More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 19:48:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Facts & Strategery
| | |-+  The Launcher And You: Why You Should Hate It
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Launcher And You: Why You Should Hate It  (Read 48339 times)
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
Re: The Launcher And You: Why You Should Hate It
« Reply #25 on: 2009 June 11, 17:10:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyone got a workaround to obtain lots from the exchange, but use 3viewer to install them?
I'm using the method of putting this in the address bar

sims3://download/?assetId=xxxx

but this automatically opens the launcher....

This seems to be a fine solution.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Billmonaghan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 2009 June 11, 20:58:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: J. M. Pescado
... it jams all of the files into single large files in the "DCCache" folder, and strews additional, completely useless copies of files inside the "DCBackup" folder....

What are the full paths of the DCCache and DCBackup folders? I would like to check them to see if I have useless crap strewn about, but I can't seem to locate them in either Documents or Program Files.

Also, what is the full path of the SavedSim folder? I'm not seeing it in My Documents, Electronic Arts, The Sims 3, etc. Is it supposed to be there, or somewhere else?

They're in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3

"Ah yes, we were in the HimALLyas, had lost our corkscrew. Had to subsist for several days on nothing but water and food."
 --  W. C. Fields
WandersFar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009 June 12, 00:16:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have anything labeled "DCCache" or "DCBackup" or "SavedSim" in my Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 folder...

Is Pescado just referring to the various cache files or is there a specific folder called "DCCache" (et al) somewhere? A search of my C: drive brings up nothing, too.
Chain_Reaction
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009 June 12, 00:18:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You haven't installed any custom content clearly.
WandersFar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009 June 12, 00:40:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: Chain_Reaction
You haven't installed any custom content clearly.

Actually, I have. Here's my Packages folder (under Program Files):

I've tried to avoid using the launcher, if that's what you mean. (I've been experimenting with a combination of jfadetool, delphytool, and s3rc.) Do these folders not exist if you haven't used the launcher?

Chain_Reaction
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 June 12, 00:51:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do these folders not exist if you haven't used the launcher?

Ask yourself this question: What's the title of this thread?
WandersFar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 June 12, 01:00:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Chain Reaction, if you have nothing useful to contribute, feel free to fuck off and let those more knowledgable than you speak.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009 June 12, 07:31:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do these folders not exist if you haven't used the launcher?

Ask yourself this question: What's the title of this thread?

Well put.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009 June 12, 10:24:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Note about the Mac: in the retail version there's apparently no way to avoid the launcher.
The binaries which launch the game have changed in the final release. In the Reloaded version there were three of them: cider, cider_noui and Sims3-Launcher; in the retail version the *Launcher one is missing.
If, in Reloaded, I launch cider from the terminal, it loads TS3.exe directly; if I do the same in retail, it loads the launcher. Cider_noui, despite its name, seems to not have any difference in the way it operates.

On a side note, in Mac there isn't a specific download manager anywhere, and I suspect it's rolled in the Launcher itself - if you don't apply the official patch the Launcher it is not able to download and install anything, so apparently they included this feature in the patch.

I don't know at the present moment how to manage this crap. I tried renaming TS3.exe in Sims3 launcher etc, but it doesn't seem to work.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009 June 12, 16:24:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Note about the Mac: in the retail version there's apparently no way to avoid the launcher.
The binaries which launch the game have changed in the final release. In the Reloaded version there were three of them: cider, cider_noui and Sims3-Launcher; in the retail version the *Launcher one is missing.
If, in Reloaded, I launch cider from the terminal, it loads TS3.exe directly; if I do the same in retail, it loads the launcher. Cider_noui, despite its name, seems to not have any difference in the way it operates.

On a side note, in Mac there isn't a specific download manager anywhere, and I suspect it's rolled in the Launcher itself - if you don't apply the official patch the Launcher it is not able to download and install anything, so apparently they included this feature in the patch.

I don't know at the present moment how to manage this crap. I tried renaming TS3.exe in Sims3 launcher etc, but it doesn't seem to work.

Damn. Does Mac version of the launcher involve Securom, then? I haven't been able to get around the launcher yet, either.

I sing along with elevator music.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009 June 12, 16:48:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Damn. Does Mac version of the launcher involve Securom, then? I haven't been able to get around the launcher yet, either.

No idea.
Fiddling with the preferences files I found this: (in the end of user.reg)

Code:
[Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Multimedia\\MIDIMap] 1122403520
"AutoScheme"=dword:00000000
"CurrentInstrument"="#0"
"UseScheme"=dword:00000000

[Software\\SecuROM] 1242916878

And a SecuROM folder, too inside the p_drive folder, which contains the preferences for the wine port. The folder is truly empty, but still I don't like this shit at all.

------
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 June 12, 17:09:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm. I'm not sure why, but the end of my user. reg doesn't have the Securom line. It looks like this:

[Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Multimedia\\MIDIMap] 1122403520
"AutoScheme"=dword:00000000
"CurrentInstrument"="#0"
"UseScheme"=dword:00000000

As far as I could tell, the Application Data folder was empty as well. However, I haven't been able to circumvent the launcher yet, so I'm not sure if something nefarious is just being very sneaky.

I sing along with elevator music.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 June 12, 20:04:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm almost sure that before installing the retail I got rid of every piece of plist/prefs/crap the reloaded vers. spawned around, but at this point I'm in doubt. In this case, seen that you don't have any entry of SecuROM, that's good news.

------
Chain_Reaction
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009 June 14, 09:38:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Chain Reaction, if you have nothing useful to contribute, feel free to fuck off and let those more knowledgable than you speak.

Aww, look everyone! It's butt hurt! I just want to hug and pet it and then show it the fucking door! What do you expect when you ask that question you did in a thread titled "The Launcher And You: Why You Should Hate It"? It's "knowledgeable", by the way, but I wouldn't expect you to know how to spell any words pertaining to having an education. Now run along and keep looking for folders that don't exist because you haven't used the thing to create them. Dumbass.
edalbformat
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009 June 23, 07:54:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

New beginner question: where and what is the file I should shortcut to skip the launcher. I have already something to stop the initial video and have no sound play, but my screen always start from the launcher. I have no use for it, my computer has no internet connection - and will never have.
Second beginner question: is it possible to download a full version of the Java whatever, required to launch some in development TS3 tools? I downloaded something linked from here and got a launcher to connect to internet - I can't.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009 June 23, 07:58:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

New beginner question: where and what is the file I should shortcut to skip the launcher.

It's the TS3.exe, in the same folder of the launcher.

Second beginner question: is it possible to download a full version of the Java whatever, required to launch some in development TS3 tools? I downloaded something linked from here and got a launcher to connect to internet - I can't.

Java

------
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: