More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 22:39:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Program and Question: The Commentator
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Program and Question: The Commentator  (Read 6864 times)
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
Program and Question: The Commentator
« on: 2009 April 14, 23:16:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here is a little program I made in Fortran for my own use, but decided to share. It's The Commentator. You place it a folder with pictures named 1, 2, 3, etc., run it, and it will make a web slideshow with comments out of them. It is not at all confined to sims pictures, either. However, it is non-Awesome at the moment. Here are the problems you might run into:

1. Comments must be typed with quotes or apostrophes around them. This can cause problems with comments that contain both quotes and contractions.
2. And this is the big one, it is a .out file and can only be run in a UNIX environment or emulator. I have searched, but I cannot find a reliable way to compile this program into something windows executable. This is where my question comes in.

Does anyone know a way to compile Fortran into a .exe file? I'll settle with a way to compile C in Windows; rewriting the program isn't a huge problem. If someone shows me how, or I figure it out, I will post a windows version here.

Also, if you have any suggestions on features you want, ways to make it run better, or whatever, please tell me. I just hope at least one person can find some use in this.

* commentator.rar (7.21 KB - downloaded 306 times.)
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
Re: Program and Question: The Commentator
« Reply #1 on: 2009 April 16, 06:20:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I currently use MinGW to compile C++ in Windows, and since it's gcc it will probably compile C too.  You could escape the "s and 's that don't delimit the ends of the string, right?

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

CatOfEvilGenius
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2009 April 18, 08:34:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's also Micro$oft's Visual C++, if you're willing to port to C as you said.  You can get the Express edition for free from their website.

You might also try Cygwin, a free UNIX emulator for windows.  There are several GNU compilers for it, I believe Fortran is among them.  I use cygwin's C/C++ compilers, they make exe files.

Please spay or neuter your pets --- my Sims2 clothing meshes
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 April 18, 13:15:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What does it *DO*, and how does one compile this without the source, anyway?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 April 20, 01:41:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What does it *DO*, and how does one compile this without the source, anyway?

You start with a folder full of pictures named "1", "2", etc. in the order you want them. They can be of any extension. Then, you copy the program to the folder where the pictures are stored. I have uploaded the compiled version, but if you want the source, then I'll attack to this post. Once the program is started, you input the number of pictures, the extension of the files, the title of the pages/chapter, and then the program will ask for a comment for each picture. The caveat is that all comments need to be enclosed in either apostrophes or quotes, or the program will only use the first word. This can cause problems with comments that contain both quotes and contractions, but this is easily fixed in notepad. Like I said, this is non-awesome and mostly for my own amusement, but I decided to share it.

Source attached in f95 format.

* comsource.rar (0.8 KB - downloaded 303 times.)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 April 26, 10:34:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This code is crap, Kutto. I'm not certain what exactly it's supposed to offer that SIMPLY TYPING THE CAPTIONS INTO NOTEPAD doesn't! What exactly is the point?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: