More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 07:40:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Important notice from the GRAMMAR POLICE. Plz read. This means you.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Important notice from the GRAMMAR POLICE. Plz read. This means you.  (Read 486795 times)
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
Re: Important notice from the GRAMMAR POLICE. Plz read. This means you.
« Reply #475 on: 2009 June 29, 00:00:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, the irony of some tard who can't punctuate complaining about nonstandard spelling. I think we need a rubber room for you people.

Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: 2009 June 29, 00:22:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

if we are talking grammar police , shouldn't plz be please?

It would lack sarcasm, in that case.

worse than that, it would imply intelligence.

Fuck me. For a 2 post person you're ARROGANT.

(Yes, I lack posts too but I know my place)

timelycorruption
Corpulent Cretin

INTP, Explorer/Killer

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: 2009 June 29, 01:07:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A rubber room in an asylum run by grammar cats.

It's not SUPPOSED to be happening, but it apparently is anyway!
gumba
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: 2009 June 29, 15:08:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No one will ever fuck you ugly shit, remember that.
Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: 2009 June 29, 15:19:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Was that supposed to be
No one will ever fuck you, ugly shit, remember that.
or
No one will ever fuck your ugly shit, remember that.
?

Speaking of shit, I've been wondering: what is more correct, 'one shit, two shits' or 'one piece of shit, two pieces of shit'?
« Last Edit: 2009 June 29, 15:25:54 by Tsarina » Logged

INEPT INTP
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: 2009 June 29, 16:13:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Was that supposed to be
No one will ever fuck you, ugly shit, remember that.
or
No one will ever fuck your ugly shit, remember that.
?
Well asked, Tsarina, though either intent still begs further grammaration (it's a perfectly cromulent word!).
"...ugly shit; remember that."
There is also a third possibility, an insistence that the world has abandoned fornication forever. I doubt this was gumba's meaning, but such a ghastly lack of clarifying punctuation leaves one's meaning open to all manner of guessing.
No one will ever fuck, you ugly shit; remember that.
For a newbie to blow his first post with such a poor display of grammatical stills - while posting in a GRAMMAR POLICE thread, no less - is pitiful, indeed.

Speaking of shit, I've been wondering: what is more correct, 'one shit, two shits' or 'one piece of shit, two pieces of shit'?
Either would be correct. Selecting the more appropriate phrase would depend on specific context.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: 2009 June 29, 16:51:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No one will ever fuck you ugly shit, remember that.

Your mom fucks me every night and loves it, so wrong there.

(When talking to the childish, I feel I must use retorts on their level.)

Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: 2009 June 29, 17:00:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I lol'd.

Thank you for answering my question, Liz. I thought 'one shit' was similar to asking for 'a water' which is, as far as I know, wrong. Or am I mistaken again?

INEPT INTP
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: 2009 June 29, 17:04:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Holy **** what is up with your avatar? O_O

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: 2009 June 29, 17:24:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What are you talking about, Jelly? I have not changed my avatar lately. May I suggest you lay off the meds?
To be honest, I'm not sure. I stole it from someone on LiveJournal, and I felt it portrayed my reaction to MATY quite well.

INEPT INTP
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: 2009 June 29, 17:29:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*laughs* I just noticed it. It messed with my head. Couldn't decide if he was some sort of slug boy, into tentacle pr0n, or really, really surprised. =p

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Baron
Tyyppi
Horrible Halfwit

Even more arrows in knees!

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: 2009 June 29, 19:44:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I actually know where that avatar is originally from. It's from Uzumaki. It's a Japanese horror comic where some really fucked up shit happens, like people turning into snails and then some people start eating those snails. Fun!

GelatinousSubstance
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: 2009 June 29, 20:32:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mmm, giant escargo... sounds yummy.

Doctor: "He was lucky... He was shot in the 90% of the brain that he wasn't using..."

There is no shame in not being ashamed.
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: 2009 June 30, 05:42:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I lol'd.

Thank you for answering my question, Liz. I thought 'one shit' was similar to asking for 'a water' which is, as far as I know, wrong. Or am I mistaken again?

The question of "a water" is an interesting one to me. It may sound incorrect, but then it's fine to ask for a lemonade, an iced tea, or a grape juice, isn't it? Asking for a water skips the signifier, the "glass of". Ordering with a signifier would perhaps be more proper, as it can assist in alleviating certain ordering confusions (A beer? Do you mean a bottle of beer, can of beer, or a glass of what's on tap?), but I don't see why grammar would insist you include it for water when it seems perfectly permissible to omit it for other beverages. "A water" sounds more peculiar to our ears because we know water as a substance that doesn't come in individual units. However much water there is, a few drops or an ocean full, you still only have one "body" of water; it's all "some", which leads many to feel one ought to order "some" water when thirsty. Certainly, one can also order "some" lemonade, tea, or grape juice, but "a" should suffice when naming one's beverage of choice, even if that choice is water. I personally prefer to include the signifier and ask for "a glass of iced water", finding it less open to interpretation (no bottled silliness, thanks, and yes, I do want it cold), but if one chooses to omit that signifier and simply order "a beverage" instead of "a cup/glass/mug/pitcher of x", I see no reason "a water" shouldn't be every bit as permissible as "a glass of cold gravy with a hair in it".

When it comes to "one shit", appropriate use would depend on context, wouldn't it? Are you referring to one pile of shit, one piece of shit (maybe in a larger pile of shit), or perhaps one act of shitting (taking or giving a shit)? It's clumsy and awkward to tell your mates you're off to take one shit when "a shit" is correct (certainly no need to specify that you'll only be using the facilities once while you're gone), but if your physician asked you how many times you'd moved your bowels today, you might tell her you had one shit (two or more, of course, if your bowels are more active on the day in question). To whether one would need to refer to one pile or piece of shit, "some shit" would be correct when referring to the substance itself in any quantity, but there may be situations in which the quantity and/or arrangement of said substance is relevant. Perhaps someone inexperienced or uncontrolled in defecation made use of the nearest loo? There could be shit scattered all over the bathroom while one lonely, little shit made it into the bowl (of course that nasty shitter forgot to flush, and you just know he didn't wash his hands). There is one shit in the bowl. Still, unless there is such specific need to quantify shits in such a manner, "some" or "a" should be, in most situations, more than sufficient to the task.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Immortelle
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: 2009 June 30, 18:19:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But we much all remember that the word shit was most likely introduced into todays vernacular by the lowest common denominator, who do not know jack shit about grammar, and nor would they give a shit anyway.

"Thou hast no more brain than I have in mine elbows." --- Shakespearian insult
GelatinousSubstance
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: 2009 June 30, 20:30:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But we much all remember that the word shit was most likely introduced into todays vernacular by the lowest common denominator, who do not know jack shit about grammar, and nor would they give a shit anyway.

FYI: when When correcting or commenting on grammar, it is best to ensure that you are also correct (the rest of the time, it is not as important).

There is no need to put "and" before "nor" - it is improper usage of two conjunctions.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 01, 00:13:21 by GelatinousSubstance » Logged

Doctor: "He was lucky... He was shot in the 90% of the brain that he wasn't using..."

Bass Junkie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: 2009 June 30, 23:57:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FYI: when correcting or commenting on grammar, it is best to ensure that you are also correct (the rest of the time, it is not as important).
FYI: when correcting or commenting on grammar
FYI: when
: w

Ahem.
Nimrod
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: 2009 July 01, 00:03:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"I took shit yesterday and I already took some shit today."  "Mr. Jones, your problem seems to be that you're taking the shit, rather than leaving the shit."  "Oh, well Doc, can you give me advices about how to stop taking shit?  The missis won't let up!" 

In conclusion, stop TAKING shit.  Seems like you uppity grammar types would refuse "take(ing) a shit" in preference to "excrete excrement" or "going to defecate" or "off to pass stool" or "make in the (use the) ((toilet)insert geographical slant/slang here), or some such shit otherwise.
GelatinousSubstance
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: 2009 July 01, 00:13:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FYI: when correcting or commenting on grammar, it is best to ensure that you are also correct (the rest of the time, it is not as important).
FYI: when correcting or commenting on grammar
FYI: when
: w

Ahem.

Busted?
« Last Edit: 2009 July 01, 00:47:33 by GelatinousSubstance » Logged

DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: 2009 July 01, 00:30:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, according to the style guide I used when I taught, there was no right or wrong when it came to spacing and capitalization following a colon.  It was more a stylistic choice, with the possible exception of a list after a colon, where the accepted punctuation is colon, space, lower-case letter.

Terribletegs
Tasty Tourist

Buyin' all the sims expacs like some kinda chump.

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: 2009 July 01, 08:14:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, according to the style guide I used when I taught, there was no right or wrong when it came to spacing and capitalization following a colon.  It was more a stylistic choice, with the possible exception of a list after a colon, where the accepted punctuation is colon, space, lower-case letter.

Agreed.
http://www.englishchick.com/grammar/grpunc.htm
http://www1.umn.edu/urelate/style/punctuation.html#Anchor-Back-30815
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/colons.asp
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: 2009 July 01, 09:26:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In conclusion, stop TAKING shit.  Seems like you uppity grammar types would refuse "take(ing) a shit" in preference to "excrete excrement" or "going to defecate" or "off to pass stool" or "make in the (use the) ((toilet)insert geographical slant/slang here), or some such shit otherwise.
LOLwhut? Stop TALKING shit, Numbnuts.

Sairsadel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: 2009 July 01, 09:28:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The discussion about "a water" reminds me of Arthur Ransome's use of the phrase "a sea" in his book "We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea" (1937):

"A sea broke over her bows, and sheets of water flew up over the cabin roof, into the mainsail, and splashed down over the struggling figures in the cockpit."

I think Liz's reasoning applies here, so it's another example of the same thing.
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: 2009 July 01, 14:03:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The discussion about "a water" reminds me of Arthur Ransome's use of the phrase "a sea" in his book "We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea" (1937):

Except not really, since "sea" is a regular count noun with a regularly formed plural.  The fact that it's "a sea" rather than "the sea" just sounds like there's an implied "of water" there.

In my experience, "a water/lemonade/juice/etc." is mostly limited to restaurants, where it refers to a specific standardized drink order.  At home I wouldn't say, "I'm going to get a water" unless I was referring to an unopened bottle of water or one of many pre-prepared glasses of water, as opposed to, say, filling up a glass from the sink.

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: 2009 July 01, 15:24:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Except not really, since "sea" is a regular count noun with a regularly formed plural.  The fact that it's "a sea" rather than "the sea" just sounds like there's an implied "of water" there.
Saying "A" sea instead of "THE" sea makes me envision an entire sea flooding into some hapless boat, exploding it and sinking it in tiny scattered pieces instantly. *A* sea, to me, refers to a singular specific sea, which can be quite large, even for a small sea, as opposed to "the sea", referring to the ocean unspecifically, or "the seas", referring to the collective oceans.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: