More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 04:47:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Technical problems with THE HORROR: downloading, installing, and running it
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Technical problems with THE HORROR: downloading, installing, and running it  (Read 273543 times)
Jonesi
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
Re: Technical problems with THE HORROR: downloading, installing, and running it
« Reply #325 on: 2009 May 27, 16:09:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have Winrar, open it and go to File > Open Archive and browse to 001, and then hit "Extract".
Deadclown
Asinine Airhead

RESIDENT PSYCHO

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: 2009 May 27, 19:48:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

rzr-s3cf.001 - 4,007,879

That's the file I have been using as the crack fix. But it doesn't matter now I used the Razor install and the Reloaded exe and it works fine. and that patch works with it also. I even get the Razor version info in the bin file. BUT atm my powersupply fan is knackered so I can't really play anything yet.

The doc fixed your arteries! That's ka-blamo!
your mouthwash is gargly! That's ka-blamo!
your water is watery! That's ka-blamo!
I majored in pottery! NOT KABLAMO.
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: 2009 May 28, 03:14:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate that I'm missing out on being able to play before the release date. But after buying a new psu and replacing my old case with a new Antec Nine Hundred, it's still crashing a few minutes in. I think it could be because I'm using stock thermal compound on both my video card and processor, so I ordered some Arctic Silver 5, but that won't be here until Monday. I thought changing my case, buying a new power supply and installing a VGA cooler would be enough, but I guess not. But now my computer is even crashing on Guild Wars (that's never happened before) so apparently whatever's wrong, it's getting worse.
malianx
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: 2009 May 28, 03:21:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate that I'm missing out on being able to play before the release date. But after buying a new psu and replacing my old case with a new Antec Nine Hundred, it's still crashing a few minutes in. I think it could be because I'm using stock thermal compound on both my video card and processor, so I ordered some Arctic Silver 5, but that won't be here until Monday. I thought changing my case, buying a new power supply and installing a VGA cooler would be enough, but I guess not. But now my computer is even crashing on Guild Wars (that's never happened before) so apparently whatever's wrong, it's getting worse.

Are you sure it's heat related and not memory or disk?
JonaBullets
Corpulent Cretin

aka: JonaFootBullets

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: 2009 May 28, 03:24:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried running Everest on your PC, to check what all hardware temps are, and recording them down? That would be my best bet, to see if it is heat related.
Grab a copy of it from some where, Install it, and start recording the information, then play Sims or Guild Wars, and then when it crashes, or stuffs up... You can go back to it, and see if its a heat issue, records by the software.

But like malianx said, it might be a RAM or HDD thing. See how you go, and let us know? Happy to help, or try to :S

Smile.
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: 2009 May 28, 04:43:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From experience, it could be a fried graphics card. I had a card with only the 3D part fried so the pc was fine as long as I didn't try to play a game... Cry

INTJ
Tacuitacitum
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: 2009 May 28, 10:24:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got artifacts on my games before my old graphics card kicked in - if your RAM is seated next to your CPU and your CPU's been overheating due to lacking thermal compound, then it could be your RAM. RAM can bugger your OS and make it unbootable (trust me) if some system files go through it and get scrambled, so best catch it early. Especially if you're noticing more crashes just after an install/uninstall/update.

Try Memcheck (which you'll need to burn to disc and run before DOS) to check for errors on your RAM. I had something like 17,000 errors and still counting from heat-damaged RAM.
Haven't tried Everest, but failing that, Speedfan can give you HDD temps and CPU load and temps.
ATI Tray Tools or RivaTuner can give you GPU load and temps.
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: 2009 May 28, 10:38:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also I would check your event logs to see if there are any clues. Are you monitoring your temperatures? What's making you so sure this is temperature related?
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: 2009 May 28, 11:03:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stupid question 5,006: My poor dying computer says it can't run the game because it doesn't support Shader Model 2 (runs fine on my husband's computer, of course). Is there any way I can trick my computer into starting it anyway, by editing the graphic rules file as was done for TS2, or would that just break the game even if I got it to load?

I would like to run it (even at all low settings) on this computer for a bit. Buying a new one (or upgrading the video card and it can't take a new card anyway as it needs more upgrades than that) isn't an option right now and isn't really necessary anyway as there are 2 other machines in the house that will run the game. I'd just like to know if it was possible.

Unsouper
Mixreality
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: 2009 May 28, 11:33:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not necessarily TS3 related:

I see that the people are panicking here when their graphic card temps are anywhere in the range 60-90 C. My card idles at 70 C and gets as far as around 115 C when running TS3 (few degrees less with TS2). I've had 2 crashes (lockups, actually) but it mostly runs just fine with all settings maxed. CAS crawls like a snail and saving the game takes ages, but everything else is perfect. I think the lockups don't happen when the game runs on one core. No lockups in TS2.

The card is underclocked with PowerStrip, by about 10-15%. It doesn't work at all with default settings. I tried to pull it out to see if it's fried or melted, but couldn't (take it out)  Roll Eyes I haven't noticed any visual damage.

My prime suspects are the card, of course, and the power supply. I'm not buying anything new, any time soon. When it goes, it goes. The question is, am I damaging other components (motherboard etc.) when I'm running the game?

(Also, the case is closed and the insides are incredibly filthy. I'll get to it one of these days. It's also hot in here, when it's not, the temps are lower by 10 degrees).

TashaYarrr
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: 2009 May 28, 11:50:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sagana, what video card or chipset do you have? If you're not sure, google "how to get a dxdiag".
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: 2009 May 28, 11:58:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's an ATI Raedon 9250 video card.

Unsouper
kennyinbmore
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: 2009 May 28, 12:51:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's an ATI Raedon 9250 video card.

That card is a dinosaur luv. My son's pc has a Radeon X-300 that I thought wouldn't run it, but it does. I think that 9250 is is the old PCI, not even PCI-E
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: 2009 May 28, 12:59:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, it is. So is the computer and the computer itself would have to be upgraded to upgrade to a better video card. It's not worth that. That doesn't answer the question though. Can I trick the dinosaur into running the game or is it impossible?

Unsouper
kennyinbmore
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: 2009 May 28, 13:22:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, it is. So is the computer and the computer itself would have to be upgraded to upgrade to a better video card. It's not worth that. That doesn't answer the question though. Can I trick the dinosaur into running the game or is it impossible?

I don't have a PHD in computers, although I have a built a few in my day and I'd have to say not happening
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: 2009 May 28, 13:34:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks! It was worth a shot. Especially as it appears the problem is with "shaders model 2" which is the same thing you can change in the graphics rules text file in TS2 but maybe TS3 is more dependent on it. But not a big deal, hubby will just have to share Wink

Unsouper
TashaYarrr
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: 2009 May 28, 14:15:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks! It was worth a shot. Especially as it appears the problem is with "shaders model 2" which is the same thing you can change in the graphics rules text file in TS2 but maybe TS3 is more dependent on it. But not a big deal, hubby will just have to share Wink

I'm hesitant to make any unequivocal statement when I don't have the game in front of me, but I think directx is up to Shader Model 3.0, at least in some games. I think I saw a similar graphics rule file, but again, not at home. :\ I think the bottom line is that even if you can trick it into working, gameplay is going to be sluggish and miserable. I know 'upgrade your computer' is easier said than done, but if your system only takes PCI video cards, I'm not sure it's worth spending money on what will be another older-generation video card. In other words, I think you probably need a new box at this point.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: 2009 May 28, 14:42:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*nod* Thanks. I actually suspected that was the answer, but thought I'd ask before I gave up altogether. A new computer is in the works down the road a bit and as we do actually have good ones that will run the game, it's not that big a deal, but my husband and I skipped kindergarten and 'doesn't play well with others' belongs on our report card. I was hoping not to have to share just to play around with it.

Unsouper
snowluv
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: 2009 May 28, 14:58:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There seems to be alot of talk about video cards overheating and causing game glitches. And, although I may be wrong in my numbers here, most of those cards with heat issues seem to be from the ATI family.  Am I wrong in assuming this? I am concerned because my computer has a 1950X.  And if this thing starts heating up and causing RAM issues, it's getting replaced. Fast. I really prefer the nVidia series, and if the ATI cards are heating up, I'll switch. In a heartbeat.  Before I purchased this computer I had heard talk about some of the ATI cards having temperature issues. I was reluctant to put an ATI card in the new set up but they gave me a really good price on it and I bit.  Is it now gonna bite me in the ass when I play The Sims 3?
Lum
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: 2009 May 28, 15:18:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This might be helpful info or not, but my ancient ATI Radeon 9600 with 1GB of pitiful RAM runs Sims 3 just fine (in mostly low settings, of course.) If I crank up for sim detail, special effects and lighting, but leave the town details on low, it looks presentable and good enough.

Hope to get a new video card over the summer, though.
snowluv
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: 2009 May 28, 15:35:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the info, Lum. But I think I am going to replace this one anyway. I have never been totally happy with it's  performance. And I find the Catalyst Control Center useless. It's been in the computer for two years now, and I have really put it through some heavy playing.  Hours upon hours of Sims as well as other graphic-intense games. I want to be sure I get the full impact of The Sims 3 experience.  The last time I searched for updated drivers for this card, ATI  had a statement up that they weren't going to post any new drivers for this card on their site but I could go to another site to search for newer drivers.  Well, I guess that kinda means this one has been replaced by something newer and shinier.  Methinks I want a newer, shinier card.  Grin
kennyinbmore
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: 2009 May 28, 15:42:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There seems to be alot of talk about video cards overheating and causing game glitches. And, although I may be wrong in my numbers here, most of those cards with heat issues seem to be from the ATI family.  Am I wrong in assuming this? I am concerned because my computer has a 1950X.  And if this thing starts heating up and causing RAM issues, it's getting replaced. Fast. I really prefer the nVidia series, and if the ATI cards are heating up, I'll switch. In a heartbeat.  Before I purchased this computer I had heard talk about some of the ATI cards having temperature issues. I was reluctant to put an ATI card in the new set up but they gave me a really good price on it and I bit.  Is it now gonna bite me in the ass when I play The Sims 3?

I don't have that particular card, but my ati hd 4850 is running the game as smooth as silk. I believe I have a newer card so that may not help you
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: 2009 May 28, 16:45:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also I would check your event logs to see if there are any clues. Are you monitoring your temperatures? What's making you so sure this is temperature related?

I'm honestly not sure if it is a heating issue, especially since getting the VGA cooler and switching the case didn't help much. My new case has four 120mm fans, 2 in the front, 1 on the side, 1 on in the back and it has a 200mm top fan. All those fans have multiple speeds, so I could try turning them up if needed. I also have a rather large heatsink/fan combo over my CPU. I am pretty certain, though, that it is likely my video card and not my RAM because when the screen goes black or gray when playing TS3, or orange when playing Guild Wars, it tends to act a few seconds later like the monitor isn't connected, (I get the No Input Signal message on the monitor) while the computer is still obviously on. And if I try to just push the restart button, it won't always get the signal back right off, so I've been turning it off for 10 minutes or longer when that happens.

I posted on the tech forum where they told me it was the psu causing the problems and told them it was still happening, so they now want to know about my fans, what kind of thermal compound I used or if I used the stock stuff and they want me to check my voltage and temps in BIOS. So I need to check that. I'll probably check my RAM while I'm at it just in case, because they're still under warranty. I have 3 1GB sticks and 2 are only 3 months old and the other I just got yesterday.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: 2009 May 28, 16:46:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Snowluv, mine is an ATI Sapphire Radeon x1950Pro. Addison isn't running hot at all...still cool to the touch with TS3, Photoshop, and Firefox up usually. But then, my power supply has super cooling and my box is pretty big. There's a lot of space for air flow. No crashes. No graphical issues except for a split second of white meshes when I jump across town using saved camera points.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
TapThatBooty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: 2009 May 28, 16:52:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mines is an ATI X600, and I have 2GB ram and 3 internal fans, but I keep getting crashes or automatic closing. I had this issue where the video feedback froze and the image would flash bright then dull, but the sound would play while the Sim went about her day, I have no idea what is going on.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: