More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 05:35:29

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Firefox and MTS2
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Firefox and MTS2  (Read 7166 times)
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
Firefox and MTS2
« on: 2009 March 02, 05:22:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not sure if this is even remotely the right place to be posting something like this, but it's a technical problem that's driving me nuts and this place has always at least pointed me in the right direction.

I switched over to using Firefox a couple of months ago after having some nasty virus get into my computer. For the most part, I'm pretty happy with Firefox, but when I first switched over, I discovered that MTS2 would crash the browser. Now, I knew this had to be something on my end because if the site crashed everyone using Firefox, there'd be a big uproar. A friend suggested I download the 'NoScript' plugin for Firefox and that seemed to help. I had to set most of my sites to allow, but eventually I was surfing fine and had no issues.

Suddenly, in the last week, MTS2 started crashing my browser again. NoScript doesn't seem to be helping. If I remove MTS2 from the trusted list, it allows me to go to the site, but I can't view anything. If I try and turn on things to actually see images or whatever, it crashes the whole thing again.

Does anyone have any insight into what might be causing this and how to fix it?

gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Firefox and MTS2
« Reply #1 on: 2009 March 02, 06:09:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the same problem. I blocked secure-us.imrworldwide.com with AdBlock and so far I've been able to visit MTS2 without my browser crashing.

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 March 02, 06:15:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

imrworldwide is a spam domain, yes, so you should always block that.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 March 02, 16:02:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never had the issue, but then I've had Adblock since about 30 seconds after switching to Firefox. It is your best friend.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 March 02, 19:45:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had AdBlock for ages as well but I had to manually add that domain.

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 March 02, 22:29:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm guessing AdBlock is another plugin?

Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 March 02, 23:53:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

More precisely, it's THE plugin  Grin. I consider Firefox as a bundle of Firefox+Adblock+NoScript. It's like a trinity: Firefox without any of the other two simply doesn't exist.

http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 March 27, 03:45:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the same problem with crashing (well, locking up) on MTS2 with IE7 and now with IE8. The solution Pescado mentioned has stopped the crashes. I think the problem is not in the browser, but in WinSock itself (the TCPIP part of Windows).
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 March 28, 18:29:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Keep in mind that with noscript it's not all or nothing.  I typically will only permit only so many scripts to run as necessary for the site to work as intended.  (Well ads are intended but you know what I mean).  Usually I start with allowing scripts for the domain (i.e. modthesims2).  Usually that's enough.  If it's not enough, I just turn them on and off, one by one to spot exactly which one I need to do whatever it is that's not working.  I almost never use the allow all option.  Most sites (this one being an rare exception) have a couple of  crappy script attempting to ruin your internet experience.  Thank god for noscript.  (which reminds me I really should donate)

With this method I barely ever have to use adblock.  Most websites using scripting now to annoy you with their crappy advertising.

Another useful addon is IE tab. It allows you to view websites using Internet Explorer.  Useful for those annoying sites, that do not work with Firefox.
« Last Edit: 2009 March 28, 22:34:17 by angelyne » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 March 28, 18:36:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I adblock anyway, because I'm a website rhino. Tongue

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 March 28, 22:32:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

okay I'll bite, what is a website rhino?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 March 29, 01:39:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I stomp and trample websites beneath my mighty feet as I rootle through it with my horned nose?

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 March 29, 06:22:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blocking the ads with your large hindquarters?

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: