More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 01:46:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Technical problems with THE HORROR: downloading, installing, and running it
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Technical problems with THE HORROR: downloading, installing, and running it  (Read 273754 times)
Exiled
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Technical problems with THE HORROR: downloading, installing, and running it
« Reply #50 on: 2009 May 19, 20:18:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh, my computer has crashed twice while trying to torrent it from Demonoid.  Complete crash - I can't even restart, I have to turn the computer off and on again.  Before it crashes, my programs start to freeze up - I browse using Opera and Firefox simultaneously, and sometimes BOTH browsers have locked up at the same time for about 20 seconds.  The music in Winamp drops and comes back on. 

I'm on Vista, using uTorrent and downloading from Demonoid.  I use Windows Firewall and NAV 2009.  Can someone troubleshoot this and figure out why this is happening?
jello
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2009 May 19, 20:46:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*unlurk* please don't eat me Tongue

Good grief, this game has my graphics card (HD 3850) instantly jumping to 99% load and 70c before the opening intro has finished, nevermind actually playing the thing. I know ATI haven't got the best reputation for good cooling, but I've not got a single app or game that manages that, and it's not an old card.

Yeah. When the game is loading or at the intro screens, or in CAS, my graphics card temperature skyrockets. My card generally runs hot anyway, but I was looking at temperatures in the high 80s. But when I start the actual game, the temperature plummets and stays at a reasonable level. Why do the intro menus do that?

It's very frustrating, especially since it doesn't seem to be a rendering issue (since as above, the game itself doesn't do it--and furthermore, when the window is not in focus, the temperature drops (even if stuff is still going on and the window is not actually covered up).
Frally
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2009 May 19, 22:29:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I spent 2 days downloading this bloody thing and now I can't install it. I'm getting an error message like so:

>SetupNew\setup.cpp(140)
PAPP:
PVENDOR:
PGUID:
$15.0.0.498

I am decidedly unawesome, so could anyone shed any light on what may be going wrong here?
JuliWolfe
Asinine Airhead

It's all about the broohaha.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2009 May 19, 22:47:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've downloaded all 15 parts from http://www.warezscene.org/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=669265 and also downloaded Daemon Tools so I can mount images, however... I'm a bit of a hopeless noob when it comes to technical stuff.

Anyone willing to hold my cold, clammy hand and tell me the steps I need to take to get from here to actually playing the game?

Dude... that's my spleen.
msalwaysright
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2009 May 19, 23:20:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

extreme lol.

I started with the mininova link my original d/l time estimate was 3ys 7wks.

I are restarting this torrent.

"Proper capitalization is important, SimplyComplex. As you will know if you have ever had to help your uncle Jack off a horse."~Jack Rudd
Frally
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2009 May 19, 23:24:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Update with my problem, just in case anyone was having the same problem:

I downloaded the fixed setup exe and it works fine now. One of the downloads had a corrupted version, and of course, that's the one I chose!
Exiled
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2009 May 19, 23:37:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My computer just crashed for a third time.  I notice that every time it freezes up, it seems that the downlaod speed drops to nothing and it takes about 20-30 seconds for it to unfreeze and download speed go up, as seen in the above picture.  Is that normal for a download? 

To test it out, I just torrented some music and it didn't freeze once.  I went to TPB and added those trackers and deleted the demonoid trackers, but it also froze and dropped off.  I've killed the download until I get further info about why this is happening and how I can prevent it.
Jarsie
Pinheaded Pissant

Chihuahuas rule and other dogs drool!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2009 May 20, 00:04:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have not posted here in a very long time. After reading all these posts, I've decided to ARRR my copy of TS3, since it doesn't look like it would be worth me spening the $50 which I don't have at the moment. My question is this:

I was going to try to DL from Pirate Bay or ISOhunt, but on both sites some guy named B_O_L_T has been posting a warning that the download contains a virus in the setup.exe file; it's a codec file. Actually, this is what this person says:

***contains virus***
The file Sims3Setup.exe is a self-deflating executable archive. It contains two files, the real "sims3setup.exe" and a file "codec.exe", the archive runs both when called by Autorun.exe. The file codec.exe is a virus dropper.

Before downloading from either site, I want to verify whether this is true or not. The Admin on PB says the DL checks out, but I"m leery of getting anyting on my computer that has a virus. Is there anyone who can verify this before I start?

MATY Buddies: Everyone on Ms. Perception's buddy list, plus the *other* Ferrets and Kookiedoe. And now Ausimpv just because it will piss a certain stupidone off, and because she asked me nicely. Oh, and Theisz, just cause I felt like adding her to my MATY buddies list.
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2009 May 20, 01:07:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Downloading from a private tracker that's open for registration, if anyone's interested. It's moving along, I should be finished in 4 hrs. since the public downloads are moving at a snail's pace.  The place is SeedGames.org. Hope it's okay to post this, if not then I am ready to be hit with nOob balls.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
Genlisae
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: 2009 May 20, 02:53:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And it would now appear I can't save. I keep getting an error 13 which according to the readme the pop up directs you to is 13: Post-save callback failure.

I have also run headlong into a complete game ruiner for me. I seem to recall this mentioned before but I can't recall where (could have been in the ingame help files for all I know) but the ageing slider applies to the current household only. Thus my sims who had a baby 5 sim days ago will still have a baby 20 somethings days from now. Meanwhile their neighbours who had a baby a day later are happily ignoring their toddler.

My monitor says I am a geek. My keyboard says I am a dork. My daughter says I am a noob. Take your pick; they all apply.
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2009 May 20, 03:00:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Getting 2 kB/s for download AND upload, and it's saying a firewall/router is limiting network traffic. How do I fix this without turning off my firewall?

Edit: it's ramped up to 16k download/0.5k upload. Umm...
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2009 May 20, 03:04:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Getting 2 kB/s for download AND upload, and it's saying a firewall/router is limiting network traffic. How do I fix this without turning off my firewall?

Edit: it's ramped up to 16k download/0.5k upload. Umm...

Make an exception in your firewall to allow your torrent program through.

coltraz
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2009 May 20, 03:07:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You guys having problems actually getting the game to download should quit using torrents and use newsgroups instead.  Cheesy Much faster.
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2009 May 20, 03:10:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Turns out it was more about where I was getting the torrent from- tried the SeedGames link above and I'm getting close to 200k. Sweet!

Interestingly, it's listing an upload speed of 70k but says "no incoming connections," even though I have my firewall set to make an exception for uTorrent.
« Last Edit: 2009 May 20, 03:20:35 by Insanity Prelude » Logged
Abbey
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2009 May 20, 03:38:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I sound like a n00bcake, I know..feel free to beat me with a wet fish. I've unrarred all this stuff, like the files and such. Do I mount the image..and by the way WHERE is the image..Anyways, in the folder, there is a .sfv, 51 .r(#) files, a file that says RELOADED, another folder which I extracted from the first .rar, it contained another rar, where I extracted the game files, which also includes the crack and auto run, the set up, and the exe, a rar called data 1, a rar called data 2, and a rar called rld-sim 3. Should I unrar the 3 rars in the game file folder, where is the image? Where do I put all this?

-goes back to lurking-
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2009 May 20, 03:42:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love how all of the noobs preface their posts by giving us free reign to beat them with various objects.

It brings a tear to my eye.

Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2009 May 20, 03:46:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, so it seems to be a port forwarding issue. I'm not sure how to fix that with Comodo, or even if I should (although it does mean I'm not, technically, seeding and that's not very polite.)

Edit: Found out how to fix it, but is it risky to do so?
noblesse_oblige
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2009 May 20, 04:08:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ETA: Edited, because I didn't see literatebse's answer before I posted.

Sadly, the fact that it's hard to tell if this game is just a release candidate or is, in fact, the real deal - that does not bode well, I think, for the critical and/or commercial success of the game.  Don't get me wrong, it's an okay game, to be sure.  But, it's kind of a one trick pony as it is.  There's about, what, a handful of items in the object catalog; only 20 something hairstyles; various annoying behaviors...and no customization allowed, except through EA's shitty, overpriced Sim Store (which is basically a bunch of TS2 object imports)?  I kept thinking, while I was playing, oh this game could be so awesome if there could be meshes and mods, but, no.  I know that without CC I'm going to get bored of this game after a few sim generations (after I've seen all the game has to offer), and then it'll back to my overly hacked, historical themed 'hoods in TS2.

And for anyone having trouble with the torrents, have you tried the rapidshare and netload download options?  After I hit a 24.6% wall, I switched to downloading the 400mb pieces on netload, and I got the game within a few hours.
Lum
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2009 May 20, 04:18:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Seedgames link is a lifesaver for me after waiting for two days. It consolidated the 30% I had already downloaded; it should be done overnight.
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2009 May 20, 04:51:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Holy crap. It just went up to 500 kb/s.

Anyway, yeah... I want to believe too, from what I'm hearing, but it really wouldn't surprise me if this were the final, bugs and all.

Edit: Followed the directions to get Comodo to do port forwarding- it still says "no incoming connections" but I'm getting great download speed and uTorrent claims I've uploaded 400 MB. I'm confused.

Son of Edit: Looks like there was just a lag in the status reporting thingy.
« Last Edit: 2009 May 20, 05:03:49 by Insanity Prelude » Logged
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2009 May 20, 05:02:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lucky jerkhead. I'm grabbing the SeedGames one, too, and mine refuses to go over 70 kb/s. Stupid university network.

Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2009 May 20, 05:21:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lucky jerkhead. I'm grabbing the SeedGames one, too, and mine refuses to go over 70 kb/s. Stupid university network.

That's still probably a lot better than the TPB one.

Stupid thing's back to saying there's no incoming connections... so how can I have uploaded anything?
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2009 May 20, 05:27:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine went between 900 kb/s and 1 mb/s. Actually, I think that's the highest speed I've ever gotten for a torrent. I got mine from TorrentSeed.
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: 2009 May 20, 05:30:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, my neighbor's wifi conked out at 2 AM last night, and I'm now at a coffee shop.  Mininova torrent has been downloading for about 30 hours, and is about 60% done, but I'm not really sure it's worth waiting it out, after reading the posts since I was last here and Zazazu's pictures/descriptions.  I did think it might be interesting to see what the unplayed sims did on their own on high autonomy, but it doesn't look like they actually do anything interesting, and the generic fugliness is unimpressive.  I mean, I like fugly sims in TS2 - their faces are interesting, and have character.  These sims are just generically pudgy and/or square-shaped.  Also, I was kind of hoping that it would be easy to switch houses, and sims rolling wants for spawn they shouldn't even know exist is definitely not cool.

I'm not sure it actually matters whether the Reloaded version is a beta or not, as I'm not convinced that EA could do much better anyway.

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

dashakatrina
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2009 May 20, 05:59:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

im not sure if i can ask this here

but i need help installing the game

so i installed the game

but i have no idea where to put the crack

thrs nothing that says installdirGameBin

so where exactly do i put it