More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 11:24:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Occupied Lots in the Lot Bin
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Occupied Lots in the Lot Bin  (Read 5412 times)
timelycorruption
Corpulent Cretin

INTP, Explorer/Killer

View Profile
Occupied Lots in the Lot Bin
« on: 2009 March 08, 21:04:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whoopsie. I wanted to get two lots, and two sims living on the lots, out of the way, so I put them in the lot bin. Apparently... this is bad? What do I do know? Should I put them back? Should I leave it alone? Should I run? I haven't experienced any actual problems yet, but I really like what I've done with this Pleasantview, and I would hate to have it blow up Sad

edit: The two sims had a kid together, by the way, but they weren't linked any other way. The kid was adopted, but she wasn't related to her adoptive mother for some reason.
« Last Edit: 2009 March 08, 21:34:46 by timelycorruption » Logged

It's not SUPPOSED to be happening, but it apparently is anyway!
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: Occupied Lots in the Lot Bin
« Reply #1 on: 2009 March 08, 21:45:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

timelycorruption
Corpulent Cretin

INTP, Explorer/Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 March 08, 22:13:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

WHAT?! Noooo!  Shocked I've done that before, it didn't explode--isn't there something I can do? It was only two lots!

Edit: Erk. So it really is that bad, then? Is there really nothing I can do? WOW. What is wrong with Maxis? How can anyone be so inept, and at their own game, no less?  
I think I'll let the doom play out until I notice it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 2009 March 08, 22:52:10 by timelycorruption » Logged

timelycorruption
Corpulent Cretin

INTP, Explorer/Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 March 08, 23:22:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy

Er, not at your loss but Emma's response.  Priceless.

Doesn't it just kill family/friend links?  I munged up "The Simpsons" house that way.  But it didn't kill the hood.

What I did have to do was quite painful though.  Lots of hours spent in SimPE removing the relationships they made.  And more after that removing garbage gossip..

My new favorite hack is ffsdebugger.

Well, these sims didn't know anyone but each other and Cassandra Goth. Could I fix it in SimPE and not have big fiery doom?

Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 March 09, 00:57:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, it doesn't mean your neighborhood will explode tomorrow, but definitely had a major damage, and not repairable, I'm afraid :/.
I did the same (and worse) in my TS2 early years, and heh, the hood went on for a while anyway, but after a few weeks it started to act weird, with odd relationships and borked memories here and there. In the end half of my sims suddenly disappeared in the void. I still miss my first neighborhood Sad

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
timelycorruption
Corpulent Cretin

INTP, Explorer/Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 March 09, 20:52:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, it doesn't mean your neighborhood will explode tomorrow, but definitely had a major damage, and not repairable, I'm afraid :/.
I did the same (and worse) in my TS2 early years, and heh, the hood went on for a while anyway, but after a few weeks it started to act weird, with odd relationships and borked memories here and there. In the end half of my sims suddenly disappeared in the void. I still miss my first neighborhood Sad

Luckily I really only need it for a week or so, and only for two families. Maybe I can squeeze it out. Hopefully. Thanks for the info  Grin

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2009 March 09, 21:12:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can probably limp along for some time before the inevitable BFBVFS occurs.  Some (but not all) of the damage could be mitigated by mucking out the dummy files created in the move with SimPE, but if you don't plan to keep the hood long-term anyway, it's probably not worth the bother.

ETA:

Doesn't it just kill family/friend links?  I munged up "The Simpsons" house that way.  But it didn't kill the hood.

It does more than that.  It'll create a "dummy" duplicate file for every Sim known to each Sim in the household, which (a) clutters up the game with essentially useless data, and (b) if you put the household back in the same hood and meet the same people again, will result in two of the known Sim in their relationship panel, two memories of meeting them, etc.  Also, if I recall correctly, it creates problems by leaving a "hole" in the data of the source neighborhood which can later make the game behave weirdly, and breaks other lots whose occupants are known to the Sims in the lot you moved.  Also, if you put the lot into a different neighborhood, it will damage that one, too.

Timelycorruption, if you need to get an occupied house out of the way like that again, and don't want to lose all the Sims' belongings, I suggest the following procedure:

1.  In Neighborhood view, click on the lot and package it to a file.
2.  Move the family out of the house and into the Sim Bin.
3.  Use Clean Installer (NOT the Maxis unpacker) to reinstall the packaged house and Buy/Build contents only--uncheck the Sims in Clean Installer before you install, or you are asking for trouble!
4.  When you load the game again, you will now have the family in the Sim Bin and the furnished house in the Lots & Houses bin.  Double check that the house re-imported correctly, then delete the original (now unfurnished) house, or put it into the bin also if you like.  You can safely reunite the family with its home (in the same neighborhood) whenever and wherever it suits you.
« Last Edit: 2009 March 09, 22:10:34 by AmberDiceless » Logged

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 March 09, 22:01:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just have to say that I keep being amazed that a game can fuck itself up so badly with only the use of normal, ingame functions. It really is quite impressive.

I am truly sorry for your lots loss, timelycorruption.
timelycorruption
Corpulent Cretin

INTP, Explorer/Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 March 09, 23:33:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just have to say that I keep being amazed that a game can fuck itself up so badly with only the use of normal, ingame functions. It really is quite impressive.

I am truly sorry for your lots loss, timelycorruption.

EAxis really needs to be smacked. The lot of them. Did they ever even play their own game? Is this some sinister plot for replacement sales, or are they truly THAT dumb? (Man, the latter possibility is just sad.)

Thanks, it's nice to know your parys are with me. 

timelycorruption
Corpulent Cretin

INTP, Explorer/Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 March 09, 23:35:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can probably limp along for some time before the inevitable BFBVFS occurs.  Some (but not all) of the damage could be mitigated by mucking out the dummy files created in the move with SimPE, but if you don't plan to keep the hood long-term anyway, it's probably not worth the bother.

ETA:

It does more than that.  It'll create a "dummy" duplicate file for every Sim known to each Sim in the household, which (a) clutters up the game with essentially useless data, and (b) if you put the household back in the same hood and meet the same people again, will result in two of the known Sim in their relationship panel, two memories of meeting them, etc.  Also, if I recall correctly, it creates problems by leaving a "hole" in the data of the source neighborhood which can later make the game behave weirdly, and breaks other lots whose occupants are known to the Sims in the lot you moved.  Also, if you put the lot into a different neighborhood, it will damage that one, too.

Timelycorruption, if you need to get an occupied house out of the way like that again, and don't want to lose all the Sims' belongings, I suggest the following procedure:

1.  In Neighborhood view, click on the lot and package it to a file.
2.  Move the family out of the house and into the Sim Bin.
3.  Use Clean Installer (NOT the Maxis unpacker) to reinstall the packaged house and Buy/Build contents only--uncheck the Sims in Clean Installer before you install, or you are asking for trouble!
4.  When you load the game again, you will now have the family in the Sim Bin and the furnished house in the Lots & Houses bin.  Double check that the house re-imported correctly, then delete the original (now unfurnished) house, or put it into the bin also if you like.  You can safely reunite the family with its home (in the same neighborhood) whenever and wherever it suits you.

Thank you very much.  Grin I'm sure that will come in handy with the impending wiped Pleasantview looming over my head.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: