More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 23:38:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Draging a custom fence creates crash
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Draging a custom fence creates crash  (Read 6092 times)
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Draging a custom fence creates crash
« on: 2009 May 02, 22:21:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was building a house for almost an hour and could (should) shoot myself for not saving. My game crashes to desktop after I tried to erase a custom fence with the fence tool. I realized that this keeps happening with all fences whenever I have a custom fence in, and usually trying to erase a line near or close to the edge of the lot. I removed all downloads and dragging a maxis fence near the edge didn't produce the same results. It didn't bother me before I tried to remember about it, but so annoyed at myself right now. Anyways I have mac version (asdfjk;l) and it's arr'd so if it's a factor I'm not sure. I asked the person I downloaded a fence from if they had a problem, but didn't, and think it's not a specific fence because I downloaded several fences from different creators and they all produce the result, much to my dismay. Sad

So tl;dr, any mac users getting a client crash when moving cc fences?
professorbutters
Humourless Egghead
Lipless Loser

Humourless Priss

View Profile
Re: Draging a custom fence creates crash
« Reply #1 on: 2009 May 02, 23:03:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I play on a Mac and I use some nice custom fences from Holy Simoly and I never have this problem.  Have you tried taking all your CC fences out, putting one back in, trying that one, and narrowing it down?  Or it may--probably is--a CC conflict.  Same deal--do a binary search.

nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 May 02, 23:22:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup it's every single custom fence. It's annoying as crap. I have the Holy Simoly ones too and they do it also. I want to say it started after seasons was installed. (which wasn't arr'd so it is a mystery)  I have gone for a while without any issue (ignoring it), I delete them, I put them next to each other, but if the game catches a bit of lag while I happen to be dragging a fence around all edge of the lot (it's not like they can walk off from there but it looks pretty) I know- can feel it, and then suddenly "The application has terminated" appears. Cry So it happens placing or erasing.

If it not crashing doing that, my camera will go off world and I am sent spinning until I go back to hood view and reload the lot Roll Eyes I try hard to stay away at least two blocks away from lot edges.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 May 02, 23:59:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is this possibly a max-files error? TS2 opens way more files than it should, and the default config on Mac does not like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
professorbutters
Humourless Egghead
Lipless Loser

Humourless Priss

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 May 03, 00:15:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hold it--you're getting a "the application has terminated" message?  Macs don't normally send those; usually you get a straight out crash or a freeze which means you have to crash it yourself.  So are you playing a Mac version of the game, or a PC version of the game on a Bootcamp Windows partition of a Mac?

JMP, I have a poopload of files and it doesn't seem to do this.  I find I run into trouble with Bodyshop, easily dealt with by yanking my buy mode and build mode CC folders before I fire up BodyShop. 

nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 May 03, 01:09:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I'm playing Mac OSX version 10.4.11 (intel core duo) using the max files cheat but I manually do it, because I'm too scared with doing it permanently. (it reverts back when I restart, which is almost never but it's very easy to check each time before I load the game) I wrote terminated but I am a pc and mac user, so I just meant the same thing Cheesy though maybe I should take a screenshot of the exact error msg next time. Is there a log I can find somewhere?

these two commands into terminal:
sudo sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=22000
sudo sysctl -w kern.maxfilesperproc=20000

I really can't tell what it's done to my system, I know the entire system has lagged menus in the past few months but I really want to relate it to applications becoming more heavy as with still using the old os, (and have not updated! because I don't want to replace my apps and risk not loading without a cd) I really need to upgrade to 2gb ram and maybe reinstall OSX. Honestly it runs very smooth as long as I don't have a lot of sims on the lot or a lot of background apps.

But I'm lost on the fence issue. :/ I also have that sunlight crash error a little too often, but I think that's because I use quite a few downloaded mini lots and face them the wrong way.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 May 03, 17:59:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My guess is that your errors stem from the profusion of nonstandard things you have in your game.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 May 03, 22:54:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hold it--you're getting a "the application has terminated" message?  Macs don't normally send those; usually you get a straight out crash or a freeze which means you have to crash it yourself.

This is not true.  I just got one the other night, and TS2 has never hung up my system even when I had more files than the CC limit.  If TS2 crashes on me, I always get that dialogue with a polite query as to whether I'd like to relaunch now?

Getting back to the OP, since you've raised the limit exactly how much CC vs. RAM are you working with?  Maybe you've simply crossed the threshold for what your hardware can handle?  It's probably best to remove your CC and test the tedious way.

Alternatively, you may be experiencing a bug with the mini-lots.  I've had a couple of random crashes with fences that run along the shrunken edge.  My crashes aren't reproducible like yours, but they did both involve running a perimeter fence along the shrunken edge of a mini-lot.  I don't remember now whether they were custom fences though.
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 May 04, 01:24:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CC is at 1.77GB - Ram is low (want to buy some more): 1GB 667 MHz. I'm still running 10.4

At the moment was working on the challenge fail house for this month with all cc removed and as I type my text is going very slow...
The game with cc in takes a few minutes to load (like 3 or 4) opening CAS, or any CAS menus (ie the mirror/clothing rack) takes a bit of time first time, after that they re-open fast.
Neighborhoods always load quickly unless I was on a lot for a long time building.

Maybe it is the mini lots, because they also crash if I drag something too close to the edge with move objects on. (And that dreaded camera spin!) I already mentioned the sun lot bug affects me too, but it happens way more with the mini lots, makes a lot more sense too that you say that seelindarun. The reason is, it wasn't until after seasons ep was installed I started playing mini lots. I have two hoods of mostly all mini lots. I'm going to test it on a lot that isn't a mini lot.
Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

INTP/J: Bork!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2009 May 04, 13:03:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think having more CC than RAMZ is a good idea.

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 May 07, 23:17:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sorry for not responding sooner.  I do agree that having more CC than RAM isn't good, but I don't think it's the root cause of the crashing.  1.8 GB CC vs. 1 GB RAM doesn't seem egregious, even if it's spread out over 10 000+ individual files.  The sun lot problem is probably related to your shortage of RAM, but objects at the edge of a mini-lot crashing the game -- that doesn't sound right.  I don't play as many mini-lots as you do, but I rarely have crashes with them, just the two random ones that I mentioned.  Then again, I don't usually play on the PPC mac with 10.4.11

Are the mini-lots mostly from one creator, or did you build them yourself?
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 May 08, 00:03:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

plasticbox recently found an intermittent crashing problem with the shrunken lots on MACs.  It only occurs with walls which touch one specific edge of the lot, based on the lot rotation (sun direction).  It also occurs on only some MACs.  And it only occurs with a specific size of lot.

Look at the section labeled "The OS X crash-on-load issue" in this thread:
http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?p=2128585#post2128585

Does this describe your situation?  If so, you should be able to avoid this problem by avoiding lots which meet these criteria.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 May 08, 03:42:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am trying to get over my CC addiction. (It is a hard battle for me, removed 50MB today but downloaded 2MB more x_x!) Most of the CC though is maxis recolors and I'm looking into transferring all of it over to PC to use the compressor and then back again probably on the weekend.

Are the mini-lots mostly from one creator, or did you build them yourself?
The mini lots are all downloaded from mts2 mostly, plasticbox Aelflaed MaryLou
but some of them I received from http://loco-plus.xrea.jp and I had to delete one lot that was from that site (crash on load).

Well I just did a test but it wasn't so bad this time. I couldn't produce the crash again, but I am not certain it is fixed.
Used maxis and custom fence again on the edge of the smallest maxis size lot (from ofb) and mini lots (1x1 and 2x1).
It started to lag with the fence tool on the mini lot (!) but no crash. On maxis lot it does not lag. If the mini lot was furnished/ with sims -my theory somehow it would have terminated then because it lags too long with the drag tool. It is the lack of ram at fault. I let the computer shut down the past day and performance was better also, so I will try to take better care of it until more ram can be purchased.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: