More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 18:56:36

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Facts & Strategery
| | |-+  Choosing Sex of Babies
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Choosing Sex of Babies  (Read 135408 times)
Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
Re: Choosing Sex of Babies
« Reply #125 on: 2009 June 25, 20:02:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A slightly more significant issue is that the best breakfast, French Toast, contains apples and doesn't advertise it. 

Huh, did you have apples in your inventory when you made the waffles?
How did "French Toast" become "Waffles?"  French toast, unlike pancakes and cobbler, won't take just any fruit.  It requires 2 apples and 1 egg.  The "use ingredients from inventory first" rule is irrelevant, French Toast always contains apples.

- Gus

*Shakes head
I have no idea how french toast became waffles! Sorry!
I didn't realize you were talking about the ingredients rather than a flavoring! Like apple pancakes or apple waffles like I keep getting in my game.

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow. If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2009 June 28, 04:43:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sims often make pancakes with watermelon, grapes or even limes. I wonder how they choose the ingredient, at random? (This is when also apples are available)

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2009 June 28, 05:36:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mandapotpie, waffles don't feature fruit of any sort. Look at the skill journal of any of your sims who has cooked them. Egg only.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2009 June 28, 06:35:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sims often make pancakes with watermelon, grapes or even limes. I wonder how they choose the ingredient, at random? (This is when also apples are available)
I'm unclear as to how a "pancake" incorporates such an ingredient to begin with, really. Is this some definition of "pancake" I am unfamiliar with?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
minidoxigirli
Feckless Fool

ESFP- I'm a speshul snowflake

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2009 June 28, 06:38:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm unclear as to how a "pancake" incorporates such an ingredient to begin with, really. Is this some definition of "pancake" I am unfamiliar with?

I envision it as similar to a blueberry or chocolate chip pancake.  Grapes probably would work, but watermelon definitely wouldn't.  The liquids would throw off the chemistry of the thing.

My claim to Sims fame?  I was featured as a Sims 2 fan on an MTV show about The Urbz.  I'm badass like that.
geekgirl
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2009 June 28, 09:16:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I eat my meatspace pancakes and waffles with butter and applesauce (jam if no applesauce is available) on top. Would that count?

Pinstar
Blathering Buffoon

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: 2009 June 29, 01:33:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Their fruit choice is lame, though... EAxis should have used bananas and peaches [innuendos fully intended].

I believe "apples" is Russian slang for testicles.  I refuse to speculate on watermelon.  Cheesy

Hook

I think this is a play on the old wives tale that if a woman's pregnant stomach looks like a watermelon, she's going to have a girl. The other half of that tale is that if the tummy looks like a basketball it'll be a ball. An apple would be an edible approximation for a basket ball being that it is more rounded than oblong.

What kind of Legacy will YOU leave?
mpdrei
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2009 June 29, 15:31:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally, I've had a fair difference between gender of babies. My Sim favoring apples and having a lesser amount of watermelon while having girls, and vice versa.
Perhaps chance is just against everyone? I've seen a number of times where people would get 10 boys in a row, and only get a girl near the 15 mark.
Pinstar
Blathering Buffoon

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: 2009 July 01, 12:34:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally, I've had a fair difference between gender of babies. My Sim favoring apples and having a lesser amount of watermelon while having girls, and vice versa.
Perhaps chance is just against everyone? I've seen a number of times where people would get 10 boys in a row, and only get a girl near the 15 mark.

I'm not sure how much effect foods cooked WITH apples/watermellons have. I've found very reliable results from having the sims eat raw apples or raw watermelons straight from their inventory. So far, that has always produced the desired gender of the child.

What kind of Legacy will YOU leave?
HystericalParoxysm
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2009 July 05, 17:43:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't matter whether it's pure apples/watermelons or as an ingredient - the effect is the same.  5% additional chance per eaten item, up to a maximum of 15% (max chance 65% for a particular gender).
Soretta
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2009 July 06, 00:44:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, you have to eat the apples or watermelons in the first trimester of pregnancy as the gender is chosen when the pregnancy starts to show.  All the sim men in my family are doctors and they have been able to ascertain the gender as soon as their wife started to show.
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2009 July 06, 00:45:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, you have to eat the apples or watermelons in the first trimester of pregnancy as the gender is chosen when the pregnancy starts to show.  All the sim men in my family are doctors and they have been able to ascertain the gender as soon as their wife started to show.

Oooo...that explains why the fruit thing never works for me. I normally make them scoff 3 apples/watermelon on the final day.

Chocolate Milk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2009 July 06, 02:25:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if every sim and her dog can grow apples but watermelons have to be sought out, what does this do for the gender ratio in a neighbourhood where you make no attempt to control things?  It seems to me, if you play without knowing this information, given the ubiquity of apples (as Jolrei pointed out, though not quite in those words), aren't we going to get a sort of China Syndrome where there are more male babies born than female?  If you ask me, this is offensive to feminists.  OTOH, I got bored with the game and am not playing, so apologies if my information is wrong because of my lack of experience.

I'm guessing it only affects the family you're playing. At least, the Sim I'm currently playing is quite the romancer and now has 20 children by random neighbourhood women. (I'm waiting to see which child grows up looking the least retarded before I pick a successor.) Of those children, 8 are boys and 12 are girls. Obviously this isn't a scientific trial, but seeing as apples are so ubiquitous as a food ingredient, you'd expect the number of boys to be much higher.

Actually, has anyone tested this out, or is it possible to tell from the XML whether it makes a difference to families which aren't being played...? I'm pretty curious now, it's not something I'd considered before.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2009 July 09, 01:20:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't matter whether it's pure apples/watermelons or as an ingredient - the effect is the same.  5% additional chance per eaten item, up to a maximum of 15% (max chance 65% for a particular gender).
You're pulling those numbers out of your ass.  The XML clearly says 15% per item, not 5%, and the maximum change is 50%, not 15%.  Since the base is 50% male, you can get 100% male by eating 4 apples, or 100% female by eating 4 watermelons.

I've had no trouble forcing whatever gender I want.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Mazza
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2009 July 24, 20:27:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am not convinced at all. I have a legacy family in the 17th gen and all they have ever had is boys. Try as I might to eat watermelon it makes no difference. Still no girls.

iHateyou
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2009 July 24, 22:21:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am not convinced at all. I have a legacy family in the 17th gen and all they have ever had is boys. Try as I might to eat watermelon it makes no difference. Still no girls.

Have you tried shoving the watermelons up your twat?
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2009 July 24, 22:25:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why? Has that worked for you?

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
iHateyou
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2009 July 24, 22:26:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why? Has that worked for you?

Yes and it's fun too.
Euphemism
Blathering Buffoon

In Soviet Russia, cupcake laughs at YOU!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: 2009 July 25, 03:30:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do your Sims eat pancakes? Make sure they NEVER buy apples, they never have apples in their inventory, anything. Apples can sneak into a lot of recipes and cause boys. Also, for the watermelons to work, you have to eat it in the FIRST trimester of pregnancy. If you do it right after they change into maternity and start rubbing their tummy, then it should work. Something is definitely wrong, either way. The gender ratio should be about 50/50. After 17 generations, SOMETHING is wrong for you to not have had a single girl. Your Sims are sneaking apples when you're not looking. Watch your pregnant Sims like a hawk and turn off autonomy if you have to.

Also, sticking pineapples up your twat is what all the cool kids are up to. Trust me on this.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2009 July 25, 04:45:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, for the watermelons to work, you have to eat it in the FIRST trimester of pregnancy.
This is false.  You can eat the fruits (either type) any time during the pregnancy, from conception right up to delivery.  If it were the first trimester only, several of my gender-determination attempts would have failed.  The usual ways people fail at this are to not eat enough (you need 4 servings of fruit to guarantee a gender) or to eat things which contain the wrong fruit but which don't advertise it (Stu Surprise, French Toast, Eggs Machiavelli).

Pancakes and cobbler always contain fruit, but they say which fruit in the name (i.e. Apple Pancakes or Watermelon Pancakes).

- Gus

Euphemism
Blathering Buffoon

In Soviet Russia, cupcake laughs at YOU!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: 2009 July 25, 04:56:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meh. The debate is still raging as to when exactly you need to eat the fruit. See posts about 5 above mine. But you're right, I should have added the number you need to eat. I bet that's where Mazza went wrong.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2009 July 25, 11:17:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meh. The debate is still raging as to when exactly you need to eat the fruit. See posts about 5 above mine.
"The debate is still raging" my arse.  I've run 20+ gender-determinations and never had a problem, and there's no way it's restricted a single trimester / day.  I've always spaced my 4 servings of fruit over 2-3 days.  Not once have I fed them all at once.

You're referring to this:
Before they start to show, not after as you suggested.  Which is definitely false, since I've almost always started sex-determination when the bump shows in the 2nd trimester, which is when the Sims roll the gender preferences for spawn.

My guess?  There's a Heisenberg effect.  That is, performing the doctor gender-check forces the game to decide baby gender then, rather than at birth.  Next time I have a doctor in the family, I'll test this.

- Gus

Solmyr
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2009 July 28, 14:23:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wanted to post that there is a mod that disables the apple/watermelon gender determination, for those who prefer the baby gender to be fully random.
Piffle
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2009 July 28, 20:46:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wanted to post that there is a mod that disables the apple/watermelon gender determination, for those who prefer the baby gender to be fully random.

The new EAxis patch seems to disable it as well, though the patch notes specify in "prepared foods" so you may not want to feed a bunch of raw apples to your pregnant sim just yet.

First they came for the Wal-Marts, and I said nothing because I was not tacky...
virgali
Malodorous Moron

Do you see a midget Hitler?!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2009 July 31, 13:16:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The new EAxis patch seems to disable it as well, though the patch notes specify in "prepared foods" so you may not want to feed a bunch of raw apples to your pregnant sim just yet.
Really?! Then I guess we'll need a mod that enables it then :-/

Do you need someone to organize your sock drawer?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: