More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 13:31:01

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  TSR Privacy Violation
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR Privacy Violation  (Read 49782 times)
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
Re: TSR Privacy Violation
« Reply #75 on: 2009 April 04, 13:45:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I'm not very shocked about the whole TSR watermark issue; I think it's fair game: it's their stuff (except Shakeshaft's, of course Tongue), they want to track who downloads what (according to informations they already left on their site - IPs and email)? Fine for me.
On the other hand, it's perfectly fine that downloaders (and PMBD) want to get rid of that, and preserve their anonymity in file sharing. Again, fair game.
Putting a watermark in a package is lame, but alas, being TSR it's not surprising. isn't it?

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2009 April 04, 14:43:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A more sophisticated system would have put the user details in a log, and placed a transaction ID in the package. Then it is just a number, not so easy to recognize. While this method is simple, placing the watermark in the same spot consistently is easy to find and fix with a hex editor. It is not so easy to do a lot of locations unless you make a more sophisticated program that can bury it within some of the data items inside the package.

That would be truly devious, but would require a skillset greater then the average bear.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2009 April 04, 15:14:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A more sophisticated system would have put the user details in a log, and placed a transaction ID in the package.
That would actually be easier to detect and defuse than the current system!

Then it is just a number, not so easy to recognize. While this method is simple, placing the watermark in the same spot consistently is easy to find and fix with a hex editor.
That was the original system, but naturally, it was such a miserable failure that it was defused accidentally.

It is not so easy to do a lot of locations unless you make a more sophisticated program that can bury it within some of the data items inside the package.
They did that. It didn't help.

That would be truly devious, but would require a skillset greater then the average bear.
It would, but their kung-fu is weak.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
spambi
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2009 April 04, 22:28:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All TSR put into the packages was the user ID, IP address, and date that the package was downloaded. (And they have come out saying they did so here.) That's it, and it had no effect on the packages when placed in the game that I ever saw.

Did you forget that when a watermarked TSR file was changed using the wardrobe wrangler, it would cause the game to crash? Major fucking pain in the ass.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2009 April 04, 23:26:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All TSR put into the packages was the user ID, IP address, and date that the package was downloaded. (And they have come out saying they did so here.) That's it, and it had no effect on the packages when placed in the game that I ever saw.
This is lies and propaganda. They put a lot MORE in there. We've seen it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
spambi
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2009 April 04, 23:30:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please elaborate.
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

Esteemed Senator Emeritus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: 2009 April 04, 23:40:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you forget that when a watermarked TSR file was changed using the wardrobe wrangler, it would cause the game to crash? Major fucking pain in the ass.
Actually I do remember that, and it was a pain, but eh, it was probably partly a coding error on my end. The problem went away so I mostly forgot about it. Tongue

Please elaborate.
Yes, please. I didn't really examine any packages past the first watermark, but I can't imagine what ELSE they'd need to put in there.

Nifty Sims hacks and programs at: DJS Sims
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2009 April 05, 00:40:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Add me to the elaborateplz crew.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2009 April 05, 03:04:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't want to have somebody take off on me as supportive of their work, but I can guarantee you it would be significantly more difficult to find a watermark were I to want to put one in a package.

Still, the act of banning the people right after the packages were uploaded would trigger the "spidey senses" that something was in there. So the act is self-defeating, because if you look long and hard enough, you can unravel any mystery.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2009 April 05, 03:24:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Such a thing might be more difficult, but ultimately it is pitted against an obstacle of mentality: TSR has no one really to do this, so they'd have to bring in people to slap together something that no one really cares about doing, while their enemy is boredom: People who have nothing better to do than tear them apart, who DO have technical skills.

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: 2009 April 06, 17:05:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and then posted their email address and username in the private staff forum. Hardly a breech of privacy laws.

I have no idea what the law says about this, but my sense of morals is offended.  When people give an email address to join a site, they expect the admins to be able to see it.  They don't expect non-admin content creators to also see it.  If it had been shared only between the people who were supposed to see it, there would have been no need to post the details on the forum, the admins could have looked at the database for themselves.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Treble
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2009 April 06, 17:40:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and then posted their email address and username in the private staff forum. Hardly a breech of privacy laws.

Plus, they didn't just post email addresses and usernames--they posted some people's real names, even admitted by Steve himself over at TSR.  There was no need for that and it is considered a privacy violation.  I could actually understand sharing usernames of known filesharers (not condone, mind you).  After all, people freely share the usernames of known forum trolls.  But to post real names is going too far.
Minena
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2009 April 30, 00:50:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone else gotten this while simply browsing at TSR?
http://minena.prismbaby.com/images/ScreenShot166.png

I didn't click on anything but "next" for the next page and BAM, there it was.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2009 April 30, 00:57:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While it's true that visiting TSR can harm your computer, this looks like something that is just caused by crappy adware spam links from the advertisers they link to.

Minena
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2009 April 30, 01:13:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks...I wondered if it was from all the craptastic ads they have.

I only go to browse for pictures of what I will eventually get at the booty.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: