest or lowest quality items (depending on what you want to do) - just pick the first or last items in the window.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2009 July 29, 22:01:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I started taking all the seeds out of her inventory (and she had a lot of them) and laying them out on the ground so I could see what they were all worth
There's an easier way.  If you have a stack of anything, seeds, vegetables, food, whatever, you can click on the triangle in the upper left corner of the inventory icon.  You'll open up a new window where you can examine each item in the stack individually.

Items are always sorted by quality in this window, with the highest quality items first.  This makes it easy to select the highest or lowest quality items (depending on what you want to do) - just pick the first or last items in the window.

- Gus

Thanks for this. I knew I could click the triangle and drag all the items wherever I wanted, but I wasn't aware of that window thingy.

Have you (or anyone else) found seeds this valuable? Is this a reflection of having a level 10 gardener with green thumb trait + perk, is this pretty common, or is is common once a certain level of gardening is reached? I guess I had never paid much attention before this to the value of the seeds, so I have no idea if this is unusal or not. But I about fell outta my chair when I came across that first seed worth 12k!
fatkitty
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2009 July 30, 04:53:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll have to check the seeds out next time I play.  My sim is level 10+green thumb+super green thumb and her husband is only at level 6, without the trait or perk.  I'll have them both collect seeds and see how much they are worth.
I've never paid any attention before.  I always plant the special seeds and sell (in one fell swoop) the rare, uncommon, etc...  Anything but the special seeds end up messing with the fishing bait list anyways so I never keep them.
Heinel
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: 2009 July 30, 05:22:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado, you might want to inform my game about that then, because I've had one of my sims revive one twice and had the option to revive it a third time, but I just deleted it because he had already harvested quite enough death flowers for each member of the household. Not that they really needed it or anything though, since you really have to try to get an 'accidental' death, thus making death flowers overall pretty useless.

You might have an xml hack that modified the number of harvest for death plant, probably, or your game is bugged.
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2009 August 01, 14:04:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You might have an xml hack that modified the number of harvest for death plant, probably, or your game is bugged.

I can't speak for Aaroc but the only cc in my game (and I mean ONLY) is Awesomemod, and I had the chance to revive a 4th time (but didn't--same reason as Aaroc). I understand that the wise ones who know programming are saying that's not possible, so... probably it's a bug?  Undecided

INTP.
Mental Hobbit
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2009 September 12, 03:18:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a simple way to find out both type and quality of uncommon and rare seeds by exploiting a flaw in the "choose bait"-dialog for fishing. If a sim has both fruit and seed of the same plant in his inventory, only the seed will appear as a bait.

So if your sim has a heap of uncommon seeds in his inventory, and you want to plant only the best one of each of the four possible types of fruit, do the following:

Dig a tiny water hole somewhere on your lot.
Make sure your sim has (at least) one piece of each uncommon fruit in his inventory.
Grab the entire stack of uncommon seeds (the trinagle corner) and lay them out on the ground in a line from left to right. Now you have the most valuable seeds (by §§) on the left end.
Put the leftmost seed in inventory. Hover over the water hole to bring up the "choose bait" dialog. Scroll to the seed to read it's quality. Now check which of the four uncommon fruit is not offered as a bait. That's the type of your seed. Take that seed out of inventory and put it somewhere else for later planting.
Put the next seed from the left of your line in inventory and repeat. If it's the same type of plant, sell it, otherwise put it away for planting.
Repeat until you've found one seed of each plant.
Now you can sell all other seeds, as they are lower quality than  the four you sorted out.

The same method works for rare seeds too.

HazelEyes
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2009 September 12, 09:13:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are death flowers always perfect? My observation has been that they are, and I assumed this was because they're not ingredients and can't change the quality of food, but my sample size is pretty small.
Mental Hobbit
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2009 September 12, 09:52:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sample size is pretty big, and I've never seen a less than perfect death flower either. So I guess they're always perfect.
LVRugger
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2009 September 12, 09:57:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a simple way to find out both type and quality of uncommon and rare seeds by exploiting a flaw in the "choose bait"-dialog for fishing. If a sim has both fruit and seed of the same plant in his inventory, only the seed will appear as a bait.

That's an awful lot of work for something you can already plant. If you have the fruit, you don't need the seeds. Getting a Green Thumb gardener to plant the fruit and you will get a better quality plant. A few generations of this and you'll have perfect plants. Unknown seeds are useless after you get one of each plant.
Mental Hobbit
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2009 September 12, 10:15:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's an awful lot of work for something you can already plant.

Actually it's about two minutes realtime, saving your sim many, many hours wasted for tending several generations of slow growing plants. Maybe it sounds more complicated than it is.
michaelrym
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2009 September 25, 18:34:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With the exception of the money tree (which you can tell because of the icon that shows up as soon as the mystery seed is in the growing state), you can't really tell what any of them are until they're mature.

That's not quite true. There are 4 special plants, and you can tell all of them apart as soon as they sprout. As you pointed out, the money tree sprout is very distinct; so is the flame fruit, it's the only ground-hugging plant of the four specials. That leaves two stake plants - the death flower and the life fruit. You can identify the life fruit plant because it starts to wilt the moment it's planted, just like the money tree. But of course the plant sprout is different.

What I do is move all wilt-upon-planting specials into a single row. All the stake plants in that row will be life fruit plants. I keep those, and destroy the money trees (I allow myself just one. The game throws so much money at one that it gets boring).

You might have well found this one out in the meantime, as this is an old thread. If so, my apologies for boring you. Well, maybe I'll throw in another tip, hopefully useful: If you want plants and trees that never turn barren, plant them, nurture them to the harvest stage, and move out to a new home. I've been harvesting life fruit like that at my old address in my current game for something like 6 weeks now - one needs a constant supply of those things and repeatedly planting them gets tedious.

Life kills.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2009 September 25, 23:16:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are death flowers always perfect? My observation has been that they are, and I assumed this was because they're not ingredients and can't change the quality of food, but my sample size is pretty small.
My sample size is pretty big, and I've never seen a less than perfect death flower either. So I guess they're always perfect.
Death Flowers are SUPPOSED to always be perfect, but occasionally a bug will generate one of lesser quality.

michaelrym
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2009 September 26, 01:40:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Death Flowers are SUPPOSED to always be perfect, but occasionally a bug will generate one of lesser quality.

Interesting. Whenever I grow a death flower from a seed found fishing, it's Normal quality.  Happened about a dozen times so far.

Life kills.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: