More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 19:17:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Career Profitability and Perks
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Career Profitability and Perks  (Read 63151 times)
redwards
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Career Profitability and Perks
« on: 2009 May 27, 19:59:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since there's been a good bit of discussion about how much money each career generates, including the perks, I thought I'd start a list. Obviously, each career now gets occasional bonuses, but I suspect most careers will be within a relatively small range when they first hit level 10. I have to say, the varying effects that you get from different career paths is one of the better changes from TS2.

I'll get better numbers later, but here are some ballparks for the careers I have experience with, off the top of my head. Feel free to post data below and I'll keep a running list in the first post.

Criminal (Evil) -
 - requires athletics, workplace relationships (especially the boss) and, for the very last levels, a little bit of logic.  
 - ~3200 per day
 - occasional free items, which sell for anywhere from 1k to 8k. I'd say about an 80% chance of an item on a given workday
 - the dropdown option "Do Side Jobs" nets about an extra $750 per day
 - also has dropdowns for improving athletic skill, meeting co-workers, befriending co-workers, and befriending boss.
 - will post workdays later. Have to check, but I think it was 3 days a week. Works at night.
 - Occasionally radiates a red aura in the presence of groups of sims. I think this is supposed to scare them because you're Mr. Evil, but it doesn't really appear to have any effect.
 - At lower levels, your sim can get arrested and spend a 12 hours or so in jail. Jail has dropdowns which include building athletics and your fun meter. My sim was arrested twice in his career, both times very early on.
 - Top tier ride is a black limo. Top tier costume is a black outfit with green piping, in a vaguely 1940s military shape. (tier 9 costume is Dr. Evil, to a T)

Music (Rockstar) -
 - Requires guitar skill, workplace relationships and musical performances (can be performed at work via dropdown).
 - At top tier, has no work hours. You perform shows or do an autograph session whenever you want, within certain hours.
 - Theater shows net about 1k and last about two hours,  Arena shows net 2-3k and last about four hours (time frame is a total guess. I wasn't paying attention). Money from shows seemed seriously lame, to me. There doesn't appear to be a way to get a raise, since there's no job performance bonus possible - the meter doesn't fill up anymore.
 - Sims in your household can go to the show for free and will get a nice moodlet afterwards.
 - Autograph signing sessions last four hours and net 6-7k, but it's not autonomous - you have to queue up a bunch of "sign autograph" actions (not that much work, really).
 - Getting your guitar skill up has a lot of perks of its own, including the ability to make decent money by playing for tips in the park (playing for tips still generates skill) and to serenade significant others.
 - Ride is a Rockstar bus from level 6 or so to level 9 (fully replaces the cab. The bus will take you everywhere). Level 10 is a blue limo.

Journalism -
- Skills Required: Writing from the beginning, Charisma at the higher levels. (Surprisingly, Creativity is NOT required at all. Because it no longer exists, my mistake.)
- Friends: Indirectly required to gain Charisma skill after the first few points. It is possible to get quite far (around level 7) with minimal friends (3, in my sim's case) however. The game recommends you befriend the boss, though I didn't notice much benefit.
- Other Requirements: At the higher levels, job performance is ostensibly influenced by the quality and frequency of your articles, interviews, and reviews, though my sim hasn't written anything but novels since level 6 or so with no effect.
- Perks: Under "Special" interactions, your sim gains the ability to Interview. This allows you to discover all five traits of any sim very quickly. Also, there is a special writing skill achievement ("Feature Article Writer") that increases the chances of producing hits and bestsellers. This appears to be exclusive to Journalists. The indirect perk is you're more or less required to max Writing, which makes it an ideal career if you want to concentrate on novel-writing primarily, and do a traditional career on the side.
- Salary: At level 10, Star News Anchor, I believe the starting salary was around 700 or 800 (not sure exactly.) With raises from maxing job performance, my sim is currently making 900+.
- Hours: For level 10, Star News Anchor, M W Th F : 8:00 am - noon.
- Opportunities: Interview City Councilman -- go to City Hall for a couple hours. Save your branch from being closed by the network -- write a bestselling article. A few other opportunities were similarly based on writing hit or bestselling articles. All successful opportunities result in higher job performance, money (not much, usually around 300) and sometimes, better relations with your boss, whatever that's worth.
- Job-Specific Working Technique: Practice Writing (increases writing skill) and Discuss News With Co-workers (increases relationship score with co-workers).
- Level 10 Vehicle: Margaret Vaguester - speed 10.

Athletics [from roflganger]:
 - I have to check my game for exact numbers, but at the top, they bring in a sizable sum and can also do autograph signings and advertising deals.  
 - Work schedule sucks though - 3 work days and 2 game days.  
 - Performance factors: relationship with boss, relationship with teammates, athletic skills and (after a certain point) how the team does in games.  
 - Extra perk: family members can attend games for free.

Culinary [from gyrobot]-
 - Very low maintenance Career, requiring only cooking as the only skill with good workplace relationships.
 - You get an improved Food Processor and a Fridge that boosts all food quality by 1. Leftovers also last longer in that fridge.
 - You get half price meals for the place, not that it matters since the only place worth going is the Bristo
 - Can switch between restaurants for speed/mobility.

Science -
 - Top Pay (Will update this.  At Level 8 it's currently 257/hour with MTTF workdays, 9:00-1:30)
 - Performance Factors:  Mood, Gardening, Handiness, Fishing (One of the more skill oriented careers)
 - Decent work hours - Seems to hover around 6 hours.
 - Occasionally you can get burned at work.
 - Standard Work Options: Business as Usual, Work Hard, Hang Out in Specimen Closet, Geek Out With Fellow Scientists, Help Boss, Independent Research.

Business -
 - Rank 10, Power Broker started at around $400/h.  Workdays were only 8-11AM on M,T, and T.
 - Player could choose to 'Hold Meeting' at the upper levels, which lasted an hour or two and paid $750. Good for raking in cash. They should have called this Srs Bsns.
 - The company occasionally gave out a 'Deliver the Top-Secret Package'/'Host a Work Party' opportunity, or some other tomfoolery.
 - It was a rather dull career, but such is business I suppose.  Undecided

Medicine -
 - Requires logic skill, and reading medical journals (not as a career opportunity, but as an aspect of job performance)
 - Don't remember that well, but I think it was just shy of 3k per day when I hit level 10. Someone else can probably give a better number.
 - Can sleep at work, or play golf at work (sleep meter and fun meter).
 - You sim has to carry a beeper and is often "on call." Occasionally, you'll get called back to work at odd hours.
 - My retired medical career sim makes 460 a day.

- Law Enforcement ( superspy / forensic analyst )
 - During the career your given your own police car and your own laptop.  
 - You also get the option to question sims to learn every detail about their traits and life status.

--Working From Home--

Hacking -
 - A full night hacking session currently nets my hacker around 3-4k. It has gone up noticeably since I started, probably due to logic gains (though possibly due to hacking experience). Logic is still around 8, so I'll update this later. Can only hack between 9pm and 7am, so it's not quite as flexible as other home careers.
 - Hacking requires the computer whiz trait, it does not appear to require any skills, and it does not boost any skills
 - Cybercrime division occasionally fries your computer (I assume the unbreakable upgrade will stop this, but haven't tested it)

Logic Problem Solving on the Computer -
 - I had initially assumed that every time I did this I'd get a harder problem and make more money, but it appears to be a random amount between $50 and $150, and I don't think it goes up. The failure rate is also very high. Not a viable way to make money, as far as I can tell, but works for getting your logic up.
 - does boost fun meter, as well as logic skill.

Writing -
 - Very slow starting, but a high ceiling. I've read one person claim they currently make 24k per week in royalties. Royalties come in every Sunday for 6 weeks from when the book is published, and you can be receiving royalties from numerous books at once. If you're not playing on Epic lifespan, getting paid once a week pretty much sucks. Especially early on, when your big payday is 2k.
 - You receive a free copy of each book you publish
 - Different types of books become available as you increase in skill. Different types have different lengths and different payouts.
 - fun meter drain and stress moodlet generator (contrast to painting, which is a fun generator).

Painting [from VeilSethekk] -
 - Seems to be in the same boat as Writing, a slow start, but a high celing. And the lack of 5-digit number earnings on painting (Compared to writing royalties) is offset by the increased frequency in terms of the time it takes to finish a painting.
 - Chance to receive a "Paint X amount of paintings" opportunity, which can rake in 5-digit earnings. I've yet to see a Sim get that more than once though, so it maybe just a one-time thing.
 - Paintings made can contribute to the "Decorated rooms" moodlets should you decide to keep them.

Gardening -
 - Time-consuming for your sim, but easy for the player thanks to EA adopting an auto-garden script that some brilliant person had for Sims2.  Wink
 - Not very profitable from what I can tell. A stack of 200 low-grade veggies will net about 2k. I haven't tried selling high grade veggies yet. Plants grow very slowly, can be harvested 2-3 times, and then go barren and die.
 - There is a money tree that you can grow. Produces bags of cashable money that increase steadily. Does produce seeds occasionally. Lives much longer than other plants. Most cash seen so far is $700.
 - Sims can eat most of the foods harvested, providing quick hunger relief. The only things that I've seen harvested that are unedible were the Death Flowers and the Money Tree cash bags. This is really useful if you're off on a fishing or hiking trip and get hungry.
 - Massive hygiene drain (about equivalent to working out).

Fishing -
 - As with TS2, it's possibly to reel in objects. Guitars seem common.
 - Perfect quality deathfish look to sell for about $900-$1k. Fishing for deathfish looks like it could be pretty lucrative. Too bad they're only available from midnight to 2 am.
 - Other than the deathfish, no real money to be made.

« Last Edit: 2009 June 09, 03:30:18 by redwards » Logged
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Career Profitability and Perks
« Reply #1 on: 2009 May 27, 20:14:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just going to throw in some random notes for you - hopefully it's helpful:

Notes for Fishing:

Randomly collected junk can occasionally be quite valuable.  I reeled in a laptop that way.  Also picked up a birthday cake. 

Athletics:

I have to check my game for exact numbers, but at the top, they bring in a sizable sum and can also do autograph signings and advertising deals.  Work schedule sucks though - 3 work days and 2 game days.  Performance factors: relationship with boss, relationship with teammates, athletic skills and (after a certain point) how the team does in games.  Extra perk: family members can attend games for free.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
VeilSethekk
Horrible Halfwit

Nothing less.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 May 27, 20:23:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's what I've gotten from the Painting experiences so far:

Painting:

-Seems to be in the same boat as Writing, a slow start, but a high celing. And the lack of 5-digit number earnings on painting (Compared to writing royalties) is offset by the increased frequency in terms of the time it takes to finish a painting.
-Chance to receive a "Paint X amount of paintings" opportunity, which can rake in 5-digit earnings. I've yet to see a Sim get that more than once though, so it maybe just a one-time thing.
-Paintings made can contribute to the "Decorated rooms" moodlets should you decide to keep them.

And I'll add these few things to Gardening:

-The money trees don't produce seeds, but only bags of cashable money. I haven't seen a money tree die yet, though.
-Sims can eat most of the foods harvested, providing quick hunger relief. The only things that I've seen harvested that are unedible were the Death Flowers and the Money Tree cash bags.
« Last Edit: 2009 May 27, 20:30:28 by VeilSethekk » Logged

Yes, there's nothing else to see here.
malianx
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 May 27, 20:31:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think probably the do x amount of y wishes are tiered for each profession. Probably directly linked to the amounts in the journal as well.

Paint x, Catch x fish, Upgrade x objects etc...
gyrobot
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 May 27, 20:38:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Culinary

-Very low maintenance Career, requiring only cooking as the only skill with good workplace relationships.
-You get an improved Food Processor and a Fridge that boosts all food quality by 1. Leftovers also last longer in that fridge.
-You get half price meals for the place, not that it matters since the only place worth going is the Bristo
-Can switch between restaurants for speed/mobility.

rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2009 May 27, 20:43:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some notes from my experience:

With the logic-problem solving, I have gotten as much as $200-$250 for one problem.  It does not seem to depend on logic skill, and it does not seem to be affected by being in the library.  I have actually had a fairly low failure rate, and most of the failures seem to happen when my sim had the "sleepy" moodlet (the one that doesn't actually affect mood) but this was not a controlled experiment.  Also notable is that this builds fun, whereas novel-writing does not, and gardening only seems to build fun for sims who Love the Outdoors, and seriously drains hygiene for all.

Novels written in the library seem to do better than novels written at home, even at higher writing abilities.  The very first novel my sim wrote was written entirely in the library and turned out to be a "hit," whereas the second one (same genre, with about four more writing skill points) did not do as well and was not counted as a "hit".  Third novel is being written entirely in the library and seems to be doing more than twice as well as either, based on the amounts my sim gets for submitting chapters (this is a genre which is supposed to give "$$" in royalties instead of "$").  Again, not a controlled experiment.

It is difficult to start out as a novelist, though - a full-time job does not give you enough time to write, and fun is a serious issue since writing novels is still unfun (damn you, EA).  I wound up getting my sim a part-time job, which left her some time to get some work in every day and gave her some pocket change if the logic-problem-solving failed.

My plants last a lot longer than 2-3 harvestings - I think 3 may be the shortest lifespan I've seen, but I've definitely had some apple trees and lettuce plants that just seemed to keep giving and giving.  The ones that have fewer harvests seem to be the higher-level ones, which makes sense.  Also, different plants grow at different speeds and require different amounts of watering - grapes are incredibly slow, and watermelons are incredibly thirsty that I've noticed.  You can water plants with the sprinkler, and it does not appear possible to over-water them, so you can just leave it on 24-7 and never have to water anything yourself.

Also, is it possible to be arrested at the top of the Criminal track?  It's a really annoying side-effect of that career - you randomly get summoned from work by the police and go to the law enforcement building for several hours.  Your drop-down choices while you are there are "Pass the time", "Work out" (which does not seem to have any effect except increased fun and eventual fatigue), "Make friends", and "Play dominoes".  And of course, while you're in there you're "Missing work" so you lose job performance.  Also, they don't feed you.  I had to use testingcheats so that my sim didn't die.

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

redwards
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 May 27, 20:53:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, is it possible to be arrested at the top of the Criminal track?  It's a really annoying side-effect of that career - you randomly get summoned from work by the police and go to the law enforcement building for several hours.  Your drop-down choices while you are there are "Pass the time", "Work out" (which does not seem to have any effect except increased fun and eventual fatigue), "Make friends", and "Play dominoes".  And of course, while you're in there you're "Missing work" so you lose job performance.  Also, they don't feed you.  I had to use testingcheats so that my sim didn't die.

My criminal was only arrested twice, and very early on. He's been at the top for a really long time, so I suspect it's not possible to get arrested that high up.

I found jail to be vaguely amusing and not that annoying. Work out should build athletics.
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2009 May 27, 21:12:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sim got arrested at level 9 which, yeah, doesn't make any sense.  Go EA, etc., etc.  Work out should gain athletic skill, but I don't think it actually does - I did not notice any increase in the skill bar while I was there.  It's also utterly ridiculous that exercising for a few hours straight should result in fatigue when my sim can go for much longer if she's not doing the "Quick push" option (or whatever it's actually called).  So either way, it seems to be messed up.

redwards
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 May 27, 21:16:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sim got arrested at level 9 which, yeah, doesn't make any sense.  Go EA, etc., etc.  Work out should gain athletic skill, but I don't think it actually does - I did not notice any increase in the skill bar while I was there.  It's also utterly ridiculous that exercising for a few hours straight should result in fatigue when my sim can go for much longer if she's not doing the "Quick push" option (or whatever it's actually called).  So either way, it seems to be messed up.

I've definitely seen my sim's attributes go up from drop-down menu away activities. I've gotten athletics to the next level while at work, so I presume the jail one should work as well. I would expect them all to use the same routine. Maybe jail is just less effective than other methods.
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2009 May 27, 21:19:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I too have gotten athletics increases from work.  I have also never gotten fatigued from training athletics at work, for the entire workday, which lasts a lot longer than jail.  Training athletics at work seems to be working right.  Working out in jail seems to be broken.

Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 May 27, 21:19:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Science Career:

Top Pay (Will update this.  At Level 8 it's currently 257/hour with MTTF workdays, 9:00-1:30)

Performance Factors:  Mood, Gardening, Handiness, Fishing (One of the more skill oriented careers)
Decent work hours - Seems to hover around 6 hours.
Occasionally you can get burned at work.
Standard Work Options: Business as Usual, Work Hard, Hang Out in Specimen Closet, Geek Out With Fellow Scientists, Help Boss, Independent Research.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
simsdesperado
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 May 27, 21:21:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a sim work partime in the bookstore. The starting salary was low, I think about 150$ per hour, but very often she would get 12$ rises, so after some time she was earning about 400$ an hour. I have my game set on no aging so I'm curious myself how many more rises she can get. Also, the money tree dropped a seed in my game after some time and the money bags increase in value with time, the largest I've cashed in was about 700$. I'm considering starting a money tree orchard, they live a lot longer than any other plant.
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2009 May 27, 21:24:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a sim work partime in the bookstore. The starting salary was low, I think about 150$ per hour,

Uh, no.  You mean $30 an hour, $90 a day.  When you get the third (and top) level, you get $50 a hour, $150 a day.  After that there are no more promotions, and you just get the $12 raises.

Maximillian
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 May 27, 21:33:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Business:

Rank 10, Power Broker started at around $400/h.  Workdays were only 8-11AM on M,T, and T.
Player could choose to 'Hold Meeting' at the upper levels, which lasted an hour or two and paid $750. Good for raking in cash. They should have called this Srs Bsns.
The company occasionally gave out a 'Deliver the Top-Secret Package'/'Host a Work Party' opportunity, or some other tomfoolery.

It was a rather dull career, but such is business I suppose.  Undecided

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 May 27, 21:49:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

- Painting
The opportunities to paint x paintings for a building can happen more than once but is extremely rare.  I had it happen 2 or 3 times in my sims lifetime.  From starting painting at the age of a teen and painting everyday while stopping to build one or two other skills to the date of death he made over 350k.  He did however have the perfectionist trait and the lifetime reward to be artistic to make his paintings better.  Each painting netted him between 2k - 4k at max painting skill, may require some experience to get up that high can't quite remember.

- Law Enforcement
You get the choice to become a superspy or a ferensic analyst.  During the career your given your own police car and your own laptop.  You also get the option to question sims to learn every detail about their traits and life status.  At high levels you have the option to workout at your job to improve athletics.  You can also make friends with coworkers and i think there was an option to solve crimes which supposed gives a performance hit but can have good benefits, i didn't actually try it out.
redwards
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 May 27, 21:53:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

is that ~2k for a small and ~4k for a large?

I assumed that the small and large paintings had appropriately different completion times and values, but I never bothered to time it.
MickeyJR
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 May 27, 21:56:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let me throw a couple things in here.

Law Enforcement:
At level 6 or so you get a Police Cruiser, and the chance to branch off to either Forensics Analyst or Secret Service. (I think thy were showing you can make branching jobs. I don't know if there are any more that do this.)
Make about 2.3k a day with my level 10 with my FA.
You also gaing the ability to question people, this allows you to learn all their traits. Level 6 I think.
When you take FA you also gain the ability to Forensics Study on the computer which rakes in $600 in about 3 or 4 hours. Nice to have when preggers.
When you get to level 4 you can also apprehend burglers, dunno how this works as I haven't had the chance yet.
You can work out on job as long as you have Athletics skill.

Another thing you might mention is with any job that has the option of doing extra work:
Like Law Enforcement = Special Investigation Case
Science = Independant Research Project

These if they work out can do one of two things:
Raise your rank or Give you cash raise.

My level 8 Law Enforcement (FA) got a couple raises and I think it carries over to the next level.
redwards
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 May 27, 22:00:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another thing you might mention is with any job that has the option of doing extra work:

Sounds like these are just job-specific variations on "work extra hard"

I think every job has that in there somewhere.
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 May 27, 22:01:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

is that ~2k for a small and ~4k for a large?

I assumed that the small and large paintings had appropriately different completion times and values, but I never bothered to time it.

Sorry about that 2k to 4k was for a large painting only.  I think small was between 600 to 1.2k but i didn't really paint them much aside from doing the painting opporutnities.  Also if i remember correctly depending on your paintings value and how many you need to paint for those opporunities you can earn up to 6 figures.  Oh i also forgot you can rarely get an opportunity to paint a single painting for a sim.

Oh i also forgot to list he had the artistic trait as well.
« Last Edit: 2009 May 27, 22:17:01 by LFox » Logged
Immortal
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 May 27, 22:02:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fishing -
 - No idea on income, as I haven't tried to sell many fish
 - As of level 9, began occasionally reeling in junk. So far, a rubber ducky and a guitar. More valuable items are possible.

The best fish I've seen value-wise have been the deathfish and robotfish - they seem to sell for a minimum of 200; I reeled in a perfect robotfish worth 250, I'd assume a perfect deathfish would fetch 300'ish since it's the 'ultimate' fish.

The robot fish have hilarious weights - my record so far was 952.46kg. So if you ever get a wish for catching a heavy fish, just go fish behind the science center. Cheesy
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 May 27, 22:04:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Science: At the top, level 10, you get to do experiments on all furniture at home. It mostly makes the items give out mood boosts or have a higher room score, but can also backfire, giving bad moodlets or emitting annoying sounds. Quite fun to mess around with.

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
MickeyJR
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 May 27, 22:08:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like these are just job-specific variations on "work extra hard"

I think every job has that in there somewhere.

No, if it fails or works it will change your Sim back to carry on as usual. I have watched this very closely. I have gotten a raise when it said my case succeded and it switched me back to the casual work. I had to change it back to the investigation one. It also has the Work Hard selection too.
« Last Edit: 2009 May 27, 22:14:21 by mickeyjr » Logged
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 May 27, 22:08:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Junk can be fished up at any level (even 0). Fish come faster after reaching certain achievement levels (you can see them under Skills, in the skill journal) and of course are easier to catch with the appropriate bait.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
WandersFar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 May 27, 22:18:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Journalism:

Skills Required: Writing from the beginning, Charisma at the higher levels. (Surprisingly, Creativity is NOT required at all. Because it no longer exists, my mistake.)

Friends: Indirectly required to gain Charisma skill after the first few points. It is possible to get quite far (around level 7) with minimal friends (3, in my sim's case) however. The game recommends you befriend the boss, though I didn't notice much benefit.

Other Requirements: At the higher levels, job performance is ostensibly influenced by the quality and frequency of your articles, interviews, and reviews, though my sim hasn't written anything but novels since level 6 or so with no effect.

Perks: Under "Special" interactions, your sim gains the ability to Interview. This allows you to discover all five traits of any sim very quickly. Also, there is a special writing skill achievement ("Feature Article Writer") that increases the chances of producing hits and bestsellers. This appears to be exclusive to Journalists. The indirect perk is you're more or less required to max Writing, which makes it an ideal career if you want to concentrate on novel-writing primarily, and do a traditional career on the side.

Salary: At level 10, Star News Anchor, I believe the starting salary was around 700 or 800 (not sure exactly.) With raises from maxing job performance, my sim is currently making 900+.

Hours: For level 10, Star News Anchor, M W Th F : 8:00 am - noon.

Opportunities: Interview City Councilman -- go to City Hall for a couple hours. Save your branch from being closed by the network -- write a bestselling article. A few other opportunities were similarly based on writing hit or bestselling articles. All successful opportunities result in higher job performance, money (not much, usually around 300) and sometimes, better relations with your boss, whatever that's worth.

Job-Specific Working Technique: Practice Writing (increases writing skill) and Discuss News With Co-workers (increases relationship score with co-workers).

Level 10 Vehicle: Margaret Vaguester - speed 10.
« Last Edit: 2009 May 27, 23:07:28 by wandersfar » Logged
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2009 May 27, 22:27:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Surprisingly, Creativity is NOT required at all.

There is no Creativity skill in TS3 - there is a Writing skill, a Painting skill, and a Guitar skill.  This is a great improvement, IMO.  I've always been annoyed by how you can have sims in TS2 that do nothing but play the piano and then they magically have the ability to write best-sellers as well.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: