More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 09:38:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Yes, I borked it. How can I recover my lot sync timer info?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Yes, I borked it. How can I recover my lot sync timer info?  (Read 6880 times)
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Yes, I borked it. How can I recover my lot sync timer info?
« on: 2009 April 07, 13:34:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Longer version: I got several EPs and SPs for Christmas.  I've been playing new hoods with no problems. 

A couple days ago, I started playing an old legacy hood, where I was using lot sync timers to keep the houses at roughly the same "day."

I played one house for several hours, saved several times, and quit.  Next day, the game started and let me choose a neighborhood.  When I chose the same house, the lot crashed on load.  Figured it was the family, so I evicted and tried moving them into another house.  Crashed while loading the lot without moving the family into the house.  Tried moving them back into their original house, crashed while loading the lot.  Tried another house; that house also crashed on load.  Tried making a new family; crashed while loading the "family view."  Tried a house in another 'hood, crashed on load.

Finally fixed it by renaming the My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2 folder, letting the game make a new folder, testing every theory of why the crash happened (with no luck), then moving the Neighborhoods and various custom content to the new folder. 

Everything was fine, except I lost the lot sync timer info.  Is there a way to find out what day the families were on, so I can hand-set their timers again?
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
Re: Yes, I borked it. How can I recover my lot sync timer info?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 April 07, 13:41:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like something that happened in one of my hoods.  All I did was make sure that all houses were saved on the same day in the same season (i.e. Winter day 1), and then reprogrammed the lot sync timers to "Day 10".  I figured, as long as they all read the same day, it doesn't much matter what day number it is.  If you remember roughly what day your sims are on, you could just program the timers for that day.  You'd have to do that for each house.

Perhaps someone has a better way.

Tribulatio proxima est
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 April 07, 13:55:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's the fundamental problem.... I haven't played this hood since last fall, so I don't remember what day any of them were on, and they were spread across a 10 day (or so) span.  There's only about 10 houses, so resetting the timers isn't an onerous job.  I just need to recover the info saying the Todd family was on day X, the Mills family was on day Y, etc.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 April 07, 15:23:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suggest you reload the backup from before you ripped out ALL of your downloads and MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE THAT ONE IN. For obvious reasons, removing the Lot Sync Timer from your downloads results in the permanent loss of all data records, so DON'T DO IT. You can remove all the other worthless cosmetic crap, but never remove a functional element, or you could make the crashing worse or lose data.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 April 07, 15:39:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, my testing was in a new hood which had never been Sync Timer'ed.  Never ran the existing hood without the Downloads folder as far as I know.

Well, I get to guess what the old settings were as best I can...
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 April 07, 15:50:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you even loaded the game with that hood in and the downloads folder out, it will be corrupted by doing so. Never remove downloads that use inventory tokens to track things unless you REALLY want to lose all that data.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 April 07, 16:02:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you even loaded the game with that hood in and the downloads folder out, it will be corrupted by doing so. Never remove downloads that use inventory tokens to track things unless you REALLY want to lose all that data.

Well, that certainly explains a few things about how my lot sync got borked a month or so ago.

Tribulatio proxima est
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 April 08, 01:40:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah!  Is moving the N00x folder out enough, or should I make a backup copy of the NeighborhoodManager.package as well?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 April 08, 02:20:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah!  Is moving the N00x folder out enough, or should I make a backup copy of the NeighborhoodManager.package as well?
NeighborhoodManager is useless, so don't worry about it. I'm not sure it actually DOES anything other than occasionally get corrupt and bork the game.

FourCats
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 April 09, 00:12:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

NeighborhoodManager is useless, so don't worry about it. I'm not sure it actually DOES anything other than occasionally get corrupt and bork the game.

Am I allowed to delete it or will that cause unrecoverable problems?

May all your fears & worries come true.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 April 09, 01:45:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm thinking I'll zip it up, so next time my game starts crashing on every lot, I can just replace it with a "good" copy.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 April 09, 07:57:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't worry about zipping it; a fresh new copy will be recreated automatically every time you delete it.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 April 09, 13:03:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Coolness!  Another file I can tell people to delete when they say "My game crashes!"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: