More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 00:58:11

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Baby name from Hell
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Baby name from Hell  (Read 14500 times)
KarateKari
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Baby name from Hell
« on: 2009 June 22, 02:22:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I was putzing around in the neighborhood checking out the spawn when I discovered a toddler who caused the game to hang every time I moused over her and displayed an enormous series of asterisks instead of a legitimate name.

Thinking I was being quite clever, I sent her mom off to City Hall to change the little brat's name (her thumbnail wouldn't even show up in the "Change Name" box, but I clicked the empty space and apparently selected her.)  So ma heads into the building and I get this popup:

I can't get to the part of the dialogue box that allows one to enter a new name because her current bizarro name is so long that it heads offscreen in both directions.  I had to kill the game because I couldn't exit the change name dialogue.

I'm using Awesomemod and a few xml hacks (just these four).  I do have the No Duplicate Names option enabled in Awesomemod - any chance that's the culprit?

Also, anyone have a thought on how to fix this name so that the little twerp doesn't continue to bork my game?
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
Re: Baby name from Hell
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 22, 02:27:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wonder if "editsim" would help? It might hang for a while, but eventually get to the CAS screen. Just a suggestion.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
infamy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 22, 02:30:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you downloaded the most recent Awesome Mod?  Not this morning's, but the one from this afternoon.  I had that happen to me, but while I was trying to reproduce it, the mod was updated so I updated mine (why try to reproduce an error with an outdated mod?) and Sims seem to be getting sane names again.

Edit: To answer your actual question:  Editsim will allow you to fix it, and loading into CAS doesn't even take that long.  In CAS the name will just show up as a manageable ***** ***** ***** and changes seem to be permanent.
KarateKari
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 22, 02:32:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you downloaded the most recent Awesome Mod?  Not this morning's, but the one from this afternoon.  I had that happen to me, but while I was trying to reproduce it, the mod was updated so I updated mine (why try to reproduce an error with an outdated mod?) and Sims seem to be getting sane names again.

I'm about to install the newest version and see what happens.

I'm assuming it won't fix names that are already borked, though...?
KarateKari
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 22, 02:49:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know why I didn't think of stuffing her back through CAS.  Asteriskateriskasterisknumbernumbernumber (now renamed Lizbet) thanks you both.
ForkInToaster
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 July 02, 06:56:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just got a baby name from hell born in my town. I saw it because I had the option to be informed about storymode happenings.  This baby is somewhere in my town and I have no idea where it is or how to find it. Will this big nasty name cause my game troubles if my sims don't encounter the child?  As soon as I actually see the kid, I will use editsim. But I wanted to know if the star named kid will cause meltdowns just by existing in the game.I'm thinking the 1 AM updates are going to get really really really nasty.. unless I find this kid.

Ugh. Nevermind. I was unable to save the game. The game paused when it announced the birth of this creature and I couldn't unpause the game because the text box was in the way. I'm still interested to know if anyone knows a good way to find rogue babies with bad names without actually searching each house in the neighborhood.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 July 02, 06:58:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, the new sims 3 challenge. Find that buggy name before storymode kicks in. This should be in the challenges thread.  Cheesy

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
VJay
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 July 02, 08:59:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got that borked baby in Riverview, I tracked it and I deleted it. I had no other choices, it was messing up my game.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 July 02, 10:50:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, the new sims 3 challenge. Find that buggy name before storymode kicks in. This should be in the challenges thread.  Cheesy

LOL. I suspect Pescado will fiddle with this and auto-rename all Asterisk Tsunami Babbyz "Trogdor Burninator" (boys) and "Delishus Caek" (girls).

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 July 02, 11:20:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you can't see the checkmark in a dialog box for some reason, just hit Enter or Escape.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 July 02, 22:30:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Man! That is worse than when my daughter named her Sims 2 family's twins "Baby Lugnut", and "Baby Nutlug"

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
GeorgiaPeanuts
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 July 03, 07:58:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only thing close was when I had a cut gem in my inventory and when in jail they referred to it with ***(bunch of numbers)*** but it was nowhere as long although it did lag to display that popup.
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 July 05, 17:14:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suspect Pescado will fiddle with this and auto-rename all Asterisk Tsunami Babbyz "Trogdor Burninator" (boys) and "Delishus Caek" (girls).
Oh, that's it - my first Rock Star *will* be naming her/his firstborn "Asterisk Tsunami".

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 July 05, 18:35:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suspect Pescado will fiddle with this and auto-rename all Asterisk Tsunami Babbyz "Trogdor Burninator" (boys) and "Delishus Caek" (girls).
Oh, that's it - my first Rock Star *will* be naming her/his firstborn "Asterisk Tsunami".
Secondborn shall be Rabbithole Mausoleum.

I will fuck up your face in Denmark! COME! you also seem to be a flock of crapped nerds! COME! [...] That one goes to all of those retarrds that pretend to be a non-fag and yet suck my balls
Soretta
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 July 07, 00:00:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've found with babies named *** (bunch of numbers) you can edit their name even if they're not in your household.  So long as you know their last name, typing 'editsim *** lastname' into the cheat window will bring them up in CAS.
Yecats
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 July 07, 06:18:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have to type in ALL the *'s or just 3?

Unless there is more than one child of doom, the offending sprog is the Alto child.
At least it is in my game.

ENTP = Mad Scientist.  Muwaahaahaa.
Soretta
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 July 07, 12:05:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just the three stars, it worked with my game.  In the end I had about three or four sims affected by this (I picked it up pretty fast since I took advantage of the awesome and went around my neighbourhood to ensure the next generation)
caitlyn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 July 07, 17:02:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an offending STAR child in my neighborhood, but I don't know how to select her.  Two of my generations have now met her at school, so she is not aging.  I've never seen her walking around the neighborhood.  She is just in their relationship panel and when they meet her it says, "Jane has met ***.***.***(etc) at school today."  Jane can't invite the friend over, so that I can select her and I don't know how to find her.  I'm usually pretty computer savy, but this has me stumped.  Inviting her on the phone causes the game to crash and the only option is to reboot.  Any suggestions on how I can find this child to nuke her?

Not all those who wander are lost.
--J R R Tolkien
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 July 07, 17:54:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an offending STAR child in my neighborhood, but I don't know how to select her.  Two of my generations have now met her at school, so she is not aging.  I've never seen her walking around the neighborhood.  She is just in their relationship panel and when they meet her it says, "Jane has met ***.***.***(etc) at school today."  Jane can't invite the friend over, so that I can select her and I don't know how to find her.  I'm usually pretty computer savy, but this has me stumped.  Inviting her on the phone causes the game to crash and the only option is to reboot.  Any suggestions on how I can find this child to nuke her?

So long as you know their last name, typing 'editsim *** lastname' into the cheat window will bring them up in CAS.

Have AwesomeMod use editsim. If your sims have met the child, shouldn't they have knowledge of their last name? Or is that shoved off the screen somewhere?

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 July 07, 18:11:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's shoved off the screen.

Go to the relationship panel. Prepare to wait for a bit. Find the child and click on her portrait. Choose "Invite Over". You'll probably need to drag the relationship bar up to friend the freak will accept. Then, when she's over, you can either cheat to move her in (CTRL-SHIFT on her) or do editsim on her. You should be able to see her last name on mouseover in the font used there, but I suppose it depends on what resolution your game is at.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 July 07, 23:12:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It also works if you ctrl-shift-click on it (i.e. move cursor on sim, wait for 6 months for the tooltip with the name, then ctrl-shift-click), then choose "Edit in CAS". Its name will be truncated in the name field, and you can edit easily the bugger.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
caitlyn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 July 08, 10:02:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I kept calling the offending child till my sim had a high enough relationship that she could invite her over.  I added her to the household, changed her name, then kicked her out.

Even though the girl showed she never aged in the relationship panel, when she arrived to visit, she had grown into a teen.  It took me a moment to recognize her, but since my town is deserted, and since she was the only one that showed up at the theater when my sim invited someone over, it didn't take too long to figure out what happened.

Not all those who wander are lost.
--J R R Tolkien
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: