More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 11:15:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Can't place modular stairs
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can't place modular stairs  (Read 16848 times)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Can't place modular stairs
« on: 2009 April 12, 11:13:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have all EPs and most SPs. This is my test folder and I have no cc except the magic wand and CEP - for when I'm testing cc. My modular stairs tell me they cannot find a bottom landing, they tell me this whether there is a foundation below or not. This is happening on (25 Toboggan Way?) the April House of Phail lot. I haven't tested any other lots. Any ideas why?

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

INTP/J: Bork!

View Profile WWW
Re: Can't place modular stairs
« Reply #1 on: 2009 April 12, 11:18:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're not trying to build them next to a wall, are you? That's been borken since AL or M&G, I think. It works with moveobjects on, though.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 April 12, 11:47:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah ha! Yes I am! If the wall is deleted can it be added back after the stairs are placed? Guess there's one way to find out! I thought I was going nuts when I couldn't figure it out. Also moveobjects on. Yes I'll try that too. Cheers Annan.

Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

INTP/J: Bork!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2009 April 12, 12:50:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, the wall can be re-placed, but I find moveobjects on easier -- especially if you've already done wallpaper and stuff.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2009 April 12, 19:08:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've found I can't place modular stairs at all without moveobjects on, even if they are nowhere near a wall. Farkin' annoying.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 April 12, 20:49:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd had the problem in my main hood with all the cc and thought I must have been having a conflict with some outdated cc stairs. I have removed a few bits of cc to to test but had no joy. I often have problems one way and another and have so little time to play the sims that when I do all my time seems to be spent problem solving.

Sometimes people say to me, did you play your game last night? No, I say, I spent the evening fixing the bloody thing.

I certainly would not have picked that this was an EAxis problem, not something so intrinsic to the game. I was baffled when it happened in a cc free hood.  Undecided

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2009 April 12, 21:56:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought it might be the Crocobura open underneath stairs causing problems, but no. Oh, btw, I can place the stairs down from foundations and stages ok, just not from one floor to another. Roll Eyes

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 April 13, 03:26:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been placing the stairs and then putting the wall. It probably has something to do with the ability to slide down the banisters. The game will also give that error when you have the .package file for the stairs but the script for them is not there, or is wrong.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2009 April 13, 06:56:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never seen my sims slide down modular stairs banisters, just the spiral stairs ones.

Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 April 13, 18:19:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never seen my sims slide down modular stairs banisters, just the spiral stairs ones.

I'm almost sure I spotted a sim sliding down a straight stair, once. I remember this because I also thought it happens only with spiral stairs. Probably not a modular one, though; this would make sense.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 April 13, 21:17:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They do it on the Mansions & Gardens ones. I'm not sure about the basegame straight stairs. I don't use them. I actually only have the M&G one in one house, the mayoral manse in Darlington Shores. Because two story taking up only 25% of a 3x2 can totally be considered a mansion in my game.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Treble
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 April 14, 06:39:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They do for the base game stairs, too.  One of the Pleasant girls slid down the banister of the stairs in their house.  Stairs hadn't been replaced by newer ones either.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 April 14, 07:06:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's semigloballed and only 6ses and 12s can do it, randomly. I have an undiscovered shiny making it somewhat less random, and may repair some borkedness in it as well.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 April 14, 08:14:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Who needs tight pants when EA provides such a feast built-in?

Also, Gwiiiiiilllllll!! The tutu, quick!

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 April 14, 09:55:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's semigloballed and only 6ses and 12s can do it, randomly. I have an undiscovered shiny making it somewhat less random, and may repair some borkedness in it as well.

I've only seen it the once, I hope the shiny makes them do it a bit more often.

*witch pages Gwill

BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2009 April 14, 23:18:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it faster than running down the stairs?  That would make it a useful part of Macrotastics.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 April 15, 00:35:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Particularly for spiral stairs where the sims cannot run.

Chain_Reaction
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 April 15, 01:45:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it possible to fix the stairs/wall issue witch reported or is that the borkedness you mention?
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 April 15, 21:58:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since when have they broken things that made sense in regards to things they added?

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 April 15, 22:35:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Barely ever, and it is true that you cannot slide down modular stairs. Only placed ones.

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 April 15, 22:42:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Barely ever, and it is true that you cannot slide down modular stairs. Only placed ones.
wasn't arguing that, just that their added coolness of sliding down the banisters on the other stairs may have something to do with the now brokenness of placing stairs that do not even have this feature. Kind of like breaking the piano or primp, or any of the other things that are broken in every EP or SP.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2009 April 16, 06:44:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Probably. I am finding I am using the spiral stairs more and more now though, and only using the modular ones on the foundation. It just pisses me off that stupid EA keeps breaking stuff! I've noticed it has become almost impossible to place windows when there is a roof on the floor below, such as on a fake bay window. I used to be able to place them easily! This game infuriates me! Angry

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 April 16, 07:18:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Spiral stairs have several advantages over modular stairs: They have better "flow control", in that they are much less likely to jam and cause a route failure when large groups of sims are using them. They also have a smaller tile footprint, although not necessarily a better one. However, they achieve this with fixed travel speeds, and are unidirectional only.me

Compared to elevators, they occupy the same footprint and cause MUCH fewer jams and collision, with comparable short-distance travel speeds, as elevators are always on the wrong floor. Elevators, however, are curiously omnidirectional, with people able to travel in opposite directions simultaneously.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 April 16, 13:49:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is dumb that you can't run on the spiral stairs... Too bad no one could fix that.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 April 18, 02:46:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've noticed it has become almost impossible to place windows when there is a roof on the floor below, such as on a fake bay window. I used to be able to place them easily! This game infuriates me! Angry

Oh good, it's not just me!  Is there any workaround for this?  It doesn't seem to matter if the roof below is shallow or steep.  The second storey walls refuse to take windows of any size.  I've resorted to building all my shells in another game installation, but it's damn annoying if I need to edit some part of the building later.  Is there a better way?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: