More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 12:39:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  TSR Privacy Violation
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR Privacy Violation  (Read 49452 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: TSR Privacy Violation
« Reply #25 on: 2009 March 31, 04:02:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The FOJ actually went to TSR for anything? Oh, horrors-my innocence has been lost!
Well, where else would you find the community's best smutty horrors, like the Dink uniform?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009 March 31, 04:22:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

7. He has ATTEMPTED to hack PMBD. Also, TSR stooges like Atwa have helped themselves to the booty, including TSR items, while yelling about the booty. (See also Lyric Lee's hypocrisy of raiding the booty while yelling about the booty.)

Let me preface my statements with an amen of condemnation for the recent acts cited.

However, what you have cited here is proof of nothing. If someone posted a random garbage file and called it a stolen file, the only way for the person whose file was purported to be stolen to know it if it true would be for them to download it themselves. The existance of their IP address in the logs shown looking at their own stuff does not mean hey came there to 'raid the booty'.

If you want to do damage, don't throw pebbles; find some rocks. Or ask Pescado to lend you a flamethrower.

Noukie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009 March 31, 04:32:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That would be true, had they not raided the booty for other sites they had nothing to do with, and got logged while doing it.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009 March 31, 06:09:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oddly, I cannot logon to TSR, although the last time I tried some months ago it worked fine. Oh well, no loss.

Maybe the site is just overloaded with people trying to get in and change passwords.  Cheesy

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
antechinus
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009 March 31, 06:45:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You probably should change your other passwords as well- they can probably get access to your old passwords in the backups. I don't want to sound too paranoid, but if they are that nasty, they may be making a record of the logins and IP of anyone who has recently changed their password. After all, only those guilty of treachery would need to.

An antechinus is a small carnivorous marsupial- with interesting reproductive behaviour.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 March 31, 06:59:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, in their eyes it's treachery. I'm more of the opinion that my privacy may be invaded and I find that offensive. My account is so old I've had it since sims 1 days - I know they will probably have backups but I wanted to let them know I knew what they'd done. If that makes sense.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
antechinus
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 March 31, 07:08:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It does make sense. I just wanted to alert people to the fact that just changing the password won't necessarily protect them from being hacked on other sites, if you leave the old password on the other sites.

An antechinus is a small carnivorous marsupial- with interesting reproductive behaviour.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009 March 31, 07:11:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That would be true, had they not raided the booty for other sites they had nothing to do with, and got logged while doing it.

Bingo.

And wes_h, the logs are actually available (or were) if you know where to look on PMBD.

In other words, U R WRONG.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 2009 March 31, 07:15:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* Mirelly changes her TSR password to fuckoffubastrds and considers downloading as much free stuff as possible to waste their bandwidth ... well as soon as I can be arsed, I will.

Or you could upload a whole bunch of recolours........

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: 2009 March 31, 10:20:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just because ... I was looking for medieval content and Google responded to my desire for a medieval stove with, among others, this bit o' TSR 'goodness'. Yeah! Medieval == bad joinery ... and carpentry don't get much worse than for the boards' edges to change from one elevation to another. It's also subscriber only damnit ... must ... resist ... urge ... to susbscribe. Roll Eyes

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009 March 31, 10:23:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lovely.
Also, the modern-looking wooden sink with its wooden faucet is... er... well...

Another TS3 preview, right?

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Amairani
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 March 31, 12:22:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oh well, just like the thing.  I can't change my passowrd because I dont have a zip code.  I tried but it just keeps asking for my address details.  Bloody ridiculous, good job I used a fake address eh?  ha ha ha

Had a look at their privacy policy and it would seem they take this type of thing very serious, lmao

I changed my password over there without problems, you don't have to confirm your address. Under Password section of Edit My Account menu you type your new password and then verify it, click on Change button, that's it.
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 March 31, 15:32:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are too wrapped up in this to see that your statement is petty, whiney and proves nothing... the logs show she looked, and prove nothing about use. If you want to win arguments and converts, use provable assertions. If you just want to be perceived as a whiney bitch that dislikes some ho, well, carry on.
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: 2009 March 31, 17:00:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oh well, just like the thing.  I can't change my passowrd because I dont have a zip code.  I tried but it just keeps asking for my address details.  Bloody ridiculous, good job I used a fake address eh?  ha ha ha

Had a look at their privacy policy and it would seem they take this type of thing very serious, lmao

I changed my password over there without problems, you don't have to confirm your address. Under Password section of Edit My Account menu you type your new password and then verify it, click on Change button, that's it.

Nice bit of the bleeding obvious ... I  read janeyw's complaint as meaning she was unable to recover her password (presumably forgotten but still needed to change the original) due to not having access to the email address she used when she originally registered and was consequently bogged down in some labyrinthine mire of her own making. All of which conjecture leads me to wonder why janeyw felt an overwhelming urge to change a password that is almost certainly is of less use than a tracksuit to a Russian crewman on the ISS.

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009 March 31, 18:51:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just love that, in all of this, the party line from TSR is ,"Oh yeah, we were hacked a few months ago. Must have been them."

I'm sorry, did TSR just ask us, in the face of an overwhelmingly damning mountain of evidence, to accept the "My little brother must have logged onto my account" defense? To accept that some lone hacker out there in the wilderness somewhere just happened to use Thomas' account (while mimicking Thomas' IP address) to do a hostile takeover of the account of someone who just happened to have made a complaint against the site this lone hacker had allegedly ransacked? Oh, for fuck's sake.

Not only does that story strain credibility past its limits, it also utterly defies logic. Given the lack of mention of other accounts being cracked, it is safe to assume that Buggy's account was specifically targeted. On the same day s/he lodged a complaint against another site. The owner of which's account info just happened to be used by this lone hacker. Who conveniently obfuscated his own IP address to match that of the allegedly hacked owner's. And who randomly selected "switch this target's policies to say 'paysite friendly'" as a change to make on the aforementioned very day s/he lodged a complaint against a paysite.

Okay, no, that doesn't seem very likely. So maybe the story is that this person didn't "just happen" to go after Buggy; maybe this one-armed man hacker knew about the complaint and targeted Buggy because he loves TSR so very much and wanted to help them? Y'know, help that site he'd previously hacked and stolen the account infos from? Because he loves them so very much? And masked his IP address so he could pretend he was Thomas while he was doing it?

Not buying that one, hm? How about: the same lone hacker who happened to have Thomas' info and wouldn't ordinarily have any idea that TSR just had a complaint against it just happened to find out about Buggy's complaint and chose to mess with Buggy's account so that it would look like Buggy had no leg to stand on in his/her complaint in order to set Thomas up to look like he had violated Buggy's account despite the fact that the methods he chose to do so would normally never actually point to Thomas and thereby stand little to no chance of actually coming back to haunt TSR, only this time it happened to work?

Yes, that must be what happened.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009 March 31, 18:54:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My brain hurts.
SiuPang
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009 March 31, 19:16:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's one thing I knew about TSR: they were bad;
and there's one thing I didn't know about TSR: they had become that bad!

Oh gosh! It's such a shame to the Sims community when the so-claimed largest and oldest Sims fan site has grown that nasty and hideous Angry!!!
Let's mourn for the days when there are no such sites! Undecided
Noukie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009 March 31, 20:21:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are too wrapped up in this to see that your statement is petty, whiney and proves nothing... the logs show she looked, and prove nothing about use. If you want to win arguments and converts, use provable assertions. If you just want to be perceived as a whiney bitch that dislikes some ho, well, carry on.

So if they are 'looking at' content, we should assume the same for everyone else that goes to the Booty to 'look at content' they had nothing to do with.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009 March 31, 21:07:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the logs show she looked, and prove nothing about use.

Code:
69.242.46.150 - - [05/Oct/2006:02:34:53 +0800] "GET /booty/sml/SML_Set2_AphelionTV.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 8386 "http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/sml/" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; {526A1FA0-F6B7-6529-D79A-81A3DF9B9B97}; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 3.1)"

Roughly translated, she had a succesful response from the server; HTTP 1.1 protocol, status code 200 means "OK". GET method means the entity SML_Set2_AphelionTV.jpg was sent in response to the client. In short, the SML_Set2_AphelionTV.jpg picture appeared on her Exploder 6.0. It was 8386 bytes long.

Code:
69.242.46.150 - - [05/Oct/2006:10:45:03 +0800] "GET /booty/wallsims/ws_pleasure.rar HTTP/1.1" 200 97382 "http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/wallsims/" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; {526A1FA0-F6B7-6529-D79A-81A3DF9B9B97}; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 3.1)"

Another OK in response, this time 97382 bytes were transferred. Oh, look, what kind of PICTURE is a .rar file?
But wait, she didn't download: the ws_pleasure.rar file is bigger than 97382 bytes, right?

Right. In fact...
Code:
69.242.46.150 - - [05/Oct/2006:10:49:19 +0800] "GET /booty/wallsims/ws_pleasure.rar HTTP/1.1" 206 2555733 "http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/wallsims/" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; {526A1FA0-F6B7-6529-D79A-81A3DF9B9B97}; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 3.1)"

Status code 206: partial content. Usually used by clients to resume a download. Typical log line when a downloaded file is big, and the protocol has to deal splitting the stream of data served. Another 2,555,733 bytes. Wanna do the math?

Is the RFC 2616 a source reliable enough, for you?

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009 March 31, 21:16:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just love that, in all of this, the party line from TSR is ,"Oh yeah, we were hacked a few months ago. Must have been them."

If their member database had been compromised in any way then surely the members should have been informed about the breach at the time and advised to change their password(s). Smells like a steaming pile of kermit flailing bullshit to me.

wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009 March 31, 22:31:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A .rar file, yeah, we can all tell what is in a .rar file just by looking at the title. No one ever posts anything unless it is exactly what they say it is, you can trust the title implicitly, therefore if anyone looked at the file, well they must have been rummaging through the booty. No, there is no other explanantion except that she is just like everybody else, they all want the booty. You are so smart, yeah, you have it ALL figured out.

If you leave the doors and windows open, you can't complain when anyone looks through them. While you have "proven" she looked through some files, you haven't really proven anything else, you have just characterized it that way because you don't like her or what she said.

Barking at the moon will only make you look looney yourself.
HoodieBandit
Asinine Airhead

WARNING: Road flooded during floods.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009 March 31, 23:00:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone seen the updated sticky from Maxoid_Hydra on the BBS?

Hi Simmers,

We're still seeing a few off topic posts concerning TSR and a thread on MTS2. Threads about this issue will be deleted and temp bans will be given out if they continue to be posted.

The issue is off topic because it's not about The Sims 2 game - it's about the issue between the TSR and MTS2 communities.

If you would like to discuss the issue, please discuss them in either the TSR or MTS2 forums.

Thanks.

This is just getting ridiculous....It's purely sad now.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009 March 31, 23:37:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A .rar file, yeah, we can all tell what is in a .rar file just by looking at the title. No one ever posts anything unless it is exactly what they say it is, you can trust the title implicitly, therefore if anyone looked at the file, well they must have been rummaging through the booty. No, there is no other explanantion except that she is just like everybody else, they all want the booty. You are so smart, yeah, you have it ALL figured out.
Heh. That's an interesting new defense I'm waiting to see pulled the next time someone claims not to be pirating something to their ISP: "I wasn't pirating it, I was just looking to see what was really inside!"

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009 March 31, 23:41:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, what you exactly stated earlier was:

Quote from: wes_h
The existance of their IP address in the logs shown looking at their own stuff does not mean hey came there to 'raid the booty'.

and guess what? It's technically correct. I would, too, in their shoes, do the same thing: check my stuff.

That's why I quoted, as an example, stuff by other sites.

While you have "proven" she looked through some files, you haven't really proven anything else

I can't prove she used those files to help to cure cancer, either. Or to sink a ship. Hey! I can't even prove she was at the computer; 't was her retarded sister.

Dude, get real. If I come home and find a turd on my carpet, I don't worry about how to find conclusive evidence and report my cat to the Supreme Court.
I characterized it that way because it's the main, obvious, and logical suspect any thinking being would have. Ever heard of Occam's Razor?

------
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009 April 01, 03:13:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wes_h = Nohead = Manga_moon

The "but...but..." argument is nearly identical, and one of those connections has already been proven.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: