More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 15:14:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Important notice from the GRAMMAR POLICE. Plz read. This means you.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Important notice from the GRAMMAR POLICE. Plz read. This means you.  (Read 485154 times)
lemmiwinks
Buttlicker
Dead Member

Moar gayer than Jordi

View Profile
Re: Important notice from the GRAMMAR POLICE. Plz read. This means you.
« Reply #250 on: 2009 May 30, 18:24:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

An example of an ESL that not only does not have to worry about the Grammar Cops, but has a better grasp of English than many of our regulars.

Normally I lurk a lot, read a lot, and try not to post a lot, as english is my secondary language, and I am scared of the grammar police. But, I have a question and I am hankering for an answer, so here goes:

Do anyone know what fertilization of the plants you can grow actually do? As I understand it, quality is based on what you plant, (The seed's quality +1 = the plant's quality) and thus fertilization with rare fish or plants, means nothing. So I am wondering if anyone have found a secret about it that I am missing.

*Runs for cover again.*

Please remember to click the "THANKS" button!
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Horrible Halfwit

DON'T PANIC!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: 2009 May 30, 18:45:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know plenty of ESLs on other forums, and you wouldn't know they are foreign if they didn't say so.  I remember an Argentian friend talking about how difficult it is to decipher a post full of "ur, 4 shurs, and !!!!!111!!!" when English isn't his mother tongue.  Of course, those of us who were sick of the 12s with whom we were being bombarded on a daily basis (tl;dr:  this was because another friend ran a website that was dedicated to an animated show, but the forum was supposed to be strictly 18+) told him that we were sincerely grateful for the effort that he and the other foreign fans put into making their posts legible, and we wished that our own American youth could be bothered to do so.

It's sad, really.  I noticed that my son's teachers don't bother to correct his spelling or grammar on most of his assignments because it's "the substance that matters" to them.  Apparently, AOLspeak is changing the way papers are graded.  Why in the hell has it become commonplace?   

Too many retards
cum heer n tipe jus liek dis
ENGLISH, LEARN YOU SOME

INTP, if you care about that.
Salomon
Weeaboo Pee Fancier
Blathering Buffoon

Desperate yet?

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 2009 May 30, 19:09:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What mostly surprises me is the amount of attention that people with bad grammar get, I figure that in the future, if I want to get attention, all I need to do is to use bad/worse grammar and presto, pages and pages dedicated to me. It sounds cheap.

Sorry, I think you can still hold it a bit more...
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 2009 May 30, 19:11:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

An example of an ESL that not only does not have to worry about the Grammar Cops, but has a better grasp of English than many of our regulars.

Normally I lurk a lot, read a lot, and try not to post a lot, as english is my secondary language, and I am scared of the grammar police. But, I have a question and I am hankering for an answer, so here goes:

Do anyone know what fertilization of the plants you can grow actually do? As I understand it, quality is based on what you plant, (The seed's quality +1 = the plant's quality) and thus fertilization with rare fish or plants, means nothing. So I am wondering if anyone have found a secret about it that I am missing.

*Runs for cover again.*

*Delurks*

I am... Both flattered, and afraid that I will now be in the searchlight of the GP. At least I now know that someone bothered to read my post, although an answer to my question is still nowhere to be found. Thank you for the comment lemmiwinks, it means a lot to me.

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
Ingesoc
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 2009 May 30, 19:31:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*Delurks*

I am... Both flattered, and afraid that I will now be in the searchlight of the GP. At least I now know that someone bothered to read my post, although an answer to my question is still nowhere to be found. Thank you for the comment lemmiwinks, it means a lot to me.

The Grammar Police have made it quite clear that they target abuse by people who should know better.
A person using ESL poorly, but making an effort to do so correctly, is not considered a target. In some cases I have seen them help struggling ESLs solve language problems.
Native speakers who use English stupidly are the ones who should be afraid.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 2009 May 30, 20:00:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't worry; I'm the worst ESL around here - I envy Annan and kiki's grasp of the language, for example - but still I haven't been scolded once. And I know that my English syntax and phrase construction is far from correct; I have improved during the years here, but I'm sure that many native English speakers here shiver quite often when they read my posts.
I try to return their niceness by doing the best I can. Yes, surprise: MATYans are fair and nice when it comes to people who are civil, act like adults and are not arrogant. Wink

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 2009 May 30, 21:36:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Grammar Police have made it quite clear that they target abuse by people who should know better.
A person using ESL poorly, but making an effort to do so correctly, is not considered a target. In some cases I have seen them help struggling ESLs solve language problems.
Native speakers who use English stupidly are the ones who should be afraid.

It is also possible to be so stubbornly ungrammatical that you get an exemption in the form of Teflon or lifetime Teflon. Examples:  morriganrant, Tigerlilley and Bangelnuts.

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 2009 May 30, 23:03:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Double-posting with an important announcement.

I have PROOF that Pescado's Patented PM Method for Noob-Discouragement works. Look at this:

I hope it helps Smiley. I'm leaving here, though, the snotty private messages are more than I like it a forum.

Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 2009 May 30, 23:16:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't worry; I'm the worst ESL around here - I envy Annan and kiki's grasp of the language, for example - but still I haven't been scolded once. And I know that my English syntax and phrase construction is far from correct; I have improved during the years here, but I'm sure that many native English speakers here shiver quite often when they read my posts.
I try to return their niceness by doing the best I can. Yes, surprise: MATYans are fair and nice when it comes to people who are civil, act like adults and are not arrogant. Wink

Give yourself a bit MOAR credit - I didn't realise at first that you were an ESL too, you very rarely slip up and if you do it generally just looks like a typo that anyone could make.

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day." - Dean Martin
<Pescado>   Because hey, sometimes you have fun, and sometimes fun has you.
MaryH
Garrulous Gimp

I can haz Polar Bearz

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 2009 May 30, 23:17:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Overcome with PM's? Hell, we all ought to try it. Might shorten the stay of the other lurkers with bad grammar skills.

Although I'll miss the flame-throwing. Have to have some excitement in my life.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
timelycorruption
Corpulent Cretin

INTP, Explorer/Killer

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 2009 June 02, 19:30:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's sad, really.  I noticed that my son's teachers don't bother to correct his spelling or grammar on most of his assignments because it's "the substance that matters" to them.  Apparently, AOLspeak is changing the way papers are graded.  Why in the hell has it become commonplace?   

This probably also has something to do with overly PC public school teachers nowadays that are afraid to correct kids, fearing the wrath of child-centered parents.

It's not SUPPOSED to be happening, but it apparently is anyway!
redwards
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 2009 June 03, 00:15:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just for fun:

Grammar and language rules that go above and beyond your everyday policing: http://www.economist.com/research/styleGuide/index.cfm?page=673903

Some of the stuff in there is pretty obvious, but some of it is amusing and fun. A lot of their rules won't necessarily be agreed upon by your modern dictionary. Of course, your 2009 dictionary probably has words like 'webinar,' 'woot,' and 'fanboy' in it.

Examples:
Epicentre means that point on the earth's surface above the centre of an earthquake. To say that Mr Putin was at the epicentre of the dispute suggests that the argument took place underground.

Testament is a will, testimony evidence. It is testimony to the poor teaching of English that journalists habitually write testament instead.

Circumstances stand around a thing, so it is in, not under, them.

Effectively means with effect; if you mean in effect, say it.The matter was effectively dealt with on Friday means it was done well on Friday. The matter was, in effect, dealt with on Friday means it was more or less attended to on Friday. Effectively leaderless would do as a description of the demonstrators in East Germany in 1989 but not those in Tiananmen Square. The devaluation of the Slovak currency in 1993, described by some as an effective 8%, turned out to be a rather ineffective 8%.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 2009 June 03, 01:35:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

These are not grammar rules, they are explanations about vocabulary and usage, and some of them are contentious at best.

lemmiwinks
Buttlicker
Dead Member

Moar gayer than Jordi

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: 2009 June 03, 01:37:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After spell checking your post, prior to hitting the Post button, may I suggest running it through the Stupid Filter?

Please remember to click the "THANKS" button!
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 2009 June 03, 01:46:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was a mod on Stupid Filter for a while, but I quit when I realized most of the modding was aimed at a much lower bar of stupid than I was looking for.

iHateyou
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 2009 June 03, 01:52:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This probably also has something to do with overly PC public school teachers nowadays that are afraid to correct kids, fearing the wrath of child-centered parents.

Actually it probably has more to do with the fact that your kid's classes probably have 38+ students in each class. When you teach at least 200 students a day you cannot correct everything on each assignment. Next year in our district the classes are going up to 42. We save that kind of grading for the big important writing assignments and give everything else a few "pity points" for effort.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 2009 June 03, 02:07:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So you are essentially admitting you can't do your job?

MuertoElBarto
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 2009 June 03, 02:10:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not an educator here, but that was my interpretation.
GelatinousSubstance
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 2009 June 03, 02:29:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually it probably has more to do with the fact that your kid's classes probably have 38+ students in each class. When you teach at least 200 students a day you cannot correct everything on each assignment. Next year in our district the classes are going up to 42. We save that kind of grading for the big important writing assignments and give everything else a few "pity points" for effort.

Yeah. There is much to be said for a teacher's ineptness - I mean... lack of ability... er... fuck it.

Doctor: "He was lucky... He was shot in the 90% of the brain that he wasn't using..."

There is no shame in not being ashamed.
iHateyou
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 2009 June 03, 04:13:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sure I could do my job, if I devoted more time to it than there is hours in the day. So no, I cannot do my job. If you think you can, be my guest.

*by the way, that might not be relevant since I am not actually a teacher!
Jack Rudd
Grammar Police

Grammar Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: 2009 June 03, 18:05:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sure I could do my job, if I devoted more time to it than there is hours in the day.

Twice West of England chess champion
FIDE rating 2328
Official MATY Predictable Puellile Poser
In Memoriam: WFM Jessie Gilbert, 1987-2006
timelycorruption
Corpulent Cretin

INTP, Explorer/Killer

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 2009 June 05, 22:30:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sure I could do my job, if I devoted more time to it than there is hours in the day. So no, I cannot do my job. If you think you can, be my guest.

Sucks to be your ass-mar.

It's not SUPPOSED to be happening, but it apparently is anyway!
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 2009 June 05, 23:42:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So no, I cannot do my job. If you think you can, be my guest.
I'm surprised that they haven't fired you. I mean, if you can't do your job then you must be a useless tool.

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 2009 June 06, 01:34:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was going to say, my job is cleaning up after the edumacational messes that teachers make, but then you said you aren't a teacher. So why are you bitching, again?

Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 2009 June 06, 01:39:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was going to say, my job is cleaning up after the edumacational messes that teachers make, but then you said you aren't a teacher. So why are you bitching, again?

As long as I live, there will *ALWAYS* be people that have no fucking clue what working in the education system is like that will decide they have an edumacated two cents to contribute on how teachers or lecturers operate. If they'd give us an actual two cents for each of these morons, we'd be damn wealthy and wouldn't have to teach their spawns.

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day." - Dean Martin
<Pescado>   Because hey, sometimes you have fun, and sometimes fun has you.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: