More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 14:02:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Processor/Ram vs Graphics Card?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Processor/Ram vs Graphics Card?  (Read 7540 times)
Cerridwen
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Processor/Ram vs Graphics Card?
« on: 2009 June 09, 02:14:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm looking to purchase a new laptop to play Sims2 and 3.  Yes I know desktops are better for games, but my situation is requiring a laptop.

I'm looking at laptops with the following :

Dell
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9550 (2.66GHz/1066Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
250GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) with Free Fall Sensor
256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

vs

HP
Intel® Core™2 Duo processor P8600  (2.4GHz /1066MHz FSB/ 3MB L2 cache)
6GB DDR2
500GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics

vs

ASUS
Intel Core 2 Duo  P8600(2.4GHz/1066MHzFSB/  L2 Cache 3MB )
4GB DDR2
320GB  @7200rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M  1GB DDR2 VRAM

Any obvious winners? All are around the same price with the Dell being a bit more. 
What is more important?  Better Processor/RAM like the dell with a lower graphics card or Better Graphics Like the Asus. 
Or the mid range HP that has the slower hard drive. 

Need some advice please.  Thanks!

wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
Re: Processor/Ram vs Graphics Card?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 09, 02:28:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most of the HP machine was probably built by ASUS.
I am guessing you are primarily interested in gaming, go for the 512MB or 1MB video card. I only have 512MB graphics memory here (although a newer GeForce card) and I can run on full everything.
The game loads so fast, I am not sure that the disk speed will be noticeable between the two. And the 10% processor speed increase will also not be noticeable outside of a benchmark program.
The RAM is a plus, especially if you hop between the game and the internet and chat and whatnot. If you lock the doors, unplug the internet and play the game exclusively, the extra RAM will likely not be used.
Bass Junkie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 09, 04:23:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most of the HP machine was probably built by ASUS.
I am guessing you are primarily interested in gaming, go for the 512MB or 1MB video card. I only have 512MB graphics memory here (although a newer GeForce card) and I can run on full everything.
The game loads so fast, I am not sure that the disk speed will be noticeable between the two. And the 10% processor speed increase will also not be noticeable outside of a benchmark program.
The RAM is a plus, especially if you hop between the game and the internet and chat and whatnot. If you lock the doors, unplug the internet and play the game exclusively, the extra RAM will likely not be used.

This, plus RAM can be upgraded a lot easier than a laptop video card.
Cerridwen
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 09, 05:25:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the replies - looks like that model of dell is out then.  I'm going to look around a bit more but I'll stick with better video card.  Keeping in mind RAM can be updated later.  Smiley
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 09, 05:37:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the replies - looks like that model of dell is out then.  I'm going to look around a bit more but I'll stick with better video card.  Keeping in mind RAM can be updated later.  Smiley
RAM is very easy to upgrade.  BTW, if these are custom builds, don't upgrade the memory directly from the manufacture. They charge insane amounts, and usually you can install it yourself for way less. Also, since these are laptops it would be a really good idea to get a cooling pad to put them on. Those are very powerful graphics chips and will put out a ton of heat when playing games.

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
Bass Junkie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 09, 05:53:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

RAM is very easy to upgrade.  BTW, if these are custom builds, don't upgrade the memory directly from the manufacture. They charge insane amounts, and usually you can install it yourself for way less. Also, since these are laptops it would be a really good idea to get a cooling pad to put them on. Those are very powerful graphics chips and will put out a ton of heat when playing games.

Good for Winter, though.
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 09, 07:42:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My 2.5 GHz AMD duo core runs a hell of cooler than it did with TS2. I'd say GPU and RAM are the primary concerns so I'd be looking at the Asus because, as the other posters have saud, RAM is cheap and simple to add.

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 09, 10:16:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

HDD speed will be the bottleneck.  That is, the slowest component can make the rest irrelevant. 5400 rpm is not worthy.
Zii
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 June 09, 11:27:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At the moment (pre-masses of expansion packs) 4GB RAM is more than enough - today I dropped down to 2GB to troubleshoot some BSODs and the difference is barely noticeable. Just in case you needed any more reason to get the ASUS.  Smiley
Cerridwen
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 June 09, 14:06:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hrmm.... The ASUS is off Newegg. I hesitated with that one as I'm not familiar with the brand as I am with HP or Dell.
I've been told they are a great manufacturer of motherboards and would probably make a decent laptop.
Darn decisions! 
madams
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 June 09, 15:39:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't answer your question on Ram vs. Graphics card, but I can tell you that I purchased an Asus laptop from Newegg in January and am extremely happy with the purchase. 

These are my specs and the Sims 3 runs fantastic.  I have absolutely no lagging anywhere and the display is crisp.  I run everything on high. 

Intel Core 2 Duo T9400(2.53GHz)
6GB Memory
500GB HDD 7200rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 9800M (512MB)

It sounds like the Asus you are looking at has a better graphics card than mine. 

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 June 09, 17:25:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You will generally find better deals on NewEgg then you will in the store, just so long as you make sure to shop around. By the way, skip that EggSaver shipping bullshit if you order from them, go UPS. They lost my ram on the floor somewhere, or so I assume, it was "processing" in some location for nearly three weeks before they handed it off to USPS. This wasn't the company "processing" it either, they had already sent it off.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: