More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 16:13:16

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Stupid Opportuni-teez
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Stupid Opportuni-teez  (Read 9666 times)
Nimrod
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Stupid Opportuni-teez
« on: 2009 June 13, 05:25:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I'll admit that at first, the opportunities were great.  Easy money, skills and relationships.  Now, I find that the opportunities get in the way of my current goals.  What's more, it is if the game gets pissed when I cancel them out over and over, so it throws multiple opportunities for all household sims in succession.  Currently, every few sim days, I'm forced to cancel out as many as nine opportunites in a row.  And why does a previously played sim, who cooks nothing but perfect meals and even made and consumed ambrosia while I was away with another household, need frekkin' grilled hamburgers delivered to her?  Or, why does a master mechanic, who has upgraded everything ten times over, suddenly need his stereo repaired by some nOOb who has level one or two mechanical skill?  Where are the checks and balances?  HUH?

I'm really not enjoying such imposing gameplay.  There should be a switch to turn that crap off, with the exception of real skill reward opportunities like for gardening.  As it is, I must continually babysit the game when all I want to do is let it run highspeed to pass specific time, like time off, as I do other real stuff like housekeeping, cooking or running a quick errand, to name a few.  Perhaps if a certain someone(s) could get this mess under control, then another certain someones would follow suite. 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Stupid Opportuni-teez
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 13, 08:31:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the opposite sensation of desiring more quests, but I will look into it. I mean, YAY, A QUEST! Now if only the GOOD ones would show up more.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 13, 11:37:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the opposite sensation of desiring more quests, but I will look into it. I mean, YAY, A QUEST! Now if only the GOOD ones would show up more.

I am also a slave-driving puppetmaster, and rarely get any opportunities...possibly because my Sims skill up faster than opportunities generate. I have been gardener lvl 10 for several Simweeks and have yet to get the Omni Plant Challenge from the stupid cafe. Anyway, I'd like MOAR opportunities.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 13, 12:25:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My vote is for more as well.  Though I have yet to play a big household, because I just don't have the patience for that kind of micromanaging.
simsdesperado
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 13, 12:50:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am also a slave-driving puppetmaster, and rarely get any opportunities...possibly because my Sims skill up faster than opportunities generate. I have been gardener lvl 10 for several Simweeks and have yet to get the Omni Plant Challenge from the stupid cafe. Anyway, I'd like MOAR opportunities.

I think you need to first plant using the omni plant from the science center. My sim did that and right afterwards got the challenge for the seeds.
Anyway, in my game the opportunities have been few and can't say that they bother me much. Except when this old fella got an opportunity from the stadium that he's got talent and that he should skill up. Or when my loner sim got an opportunity to befirend some rich old guy to improve charisma. They are weird and I agree with the OP that I could easily do without them.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 13, 12:57:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you need to first plant using the omni plant from the science center. My sim did that and right afterwards got the challenge for the seeds.

Coincidence.  Not true.

Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 13, 13:09:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't like the way the opportunities show up at random and with to apparent reason; they're more often in the way instead of an interesting variation to the boring routine.
I would prefer that you may actively search for them, do something to trigger them, like when you explore the catacombs (oh, surprise, a dungeon!) and have the opportunity to find something interesting and useful.
As for now, it seems to me they're more an annoyance that interrupts your gameplay.

Example: If I want to "resurrect" a ghost, I could first go to the Science Lab and ask, then they tell me they need <this and that> to perform the experiment. E.g. you might have to find a specific rock/metal/bug + persuade a specific sim you haven't met yet (so you also have to search for him) to give you something else + whatever, and then - when you have everything they asked for - return to the Lab and finish the quest.
Now, THAT would be an interesting and entertaining quest; those we have now are lame :/.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 13, 13:12:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have stupidly been playing an eight person household as I rolled to let one of the parents get their lifetime wish of 5 kids. The repetitive nature of the quests gets tiresome quite quickly. As there are 5 kids, a new opportunity e.g. to deliver a fish to the science facility, deliver permission notes, attend a free game, work for a day and fix the school boiler pops up every 2-3 days per child. In itself that wouldn't be so bad but the quests overlap so if you choose to accept all of them, it is difficult to maintain grades and up-skill. Quests for adults & elders are not so bad as there is much more variety.

It would be nice if there could be some kind of cap per family e.g. no more than 3 opportunities offered/in the stages of being met at any given time.
Domino
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 June 13, 13:35:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do kids get skill-related opportunities? Mine only get "clean the bugcage" type opportunities, so I would like maybe less frequency amongst kids opportunities, but more variety. The ability to create your own opportunities (much like creating chance-cards for careers in TS2) would be good, although it will probably be a while until that is available to us.
Fikcija
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 June 13, 13:57:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would like opportunities to come up more often. Or at least some of them. Like the "make a playable ghost" one? It would be great not to wait a whole sim's lifetime to get that one.

I know I don't have an evil twin, because I'm the evil one.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 June 13, 14:07:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do kids get skill-related opportunities? Mine only get "clean the bugcage" type opportunities, so I would like maybe less frequency amongst kids opportunities, but more variety. The ability to create your own opportunities (much like creating chance-cards for careers in TS2) would be good, although it will probably be a while until that is available to us.
Actually, the ability to create your own quests already exists now. The PROBLEM is that in addition to being a writer, you have to be a Real Programmer to implement it, and a passable Game Designer to make sure it is balanced. Getting the combined intersection of these skillsets is Not Easy.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Domino
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 June 13, 14:24:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, can I rephrase? The ability for us simple gamers to make our own opportunities, which I realise is likely to take a while. Tongue
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 June 13, 14:33:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, can I rephrase? The ability for us simple gamers to make our own opportunities, which I realise is likely to take a while. Tongue
Will never happen.

Nimrod
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 June 13, 15:56:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mr. Presidente, I gratefully thank you for any time that you spend on this issue.  And all of the other issues you crush with that programmer's bat of yours, many thanks.  THA BAT!

More quality and proper opportunities sounds good to me as well.  I understand the "enrichment" qualities they're trying to provide.  What gets me is that there are no real checks and balances with who needs what done. 

Maybe that's too much to ask presently, but damn, why does an honor role student consistently get offers to up their grade when it's useless?  Let's see, a rich sim, maxed at job and max skills in everything; why does that sim need an opportunity to do mediocre tasks for chump change, unless the SimGod(ess) desires such by turning the option on?  And other such nonsense I'm sure people have noticed. 

If I were playing with aging on at normal lifespan, perhaps this wouldn't even be an issue.  I haven't gotten the neighborhood setup to let it freely roll though, spending sim weeks in each household.  And even when I get to that point, babysitting will be an aggravating requirement when what I'll want to do is let the game run for hours or days, just to see what happens.  At least this time around, the sims seem mostly able to keep themselves alive.  WooHoo!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 June 13, 16:06:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, they're better at keeping themselves alive and not peeing on themselves because the motive-moodlets automatically push a "solve" action, akin to the way Macrotastics functioned, only not as good. Essentially, the default autonomy AI is now backgrounded to the semi-heuristic that kicks in....which is really what I already did in TS2. Tongue

Nimrod
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 June 13, 16:10:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right.  And it seems that a certain someones followed suite on that one too!  HAHA.  They should pay you for keeping the franchise alive.  Kiss
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 June 13, 17:39:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

More quests! I love them. This was one of the major features advertised for TS3, and one I always wanted. My families tend to get them in multiples at the same time. I'll go from no opportunities to having six over four sims in one day. That, coupled with the opportunistic lifetime reward resulted in my making $210k in two days on my artist sim.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: