More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 15:01:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  The Bowels of Trogdor
| |-+  The Small Intestines of Trogdor
| | |-+  Create New Object with dynamic GUID
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Create New Object with dynamic GUID  (Read 7964 times)
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
Create New Object with dynamic GUID
« on: 2005 November 16, 08:32:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want to do a conditional create of a job object - so the GUID will be read from an attribute on my controller.  I can only find how to create an object with a hard-coded GUID.   Only neighbours can be specified dynamically.    Is there any workaround to this (or some operand I have not discovered?)

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Create New Object with dynamic GUID
« Reply #1 on: 2005 November 16, 09:48:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

According to some old grimy notes I have, setting flag 0x80 in what I think is the 6th box, will cause the creation function to use a GUID inputted inside temp 0/1. This may or may not produce the desired effect. It should be noted that you don't have to create job objects, though: Those are spawned automatically and always lurk offworld and invisible, so unless by "job object", you mean something other than traditional "careers", you probably shouldn't do that.

That, and you'd have to input these GUID values manually from somewhere anyway....

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 November 16, 10:04:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I just accidentally wiped out my off-world job objects from my prison, and I have a need to recreate some of them Cheesy

I wanted to allow my users to choose which prison officer career to associate with each prison, so I was going to dynamically generate a menu of careers, which they can choose from, putting the career GUID from their choice into two attributes.   At that point, the controller was meant to check the career was already spawned as an object or else spawn it.

I can't say I applaud this idea of having all the jobs on every lot.  Especially as each of them is running their own processing every hour to see if any of the sims are employed by them and need to go to work.   There's a hell of a lot of stringerage in memory, and users are making more careers all the time.

Maybe the game will regenerate a killed job object?

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 November 16, 10:46:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The game normally should regenerate a global object like that at every lot reload. As far as I can tell, the impact of an object that cycles approximately once per hour is minimal.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 November 16, 11:58:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah that's good then, there might not be an issue after all.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: