More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 03:24:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  But I don't HAVE Double Deluxe! WTF?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: But I don't HAVE Double Deluxe! WTF?  (Read 14135 times)
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
But I don't HAVE Double Deluxe! WTF?
« on: 2009 March 09, 20:02:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why does my game think I have Double Deluxe installed? I have every EP and SP installed, however. This is what pops up when I click on the Downtown button.

I play this game nearly every day and I have only just noticed this now...

Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: But I don't HAVE Double Deluxe! WTF?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 March 09, 20:20:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's the same on my game- has been since M&G. I don't have DD either. Strange!
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2009 March 09, 20:27:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is funny I have only just noticed it now Cheesy So it is M&G that put that there?

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 March 09, 20:38:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And why would it be necessary anyway?  Isn't DD only a way of saying that one got the various EPs in a party pack, rather than individually?  Or did DD actually have extra features?

Anyway, I have all EPs up to AL, and I do not get the DD sign, so I suspect it is a M&G "feature".

Tribulatio proxima est
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 March 09, 21:55:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have it too, and yes M&G put it there. It worried me for a while because the only thing I knew DD came with was extra bork, but it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 March 09, 22:48:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have M&G, and don't have it. Maybe it is an empty template problem, as I don't use those.

I have all EP's, GL, K&B, and M&G

Edit: Or a change to the core game files, because I haven't created a new neighborhood since.
« Last Edit: 2009 March 09, 22:59:02 by parrot » Logged

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 March 09, 23:30:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Edit: Or a change to the core game files, because I haven't created a new neighborhood since.

That's a possibility; maybe when you delete the NeighborhoodManager.package the new generated one for Downtown gets that skin. It would make sense, since DDL includes NL, right?

EDIT: Just tested, I get the DDL Downtown screen too.
« Last Edit: 2009 March 09, 23:39:35 by Marhis » Logged

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 March 10, 00:08:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Double Deluxe logo is part of the UK English UI file in M&G TSData\ Locale. So it would possibly only affect users playing with UK English setting. It seems to be there to override the Nightlife Logo.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 March 10, 00:40:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm.. that's weird, I set the US English.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 March 10, 01:09:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Double Deluxe logo is part of the UK English UI file in M&G TSData\ Locale. So it would possibly only affect users playing with UK English setting. It seems to be there to override the Nightlife Logo.

What I don't understand is the need for separate files for UK and US English, when there are only a few minor word differences. The sentence structure is the same, they both use the Roman Alphabet, and 99.9% of the words are identical. So why is it so hard to reconcile the differences? If people are capable of solving secret codes like the Zimmerman Note, then any old person could tell from context what a simple word like vacation means or what crisps are. It certainly does not take a genius to notice what these differences are. And if not, there are tons of online foreign dictionaries.

Actually, I am not sure why the language had formed such random and useless differences in the first place.

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 March 10, 01:18:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I don't understand is the need for separate files for UK and US English, when there are only a few minor word differences.
I don't either. It's a HUGE waste of space, and what's more, there aren't actually "minor word differences", there are "bugs relating to unnecessary duplication of stringsets". That's right, for all the bother they took to actually HAVE seperate EN_UK strings, they did not actually bother to actually USE British spelling.

The sentence structure is the same, they both use the Roman Alphabet, and 99.9% of the words are identical. So why is it so hard to reconcile the differences? If people are capable of solving secret codes like the Zimmerman Note, then any old person could tell from context what a simple word like vacation means or what crisps are. It certainly does not take a genius to notice what these differences are. And if not, there are tons of online foreign dictionaries.
None of these differences are actually PRESENT. When doing the UKian strings, they just copied, often from an earlier build, the USian strings, so the UKian strings are generally exactly the same, barring bugs that result in glitches like run-on spell descriptions and "Throw Party" that appears twice.

Actually, I am not sure why the language had formed such random and useless differences in the first place.
It's the same way evolution in general works: Groups isolated from each other develop their own peculiar local expressions, and they eventually spin off into seperate dialects.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 March 10, 01:29:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For the UI overrides in the locale folder of the European version, there aren't actually any US English files. There are just the European files- Czech, Danish, Dutch etc., so the locale files at least are different from the version shipped to North America.
ritaxis
Blathering Buffoon

not nice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 March 10, 01:40:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I am not sure why the language had formed such random and useless differences in the first place

The wonder is that we can understand each other at all, any of us, by this point.  If you listen to the extreme variety of British isles dialects, and then think about how North America has derived its English from pockets from here and there -- it really seems as if there's been enough years in the mean time to set us up with some really impenetrable dialects happening.  Mass communication notwithstanding.  

A fair number of the differences between NA and UK standard usage are things that NAians say that are archaic and obsolete in the UK.  It's more remarkable when you look at Southern US speech, and less remarkable when you look at Canadians.  And then there's immigrant influence on pronunciation.  And then flip-of-the-coin decisions on spelling.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 March 10, 05:03:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Spelling was also a lot less standardized back in Ye Olde Days, and during the "We Don't Like You Guys Anymore" period, a lot of things were done differently JUST BECAUSE. Like the entire road-side-driving thing.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2009 March 10, 07:47:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have M&G, and don't have it. Maybe it is an empty template problem, as I don't use those.

I have all EP's, GL, K&B, and M&G

You don't have Celebrations though. I thought DD was Base, NL and Celebrations all in one handy bork-size pack. That's probably why you don't get the screen.

Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2009 March 10, 10:11:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Funny that I actually HAVE Double Deluxe, but I don't get DD logo on Downtown screen. It still displays NL logo.
I also have all EPs and SPs, but I don't have Store Edition installed.

Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 March 11, 18:05:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what's been posted so far, it looks like you get it if you have NL, Celebrations and M&G, but not the DD package. The logo is present in the M&G files, so it looks like it replaces the NL logo under certain circumstances. Maybe it's a botched attempt to detect DD, but it doesn't actually work unless you don't have DD?
mistyk
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 March 11, 18:09:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

that's strange, I have all EP's and all SP's including M&G and I still get the NL logo. Maybe its some random glitch

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 March 11, 18:12:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

that's strange, I have all EP's and all SP's including M&G and I still get the NL logo. Maybe its some random glitch

I suggest that this is an advertisement by EA to influence people to buy DD.  This is supported by the fact that it is totally illogical to advertise DD to people who already have Base, NL, and Celebrations.

Tribulatio proxima est
CandyToast
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP/INTJ Half C-3P0, Half evil genius

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 March 11, 22:30:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it may have to do with Arred international copies of the game. I was running all EPs to BV,FFS,GLS and then I lost my BV disc and Arred it to replace it. While doing that I completed my collection. My BV splash screen had changed from the globe showing East Asia to it showing North America and after M&G(and everything missing from EP/SP list) I had the DD screen. So my Nightlife was purchased but my Celebrations was not. It does have something to do with the UK english settings or international versions changing screens.

"The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions"
Fold Spindle Mutilate!
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2009 March 12, 11:56:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

None of my copies of the game are 'ARRed'.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 March 12, 12:22:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

DEATH to EMMA!

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2009 March 12, 13:55:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, yeah. I was waiting for that.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 March 12, 14:14:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have content from the DD package? The tuxes and dresses and whatnot? Maybe?

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2009 March 12, 14:20:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dunno, do you mean the stuff that came with Celebrations? Cos I have that.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: