More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:06:10

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Career Profitability and Perks
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Career Profitability and Perks  (Read 62901 times)
asmadasrabbits
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Career Profitability and Perks
« Reply #50 on: 2009 May 28, 20:57:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is the Medical career's perk just being able to increase fun and energy while at work?  Those are pretty useful, but my first foray into The Horror was the science career, and being able to mess with almost all inanimate objects kind of outstrips "making people hate you" and "bed at work".

I don't know about the medical career but you can also sleep at work in the culinary career as well. I noticed it hadn't made it onto the list, but you can choose "sleep on prep table" and that will increase your energy while at work.

I think they have that in every career, my criminal had the option also. But his wife either never had the option or lost it at a certain level, which kind of sucked.
Mikka
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2009 May 28, 22:34:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The 'sleep at work' option seems to pop up only when your sim is very very tired, in my experience- at least with Medical and Criminal career.  The first amused me: the idea of the trauma surgeon napping after having been called in on his beeper is interesting, to say the least.

My Criminal track Sim seems to have triggered the sadorandom JAIL JAIL JAIL option.  She's low in the career (level four or five, I think), and it's around twice a week that she gets taken away, no matter what she's doing.  Even if she's just lazing around at work, she goes to the slammer.  I wonder if there's someway to make it pop up less often: my other sim in the track didn't have this much trouble.
asmadasrabbits
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2009 May 28, 23:26:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually I only noticed the option was missing when she was extremely tired, but I hadn't looked for it before. I ended up having her leave work early to sleep.
beear
Asinine Airhead

myspace.com/iwrestledabearonce

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2009 May 29, 01:13:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

good info.

and yeah, my criminal sim keeps getting thrown in jail XD. got bummed and decided to make a politician instead Oo;
sanmonroe
Circus Freak
Lipless Loser

Hates Furries.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2009 May 29, 09:15:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's also a science career opportunity to bring an urn or gravestone to work and have it restored.
I've done it 3 times, and it said the experiment failed, but it turns the urn\stone into a playable ghost.

I'll kill some more of my neighbors and see if it ever succeeds. 
After you accept the opportunity and bring in the first stone\urn, an option for "restore ghost" appears on the science bldg.

Thank God I don't live next to you.

Yes, I would be intrested to know if it ever works. I have a level 10 in the science field.
It is a random opportunity that pops up if you have had a housemate die. Kill one off and always answer the phone. Eventually you will get it offered. May take a few weeks though. Don't switch sim families after you get it or you lose it!

When you do something because of the internet that is wrong.
When you make love to a man in a giraffe outfit.
When you discover you masterbated online to a picture of a relative.

Webcest.
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2009 May 29, 09:31:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't appear to be tied to having a housemate die either - my Sim got it despite the fact that she had no way of fulfilling it.  No one had died, or even had a near death experience. 

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2009 May 29, 11:21:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The resurrection option may be more tied to the age of Sims in your household or their nearness to next age-up level / something awarded regardless of career after X number of Sims days, but that's a wild guess. My Journalist and Musician both received the perk after accepting the opportunity. If you accidentally right-clicked or missed it, it MIGHT still be available at the Science Center; check and see.

Re: Lifetime Perks: I assume that once you fill up the available space for perks, you can't purchase any more. Is this true, or can you go for all of them?

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2009 May 29, 11:35:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Re: Lifetime Perks: I assume that once you fill up the available space for perks, you can't purchase any more. Is this true, or can you go for all of them?

You can buy more than what fits in the window, it actually grows as needed. I don't know yet if you can buy all of them, but I'm on my way to it...
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2009 May 29, 16:02:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can buy more than what fits in the window, it actually grows as needed. I don't know yet if you can buy all of them, but I'm on my way to it...

You can buy all of them.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2009 May 29, 16:26:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just reached the top of Law Enforcement: International Super-Spy. I did really like the uniform for the Triple-Agent level and how it changed daily. For the top level, the straps of the female dress seem really fuzzy. You'd think EAxis would learn to do straps and necklaces by now. Raiding the Criminal warehouse takes quite some time for a modest reward (I got around $350 twice).

As for rewards, everyone gets Observant in my game. Other than that, it depends on their traits and LTW. My party animals both got the Legendary Host one. My guy who wanted level 10 in two skills got Fast Learner. Then, I focused on the friend retention wants because with two party animals, those were a lot of friend-loss notifications.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2009 May 29, 16:40:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As for rewards, everyone gets Observant in my game. Other than that, it depends on their traits and LTW. My party animals both got the Legendary Host one. My guy who wanted level 10 in two skills got Fast Learner. Then, I focused on the friend retention wants because with two party animals, those were a lot of friend-loss notifications.

I was focusing on the Distant Friend type rewards for my socially-inclined Sims until I realized that one of the Charisma skill rewards (Super Friendly) featured non-decay of friendships.  Now I save the lifetime reward points for bigger and better things, as the people likely to care about friends are the easiest ones to get 20 friends for anyway.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
WandersFar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2009 May 29, 21:04:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: BlueSoup
But he's completed a couple of books since and still no vaudeville.  His next wish is for 40 books, so maybe it's at 40 books?

I can confirm that Vaudeville does not require 40 books, as my sim has only written 29 books and this option became available a couple novels ago.

I don't know why you're not getting the Vaudeville genre. Perhaps this is a trait/career issue?

Interestingly, my sim doesn't have the Romance Novelist challenge available. Maybe Feature Article Writer supplants Romance Novelist? You can only have three at a time?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2009 May 29, 22:18:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The X Genre Writer achievement is genre-specific. If you look at the text before achieving, it says you must have 5 books of a certain genre to get it. You have 8 Feature Articles, and <4 of each other type, so that's the one you have. I wonder if you can get the achievement more than once by doing 5 of several types? One of my sims wants level 10 writership and level 10 painting.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2009 May 30, 06:02:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, my Sim is now a Satirist actually.  But I still have no vaudeville, and he's at like 57 novels.  So I have no idea what the requirement to get it actually is.
WandersFar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2009 May 30, 07:44:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: Zazazu
I wonder if you can get the achievement more than once by doing 5 of several types?

If no one beats me to it, I will test this out next time I play. (Write 5 novels of some other genre and see if my sim loses Feature Article Writer status and gains something else, or if both achievements can be maintained simultaneously.)

Quote from: BlueSoup
Yeah, my Sim is now a Satirist actually.

Did your sim lose Romance Novelist status after becoming a Satirist?
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2009 May 30, 08:01:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes he did lose the Romance Novelist status.  It does seem you can only maintain that perk for one type at a time.

Yeah, my Sim is now a Satirist actually.  But I still have no vaudeville, and he's at like 57 novels.  So I have no idea what the requirement to get it actually is.

It's weird to quote myself, but I just got a new option on both of my Sims novel menu: historical.  That appears to be related to them being old now.

« Last Edit: 2009 May 30, 08:43:46 by BlueSoup » Logged
Scotty
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: 2009 May 31, 03:27:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of my Sims is now Leader of the Free World, which was his lifetime want. Whenever he needs to go somewhere, a white stretch limo comes to get him instead of a taxi. I really do wish there were a way to choose a new lifetime want after one has been fulfilled.

Come visit us at the Gay Sims Club 2.

http://gaysimsclub2.net

I'm a Gay Pirate! Arrr!
Soggy Fox
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2009 May 31, 22:28:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm - I know that my first writer to get to a 9 or a 10 skill got the option for writing fantasy novels.  But my next writer got romance instead, which ticked me off because I wanted her to be a fantasy genre writer.

Haven't seen the other genres yet - the satire and historical, or the vaudeville ones.
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2009 May 31, 22:30:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh well fantasy shows up as soon as you write 5 sci-fi novels.  I assume vaudeville works the same with another genre (no idea which one though).  Historical showed up when they both aged to elder.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2009 June 01, 00:25:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone considered that some genres might be tied to traits, like historical is to age group?  Anyway, it pleases me that certain sims can only write certain kinds of books, I'd already been playing that way in TS2, with sims choosing their genre based on interests, personality and asp.
jello
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2009 June 01, 01:42:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh well fantasy shows up as soon as you write 5 sci-fi novels.  I assume vaudeville works the same with another genre (no idea which one though).  Historical showed up when they both aged to elder.

I would assume, then Vaudeville = 5 humor novels?

I wonder which sort of novel leads to masterpiece. Drama, perhaps?
Simgoose
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2009 June 01, 02:23:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Couple of Painting Questions:
I have had a wish sitting in the queue for a while now "Paint something over $5,000", I have all the traits and lifetime rewards to help in the venture and all motives high, but for the life of me, cannot make anything over +/-$4,200 <$5,000. Also, the value seems to decrease if I paint one after another. (And this is the same with books) :S

Does anyone know of an easy way to do this, or is it just a matter of painting something 4,200+ and waiting for it to appreciate in value? (Would EA be this smart?)
Does the price of paintings increase when the artist dies?
TashaYarrr
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2009 June 01, 02:33:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If this is still being updated:

Scientist, level 10 (is this the top level? I thought there were branches...my criminal sim got offered a branch), $404/hr, M Tu F workweek.
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2009 June 01, 02:44:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would assume, then Vaudeville = 5 humor novels?

I wonder which sort of novel leads to masterpiece. Drama, perhaps?

I think writing 25 novels leads to masterpiece, and not tied to any particular genre.

If this is still being updated:

Scientist, level 10 (is this the top level? I thought there were branches...my criminal sim got offered a branch), $404/hr, M Tu F workweek.

Science doesn't have branches.  Mad Scientist is the top level.
jello
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2009 June 01, 07:18:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're right, BlueSoup. I just confirmed it by power-writing to a total of 25 with the shortest novel types, fiction and nonfiction.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: