More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 16, 08:14:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  store edition - can't get rid of it
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: store edition - can't get rid of it  (Read 4879 times)
janeyw
store edition - can't get rid of it
« on: 2009 March 03, 06:41:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The new store edition download screwed up my game so I've been trying to get rid of it.  I deleted it as suggested by removing the EA download manager and using add and remove to uninstall my entire game and then reinstalled.

simPE still says there is something newer than Mansions and Gardens on my PC and it won't work right.  It doesn't work if you have store edition installed, well not properly.  I'm going through my entire PC trying to find anything from store that is lingering and found two files in pre-fetch.  I'm not savvy on these things and wondered if anyone could help me identify these three files and what they are for.

sims2SC.exe-0F9FC409.pf
SIMS2LAUNCHER.EXE-38E693F2.pf
SIMS2LAUNCHER.EXE-03DE98DE.pf

Are any of these related to the store edition?  I suspect the first one might be but I know nothing about this
SiuPang
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: store edition - can't get rid of it
« Reply #1 on: 2009 March 05, 20:45:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sims2SC.exe is the application file for Sims 2 Store. With the new store edition installed, this should be the file you should the one. (Correct me if I am wrong)
Sim2Launcher.exe is another application that starts up a window providing you info about what EPs and SPs you have and some news from the official site. You can also start the game there. I guess the only problem you are facing is your Sims' version is newer than SimPE and that's all.

BTW, can you choose to ignore the fact that you have a newer version of the game installed and go on using SimPE as usual? I remember when I already had M&G but SimPE only had a version up to Apartment Life, I just ignored that warning and kept on using SimPE. Can't you do the same here? I don't know much about the new Store as I have never tried it myself.  Undecided

PS. BTW, I have made a post at SimPE's forum to see if they will make a newer version of SimPE for this. Let's hope for some good news.
« Last Edit: 2009 March 05, 20:53:59 by SiuPang » Logged
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 March 06, 01:53:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BTW, can you choose to ignore the fact that you have a newer version of the game installed and go on using SimPE as usual? I remember when I already had M&G but SimPE only had a version up to Apartment Life, I just ignored that warning and kept on using SimPE. Can't you do the same here? I don't know much about the new Store as I have never tried it myself.  Undecided

In general, this is a very bad idea.  You were lucky because Mansions and Gardens has very few changes from Apartment Life.  There's a patch to change SimPE for AL to M&G on ambertation.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
SiuPang
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 March 06, 11:08:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In general, this is a very bad idea.  You were lucky because Mansions and Gardens has very few changes from Apartment Life.  There's a patch to change SimPE for AL to M&G on ambertation.

But I guess Store Edition adds nothing new. Not sure about this.
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2009 March 06, 21:47:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm going through my entire PC trying to find anything from store that is lingering and found two files in pre-fetch.  I'm not savvy on these things and wondered if anyone could help me identify these three files and what they are for.

sims2SC.exe-0F9FC409.pf
SIMS2LAUNCHER.EXE-38E693F2.pf
SIMS2LAUNCHER.EXE-03DE98DE.pf

Never. Touch. Prefetch. Windows will clean it out on its own, if you see any tutorials telling you to do anything with prefetch they're based on the wrong assumption that it will increase performance (it actually does the reverse).

I was just doing some basic relationship changes in relations.  I spent a whole evening doing it and when I went into the game nothing had stuck.

I thought that's been a problem for a long time. (since Freetime, earlier?)

You see, this is where I have a problem with store.  people download it thinking it's just a download manager and it isn't.  It recodes your game and renders it unplayable if you uninstall store.  I have written to the approipriate people to complain about it and they refunded me the money for all EP's bought with store.

Will look for those files as simPE still thinks I have something newer than M&G

Run regedit and go to "HKLM\Software\EA GAMES\The Sims 2" and look for references to the Store Edition or sims2sc.exe, assuming you've already uninstalled the store edition, it's possible some entries were left behind and that's why simpe is complaining.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
SiuPang
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 March 08, 10:26:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Somehow, I think I am lucky to be still using the old Store Edition. There are nothing really new in the new version any way. Futhermore, it looks like EA will not make any more new exclusives for Store! Sims 3 is out in June, and I guess they will add AL stuff and M&G stuff to the store somewhen between April and June.

So, if you still have a copy of the old Store Edition, you better use it! I backed it up before but not sure if you can install it without EADM.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: