More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 00:00:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Read novel
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Read novel  (Read 9068 times)
CandyToast
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP/INTJ Half C-3P0, Half evil genius

View Profile
Read novel
« on: 2009 February 28, 23:57:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I may be missing something but what is the "read novel" want (FT) actually wanting you to read? If you send them to read a book (romance etc.) it doesn't fulfill.

"The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions"
Fold Spindle Mutilate!
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Read novel
« Reply #1 on: 2009 March 01, 00:00:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It wants you to read a novel written by a Sim.
CandyToast
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 March 01, 00:05:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see, so sim writes novel and how does it get "read"? ( I haven't written a novel since before I got FT )

Fold Spindle Mutilate!
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 March 01, 00:06:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With FT, after you finish writing a novel, they deliver a copy of it to you. Then you can read it.
CandyToast
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 March 01, 00:07:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Neat! I felt so retarded making this thread, now I understand  Cheesy
Thank you, Caterpillar

Fold Spindle Mutilate!
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 March 01, 00:14:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It sucks that Sims who haven't written novels and don't live with anyone who has will get the want to read one. It also would have been nice for EAxis to allow you to order extra copies of your novels to give to friends or sell in a shop. Someone here posted a method to get multiple copies but it's really something they should have included in the game.
CandyToast
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 March 01, 00:16:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just read that thread and I thought "novel delivery...what novel delivery?"

Fold Spindle Mutilate!
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2009 March 01, 00:26:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It sucks that Sims who haven't written novels and don't live with anyone who has will get the want to read one. It also would have been nice for EAxis to allow you to order extra copies of your novels to give to friends or sell in a shop. Someone here posted a method to get multiple copies but it's really something they should have included in the game.

I actually wrote a tweak to allow you to sell novels in shops - they cost slightly more than books from shelves.  They restock just like regular buy-mode items and apparently are exact clones despite showing up as "Book Title" when out of stock.  'Tis attached, if you want it.

What I do in my hood is have the novel writer buy a cheapo community lot, putting the novel up for sale, and then have the owner of the local bookstore go to the lot and buy the novel to stock in their store.  That way the novel writer can go back to the community lot and retrieve the original copy to keep on their shelf.

* sellablenovels.package (0.41 KB - downloaded 393 times.)

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

CandyToast
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 March 01, 00:28:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Neat! I've never had an OFB bookstore either... It will be a busy evening I think!

Fold Spindle Mutilate!
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 March 01, 13:42:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, rufio. I haven't had a bookstore in ages because they only sold the base game books, and I just got bored with it. Now there's actually a reason to have a bookstore.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 March 01, 16:17:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was so tired of doing gifts with purchase and the table-cloning method that I quit having my sims write novels altogether. I even took the career choice out of my RandomStuff script.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 March 01, 18:09:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have any real novelists in my current hood for the same reason. I do have one Sim currently who has written 3 children's books (Animal Stories 1, 2 & 3). He was short a few thousand simoleons to buy the toy shop he wanted, so I had him crank out a few crappy kid's books to earn the money he needed. His girlfriend had a turn on for unemployed, so he didn't want to get a real job, lol. Now with rufio's mod I think he might add his books to his toy shop inventory, while I think about who will own my next bookshop and who will write the books.
simstate
Tasty Tourist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2009 March 02, 06:08:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What a cool hack, Rufio!
Just wondering - do you stock the custom novel in the bookshelf then put on sale or place the book on OFB shelves?
sleep
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 March 02, 09:53:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rufio, that's a great hack idea. Does the bookshop owner need multiple copies of the book for restocking?
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2009 March 03, 07:29:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What a cool hack, Rufio!
Just wondering - do you stock the custom novel in the bookshelf then put on sale or place the book on OFB shelves?

I've just been putting them on tables, actually, but I think they could probably go on OFB shelves.  I don't think putting them in the bookshelf and selling the bookshelf works, because I think books that go in the bookshelf are stored as some kind of lot-wide storage space (like leftovers) rather than actually having anything to do with that particular bookshelf.

Rufio, that's a great hack idea. Does the bookshop owner need multiple copies of the book for restocking?

Nope. Smiley  It just works like a buy mode item - money comes out of the family funds and new book appears.

kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 March 03, 20:26:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is ingenious!
I didn't even know sims could open functional bookstores at all.

I am going to have an ambitious sim open a bookstore, and act as a publisher. Essentially every time a sim writes a novel, he will receive it using the gift interaction. When I go to play him, I simply will stock his stores with the books he receives.

I may have my forest dwelling sim, and my legacy founder write some novels now. Can you use shift click copy on the novels to copy them?

Also, I want to know if it's possible for anyone to make an empty Craftmeister bookshelf with sideways slots, so when you stock your novels, it will look like a proper bookshelf, instead of having the books lying down. I would do it, but know nothing about making objects, so I can't.

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2009 March 03, 20:35:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can you use shift click copy on the novels to copy them?

No, you have to do something complicated with putting it on a table and putting the table in inventory, and pausing and unpausing the game and so forth, and it's easy to accidentally delete the novel instead of cloning it.  There was a discussion about it not long ago.  What's much easier, though, is just have a sim from another household go buy a copy of the novel and then give it back to the store owner.

kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 March 03, 21:06:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can't you make a hack to allow the object to be copied?

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2009 March 03, 21:29:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it can be copied, but the copy is not actually a copy.  See the earlier thread for details.  Anyway, it's a simple matter to just have a sim buy a copy from a community lot.

kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 March 03, 21:42:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, either way what I really want is that empty bookcase with sideways slots I mentioned earlier...

rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2009 March 03, 21:54:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I am not going to be able to make that, as I don't really know anything about making objects either.  I am also not a superhuman modder; just so you know, this was not a difficult mod to make.  I just cloned the right OBJD and changed like three of the values.

kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 March 03, 21:57:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you don't necessarily have to make it, but you must admit. It would be cool.

Edit: In fact, it would be more easy if the person who makes it only removes one row of books to place the custom ones. That way you wouldn't have around 50 slots to fill with custom novels.
« Last Edit: 2009 March 05, 00:22:37 by parrot » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: