More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 15:05:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Might be helpfull for people with overheating issues. Frame rate limiter
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Might be helpfull for people with overheating issues. Frame rate limiter  (Read 68681 times)
Shazaam
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Might be helpfull for people with overheating issues. Frame rate limiter
« Reply #25 on: 2009 June 05, 17:26:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This FPS limiter is very useful. I solve the overheat problem with TS3, the game run very smooth and rarely to crash now. I made a batch file for it.

I'm very recommend to use this program as soon as possible. Since overheat can break your video card, or have short lifetime.

Does anyone know FPS limiter work for DirectX 10 games?

Brick_town
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009 June 06, 20:08:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game runs fine at points but sometimes it seems jolty if you understand what i'm saying how can i make the game rum smoother? I have used this to reduce the FPS what else would you suggest?

I think I'm lost!
simcandy
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009 June 10, 02:21:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh I am having problems with TS3 crashing during game play, I was directed to this website for (ahem) assistance? After searching through the various threads(?) I found this one on FPS limiter. This sounds as if it could help my situation. However, I need help from those of you that know the ins and outs on how to use the fps limiter 0.02. (this is said with a little embarassment as I will probably have someone poke fun at my request) I am not a wiz at computers and their programming, but I can work my way through things with a decent explanation. Just as a note I am new to this website as far as posting goes, I have been around the sims communities since The sims 1. I just don't talk much, I would rather appreciate the efforts of those greater than I and thank them for those efforts. (no I won't kiss the ground you walk on nor your feet, a hearty thank you should suffice) So, if someone would be willing to post a short walk through on fps limiter 0.2 so that I can utilize it and hopefully keep my game from crashing until a decent patch comes out of EA. (this last bit is said with great sarcasm)
I think specifically I would need information on the settings, what to choose--D3D9 or  OGL or D3D8.
Then what name to enter?  in name area
Then would the path be  where I installed it to? 
What maximum fps would I use?
  What does logging, OSD, and create bat do?
and in the end what do I do with the end result?
 I used babelfish to translate the German in the read me file, But the English translation may as well have been German also for all the help it gave me. this may be a long post, but aI am a babyboomer with a lot of questions. LOL
Thank you to the brave person that responds to this.
Simcandy
Interfection
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009 June 10, 03:15:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

simcandy, hopefully this will help.  It sounds like you're making things way too complicated.  What I did was this:

1) Run FPS_Limiter_GUI.
2) Hit the search executable button.
3) Navigate to the folder where Sims 3 is installed.  If you're on a PC, it should either be C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe or C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe if you have a 64-bit version of Windows.
4) Leave the fps at 30 for starters.  You can always change it later if you'd like to use a higher setting.
5) Click the create bat button.
6) A file called TS3.exe.limited.bat should show up in the folder of FPS_Limiter_GUI.  Move this wherever you'd like (i.e. your desktop) and use it to run The Sims 3 instead of any previously existing shortcut.

If you need more help, feel free to PM me.  By the way, I left my settings on D3D9, and didn't touch logging or OSD.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 10, 03:22:05 by Interfection » Logged
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009 June 10, 07:38:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think specifically I would need information on the settings

Interfection gave you good basics.  Here's some extra info if you really care, but you don't need to know to get it to work.

I suspect TS3 will only run with the DirectX9 (the other two choices are DirectX8 and OpenGL).  I'm not certain.

Max FPS 30 default is cool.  First of all, the idea is to prevent unnecessary massive card stress.  Highest I've seen in Sims3 is 185 and it doesn't need to do that for what is practically a still image.  Some will say humans cannot see faster than 70 fps.  In my experience, few people are as fickle as I am as I do not like to tolerate < 35 fps.  Nonetheless, My usual rate for this game is around, uh 14.  (Kill me now.)  Hey, that makes me mad now that I think about it.  I usually had 25 in Oblivion, iirc.  (ramblongne)

OSD is On Screen Display.  In this case, you will get a large number in the upper left corner of your screen showing the current FPS.  In general, I would not bother with it.  (In practice, you don't need a neon digit to tell you when it's freaking slow as shit.)

Have fun.
Lonesome Dove
Asinine Airhead

It's not my fault!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 June 10, 21:01:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried using this but nothing like what you're describing is happening.

If I click on the FPS_Limiter_GUI file, all I get is a listing of what's in the file. If I click on the FPS_Limiter file, I get a split-second black screen (the command screen, I assume) and again, nothing else happens. The other files in the .rar are four .dll files and a readme.txt, half of which is in German.

Have I deposited files somewhere, and if so, where are they? Totally lost here.
smark
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 June 10, 21:40:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried using this but nothing like what you're describing is happening.

If I click on the FPS_Limiter_GUI file, all I get is a listing of what's in the file. If I click on the FPS_Limiter file, I get a split-second black screen (the command screen, I assume) and again, nothing else happens. The other files in the .rar are four .dll files and a readme.txt, half of which is in German.

Have I deposited files somewhere, and if so, where are they? Totally lost here.

Go into your WinRar settings where it lists the file types handled by WinRar and make sure to uncheck the .jar file extension. You should then be able to click on the GUI file and bring it up. The GUI file is java and you don't want the java file to be handled as a WinRar archive.

Lonesome Dove
Asinine Airhead

It's not my fault!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009 June 10, 22:03:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have WinRar, I use 7-Zip. But I can't find any way to specify which file types it handles.
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009 June 10, 22:20:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But I can't find any way to specify which file types it handles.
Explanation.  The jar just creates a batch file to run FPS_Limiter.exe .  Your system isn't running java for your jar.  You don't need java to run the limiter anyhow.

To fix java:  Right click the jar, select "open with"...  Well, I don't know what to tell you here for certain.  Might reinstall java from sun to reset your settings to something normal.  Mine on XP is opening with "Java (TM) platform binary SE" or something.

To procede without:  Might be easiest just to edit the bat yourself.  here's mine (which, yes, is truely missing a double quote now that I look at it.  *shrug*)

Code:
start H:\"Downloads\Complete\TS3\FPS_Limiter_0.2\"FPS_Limiter.exe /r:D3D9 /f:35 /x:OFF /l:OFF "H:\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe

save as ineedadesriptivefilename.bat and doubleclick to start the limiter and thesims.

Just edit those two paths to what right for your system.  Hope I helped.  Editted for formatting and info.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 10, 22:28:25 by McCrea » Logged
Lonesome Dove
Asinine Airhead

It's not my fault!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009 June 10, 22:42:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

McCrea, thanks very much for your help, really I mean it, but I can't understand a single thing you said. What jar? Or .jar? Edit what bat, where and how? And I don't have an H drive.

Sorry to sound like such an asshat noob, but that's what I am.  Really, should I even bother with this? The game seems to be running okay, I just got concerned because people were saying how you could ruin your video card if it's overheating. How can I tell if I have a problem?
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009 June 10, 23:34:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry to sound like such an asshat noob, but that's what I am.

Ok, that's great.  It's better than trying to help someone who erroneously thinks they have a clue.   Grin  In turn, please excuse me for soundling like an asshat geek.

You mentioned "I click on the FPS_Limiter_GUI file".  That was the jar.  jar equals java.  The file name is FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar
Feel free to blame Microsoft Windows for hiding critical information by default.  I mean it.  Call up MS and tell them to suck it.  It helps to manage stress and maintain patience for the task at hand.

There's still 2 ways to do this.  Fix java.  Or create the batch file yourself.

Ok, I hope I don't die, but Let's try #1.  Fix java.  I hate to tell people to install stuff, but this is good for you, because what is happening now is not "normal".  When you double click FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar or any .jar filetype, something "significant" is supposed to happen.  Long story short, java is generally a fairly important computer supplement that "should" be on "every home computer".  Let's install Java.  (I'm not a java pro though, ahem)

I assume this huge link won't work  Smiley
Java SE Runtime Environment 6u14

If not:
  • go to http://java.sun.com/
  • select "downloads", then select "Java SE"
  • Takes us to a new page where you click "Download" for  "Java SE Runtime Environment:  JRE 6 Update 14".  that's the second item on this page.

Install that, and then I believe you should be able to double click FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar and be on the same page as the rest of us.

EDIT:
Goddamit, I am a fucking twit.  I didn't really read your whole post before auto-geek responding.
New answer:
No, it probably isn't worth your time to bother unless you want to learn.   Undecided
« Last Edit: 2009 June 10, 23:51:09 by McCrea » Logged
Lonesome Dove
Asinine Airhead

It's not my fault!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 June 11, 01:40:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry to sound like such an asshat noob, but that's what I am.

Ok, that's great.  It's better than trying to help someone who erroneously thinks they have a clue.   Grin  In turn, please excuse me for soundling like an asshat geek.

I'm ever grateful for the geeks of the world. They keep me from doing stupid things, and when I do stupid things anyway, they help me undo them.

You mentioned "I click on the FPS_Limiter_GUI file".  That was the jar.  jar equals java.  The file name is FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar

Oh, I see.

Feel free to blame Microsoft Windows for hiding critical information by default.  I mean it.  Call up MS and tell them to suck it.  It helps to manage stress and maintain patience for the task at hand.

Like it would do any good, on a par with complaining to EA about - well, about pretty much anything.

There's still 2 ways to do this.  Fix java.  Or create the batch file yourself.

Ok, I hope I don't die, but Let's try #1.  Fix java.  I hate to tell people to install stuff, but this is good for you, because what is happening now is not "normal".  When you double click FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar or any .jar filetype, something "significant" is supposed to happen.  Long story short, java is generally a fairly important computer supplement that "should" be on "every home computer".  Let's install Java.  (I'm not a java pro though, ahem)

I assume this huge link won't work  Smiley
Java SE Runtime Environment 6u14

If not:
  • go to http://java.sun.com/
  • select "downloads", then select "Java SE"
  • Takes us to a new page where you click "Download" for  "Java SE Runtime Environment:  JRE 6 Update 14".  that's the second item on this page.

Install that, and then I believe you should be able to double click FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar and be on the same page as the rest of us.

EDIT:
Goddamit, I am a fucking twit.  I didn't really read your whole post before auto-geek responding.
New answer:
No, it probably isn't worth your time to bother unless you want to learn.   Undecided

I do want to learn and I may try your advice at a later date, but if you don't think it's a priority at the moment I think I'll let it pass. I've got enough on my plate in RL right now, and anything that ain't broke can wait.

Many thanks anyway, I very much appreciate your time.
simcandy
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 June 11, 20:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you Interfection for you easy to follow instructions.  I see now what I did wrong in the first place. I used the sims 3 launcher.exe as my path instead and I didn't use it to start the game. (would duh! fit in here?) Both you and Mccrea were very helpful and 'kind' in you answers.
A big batch of THANK YOUS again

Mccrea  a big batch of THANK YOUS to you too. Both you and Interfection helped me tremendously. I am sorry it took me a while to  respond back to your replys, The dratted game confuddled my computer and I had to restore to an earlier point before I could do anything else. I am almost tempted to can it until maxis figures out their problems and sends out a patch. Like that will ever happen LOL
Simcandy

Moderator edit: double posting fixed, extraneous quoting removed
« Last Edit: 2009 June 11, 22:50:33 by BastDawn » Logged
Leopardlady
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009 September 01, 01:51:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK i am officially confused and having a really bad blonde moment.  I've read through almost this entire thread and my head now officially hurts.  First step...I downloaded the FPS thing.  I extracted it into a folder.  When I double click the FPS_Limiter_GUI thing it gives me this error: "Cannot find main class. Program will exit."  So then I started reading other posts and I have NO idea how to many this sucker work.  I just want my game to stop crashing...someone please help...please  Huh
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 2009 September 01, 05:49:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The easy way is to get the 3booter and fps plugin found here.

Xianah
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2009 September 18, 11:09:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been searching online myself, but come up empty so I thought I'd ask here.

I just installed this and everything went OK, clicked on the bat file - game starts up just fine... However there is a large bright green flashing numeral display in the upper left corner. I checked my FPS Limiter and I did not turn the OSD on and indeed the bat file is saying it's off.

Does anyone have any clues as to why its still there, its very intrusive. I would like to to use the FPS Limiter as my Nvidia GTX 260 card is new and is a whopper of a card and gets hot quickly, even with lots of cooling.

Thanks
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009 September 18, 16:27:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you get the green crud in the window when booting up, push F10.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Morphar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009 September 21, 21:21:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Push F11 to increase and push F12 to decrease FPS.  
Test to increase FPS above the default value of 30 and watch the difference.
I doubt you can see any difference at all.
« Last Edit: 2009 September 21, 21:41:49 by Morphar » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: