More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 05:14:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Another Question of Mind-Stunning Dumbness
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Another Question of Mind-Stunning Dumbness  (Read 3535 times)
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
Another Question of Mind-Stunning Dumbness
« on: 2009 March 11, 22:55:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or is it?

Ever since TS2 finally escaped the Maxian halls of code fuckery I have wondered why the sim creation tool was supplied in two inequitable flavours: the fully aspirated stand-alone Body Shop and the appallingly inadequate in-game CAS studio. Tweaking a sim's features in CAS is impossible due the fuckwits' built-in  urge to gurn at the camera at every instant. Hitherto, I have tried to excuse this lamentable bit 'o stupidity by hypothesising that the demands of animation forced the programmers to remove the most useful (and only anatomically apt) physiognomical sliders from the sim designer interface. But I have outgrown such generosity.

Does anyone awesome share my view that shipping the game with Body Shop and CAS was pointlessly stupid and that it was done without any discernibly logical reason or benefit to the end user?

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
Re: Another Question of Mind-Stunning Dumbness
« Reply #1 on: 2009 March 11, 23:50:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally, I could forgive them for including both, if only they hadn't committed the unconscionable atrocity of not making Sims packagable from within CAS.  :p

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Shiny
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 March 12, 01:09:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not really. Bodyshop takes so long to load that I use it only when I must. If CAS had the functionality of Bodyshop, I assume it would have a terrible effect on the game load time. CAS is good enough for some purposes. It is a weird system, though.
rosess
Dimwitted Dunce

I caught you a deelishus bass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 March 12, 01:41:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not really. Bodyshop takes so long to load that I use it only when I must. If CAS had the functionality of Bodyshop, I assume it would have a terrible effect on the game load time. CAS is good enough for some purposes. It is a weird system, though.
This is the only good thing about the split, in my opinion.  I load Bodyshop with a 4GB cc folder full of everything that ever caught my fancy, but the game itself with only the cc needed for the resulting packaged sims.  It means scanning for duplicates rather often, but that's a decent trade-off for keeping the Downloads folder sm... well, not as big as it could be.
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 March 12, 05:07:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bodyshop was a promotional item, like the Creature Creator was with Spore. It was release some months before the game itself was released. Some compatibility changes were made between the downloadable version and the game release, and minor compatibility updates have been made to BodyShop every release, or at least it was recompiled each time.

But nothing in the functionality seems to have changed between the free release and now. The same problems are evident, animations only use the first frame, compression gets misconfigured and so on. At least there are fixes for a few of the problems. BodyShop appears to be something that stays around because it was part of the first game release, and no one wants to hear complaints that it was "taken away". But the lack of investment in development in almost five years should be sufficient statement to reveal the prospects of them ever improving it.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2009 March 12, 07:12:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BodyShop appears to be something that stays around because it was part of the first game release, and no one wants to hear complaints that it was "taken away". But the lack of investment in development in almost five years should be sufficient statement to reveal the prospects of them ever improving it.

Well, they'd have had a regular riot on their hands if they *had* taken it away, since they haven't provided any other tools for creating clothing, genetics or accessories.  I'm sure if they had just stopped supporting it, somebody would have come up with a viable alternative (not sure whether it's possible to actually make new BodyShop content from scratch using SimPE alone?), but it would have caused a tremendous uproar in the meantime.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 March 12, 07:21:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's possible to create and assemble skins from scratch, without using Bodyshop, but Bodyshop is the only thing that lets you preview the skin as you are making it, without reloading the program. Trying to make an all-original skin WITHOUT bodyshop would require you to constantly restart the game after every modification, which would be a royal pain in the ass.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: