More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 22:19:20

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Career Profitability and Perks
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Career Profitability and Perks  (Read 62907 times)
Rathen
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Re: Career Profitability and Perks
« Reply #25 on: 2009 May 27, 22:54:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just as a brief addition to the writing stuff - the books you write will often end up in the library. That may of be interest to someone.
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009 May 27, 22:57:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Books can also appear as the delivery for Book Club members.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
redwards
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009 May 27, 23:23:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I mentioned that, as far as the Music career goes, playing the guitar has several of its own perks. I forgot one of the most obvious: playing for tips in the park, aside from making money and raising your skill at the same time, also builds relationships with your tippers.

My rockstar had accidentally completely one of the charisma challenges (20-something friends) before he even had the charisma skill.
WandersFar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009 May 27, 23:29:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On the subject of novels, there are two hidden genres that become available after you've mastered the three Writing skill challenges: Vaudeville and Masterpiece.

Vaudeville novels are 1250 pages in length and have a royalty value rating of 4.

Masterpiece novels are 2000 pages in length and have a royalty value rating of 5.

My sim earned around 8000/week for a Vaudeville novel, and over 12000/week for a Masterpiece. Both were best-sellers.
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009 May 27, 23:30:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, the science career is officially one of my favorites.

Science Updated:

Level 10 Pay: 437/hour.
Workdays: M Tu F
Work hours: 9am - 1:30pm

JonaBullets
Corpulent Cretin

aka: JonaFootBullets

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 May 27, 23:56:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, the science career is officially one of my favorites.

Science Updated:

Level 10 Pay: 437/hour.
Workdays: M Tu F
Work hours: 9am - 1:30pm
And if you keep putting in good effect at work, even being on the top job... you can get a raise, so 437$ isn't the limit, it just matters on how much you want to "work hard" and what not at work. you will keep getting raises.

Smile.
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 May 28, 00:18:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just going to throw in some random notes for you - hopefully it's helpful:

Notes for Fishing:

Randomly collected junk can occasionally be quite valuable.  I reeled in a laptop that way.  Also picked up a birthday cake. 

Ew.

Also, wouldn't that fry the laptop?
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009 May 28, 00:22:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I forgot to mention earlier there's two tracks to the criminal career.  Criminal Mastermind and Master Thief.  At the end of the master thief one you get a statue of a gold fox holding a money bag.
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009 May 28, 00:36:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Military:

No forks in this career, top position is Astronaut.
Perks: None, except for only one workday a week as astronaut.
Pay: 18 hours x 341§ = 6138§ per week at astronaut level.... Not great!

At least you get a lot of time for other pursuits. My sim is playing her guitar (concerts and for tips) and going fishing.
« Last Edit: 2009 May 28, 00:44:30 by SciBirg » Logged

INTJ
JonaBullets
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009 May 28, 00:37:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I forgot to mention earlier there's two tracks to the criminal career.  Criminal Mastermind and Master Thief.  At the end of the master thief one you get a statue of a gold fox holding a money bag.
Ohhhh Nice! Me wants! Hehe.
That's one thing I have noticed/liked about TS3, that even though there is only 12 odd careers, there is like 20 career paths.
just don't fall into the trap I did... I had the Lifetime wish of becoming the Secret Agent of whatever.. And at Level 5 or something a box pops up, and asked what track I wanted to go down. So I just clicked the random one, Something CSI related... And I never got the Lifetime want, so had to quit, and start again, Lulz! (User Error)

Smile.
MickeyJR
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009 May 28, 00:51:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I forgot to mention earlier there's two tracks to the criminal career.  Criminal Mastermind and Master Thief.  At the end of the master thief one you get a statue of a gold fox holding a money bag.
Ohhhh Nice! Me wants! Hehe.
That's one thing I have noticed/liked about TS3, that even though there is only 12 odd careers, there is like 20 career paths.
just don't fall into the trap I did... I had the Lifetime wish of becoming the Secret Agent of whatever.. And at Level 5 or something a box pops up, and asked what track I wanted to go down. So I just clicked the random one, Something CSI related... And I never got the Lifetime want, so had to quit, and start again, Lulz! (User Error)

Forensics Analyist and Secret Agent (I'm pretty sure of this but I could be wrong.) were the choices I had in Law enforcement. I have had three law enforcement Sims.
JonaBullets
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 May 28, 01:09:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Forensics Analyist and Secret Agent (I'm pretty sure of this but I could be wrong.) were the choices I had in Law enforcement. I have had three law enforcement Sims.
I think your on the money with that one.. I'm a fan of the different paths. Im just annoyed that Lifetime wishes cannot be regen'd after completion, which sucks!
But I guess its because, then LifeTime points would be coming out left right and centre.. but still. would be good to roll another one.

Smile.
jello
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 May 28, 01:38:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Music (Symphony branch)

Skills Required: Primarily the guitar, which ought to be maxed by level 10. Secondary skill is logic. It is possible to reach high levels without these skills at the recommended levels, but there will be a massive drain on performance (requiring you to "work hard" every day and have perfect relations with the boss and coworkers).

Skill improvement: There is a "Study Music Theory" option that alternatingly increases logic and guitar skill.

Perks: Autograph sessions similar to those in the rock star branch. You can attend the theater for free. Any perks related to high guitar and logic skills will also accrue to you, of course.

Salary: The level 10 salary (Hit Movie Composer or something of that sort) is just under $400 an hour, netting near $1800 a day. You work four days a week: Friday, Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday.

Opportunities: You can perform a movie symphony at the theatre on Saturday or Sunday evening and net a few thousand.

Level 10 vehicle: To and from work, you use the car immediately inferior to the Margaret Vaguester (the one that looks similar to a Porsche). The taxi is completely replaced by a pink limosine (likely to be blue for male characters).
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009 May 28, 05:42:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On the subject of novels, there are two hidden genres that become available after you've mastered the three Writing skill challenges: Vaudeville and Masterpiece.

Vaudeville novels are 1250 pages in length and have a royalty value rating of 4. Masterpiece novels are 2000 pages in length and have a royalty value rating of 5. My sim earned around 8000/week for a Vaudeville novel, and over 12000/week for a Masterpiece. Both were best-sellers.

I didn't get these perks directly after fulfilling the three writing challenges, because as soon as you mentioned this I checked my male Sim's options and he didn't have either Vaudeville or Masterpiece.  He got the Masterpiece after a couple more novels though, but still no vaudeville...

iHateyou
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009 May 28, 06:26:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Vaudeville novels are 1250 pages in length and have a royalty value rating of 4. Masterpiece novels are 2000 pages in length and have a royalty value rating of 5. My sim earned around 8000/week for a Vaudeville novel, and over 12000/week for a Masterpiece. Both were best-sellers.

I didn't get these perks directly after fulfilling the three writing challenges, because as soon as you mentioned this I checked my male Sim's options and he didn't have either Vaudeville or Masterpiece.  He got the Masterpiece after a couple more novels though, but still no vaudeville...

I think Vaudeville and masterpiece are not tied to completing those challenges. I have received masterpiece and have only completed two of the three challenges. I still haven't gotten to $30k royalties. I have had 25 bestsellers, so I think I received masterpiece because of that. Not sure exactly when it was earned though.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009 May 28, 06:35:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I don't think they're tied either.  I think Masterpiece must be tied to completing 25 books, bestseller or not, because the book you see in the picture as his highest earner was his 26th, and it was a Masterpiece.  But he's completed a couple of books since and still no vaudeville.  His next wish is for 40 books, so maybe it's at 40 books?

My plants last a lot longer than 2-3 harvestings - I think 3 may be the shortest lifespan I've seen, but I've definitely had some apple trees and lettuce plants that just seemed to keep giving and giving.  The ones that have fewer harvests seem to be the higher-level ones, which makes sense.

I've actually noticed the exact opposite.  The only plants that seemed to me to have low harvest rates was the Death Plant (two with a revival in between harvests) and the common produce types.  They died faster than any other type, even though the quality of all of them was perfect.

-The money trees don't produce seeds, but only bags of cashable money. I haven't seen a money tree die yet, though.

I've never had a money tree die either.  They do produce seeds though, you can see them on the ground underneath occasionally.  I've also noticed that the money trees increase in quality as time goes on too, but that may be because one of my sims is a green thumb and both have the super green thumb LTW reward.
« Last Edit: 2009 May 28, 10:27:36 by BlueSoup » Logged
FilthyOaf
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009 May 28, 10:28:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's also a science career opportunity to bring an urn or gravestone to work and have it restored.
I've done it 3 times, and it said the experiment failed, but it turns the urn\stone into a playable ghost.

I'll kill some more of my neighbors and see if it ever succeeds. 
After you accept the opportunity and bring in the first stone\urn, an option for "restore ghost" appears on the science bldg.

I regard you with an indifference closely bordering on aversion. - Robert Louis Stevenson, 1882
MickeyJR
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009 May 28, 13:04:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's also a science career opportunity to bring an urn or gravestone to work and have it restored.
I've done it 3 times, and it said the experiment failed, but it turns the urn\stone into a playable ghost.

After you accept the opportunity and bring in the first stone\urn, an option for "restore ghost" appears on the science bldg.

Thank God I don't live next to you.

Yes, I would be intrested to know if it ever works. I have a level 10 in the science field.
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009 May 28, 13:15:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't appear to be specifically tied to the Science career - my politician Sim got the same opportunity.

kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009 May 28, 13:17:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A little perk of the science career: Once my sim reached Mad Scientist, he was able to "Perform Experiment" on nearly every object in the house. It would give objects either a positive or negative effect. Sounds objects became noisy, pretty, or give random good moodlets to sims who used them. Luckily, if you get a bad experiment, you can undo it just as quickly.
MickeyJR
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009 May 28, 13:26:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sometimes the experiment will destroy the object.
EsotericPolarBear
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009 May 28, 17:43:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A little perk of the science career: Once my sim reached Mad Scientist, he was able to "Perform Experiment" on nearly every object in the house. It would give objects either a positive or negative effect. Sounds objects became noisy, pretty, or give random good moodlets to sims who used them. Luckily, if you get a bad experiment, you can undo it just as quickly.

That's...actually kind of awesome.
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009 May 28, 18:45:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The graveyard ghosts- is this the only way to make them playable?
Czezechael
Blathering Buffoon

in my mouf...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009 May 28, 20:28:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very long-time lurker, first time poster (woop woop) chiming in to say that the Evil Red Aura of Evilness from the Evil branch of the Criminal career seems to make either all relationship decay, or at least those with sims with the "good" trait.

I found this out in a rather amusing fashion with mine and my partner's selfsims, as we'd both obtained the charisma perk that stops relationship decay and still had somehow managed to get to "wishes to be mean to other sim" cropping up levels.  Then, I'd noticed that the bar was decreasing with each pulse of Evil Red Evilness.  Some acquantances started off in the red, as well, and then I'd managed to put things together.

So, the Evil branch's perk is fantastic if you want to make the whole town hate your sim, though the random thieving is still rather neat.

Is the Medical career's perk just being able to increase fun and energy while at work?  Those are pretty useful, but my first foray into The Horror was the science career, and being able to mess with almost all inanimate objects kind of outstrips "making people hate you" and "bed at work".
Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009 May 28, 20:49:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is the Medical career's perk just being able to increase fun and energy while at work?  Those are pretty useful, but my first foray into The Horror was the science career, and being able to mess with almost all inanimate objects kind of outstrips "making people hate you" and "bed at work".

I don't know about the medical career but you can also sleep at work in the culinary career as well. I noticed it hadn't made it onto the list, but you can choose "sleep on prep table" and that will increase your energy while at work.

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow. If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: