More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 09:41:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  The Good, the Bad, and the Randomly @Toaded
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Good, the Bad, and the Randomly @Toaded  (Read 109678 times)
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Randomly @Toaded
« Reply #50 on: 2009 May 21, 17:30:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I understand it, it looks like making stuff like clothing and objects is doable.  What is going to be difficult is more advanced modding, like, I guess, Macrotastics and FFS Lot Debugger.

But as stated above, they're working on it.  (And it's not like it hasn't taken 5 years to get SimPe to the point where it can do what it does now. So patience is a virture.)
Pinstar
Blathering Buffoon

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: 2009 May 22, 00:19:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I understand it, it looks like making stuff like clothing and objects is doable.  What is going to be difficult is more advanced modding, like, I guess, Macrotastics and FFS Lot Debugger.

But as stated above, they're working on it.  (And it's not like it hasn't taken 5 years to get SimPe to the point where it can do what it does now. So patience is a virture.)

Wasn't that the point of the whole "make your own thing" thing they tried to promote, or did they reverse that out and decide that the only new content you'll get will have to be bought through the store?

I know the whole 'create a style" tool is up and running, but that is just recolors. Are they seriously limiting new custom made meshes/objects?
Or am I not understanding this correctly?

What kind of Legacy will YOU leave?
Fat D
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2009 May 22, 00:22:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

who knows what they will do... paid subscriptions for content-making licenses, tools that force exchange use, full control of CC...

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2009 May 22, 00:29:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wasn't that the point of the whole "make your own thing" thing they tried to promote, or did they reverse that out and decide that the only new content you'll get will have to be bought through the store?

I know the whole 'create a style" tool is up and running, but that is just recolors. Are they seriously limiting new custom made meshes/objects?

As far as I understand it, the "make your own thing" they were promoting was always only about the recolours.  The "make your own thing" was always pushed in conjunction with (or as part of) the create a style tool.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
seanachai
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2009 May 22, 00:31:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, what Lerf said in what you quoted is that as he understands it, making clothes and objects -- I'm presuming he meant actually making new ones and not recoloring them -- is doable, but we don't really know yet. I guess we will find out in due time. But it might take awhile even if it is doable ... I'm sure all of you remember pretty well that it took something like six months for people to understand how to make new meshes for TS2. (That wasn't very long after I started playing TS2 and I was like, "Durrr .. what are meshes ...")
Soggy Fox
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2009 May 22, 00:31:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is annoying is that at one point, stairs were supposed to be recolourable, but that seems to have been removed - also, while open underneath visibly, they don't function as if they were open underneath.

Sammy
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2009 May 22, 02:29:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The stairs piss me off. We don't have stages anymore and, of course, no spiral staircases! I assume Eaxis will leave that for one of the very last expansion packs. We don't even have a light-wood coloured stair option. There's like, what, six choices? Bah humbug.
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2009 May 22, 02:30:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, what Lerf said in what you quoted is that as he understands it, making clothes and objects -- I'm presuming he meant actually making new ones and not recoloring them -- is doable, but we don't really know yet. I guess we will find out in due time. But it might take awhile even if it is doable ... I'm sure all of you remember pretty well that it took something like six months for people to understand how to make new meshes for TS2. (That wasn't very long after I started playing TS2 and I was like, "Durrr .. what are meshes ...")

Yes, I meant actually making new ones--meshes and patterns--not just recoloring.  And, my husband says I'm a she.  But that's ok, it's hard to tell.  Especially as I eschew avatars.  (it's a religious thing.)
seanachai
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2009 May 22, 03:20:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I meant actually making new ones--meshes and patterns--not just recoloring.  And, my husband says I'm a she.  But that's ok, it's hard to tell.  Especially as I eschew avatars.  (it's a religious thing.)

Sorry! My gender observation skills seem to be way off lately. On S2C/MTS2 I made the terrible mistake of referring to Inge as a "he" (sorry, Inge, I lurk and don't pay much attention) and some annoying little twat got all in my face about it. (Honestly, I think that had little to do with why they got all bitchy, anyway. I think I have a "bother bother bother me" sign stuck to me on that forum).
Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2009 May 22, 04:06:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And, my husband says I'm a she.  But that's ok, it's hard to tell.  Especially as I eschew avatars.  (it's a religious thing.)

Sorry! My gender observation skills seem to be way off lately. On S2C/MTS2 I made the terrible mistake of referring to Inge as a "he" (sorry, Inge, I lurk and don't pay much attention) and some annoying little twat got all in my face about it. (Honestly, I think that had little to do with why they got all bitchy, anyway. I think I have a "bother bother bother me" sign stuck to me on that forum).

The default gender in this forum is female until proven otherwise. You are not the first one to make the male assumption!

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow. If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
snowluv
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2009 May 22, 04:13:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, after hearing about the bugs and annoyances and things left out, I think EA delayed the release of the game merely to tighten it's control over The Sims3.  But, heck, such a thing is futile. Did SecuROM work..umm,no.  Is their little Store raking in millions...umm,no. Were they able to keep it under lock and key until it's release date...umm,no. I think it is time for all of us to P&L at EA. I have read the likes and dislikes, and we will have to live with them until the modders get their sharp little teeth into the whole ' We'll show them, HAHAHA ' attitude. We fans will not be denied our Sims or our control over our Sims. We bought the game, the EPs, the SPs, so basically, we own them.  EA doesn't want to play nice, so all bets are off. By not playing nice with us they pissed us off and made themselves a target for a take-down.  And I will financially help anyone who has a part in making this happen. Bell, himself, stated there would be a way to turn off Story Mode and that went bye bye.  And the vids they put up everywhere were obviously off the mark. What the hell?

They have no scruples, and I hate companies that teach their staff the art of double-speak. Good ole Ben sitting there and smiling nicely into the camera, all the while lying through his teeth. And the Maxoids with their posts about no SecuROM. Gawd, what a bunch of losers.  Angry
dolldrms
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2009 May 22, 05:06:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This thread has brought me out of lurk mode.  If it turns out that the likes of a JMP cannot, or will not, mod the TS3 game and the only new content option is from the Sims Store, the game went from having reached a definite want on my part to reconsidering that decision.

I already had reservations about the style of game play.  I like to set up scenarios and things to accomplish amongst my Sim families.  I like micromanagement and have great fun rotating play of families in a neighborhood.  I fall in the camp of those who just plain don't want their Sims living their Sim lives without direct supervision.  Since Mr. Pescado and others that are now playing TS3 do have good things to say about the game design, as well as pointing out shortcomings, I figured I could play both TS2 and TS3.  There is no law to keep me from playing TS2 for the familiar style of play that I know I like and swapping to TS3 for a change of pace, except now I'm not sure I want to invest in TS3. 

I am not totally surprised to hear the scripts are designed not to accept 3rd party modification.  As soon as I realized there was to be a Sims3 store, I suspected such might be the case.  It is, however, most disappointing to see it confirmed in this thread and this is what could actually keep me from buying the game.  IMHO, the Sims franchise has been kept strong via mods and cc for the game created by some immensely talented individuals that exist within the Sims Community.  It's difficult for me to understand why EA is not comprehending by now that if a fan base feels to be a part of the game via creative involvement…. that they stay loyal to the product.  It's win win for both EA and players for the community to be involved.  EA has a bunch of unpaid employees keeping their game going strong and the community gets what it needs/wants.

I have to also add that fixes and game play improvement provided by the modding community are of ultra importance to me.  I actually consider myself to be a lightweight as to the number of hacks in my game but I have 40 or so installed.  That doesn't reflect a glowing endorsement for playing a Sims release as is and/or even patched by the company.  In case anyone wonders after reading the prior statement, all but one of my hacks has come from MATY so my game is not riddled with conflicts.  The Hack Conflict Utility is a must have, again my opinion, to help ensure conflicts remain at bay.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread for further info about modding possibility/feasibility, especially after the game officially debuts, just in case there is a difference between the leaked and official disk version.  I know that's doubtful but can't be ruled out with certainty until someone has an actual disk in hand.  At that time, if JMP's red line hits the black line before the green line hits the red line, odds are TS2 was my last Sims installation.  That won't devastate me, though.  Thanks to the modding community TS2 is a game I thoroughly enjoy, with the exception of EA needing to issue an M&G patch.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: 2009 May 22, 07:25:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't offend me if people mistake my gender, it's not like you can see my lumpy chest from where you are Smiley

I still remember reading magazine articles where some senior EA rep is saying things like "No that won't be possible when the game ships, but clever modders will find a way round it" - and I take that as my invitation to try and find a way to hack the game with their blessing.   They'd be laughed out of court if they tried to sue us for making mods or tools, having gone public with things like that.  As well as precedent where for years they have at the very least turned a blind eye to the game being reverse engineered for this purpose, if not frankly celebrated and shared the results!

If I were to receive a C&D notice, I would respect it.  Until that time I am going to assume they're as happy about hacking now as they have always been.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2009 May 22, 07:57:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are no memories and no records of "Opportunities" achieved, or anything else achieved.

It is doing my head in.  I *like* creating a sims history, it's imaginative and helps me give personality to my sims.  This is the biggest DONOTWANT for me so far. 

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

suziblue
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2009 May 22, 13:05:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*delurk*

There are no memories and no records of "Opportunities" achieved, or anything else achieved.

This is one of the things that bothers me the most. I want memories and I want the photo album back. Those are how I keep my story straight even if I don't write a single word I still have record to refer to.
Soggy Fox
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2009 May 22, 15:48:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I actually suspect that making new body meshes will be trickier than objects, because you have to adjust for -every- single permutation - I hope I'm wrong, because the hair styles blow goats right now, but it does worry me anyway.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2009 May 22, 15:53:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This thread has brought me out of lurk mode.  If it turns out that the likes of a JMP cannot, or will not, mod the TS3 game and the only new content option is from the Sims Store, the game went from having reached a definite want on my part to reconsidering that decision.

it turns out that he can, and will.

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
daydreamer
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2009 May 22, 16:21:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone know where the Garden section is? One of my sims want to garden, I can't seem to find the section for nothing.
Heodez
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: 2009 May 22, 16:26:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone know where the Garden section is? One of my sims want to garden, I can't seem to find the section for nothing.
There is no such thing : to garden your sims needs to have seeds (or fruits, veggies) in his inventory, and he'll plant them by himself. (click on them to bring up the pie menu) There no need to put down earth, there's no greenhouse or composter.

Forever Night, a sims 2 story.
WIP
daydreamer
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2009 May 22, 16:35:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you buy the seeds or do you find them like with the bugs and crystal rocks?
Trickster
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2009 May 22, 17:02:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you buy the seeds or do you find them like with the bugs and crystal rocks?

With a high enough gardening skill you can plant all vegetables you can buy at the supermarket, although you can also find them at various quality levels. Special seeds have to be collected. Seeds are all over the town, even in the "forests". Haven't found the Omniplant seed yet, though.
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2009 May 22, 17:04:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, you can find seeds or plant fruits and vegetables. Also, when Jocasta Bachelor gained her first point of gardening skill it automatically gave her a few apple, tomato and grape seeds, but I don't know if that occurs for all families.
kattenijin
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2009 May 22, 17:34:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can also plant eggs and cheese, 'cause we all know that they come from a bush in real life too.

AS for the Omniplant, don't know where to find a seed, but there is one behind the geodesic dome. You "feed" it a fruit/vedg/etc, and that's what it grows.
Trickster
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2009 May 22, 17:37:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can also plant eggs and cheese, 'cause we all know that they come from a bush in real life too.
I've read that, but how does it work?
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2009 May 22, 18:47:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check the graveyard if you're hunting down new plants- there should be a Death Flower bush somewhere around there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: