More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 13:45:01

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Switching Computers for the Sims 2
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Switching Computers for the Sims 2  (Read 3776 times)
fairy
Blathering Buffoon

STUPID 18

View Profile
Switching Computers for the Sims 2
« on: 2009 April 16, 04:53:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The computer which I have currently has all EPs and SPs on it, but it's been slow because I only have half a gig of RAM.
So, my brother has suggested that I move all of my Sims 2 folders onto his computer, (and I will play it on there) because it has 2 gigabytes of RAM, and our computers have shared connections. (There is a folder on this computer where I can put things which will appear on my brother's).
And also, his computer has two screens, how would The Sims 2 fare there?

So, the main question is, can I move The Sims 2 folders into the shared folder and put them on his computer?
Thank you!  Smiley

My Type is: INTJ
Introverted   Intuitive   Thinking   Judging
     67%               50%         62%      44%
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: Switching Computers for the Sims 2
« Reply #1 on: 2009 April 16, 05:08:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just do not "merge" the folders, as expressed in another thread.  I found, in moving my game, that all I needed was a copy of my downloads folder, a copy of my hood that I wanted (custom), and a copy of the lot catalog (for any saved lots/sims in the bin that you like).
If you have hoods that you play, say for instance, Pleasantview, that you want intact during the move, note that it will replace and over-ride the existing Pleasantview on your brother's set-up.  If it is a custom hood, or hoods, then just drop the folder into the existing neighborhood folder, no replacing neccesary.  Do not just merge the files, replace one with the other.  If there is a way to maintain separateness of game-generated hoods, I am not aware of it.  Any camera tweaks, you will have to redownload and replace.  Same goes for Numenor's recolor thingiemabob, if your brother does not aleady have it.  If you have music files, or other craptastic modifications...someone else will have to answer those questions.  But to get your CC, your hood, and any lots/sims you can not live without...this is the way to do it.
« Last Edit: 2009 April 16, 05:14:40 by snowbawl » Logged
fairy
Blathering Buffoon

STUPID 18

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 April 16, 05:22:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One thing which I forgot to put it, I have SecuROM on this computer because I haven't used cracks yet. Could I use cracks on my brother's computer so he doesn't get SecuROM, and still put in my backups? (Sorry if this sounds really dumb, I'm just making sure I cover everything so I don't break his computer or anything).
So basically, I'm going to hire the original Sims 2 (I don't own it, I borrowed it from a video game shop when I installed it, so I just put the EPs on my computer) then I can just put all the cracks on, (begone, SecuROM)  and then just replace the Neighbourhood files and add a downloads folder.

I forgot to mention, he doesn't have the Sims 2 on it.  Embarrassed (I'm really sorry I forgot to add that, I swore that I put everything down on the first post so to not be a bother). But I think I've got a good idea now, just install everything then change bits which I want. Thank you, Snowbawl, for your help.  Smiley

Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 April 16, 05:29:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Putting in a no-cd crack will not affect your backups.

snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 April 16, 05:38:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, so your bro does not have TS2 installed?  Personally, I have installed everything without running between installs.  I patched between every EP/SP installation.  I dropped the appropriate copied folders (from game on different compie) into the installed game.  I downloaded a no-cd crack for my current EP and followed jolrei's instructions (in the securom thread and also in another thread that is current) to point the shortcut to the no-cd exe..  Voila, no securom.  It does not matter if your copied files come from a securom-infested machine, as long as the install and subsequent running from a no-cd crack comes on a non-securom infested machine.  OK, that sounded odd, but you get my drift.
fairy
Blathering Buffoon

STUPID 18

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 April 16, 05:48:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I got it now. Easy, thanks for all the help!  Smiley

Pages: [1] Print